LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: MTG reet  (Read 3396 times)

June 13, 2008, 04:01:29 PM
Read 3396 times

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
MTG reet
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:01:29 PM »
I'm interested in learning how to play MTG but I am a reet... please help me.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

June 13, 2008, 04:26:03 PM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: MTG reet
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 04:26:03 PM »
Ok, I'd suggest surfing through the Wizards website (www.wizards.com/magic),they used to have an online tutorial there. If you're still having trouble then, I can compile a simplified manual for you.

June 14, 2008, 07:53:13 AM
Reply #2

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 07:53:13 AM »
Hey! Welcome over to MtG!

First thing to know about MtG, its a high-powered game. Under the axiom that "if everything's broken, nothing is."

LotR I would consider a middle-powered game, whereas other card games such as Redemption are low-powered.

So if you discover an AWESOME COMBO, chances are, it really isn't, it'll get killed by the first D-Storm/Bogardan Hellkite combo that comes around, or possibly countered into oblivion (or actually knocked out by Oblivion Rings) by U/B control.

So, now that that's said, I learned to play on the MtG tutorial. It really is great.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/products/LearnToPlayMagic.zip

Rundown on colors.

Blue- Color of the Mind. Very much controlish. Sometimes referred to as "permission" decks, this color runs all the counterspells. You decide what your opponent does.
White- Color of Justice. These decks are usually aggro, although they have a control element to them.
Red- Color of Fire. Basically, blast, slam, smash, and otherwise demolish your way to victory.
Black- Color of Deception. Pretty much, you do mean things to your opponent, life loss, etc. Perhaps the most popular deck is disruption- translation- your opponent no longer has any cards in hand to play.
Green- Color of Nature. Can you say, BIG? The point of green is to get big guys hitting hard. That's pretty much it. Since big guys cost a lot of mana, you also have a lot of mana-accelerating in this color.

Decktypes-

Aggro- Smash your opponent hard and fast.
Control- The match is played at your pace, usually slowly.
Combo- Get a certain card combination to go off, scoring an auto-win.

Anyways...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:41:19 PM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

June 15, 2008, 10:32:13 AM
Reply #3

Yanko Markovic

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:32:13 AM »
good overview NB, although I already know it. and for a good tutorial, TheJord, the one NB said is nice
"To ask if Orcs "are" Communists is to me as sensible as asking if Communists are Orcs." - JRR Tolkien, regarding his "allegory".