LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Ents with spells / Isengard Orcs  (Read 5907 times)

March 16, 2009, 12:16:36 PM
Read 5907 times

Malachi

• Information Offline
  • Villager
Ents with spells / Isengard Orcs
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »
Starting:

1 Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
1 The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry
1 Gandalf, Manager of Wizards

Free Peoples (36):

1 Gandalf, Manager of Wizards
1 Skinbark, Fladrif
1 Ent Horde
1 Host of Fangorn
1 Treebeard, Keeper of the Watchwood
1 Quickbeam, Bregalad
1 Lindenroot, Elder Shepherd
2 Huorn

2 Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor
1 Albert Dreary, Entertainer from Bree

1 Narya
2 Gandalf's Staff

1 Glamdring, Lightning Brand
1 Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs

1 Brooding On Tomorrow
1 Sent Back

2 Roll of Thunder
2 Deep in Thought
2 Terrible and Evil
2 Fireworks
4 Servant of the Secret Fire
4 A Wizard Is Never Late

Shadow (37):
2 Isengard Artisan
4 Isengard Journeyman
3 Isengard Plodder
2 Isengard Retainer
3 Isengard Servant
4 Isengard Shaman
2 Isengard Smith
4 Isengard Tinker
4 Isengard Warrior
3 Isengard Worker
2 Grima, Chief Counselor
3 Saruman's Power

Sites:
1 Isengard Ruined
1 Rohirrim Camp
1 Hall of the Kings
1 Pelennor Plain
1 City Gates
1 Minas Tirith First Circle
1 Osgiliath Crossing
1 Watchers of Cirith Ungol
1 Dagorlad

This deck could be probably trimmed to 35/35, but for now I'll leave it the way it is. The Free Peoples side features Ents without Hobbits to support them, but with Gandalf to casts some spells instead. Set up early by using A Wizard Is Never Late, have Ents and Huorns cover Gandy's back, while he is playing with Servant of the Secret Fire to win skirmishes. Discard their conditions with Deep in Thought and Brooding On Tomorrow, use Roll of Thunder to get rid of Ithil Stone or Corsair Ships, play Terrible and Evil to prevent Enquea from wreacking Havoc. Staff can reduce the cost of the spells, but with Ents this seems a bit pointless though.

There are a lot of events which should all be played each turn to prevent a possible hand clog (or discarded with Lindenroot). Some will be more useful than other depending on the opponent's shadow, bring them back with Barliman and Fireworks. There are only 2 conditions, which Treebeard can bring back if needed. And yes, I have an extra Manager of Wizards with Sent Back in deck. The reason is: if by some unfortunate accident Gandalf will get killed, the unplayable events will clog the hand and the Ents will be left without support, so I want to be able to bring him back no matter what.

The Shadow is pretty standard  [Isengard] wounding Orcs. Depending on the opponent's fellowship, either wait 'till you get a killer swarm in hand for a single devastating blow, or empty your hand as much as possible to stop them from running. There are no conditions at all, so Saruman's Power will remove their toys while Isengard Warrior and Isengard Shaman prodide protection against archery. Grima, Chief Counselor is cheap and is invaluable if you decide to swarm them after all.

The sitepath is pretty standard, so you better make sure to move first, I'd also recommend to double for sanctuaries if possible. Any suggestions?

March 16, 2009, 01:45:49 PM
Reply #1

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Ents with spells / Isengard Orcs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 01:45:49 PM »
Pretty nice!

I'm not sure if Fireworks will works nice with the shadow you are pairing cause will be more freep cards at your deck and less chance to pull a minion.

The shadow need some crowding control or you will be overun by massive freeps like Ents or Wraiths. I usually just splash Enquea in but some people add some cheap uruks and put Greed along with...

March 17, 2009, 08:34:57 AM
Reply #2

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:34:57 AM »
I'd probably change manager of wizards for 4C90 the +3 strength is great, i don't understand Albert Dreary when you have deep in thought, consider adding a couple saved from the fire instead to cycle.
For the orcs maybe add 1 or 2 6R62 instant death for most companions with some 6U63 you could get rid of some orcs since that will let you replay them, lose isengard Shaman they all have 2-3 health so they should survive, i used to play a deck like this, i used a couple Isengard builder to help spring 6R62
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

March 17, 2009, 09:38:12 AM
Reply #3

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 09:38:12 AM »
I would use Scaffolding as its immune to Saruman's Power and will let you save some vital minions, or add in Isengard Tender for a quick regroup kill of annoying companions
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:40:07 AM by TheJord »
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

March 17, 2009, 10:45:36 AM
Reply #4

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 10:45:36 AM »
I'd probably change manager of wizards for 4C90 the +3 strength is great, i don't understand Albert Dreary when you have deep in thought, consider adding a couple saved from the fire instead to cycle.
For the orcs maybe add 1 or 2 6R62 instant death for most companions with some 6U63 you could get rid of some orcs since that will let you replay them, lose isengard Shaman they all have 2-3 health so they should survive, i used to play a deck like this, i used a couple Isengard builder to help spring 6R62

Without Albert... Greed = Horrible Death at Manuever since Deep in Though isn't affective against it... and he stays at table and you know that he will be there when you need, one thing you can't expect from an evnet card that you had 2 or 3 copies on the deck.

March 17, 2009, 11:58:44 AM
Reply #5

Malachi

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »
I deliberately removed all shadow events and possessions that I tried to fit in since I wanted the most basic swarm possible from the start. Those cards teng to clog hand if drawn too early (Fires and Foul Fumes) or too late (Scaffolding).