LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Elves Swimming Upriver w/ Gollum and Nazgûl Burdening  (Read 8326 times)

July 06, 2008, 01:10:13 PM
Read 8326 times

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Elves Swimming Upriver w/ Gollum and Nazgûl Burdening
« on: July 06, 2008, 01:10:13 PM »
This is the first deck in a long time that I have created entirely from scratch. I usually take a good idea someone else has had and make extensive tweaks to make it more my own, so I still end up with a unique deck, though one based at least partially in things that have likely been seen before. For THIS deck, however, I took a basic premise and ran with it: trying to squeeze as much out of river sites as possible. In the end, the resulting deck features only four river sites (and four forests), but I think it still gets plenty of oomph out of each and every site on the path.

Alright, here goes: one of my strangest decks ever.

FREE PEOPLES (37 cards):

Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom w/ The Ring of Rings

Legolas, Son of Thranduil (starting)
Duilin, Ranger from Blackroot Vale (starting)
Glorfindel, Eldarin Lord (Prancing Pony pull)

Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad x2
Goldberry, River-Daughter
Faramir's Company

Galadriel's Silver Ewer
Nenya, Ring of Adamant x2
Phial of Galadriel
Blade of Lindon x3
Elven Bow x2
Gondorian Blade
Ranger's Cloak

No Stranger to the Shadows
The Last Alliance of Elves and Men
Songs of the Blessed Realm
Gift of Boats

Feathered x4
Voice of Nimrodel x3
A Ranger's Versatility x4
Pathfinder x4

Ideally, you want to go first so you can start out with The Prancing Pony and use it to grab Eldarin Lord, and with plenty of ways to boost Galadriel's resistance (up to 12, actually), you can afford to add a couple burdens to ensure you do get to go first. Pathfinder and the Shadow side will control the sitepath well enough for you later...though going second isn't all-together terrible either should that be how things shake out.

This deck does a little choking to try and keep your small fellowship intact, with NSttS and many cheap conditions and events keeping the twilight pool from getting too flooded. But the main thing it does is wound minions with archery and A Ranger's Versatility, then finish them off with Feathered and a seriously boosted Duilin, who is a strength 13 damage +1 beast with the Gondorian Blade and The Last Alliance of Elves and Men and assuming he's at a forest or river.

Healing is rather extensive thanks to Herald To Gil-galad, Ring of Adamant, and Faramir's Company. Pathfinder, as mentioned before, controls the sitepath when you get ahead of your opponent, and Gift of Boats can make for a nasty surprise at the right time. :twisted: Oh, and Songs of the Blessed Realm may even let you peel some burdens.

The Shadow side is both familiar to those of that have played me before, and also very different....

SHADOW (37 cards:)

Gollum, Stinker
Gollum, Mad Thing
Gollum, Dark as Darkness
The Witch-king, Captain of the Nine Riders x2
Ulaire Attea, Second of the Nine Riders x2
Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul x2
Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders x2
Ulaire Nelya, Ringwraith in Twilight
Ulaire Otsea, Duplicitous Specter x3
Ulaire Toldea, Black Shadow x2

Slippery As Fishes x3
Not Yet Vanquished
Heavy Burden
Lingering Shadow x3
The Ring Draws Them

Captured By The Ring x4
Wild Light of Madness x3
Dark Approach x3
Dark Fell About Him

The point here is two-fold: burden like crazy (mainly with Gollum), and slowly pick companions off (mostly with the Nazzies).

Two of the Gollums here ( Mad Thing and Stinker ) add burdens, and the other ( Dark as Darkness ) can use those burdens to create twilight when needed. Captured By The Ring can pull whatever version you need at the time from your deck or discard pile. Assuming he survives until regroup, you can then discard him with Heavy Burden to turn the threats added by CBTR into burdens. Slippery As Fishes makes him very hard to kill (or even beat) at your river sites. Wild Light of Madness adds eveb MORE burdens...or at least exertions. And Not Yet Vanquished pairs with the other minions here to REALLY pile those burdens on...

...because the other minions are Nazzies, and are all fierce. :twisted: They're mainly here to slowly pick apart the fellowship, then slap Lingering Shadow on companions and prevent them from healing without making corruption creep dangerously too close. The Ring Draws Them uses those burdens to give you more twilight each turn, and between that and Dark Approach (and Black Shadow to pull it back a couple times), you should be able to get quite a few out by the later sites.

The sites, as I mentioned, play a key role in this deck as well.

SITES:

(0) The Angle
(0) Anduin Banks
(0) Woody-End
[2] Mithlond
[2] Caras Galadhon
[2] Fords of Isen
[3] Old Forest Road
[3] The Prancing Pony
[4] Sirannon Ruins

Each site directly aids one side of your deck or the other. The Angle and Woody-End are the bread and butter of Nazgul (and especially Forestguls), and pair with Caras Galadhon and Old Forest Road to give you enough forests for Dark Approach to help you out, although not likely at its maximum until late in the game. Old Forest Road certainly benefits your fellowship as well, as does Fords of Isen (since your companions will likely be bearing at least 2 possessions). The Prancing Pony pulls Glorfindel, if you recall. With a fellowship of only four companions, Anduin Banks aids only YOUR Shadow side, hopefully dishing out more wounds to your opponent's fellowship. Sirannon Ruins gives your Shadow plenty of twilight to play with when you need it, and can be dropped and pulled before your own fellowship reaches it with Third of the Nine Riders. And the crown jewel is Mithlond, which can ALSO be dropped, pulled, and redropped with TotNR to force Lingering Shadowed companions to heal, and thus, add burdens. (And the healing it can provide for YOUR fellowship is nice, eh?)

This is a pretty rough draft, and I have no idea how well it would fare, but I DO like some of the stuff in here and think it could work rather well with some tweaks. So help me make those tweaks, eh? :D I WANT you to tear this deck apart and tell me how awful parts of it are. That's the only way to make it better! :up:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:40:33 AM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 06, 2008, 03:58:02 PM
Reply #1

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
Re: Elves Swimming Upriver w/ Gollum and Nazgûl Burdening
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 03:58:02 PM »
38/38 is always too big unless you've got Dwarves and Moria. Its so inconsistent. So that's the first thing I'm throwing out there.

Smeagol + Safe Passage = pwnage. Twould be awesome to choke, and give you access to better site-path control cards, and also a nice way to choke the deck. Master of Healing, cut. Got enough healing already. Feathered....not in this deck. Great card, wrong deck. I would go for more Voice of Nimrodel, personally, or that event that makes a minion strength -3 if at a river. Forgot which it was.

A Ranger's Versatility is just dang AWESOME! You need 1 more.

Unfortunately, to slim the deck, you will have to let go of Secluded Homestead, The Tale of Gil-Galad and 1 Elrond, plus the Master of Healing's.

Shadow side- Frenzied Attack! Completely sweet! But still need to cut, so IDK...I'll let someone else critique.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

July 07, 2008, 12:52:37 AM
Reply #2

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:52:37 AM »
A Ranger's Versatility has got an erratum and isn't that awesome anymore. Sure to exhaust a minion is good, but it used to be soo much better :D Just spot a ranger at a river and exhaust 2 minions....
I am not as harsh as NB, but I have to agree with him on size. I run sml decks nowadays, used to make them 35-35, but nowadays I try to make them 30-30 because if you need certain cards, it is horrible to wait a long time.....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

July 07, 2008, 07:05:18 AM
Reply #3

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:05:18 AM »
Still awesome. Even with errata.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

July 07, 2008, 09:29:58 AM
Reply #4

Malachi

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »
Especially in archery decks like this one. Exhaust Balrog, or Sauron, or Shelob in maneuver, then finish it off with only 1-2 fellowship archery. Awesome :)

July 07, 2008, 09:49:09 AM
Reply #5

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »
Quote from: NBarden
Smeagol + Safe Passage = pwnage. Twould be awesome to choke, and give you access to better site-path control cards, and also a nice way to choke the deck. Master of Healing, cut. Got enough healing already. Feathered....not in this deck. Great card, wrong deck. I would go for more Voice of Nimrodel, personally, or that event that makes a minion strength -3 if at a river. Forgot which it was.

I had toyed with Simple Stoor, Deagol (which would be nice for pulling artifacts and possessions), and Safe Passage, but it just didn't leave much room for support for my Elves and Duilin, so I cut it. I have every intention of trying to make a deck that uses and abuses Smeagol with Safe Passage, though. :up: There's one leftover of my Smeagol-integrating attempts, though: Songs of the Blessed Realm, which I put in to counteract the burdens from Smeagol and Deagol to a degree and opted to leave a single copy of in the draft I posted. Can't hurt, right? If I end up further trimming, though, that will likely be the first thing to go.

I did cut Master of Healing (and an Elrond) because I foolishly forgot about one of the best [Elven] healing cards to use here: Nenya, Ring of Adamant! Doh. Plugged in a couple of those instead. I did add one more VoN, but I disagree entirely about cutting Feathered. Combined with the archery and A Ranger's Versatility, I think it would be nothing short of lethal and think it's a GREAT addition here.

Oh, and the event you're talking about could be The Lady's Blessing (which makes an Elf at a river strength +3) or Kindreds Estranged (a [2]-cost event that can be pulled back from discard and makes a minion at a forest or river -3). I am assuming you mean TLB, though, and I had seriously considered it, but I think Feathered makes more sense.

A Ranger's Versatility is just dang AWESOME! You need 1 more.

Done!

Unfortunately, to slim the deck, you will have to let go of Secluded Homestead, The Tale of Gil-Galad and 1 Elrond, plus the Master of Healing's.

Did all of those, but I put in some other cards (Ring of Adamant, another ARV and VoR) instead, so the net result is that the deck is now 37 instead of 38 cards. Ah well. I'll see if I can slim it down some more.

Shadow side- Frenzied Attack! Completely sweet! But still need to cut, so IDK...I'll let someone else critique.

Good call. I'll see if I can squeeze in a copy, but there's not much room without seriously weakening it somewhere else. I think multiple copies would be better saved for a true Ninja Gollum deck.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:51:11 AM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 07, 2008, 03:22:26 PM
Reply #6

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 03:22:26 PM »
Try a different Smeagol. Scout and Guide or Poor Creature are always good. I prefer Poor Creature for his sweet ability to dump cards you don't need.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

July 07, 2008, 06:58:59 PM
Reply #7

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »
Yeeeeeah. This VS. Shotgun Enquea + Morcs + Gates of the Dead City = NOTTA CHANCE.

NK just crushed me. I limped into Site 8 with three companions left, but man, was it ugly...and I didn't make it any further. Didn't help that his fellowship had Smeagol with about a thousand Still Far Ahead. Yuck.

I think I need to scrap the Shadow side, suck it up, and pair it with all-out Forestguls to have a better chance. Just can't function well enough if the opponent has decent sitepath control. I got plenty of Pathfinders, but it wasn't nearly enough. Blech.
Best regards,
Dáin

July 08, 2008, 12:09:26 PM
Reply #8

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »
Cut about 4 cards each side, IMO.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

July 08, 2008, 12:19:15 PM
Reply #9

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 12:19:15 PM »
Cycling wasn't the problem, actually. Had I not begun simply sprinting in Region 2, I would have nearly exhausted my deck, I think. I got the right cards when I needed them, and had all my bows and Duilin fully tanked in plenty of time. It was just a really bad matchup with lots of burdening and exerting and opposing site control and direct wounding (thanks to Shotgun Enquea), which was the only thing that was able to touch Duilin. Couldn't have picked a much worse matchup.

All that said, I really think the two sides of this deck just don't mesh very well. Without proper site control, both sides of my deck were nerfed too much. I'll tinker with it and try again sometime, but probably not for a while. That was a very disheartening loss.
Best regards,
Dáin

July 09, 2008, 03:04:54 AM
Reply #10

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 03:04:54 AM »
I'd drop Duilin for Thorongil; Duilin's only strength 8 when communing with trees (or water), but Thorongil starts at 8, is usually 10, and has an extra point of vitality. Plus you get access to his bow--the FotR version so you can finish off the minion that got hit with A Ranger's Versatility. Alternatively you can forgo the bow in order to use Anduril, Flame of the West, which can set up a river at site 6 for the triple move. I'll go with Sword That Was Broken here. Thorongil + STWB + Ranger's Cloak + fully powered TLAoEaM is 15/6/9. Not bad.

-1 Duilin, Ranger from Blackroot Vale
-1 Gondorian Blade

+1 Aragorn, Thorongil
+2 Anduril, Sword That Was Broken
+1 Aragorn's Bow
+1 The Last Alliance of Elves and Men

This leaves a 2-cost opening in the starting fellowship, and the first companion that comes to mind is Orophin, Silvan Elf. He's often strength 10 as well and would make a good backup for Aragorn. I might also switch Legolas to Greenleaf to help with ARV, but that's like stealing the deck's mascot. ;)

+1 Orophin, Silvan Elf (or Glorfindel, Revealed in Wrath if you decide to drop Eldarin Lord)

Blade of Lindon has always looked weak to me; not that Elves have many generic choices, but IMO both Elven Sword and Sword of the Fallen win out. I'd go with Elven Sword here. Helps cycle, and more importantly, pitching cards triggers Glimpse of Fate. Works for [Elven] and [Gondor] alike; now Aragorn can take down an 18 strength minion, which is looking good.

-3 Blade of Lindon

+3 Elven Sword
+2 Glimpse of Fate

Been adding more than I've been dropping, so something else has to give. The one at the top of my list is Voice of Nimrodel; it might delay minions a bit (not so much if they're fierce), but I think better wounding or beatdown would be an overall stronger defense. If those are dropped Songs of the Blessed Realm can go, too. The other one that really sticks out is No Stranger to the Shadows. Not a choke deck, and not worth the slot, IMO.

-3 Voice of Nimrodel
-1 No Stranger to the Shadows
-1 Songs of the Blessed Realm

At this point the count is at 38. I'll list the other drops on my list, though maybe some can find a spot.

-1 Glorfindel, Eldarin Lord (if you want to keep it at 4 companions)
-1 Goldberry, River-daughter
-1 Faramir's Company (lack of threat removal if Glorfindel is dropped)
-1 Phial of Galadriel

Here's what it looks like at 34 cards:

1 Legolas, Son of Thranduil (starting)
1 Orophin, Silvan Elf (starting)
1 Aragorn, Thorongil
2 Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
2 Anduril, Sword That Was Broken
1 Aragorn's Bow
2 Elven Bow
3 Elven Sword
1 Galadriel's Silver Ewer
2 Nenya, Ring of Adamant
1 Ranger's Cloak
1 Gift of Boats
2 Glimpse of Fate
2 The Last Alliance of Elves and Men
4 A Ranger's Versatility
4 Feathered
4 Pathfinder

Hope that helps without moving too far from your theme. Still got ARV and Gift of Boats! ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:27:44 AM by Elessar's Socks »

July 09, 2008, 08:42:55 AM
Reply #11

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 08:42:55 AM »
Yeah, I do like that, ES. Thanks for the ideas. :gp:

I had seriously considered Orophin already, as I LOVE his text in a pre-skirmish wounding deck like this one. I have a couple other decks where I run him...*gasp*...without his brother Rumil (sacrilege, I know :P), usually along with a couple Elven Guardian.

I had wanted to squeeze Aragorn in there, but I REALLY wanted to keep it at 4 companions, so I opted for the fellowship you see in the original post instead. Maybe I'd even considering doing Galadriel, Legolas, Aragorn, and Duilin. Hmmm....

I'll probably try both ways, with Galadriel/Legolas/Aragorn/Duilin in one deck and Galadriel/Legolas/Aragorn/Orophin in the other. We'll see...I'll play around with it.

Taking some of your ideas and some of mine together, what about this?

FREE PEOPLES (36 cards):

Legolas, Son of Thranduil (starting)
Orophin, Silvan Elf (starting)
Aragorn, Thorongil (Pracing Pony pull)

Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad x2
Goldberry, River-daughter

Elven Bow x2
Elven Sword x3
Galadriel's Silver Ewer
Phial of Galadriel
Nenya, Ring of Adamant x2
Anduril, Flame of the West
Aragorn's Bow, Ranger's Longbow
Ranger's Cloak

Gift of Boats
Glimpse of Fate x2
The Last Alliance of Elves and Men
Into The West x2
Namarie x2

Feathered x4
A Ranger's Versatility x4
Pathfinder x2

Into The West combos very nicely with Ring of Adamant to remove threats from Ranger's Longbow (which I prefer over Aragorn's Bow since I found healing to be a problem before). Namarie works nicely now with two hunters, and could be reinforced quite a bit by Galadriel's Silver Ewer and the [Elven] events we have here. And with the sitepath not being quite as critical now (partly by less forest/river cards and partly by the fact I plan on pairing this with straight-out Forestguls now), we can drop a couple Pathfinder. To compensate, I think I WILL go with Flame of the West to better set up a jaw-dropping Gift of Boats in Region 3. :up:

I'll re-post this with a new Shadow side and site list in another thread later. Thanks for the tips!
Best regards,
Dáin

July 09, 2008, 01:50:20 PM
Reply #12

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »
Ah, you have a choice to make! Flame of the West doesn't allow Aragorn to bear any other weapons, like his bow.

If you end up going with Duilin, how about using Faramir, Captain of Ithilien instead? (Poor Duilin, he tries, he really does.) Usually an extra point of strength, helps power Namarie, and extra healing for Aragorn. In that case you get access to Faramir's Bow and Hardy Garrison as well. Starts changing your deck around--this could turn into a modern TLAoEaM deck--but just a thought.