LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: What would you change in FOTR Block?  (Read 19022 times)

May 16, 2010, 02:04:46 PM
Read 19022 times

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
What would you change in FOTR Block?
« on: May 16, 2010, 02:04:46 PM »
As some of you already knows, I'm currently making a DC set based on the short movie The Hunt for Gollum. This set is supposed to be a part of the FOTR Block. I'd like to know, from you, FOTR Block players, what would you change in this block? Which culture or strategy needs improvement?

So far here are my thoughts...

FP
Solo Elves are almost impossible to play.
Choke is annoying.
The Arwen-Aragorn strategy Beren and Luthien and Gift of the Evenstar never worked.
Horn of Boromir can be a bit annoying as well.

Shadow
Moria is fine.
Uruks are good.
Sauron beatdown decks need improvements compared to Uruks Beatdown.
I feel like [Isengard] Orcs are a bit weaker as well.
Corruption is hard to achieve in FOTR block. Uruk Corruption is actually an epic FAIL.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 02:12:14 PM by Cw0rk »

May 16, 2010, 07:41:11 PM
Reply #1

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
Re: What would you change in FOTR Block?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »
for sauron beatdown, you just need a better way to make them fierce or damage+1

a fourth companion is all that's needed for mono elves to be playable, and a non-unique hand weapon.

for uruk corruption, make a card that puts the ring on in the isengard culture, that way, uruk spy and too much attention would work.
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

May 17, 2010, 01:04:00 AM
Reply #2

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
I wanted to make a Tale deck using Bilbo combined with Elves and Red Book and The Council of Elrond. Too expensive.

Lots of cards refer to Tales, but as a strategy it is under developed or simply doesn't work because it is too expensive.

May 17, 2010, 01:35:53 AM
Reply #3

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:35:53 AM »
I wanted to make a Tale deck using Bilbo combined with Elves and Red Book and The Council of Elrond. Too expensive.

Lots of cards refer to Tales, but as a strategy it is under developed or simply doesn't work because it is too expensive.

I also tried that... Twilight Nazzies hit me at Site 2 and I was dead...

But still, FotR Block is the best Block ever!

May 17, 2010, 03:52:05 PM
Reply #4

Smeagollum

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
it's x-list.cards are meant to play. give them an erratum, but don't x

May 17, 2010, 06:15:19 PM
Reply #5

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
i didn't think fotr block had an x-list?
It doesn't have one, but I think that he means that the FOTR cards that are x-listed in other format should be errated.

May 17, 2010, 07:52:13 PM
Reply #6

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 07:52:13 PM »
it's x-list.cards are meant to play. give them an erratum, but don't x

The single best way to turn off new players to the game is to give them a bunch of errata to memorize. Banning or restricting cards is much cleaner.

May 17, 2010, 09:34:33 PM
Reply #7

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »

The single best way to turn off new players to the game is to give them a bunch of errata to memorize. Banning or restricting cards is much cleaner.

this game already has heaps of errata, bans, clarifications, restrictions, rules for different formats. add to this an absence of an up-to-date rulebook. all of this will always be a barrier for new players.

expanding the existing errata, bans, etc will certainly add to the problem.

the problem with lotr is this - it is a customisable card game with finite customisability because it is no longer in production. this makes established players start asking questions like - what would you change, etc. the questions are most likely hypothetical - but they don't have to be.

in the event that a PC ever gets up and running, part of their goals should be to simplify the entry point for new players. providing physical cards with actual errata (via printable pdfs) is a good stategy that has been used by other pc's to address the problem. i guess my point is, errata can be good for the game without turning new players away, provided it is done right.

May 18, 2010, 03:44:25 PM
Reply #8

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:44:25 PM »
Let's not start a PC topic here.

I can also ask you, what do you don't like in FOTR Block?

May 18, 2010, 10:47:29 PM
Reply #9

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 10:47:29 PM »
Let's not start a PC topic here.

Sorry

May 19, 2010, 11:36:02 AM
Reply #10

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 11:36:02 AM »
I would make (and will for our play group reboot) these preliminary changes. This is the beginning of the BG (or Bluegrass) format we will be using in Kentucky.

1) Eliminate errata. It's too cumbersome.

2) Comprise an R-List of the following:

3) As a consequence of Action Step #1 the some cards would need to be X-Listed as different printed versions of them exist. Others will be X'd to promote more varied deck types (i.e., something other than Horn or Choke) in the competitive play environment. The X-List would look as follows:

Obviously there will be additions, subtractions and revisions to this list pending the outcome of playtesting. When we have a finalized format in place, it will be posted here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:38:57 AM by Hobbiton Lad »

May 19, 2010, 03:55:18 PM
Reply #11

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 03:55:18 PM »
Mmm... personally, I like the fact that there are no x-listed cards in FOTR Block.

I would even remove Forces of Mordor from the R-list if I could.

May 20, 2010, 12:05:25 AM
Reply #12

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 12:05:25 AM »
@ Hobbiton Lad, why would you want to break such a small set? It is good as it is, sure, with very strong cards, but it needs skill to play against certain decks. Forces of Mordor would be off my list as well, to give Sauron an extra 'umpf'. They are pretty condition based, and that is a weakness.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

May 20, 2010, 06:53:34 AM
Reply #13

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 06:53:34 AM »
@ Hobbiton Lad, why would you want to break such a small set? It is good as it is, sure, with very strong cards, but it needs skill to play against certain decks. Forces of Mordor would be off my list as well, to give Sauron an extra 'umpf'. They are pretty condition based, and that is a weakness.

Because for all the supposed "variety" in FOTR block there is, all you ever really see in the competitive environment is Horn and Choke.

And yes, Forces of Mordor is the #1 card on the watch list to come off.

May 23, 2010, 08:36:50 AM
Reply #14

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 08:36:50 AM »
I have to mention that I won the FOTR league with a deck that neither choked nor contained a horn.

May 23, 2010, 09:18:09 AM
Reply #15

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 09:18:09 AM »
I have to mention that I won the FOTR league with a deck that neither choked nor contained a horn.
Perhaps you should post that list on the board.

Is it Gandalf, FttS with the Hunters?

May 23, 2010, 11:12:05 AM
Reply #16

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »

Nice work. I'd love to see a decklist as well.

The exception does not disprove the rule, however. :)

May 23, 2010, 12:57:24 PM
Reply #17

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »
Really? I think Ranger's are better, but if you can show me strong Pipeweed Deck (besides mine), we can keep on discussing about it. ;)

May 23, 2010, 02:08:46 PM
Reply #18

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
I dont have a list on this comp but its a gandalfFTTSF trust with troll heavy moria.

May 23, 2010, 02:13:46 PM
Reply #19

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 02:13:46 PM »
when fotr league was running i had minimal success with a range of experimental decks, most notably my hobbit swarm deck (using the horn) which lost about 8 games in a row before i gave up. I only started to win once i played pipeweed - didn't lose a game with that deck (paired with Uruks).

May 23, 2010, 03:24:34 PM
Reply #20

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
Pipe decks are good too. The healing helps a lot v. Uruks.

Rather than make a new format I think Id rather see a 2nd edition, truth be told.

May 23, 2010, 10:58:20 PM
Reply #21

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 10:58:20 PM »
2nd edition would be tops - start right back at the beginning !! with new playing experiences and different combinations of cards. rip the worst stuff out and stick with what works

December 14, 2010, 09:49:25 AM
Reply #22

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
I don't want to necro or anything, but I just came by this Topic today, and since the PC is underway I think it might raise a fine point - I was willin to move it there, but since I don't take part in any PC action (thus far), decided against it, unless the people involved game me the green light to do so. Anyway, the basic idea here is simple: we all know LotR Limited play sucked. Big time. Draft was abysmal, to say the least. And we all know some cards are just not worthy in their rarity OR usefulness (or BOTH... I'm looking at you, The Weight of a Legacy!). Considering this, should a PC actually turn able to issue virtual errata'ed cards and whatnot, how about revamping the already-existing sets before setting out to create new V cards? You could simply remove from the V list cards that didn't do anything or were too subpar for Constructed play, and replace it with a revamped version in the same slot. For instance, The Weight of a Legacy is a rare Sauron card to make Aragorn weaker, being a condition, and it's a rare. You could work on making a new The Weight of a Legacy, be it by as simply as giving it a new line of text "Abilities that exert Aragorn can't be used", be it by changing it completely. Just an idea, though.

December 14, 2010, 02:01:30 PM
Reply #23

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 02:01:30 PM »
Just to note, a virtual card doesn't necessarily have to replace the original. Players could be given the choice of using The Weight of a Legacy or The Weight of a Legacy (V).

And to throw this out there, would this even interest people?

1. Select a small group of people to design Fellowship Block 2.0. This will have no effect on the original block--no new cards or rulings will transfer over. This is basically a house set.

2. Hold an online tournament using these cards, awarding top finishers real/virtual cards, the chance to design a card for the next release, etc.

3. Repeat with expansions.

December 14, 2010, 08:27:02 PM
Reply #24

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »
Just to note, a virtual card doesn't necessarily have to replace the original. Players could be given the choice of using The Weight of a Legacy or The Weight of a Legacy (V).

And to throw this out there, would this even interest people?

1. Select a small group of people to design Fellowship Block 2.0. This will have no effect on the original block--no new cards or rulings will transfer over. This is basically a house set.

2. Hold an online tournament using these cards, awarding top finishers real/virtual cards, the chance to design a card for the next release, etc.

3. Repeat with expansions.

Giving LOTR something new whilst retaining the original integrity of the game would definitely interest some players and should minimize the angst for those that don't want change.

December 16, 2010, 08:17:14 AM
Reply #25

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 08:17:14 AM »
SO, how 'bout it, PC guys? Should I move it there? (btw, I thought a PC talk WAS underway, am I wrong?)

December 16, 2010, 12:10:12 PM
Reply #26

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »
SO, how 'bout it, PC guys? Should I move it there? (btw, I thought a PC talk WAS underway, am I wrong?)

Last I heard about it decipher indicated a lack of willingness to support it. This is contrary to what they have done with their other licenses which may indicate that they have an interest in continuing their license with the release of the hobbit. Just speculation though. It may also be due to the poor organization and lack of leadership?

December 16, 2010, 12:51:55 PM
Reply #27

Kralik

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »
poor organization and lack of leadership?

:up:

December 17, 2010, 12:15:00 AM
Reply #28

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
To echo what Kralik is saying, the "PC" is largely Kenddrick and chompers signing in once or twice every other week and saying, "Hey, have you done anything for the PC lately?"
-wtk

Well have you? Seriously, talk of the PC will only go away if we ALL leave it alone.

I am back at the moment on the forums to talk LOTR and play some games of LOTR on GCCG. Hopefully to have some fun doing it.

December 18, 2010, 12:40:25 PM
Reply #29

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 12:40:25 PM »
Assuming there are enough people interested in making Fellowship 2.0 + online play happen, I'm not sure it's a good idea to have it absorbed into larger PC plans. Seems more than once that a focused idea has bitten off more than it could chew, only to fizzle in the end.

December 18, 2010, 12:52:07 PM
Reply #30

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 12:52:07 PM »
So what are the worst cards in FOTR block. The ones that would hardly ever see competitive play? Other than the already mentioned The Weight of a Legacy?

December 18, 2010, 04:48:40 PM
Reply #31

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »
Wow. I just looked at this topic. It turned into a PC talk again.

The initial subject of it was about helping me find strategies in FOTR block that needs to be improved so that I could make DCs in a set I was working on (its on the hold for now).

Just saying. Have a nice day! :)

December 18, 2010, 07:43:40 PM
Reply #32

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »
Wow. I just looked at this topic. It turned into a PC talk again.

The initial subject of it was about helping me find strategies in FOTR block that needs to be improved so that I could make DCs in a set I was working on (its on the hold for now).

Just saying. Have a nice day! :)

I tried in the post above to get things back on track but 'the beast' keeps rearing its ugly head.

I am quite enjoying what Ket is doing with the 5 alternate version of crap cards .. so a brainstorm to work out the best of the worst in FOTR might be worthwhile to help keep it going. It might also help with a FOTR DC set. DCs are always a bit of fun.

December 18, 2010, 11:18:23 PM
Reply #33

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 11:18:23 PM »
So what are the worst cards in FOTR block. The ones that would hardly ever see competitive play? Other than the already mentioned The Weight of a Legacy?

This is an old topic.
-wtk

Sure .. similar but not the same.

December 21, 2010, 04:44:20 PM
Reply #34

Smeagollum

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 04:44:20 PM »
ok here is the solution concerning a lotr pc. There is a lotr pc and i am it. I x-list all cards which prevent me from winning the game. Also during the game with me I am allowed to change the rules in my favour. And Andy Serkis... You are a.... wel allready mentioned that on mtv and give me my golden popcorn back!!!

What I mean to say... Talk talk talk... nothing will happen. Should something happen? I dont know, because lets face it.. how many active players are there? Not enough and I think it gets lesser. If we wanna safe lotr from dying the only option is to get active (insert a whole area on tlhh for lotr lcg) in lotr lcg and try to get people also enthousiastic for lotr tcg.

And back to the origins of this topic: would i like to see a change in fotr-block: yes, but we all know it's not going to happen, because we are not able to make decisions. But if you wanna know what I think should be changed is something with: No Stranger to the Shadows

That card should be unique or Aragorn from rotel should be no ranger. My point is the combination is to extreme. Also I thin that the first Galadriel should be more limited (for example 2 exertions or a reduce cost of just 1 cost), because it gives uber twillight denial.
Also: The White Arrows of Lorien
Should be unique or limited to just 2 cards per turn.

but hey who am I.. Gollum gollum:D