LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gondor Ranger Wounding  (Read 3143 times)

August 09, 2009, 10:11:50 PM
Read 3143 times

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Gondor Ranger Wounding
« on: August 09, 2009, 10:11:50 PM »
I haven't playtested this deck, but i think it can be competitive, it has a lot of tricks up its sleeve. the focus of the deck it to take care of minions in the maneuver phase.

Starting Fellowship:
Frodo, Resolute hobbit
The One Ring, Ring of Rings
Faramir, Captain of Ithilien
Halbarad, Ranger of the North

Companions:
Madril, Loyal Lieutenant
4x Aragorn, Isildur's Heir

Artifacts/Possessions:

Anduril, Sword that was Broken
Aragorn's Bow, Ranger's Longbow
2x Brego, Loyal Steed
3x Ithilien Blade
2x Kingsfoil
3x Ranger's Cloak

Conditions:
Ranger of the North
2x Houses of healing
4x Invigorated
4x Soldier's Cache
4x The Faithful Stone

At 35 cards, the deck is a little big. but with no events, you will be playing pretty much everything you get, and you have halabrad from the start, you can ditch extra cards for healing. so, lets start with the companions. resolute hobbit and ring of rings is important because there is no burden removal. also halbarad can get his bonus even if you bid up to 5 burdens. faramir gets a nice twilight reduction, and, as we'll see, he is very important to the deck.

it doesn't really matter if you go first or second, just whatever is your personal preference. but make sure you play prancing pony as soon as you can. and then play madril, he can help bump minion's site numbers up, protect your conditions, and give you the third ranger you need for soldier's cache. i also included 4 copies of aragorn so you should be able to get him fairly early, even though he isn't a ranger. he can get strength +5 when you have 4x faithful stone and a houses of healing in play.

there will most likely be a lot of exerting, therefore, i tried to weave a good deal of healing into the deck. with houses of healing, kingsfoil, ranger of the north, halbarad, invigorated, you should be able to heal sufficiently. ranger of the north and aragorn both have nice defender+1 abilities.

so, what tricks does this deck have? lets take a look:

massive token generation with the faithful stone, very effective in stopping swarm, but also useful for brego. lets say aragorn is fully loaded, and faramir has a cloak. gorn is vitality 6 faramir is 4. as long as you have enough tokens, you can exert gorn, heal him by exerting faramir. in this way, you can dis out 8 wounds in the maneuver phase.

use soldier's cache, cloak, madril, to bump up a minions site number, don't kill him, and use invigorated to heal. aragorn can also be very strong in a skirmish. if you don't want to have to go to the skirmish, you can also use ithilien blade.

so, for the most part, minions will be killed, discarded, or rendered useless, by the maneuver phase. if you do have to skirmish, you have gorn, and faramir who are your best skirmishers. and thats the basic idea.

thoughts, suggestions, constructive criticism is welcomed.

cheers!

-mm

August 10, 2009, 12:55:59 AM
Reply #1

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Life isn't a dress rehearsal.
Re: Gondor Ranger Wounding
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
Stewards' Legacy? It could be rolf-ing fun :)
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

August 11, 2009, 08:43:05 AM
Reply #2

WarriorOfTheNorth

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:43:05 AM »
I would ditch 2 of the faithful stones to add 2 more cards that are token holders.  Otherwise good deck =D>.

August 13, 2009, 09:07:53 PM
Reply #3

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
I would ditch 2 of the faithful stones to add 2 more cards that are token holders.  Otherwise good deck =D>.

no offense, but that is a bad idea. with 4x faithful stones, you can generate 4 tokens each time they play a minion. that means, you can stop all minions from skirmishing. and have tokens left over for brego. 4x faithful stone is probably the best token generator in the game.

faithful stone also combos nicely with elven supplies. change all those extra gondor tokens into elven tokens so that she elf can use them, and then you can really whoop tail.