LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Driven By Threats (FP only)  (Read 8233 times)

July 16, 2008, 01:57:38 PM
Read 8233 times

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Driven By Threats (FP only)
« on: July 16, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
I've always wanted to make a deck based around Aragorn, Driven By Need, Merry, Rohirrim Squire, and Pippin, Sworn To Service. They just seem to be MADE to all work together, with Merry adding the threats and making Pippin and Aragorn big, then Aragorn conveniently removing the threats in regroup to recycle the next turn. I've dabbled in a few Expanded and Standard decks using the trio, and now, for my first King block deck, I figured they'd be a good place to start.

I went even one step farther and made TWO similiar--yet quite different--decks out of them. :)

FREE PEOPLES (37 cards):

Frodo, Hope of Free Peoples w/ The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry

Merry, Rohirrim Squire (starting)
Pippin, Sworn To Service (starting)
Gimli, Faithful Companion (starting)

Aragorn, Driven By Need x4

Anduril, Flame of the West
Footman's Armor
Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon x2
Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs
Orc Armor
Merry's Sword
Merry's Armor
Pippin's Sword
Pippin's Armor

Hearts Raised x2
The Tale of the Great Ring x2

Stout Resistance x3
Dagger Strike x3
Counts But One x2
Out of Darkness
Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom x4
A Marvel x2
Noble Intentions

As mentioned above, Rohirrim Squire is your main engine for generating threats, which makes Aragorn, Pippin, and Gimli (with his axe) a lethal little fellowship. Since Merry's ability can only add 2 threats, however, there are several ways to get that last one. Stout Resistance can add another and has the added benefit of being a very nice (and free!) strength pump for Aragorn. Counts But One adds a threat and also lets Gimli replace one of your vulnerable Hobbits in a skirmish. If you're feeling dangerous and want to throw Frodo into a skirmish, Bane of the Eight Legs can add a threat AND discard a minion...though it's only helpful if there are fierce minions around.

Speaking of skirmishing, there's plenty of other help for that, too. A Marvel, Noble Intentions, and Dagger Strike -- paired with Merry and Pippin's swords and armor -- makes your Hobbits a rare sight here: ones that can actually fight! The Tale of the Great Ring provides defense against particularly large minions, especially early on when you're trying to get all their gear on them. Aragorn also gets to use Dagger Strike, as well as the aforementioned Stout Resistance. Gimli really only has his axe, initiative, and a single Out of Darkness to help him out, though hopefully that will usually be enough to mop up anything left over.

Removing threats is pretty easy. Aragorn's regroup ability does a fine job, but since we'd usually prefer not to exert him twice, there are plenty of other methods. Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom works nicely, though ALSO requires some exerting; the nicest thing about it is that you can add some threats during skirmish (especially by pumping Merry up), reap their benefits, remove them with NfFatRoD, and then do it AGAIN that same skirmish phase. Truly nasty. :twisted: After skirmishing is over, Hearts Raised can toss any excess cards in your hand to remove threats before you decide whether or not to move again.

Now, the second deck. Like I said, similiar, but one key companion change makes a BIG difference in how certain things are implemented....

FREE PEOPLES (37 cards):

Frodo, Hope of Free Peoples w/ The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry

Merry, Rohirrim Squire (starting)
Pippin, Sworn To Service (starting)
Gandalf, Leader of Men (starting)

Aragorn, Driven By Need x4

Anduril, Flame of the West
Footman's Armor
Gandalf's Staff, Focus of Power
Glamdring, Elven Blade
Shadowfax, Greatheart
Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs
Orc Armor
Merry's Sword
Merry's Armor
Pippin's Sword
Pippin's Armor

Hearts Raised x2
The Tale of the Great Ring x2

Stout Resistance x3
At His Command x2
Dagger Strike
Let Us Not Tarry x3
Citadel to Gate
Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom x4
Noble Intentions

Gandalf adds a whole new dimension to the trio, mainly because he can use the fact that all three threat-loving companions happen to have the Gandalf signet. This opens up Let Us Not Tarry as a strength -3 event for ANY companion's skirmish. Nifty! It also lets us stuff in Citadel to Gate for use at the most opportune moment, healing all companions of one culture (probably [Shire] will be best most of the time) and removing ALL threats. Shadowfax, Greatheart also gives us one more method with which to add that final threat we may need to make Pippin and Aragorn as powerful as possible.

There's one more fun little trick to be had with signets: and it ain't with Gandalf's this time, either. At His Command --typically used only in [Gondor] Wraith decks -- might seem an odd addition to a fellowship full of Gandalf signets (and very much NON-Wraithy companions)...until one notices that Gandalf, Leader of Men just so happens to have the signet required by the event: Aragorn's! This turns At His Command into what should be AT LEAST a strength +3 pump for Gandalf, if not more. Not bad, not bad.

Critique away! Like I said, these are my first attempts at a King block fellowship, so I'm sure there are kinks to work out. I'm counting on you more experienced King block players to help this deck out, if you have the time to do so. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 21, 2008, 05:24:37 PM
Reply #1

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Driven By Threats (FP only)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:24:37 PM »
Merry's ability can add 3 threats.

Consider: there are 2 threats. You cannot spot 3 threats, therefore Merry can add a threat using his ability.

I use a similar deck to your second, but it's expanded and so I run Trust Me As You Once Did with Legolas, Elven Comrade and Gimli, Unbidden Guest with healing provided mainly by Have Patience for Aragorn (which by the way you should definitely have in your second deck for Aragorn).

Thranduil
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:28:05 PM by Thranduil »

August 09, 2008, 07:36:34 AM
Reply #2

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 07:36:34 AM »
Second deck, I'm going to make a radical suggestion that sounds flat out odd.

Frodo, Wicked Masster?

Seriously, his ability could be a lifesaver in King-Block, he's Gandy signet, and the adding 3 twilight for Hope of Free Peoples could really hurt.

Also, just cut the special weapons for Merry and Pip for 2 hobbit swords. That way, you pick which one gets it, since you won't be using the ability on Merry's AT ALL and probably not the one on Pippin's.

And you're still making big decks Dain. Tsk, tsk. ;)

Drop Orc Armor, the -1 isn't worth the card slot, esp since you'll very very rarely run into any circumstance in which it will make a difference. Drop Noble Intentions, if you want, run Dagger Strikes, much better, but at most 2. Cut At His Command, not sure why you even have it in there...cut 2 NFFATROD, I know you love it, and its good here, but you don't need 4.

Crazy idea number 2. Start Sam, Great Elf Warrior and draw Gorn and Gandy. :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 07:42:30 AM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

January 18, 2009, 07:29:24 PM
Reply #3

GarrisonofGondor

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Let the armies of Mordor know this....
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »
 I would start Legolas, Nimble Warrior. My friend has a variation of this deck, and he uses Knight's Spear on Aragorn.
"Never Again, will the land of my people, fall into enemy hands! For Gondor! For Gondor! For Gondor!

https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=426.120

February 10, 2009, 02:19:08 PM
Reply #4

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:19:08 PM »
knights spear is simply DEADLY with aragorn.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

February 17, 2009, 07:39:25 AM
Reply #5

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:39:25 AM »
if you can find room id throw in a couple End of the Game to help if 'gorn gets exhausted, i agree with Nbarden Frodo, wicked masster would actually be great in the second deck since king block minions are mostly sauron witch stop being roaming at site 6 Knights Spear in stead of Anduril, you'll need a way to add threats if merry is killed ala Mumak Commander
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

June 05, 2009, 03:20:01 PM
Reply #6

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »
So, forgive my ignorance, but why is knight's spear so great with aragorn?  Is it due to the fact he receives a strength bonus from his text?
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

June 06, 2009, 01:40:07 AM
Reply #7

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 01:40:07 AM »
yes it gives him a strength bonus from it's text and his
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

July 19, 2009, 08:23:03 AM
Reply #8

Snazzy

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 08:23:03 AM »
 I have a similar deck as GoG said. http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=2145.0 It is outdated, but I plan to to update it today.
 How do you pull Aragorn?
We are the Microsoft Inc. Open your ports and surrender your computers. We will add your software and hardware distinctiveness to our own. Your OS will adapt to service us. Resistance is pointless.

July 19, 2009, 04:15:24 PM
Reply #9

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »
probably by stacking him.  I can't think of any king block cards that pull him from your draw deck.  I could be wrong though.
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd