LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Galadriel Lady Redeemed in Movie Block  (Read 21819 times)

May 25, 2010, 10:02:49 AM
Read 21819 times

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
Galadriel Lady Redeemed in Movie Block
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:02:49 AM »
How many people here think Galadriel Lady Redeemed should be on the Movie Block X-list?

Why or why not?

What are some negative consequences of allowing her?

What are some negative consequences of keeping her?

I am curious because I am running a Movie Block tournament during the SWCCG worlds weekend this year and we are debating whether or not to add Galadriel to the X-list for that event.

May 25, 2010, 10:07:11 AM
Reply #1

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Re: Galadriel Lady Redeemed in Movie Block
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »
I would ban her for playablility. With her, you can be sure a lot of people will use her, which will lead to very meta related choices. Low on possessions/conditions on the shadow side, probably a lot of galadriel/cirdan action on the freeps side. That will lead to anti-decks and so on and so forth. Terrible as the Dawn in all decks, well you get the idea...so ban her!
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

May 25, 2010, 12:55:20 PM
Reply #2

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »
Well, it's nearly banned; whenever anybody on GCCG plays Lady Redeemed in Movie, I tell him to take another Deck and leave the game. Except for Smeagollum of course, who uses her just for SftF.

May 25, 2010, 01:53:29 PM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »
Even with Saved From the Fire she is a huge advantage.

But really, I don't think she should be officially banned because Decipher never did. But a gentlemen's agreement is a good call, like those that exist on GCCG (or my meta).
-wtk

May 25, 2010, 04:09:54 PM
Reply #4

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »
She is broken, and if she is allowed then the shadow you can use with sucess will be reduce by 80% just because of one single card that start at table at site 1.

And many people would run broken elves...

So for me it's more than apropriate to bane her.

May 26, 2010, 11:55:16 AM
Reply #5

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »

Advantage, yes, but not broken. But I still love her to show some new players the brokeness of some cards. ;)

May 26, 2010, 02:58:56 PM
Reply #6

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
Why don't we errata her?  we errataed FoA from set 18.  Change her text from a special ability to a "at the start of the phase..."
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

May 26, 2010, 04:30:12 PM
Reply #7

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 04:30:12 PM »
Why don't we errata her?  we errataed FoA from set 18.  Change her text from a special ability to a "at the start of the phase..."
'We' did not errataed FoA. Decipher did.

Anyway, from my point of view, the gentlemen's agreement applies even if you want to burn her. So Galadriel, LR is not allowed.

May 26, 2010, 04:42:26 PM
Reply #8

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 04:42:26 PM »

Advantage, yes, but not broken. But I still love her to show some new players the brokeness of some cards. ;)

Doesn't make sense, how can she be not broken, and then show off her brokeness at the same time..?

She is broken, whether used for SFTF or not. I will still play against people that do use her, but probably would not play against them again after seeing her used.

It was funny last night, I was watching a movie block game on gccg (King89 vs Smeagollum) and both of them (by random chance) were using her. :lol:

May 26, 2010, 05:41:26 PM
Reply #9

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
It was funny last night, I was watching a movie block game on gccg (King89 vs Smeagollum) and both of them (by random chance) were using her.
If I would allow my opponent to use her and my opponent would allow me to use her as well, the chances of seeing her would be high. It's probably what happened there. It would probably be like this 50% of the time if it wasn't for the gentlemen's agreement.

May 26, 2010, 07:14:21 PM
Reply #10

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »
It was funny last night, I was watching a movie block game on gccg (King89 vs Smeagollum) and both of them (by random chance) were using her.
If I would allow my opponent to use her and my opponent would allow me to use her as well, the chances of seeing her would be high. It's probably what happened there. It would probably be like this 50% of the time if it wasn't for the gentlemen's agreement.
I asked them if they agreed to both use her before the game, they said no. It was a random case of them both being evil and playing broken LR decks.

May 26, 2010, 09:04:42 PM
Reply #11

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »
But really, I don't think she should be officially banned because Decipher never did. But a gentlemen's agreement is a good call, like those that exist on GCCG (or my meta).
-wtk

A gentleman's agreement won't really work for an official tournament.  Unless you say she is banned, you can't be upset when people play her.  That's why I'm trying to get feedback so I can decide whether to ban her or not for a specific tournament.

I'm intersted that everyone agrees that she's broken, but nobody has touched on one of my questions:

"What are some negative consequences of banning her?"

I think by banning her you definitely make it possible for a lot more shadows to be played, but you also take away the best counter for Corsairs and make them a lot stronger.  I don't know how many of you were playing between when Siege came out and Mt. Doom came out, but Corairs were ridiculous for a while and the one positive thing Galadriel Lady Broken did was to help tone them down by making Ships of Great Draught and Corsair War Galley a lot less reliable.

May 27, 2010, 06:09:42 AM
Reply #12

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 06:09:42 AM »
Corsairs are really powerfull, and the fact that they relly on possessions (which are far harder to discard) then on conditions makes them a big threat (to not speak about Castamir and Marauder).

But even so they are not broken. Roll of Thunder (That may be why 80% of my decks have Gandy), Arrow Slitz, BRC and the "splashable" Derufin are quite effective against them. Also Direct wounding decks kill the biggest guys before they ever imagine to do any evil stuff and some Gondor artifact based decks with biggers companions and pumps can be hard to stop.

Sadly Corsair destroy many kinds of decks, but not even close to the Lady Redemmed + Cirdan brokeness.

Just having her in a deck doesn't give you a certain victory (or lose if you opponent plays it) but it simple reduce many shadows to worthless cards played in order to get more freep cards to run. I played against  a deck with her these days and i won with a shadow kill, but i was playing one of the few decks i have that doesn't mind with her presence...

I would bane her to prevent that you may only see 2 or 3 types of shadow in the tourney, more diversity is more fun in my opinion.

May 27, 2010, 06:46:27 AM
Reply #13

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 06:46:27 AM »
I agree Galadriel is broken.  My biggest problem with her is that not only does she completely hose every shadow support area, but she does it with cards like Stand Against Darkness and Curse Their Foul Feet that can also hose other things when they aren't needed to discard to her text.  She makes those cards way too versatile.  If you want to play Stand or Curse that's fine, but being able to cycle them to kill any condition or possession in other match-ups removes any drawback to playing those cards.  All of that combined with the fact that you can start her for free just makes her ridiculous.

At the same time, I do think she served a purpose in that meta when she was released, but that purpose is far overshadowed by how overpowered she is.

May 27, 2010, 06:52:45 AM
Reply #14

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • If you want him, come and claim him!
    • Elrohir wants some cards
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 06:52:45 AM »
I do not think so. Imagine, there are no shadow conditions or posession, or imagine Gorgoroth asassin with a site you control. Galadriel will die faster than you think!
You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore.

May 27, 2010, 10:45:40 AM
Reply #15

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »

Doesn't make sense, how can she be not broken, and then show off her brokeness at the same time..?

She is broken, whether used for SFTF or not. I will still play against people that do use her, but probably would not play against them again after seeing her used.

It was funny last night, I was watching a movie block game on gccg (King89 vs Smeagollum) and both of them (by random chance) were using her. :lol:

You misunderstood me. I wanted to say that she's not broken when you just use to burn her, but she's broken when you're using her discarding effect and that's how I use her to show newbies how the game went down after RotK.

May 27, 2010, 10:58:18 AM
Reply #16

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 10:58:18 AM »
I do not think so. Imagine, there are no shadow conditions or posession, or imagine Gorgoroth asassin with a site you control. Galadriel will die faster than you think!

The World final of 200? was an Emir deck that abuses Galadriel against besigers... he simple walk to the path doubling or tripling every time after site 4 or 5. Stand Against Darkness mine Sauron stuff, and besigers ithout condition or grond lost much of theior power.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:00:04 AM by Pepin The Breve »

June 28, 2010, 06:23:50 PM
Reply #17

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 06:23:50 PM »
I completely agree with the ban unless you happen to be playing against Corsairs (as someone already mentioned).  Without Galadriel LR, movie elves are toast.  I usually play an elven deck of some sort and I cannot count the number of times I've been trounced by unholy numbers of Corsair Marauders. 

Besides, what's with an enduring minion who exerts himself?  How come the Castamir gets such an amazing effect and yet the enduring Witch-King sucks?  Is there no equality in this world?

So basically my thoughts on the gentleman's agreement are this:  a true gentleman would tell me if  he was going to play Corsairs, and I would change my deck accordingly... :-)
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

June 28, 2010, 06:45:00 PM
Reply #18

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
LR counters corsairs, but she also destroys just about every shadow I can think of.
The best course, I think, would be to x-list Galadriel, and consider some errata for the corsairs.

June 28, 2010, 06:46:33 PM
Reply #19

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
I completely agree with the ban unless you happen to be playing against Corsairs (as someone already mentioned).  Without Galadriel LR, movie elves are toast.  I usually play an elven deck of some sort and I cannot count the number of times I've been trounced by unholy numbers of Corsair Marauders.  

Besides, what's with an enduring minion who exerts himself?  How come the Castamir gets such an amazing effect and yet the enduring Witch-King sucks?  Is there no equality in this world?

So basically my thoughts on the gentleman's agreement are this:  a true gentleman would tell me if  he was going to play Corsairs, and I would change my deck accordingly... :-)
Corsairs do not only crush Elves... What about Hobbits and Gondor? And by the way, once you have 15 events in your discard pile, Cirdan should be able to get rid of the Castamir.

June 28, 2010, 07:34:54 PM
Reply #20

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »

You misunderstood me. I wanted to say that she's not broken when you just use to burn her

I disagree. Name another free elf you can start with to burn...

June 28, 2010, 10:13:50 PM
Reply #21

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »
I'd need a couple Cirdan cards first.  Plus a Derufin.  I bought a Galadriel LR back in the day because I was tired of losing to Corsairs.  Turned out to be the worst eight bucks I ever spent considering I got to use her in all of two games.
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

June 28, 2010, 11:21:10 PM
Reply #22

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »
Elves are great in movie, with or without the Elf Witch. Pair them with Gandalf and you have everything. High vitality, high strength, conditiondiscard, possessiondiscard, healing, threatremoval, burdencontrol, direct wounding, all very well possible with the elves. They are madness!
Ban the Witch, or at least never play her when you play against me.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

June 29, 2010, 08:34:19 AM
Reply #23

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 08:34:19 AM »
Point taken.  But I'm talking about straight elven.  Gandalf can provide most of the things you mentioned to any culture.

-Dave Barry

June 29, 2010, 12:09:01 PM
Reply #24

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »
Ban Gandalf. He's extremely irritating. Slowly, I started to change all my shadows to [Wraith] and run 4 copies of Too Great and Terrible in every deck. At least Galadriel can't fight. Over 90% decks run Gandalf. People have become too dependent on him. Waay too powerful because he has it all.

He can kill, he can help, he can heal, he can discard, he can bring back the dead, he can come back from the dead. And you think Galadriel, LR is bad?!? She is, but I hate Gandalf more. ;)

Galadriel, LR indeed has to be banned, but no more than Castamir. And I think that Grown Suddenly Tall, Roll of Thunder, Servant of the Secret Fire and Deep In Thought require a higher cost to play, like exert Gandalf. Well, Roll of Thunder can stay the way it is, but the others are too powerful and too cheap.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

June 29, 2010, 12:31:22 PM
Reply #25

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 12:31:22 PM »
Banning Galadriel damages the diversity. Gandalf is not too powerful, and Castamir is strong, but he is necessary.

Why not banning Frodo? He has 10 Resistance! - just kidding. Its ridiculous talking about banning Galadriel. it is a challenge for a small spectrum of deck types. Yes, but that is all.

June 29, 2010, 02:01:46 PM
Reply #26

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 02:01:46 PM »
Ban Gandalf. He's extremely irritating. Slowly, I started to change all my shadows to [Wraith] and run 4 copies of Too Great and Terrible in every deck. At least Galadriel can't fight. Over 90% decks run Gandalf. People have become too dependent on him. Waay too powerful because he has it all.

He can kill, he can help, he can heal, he can discard, he can bring back the dead, he can come back from the dead. And you think Galadriel, LR is bad?!? She is, but I hate Gandalf more. ;)

Galadriel, LR indeed has to be banned, but no more than Castamir. And I think that Grown Suddenly Tall, Roll of Thunder, Servant of the Secret Fire and Deep In Thought require a higher cost to play, like exert Gandalf. Well, Roll of Thunder can stay the way it is, but the others are too powerful and too cheap.

Are you kidding me? You wanna ban the entire Gandalf culture or what?

June 29, 2010, 02:08:56 PM
Reply #27

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 02:08:56 PM »
Not banning Galadriel damages the culture balance and allow too powerful combos. What is teh only thing elves doesn't do without other culture support? Possession discard. Lady Redeemed allow them to do so in a pretty easy and almost unlimited way, i chalenge someone to show me a more reliable way to discard shadow possessions. She also allow discard condition and she does both without the need of specific cards to do so. You can use that pump you didnt need to choose with thing you like most at a given time. So essencialy she turns a "one effect event" in a "triple effect event" and she does so at Fellowship or Regroup phase, so doesn't matter if the shadow player don't play minions at all cause that will not prevent his/her stuff of being discarded while cycling freeps hand. She cost 0  #-o in starting fellowship.

But what annoys me the most is the ability that she give to turn very meta specific events like Stand Against Darkness, Curse Their Foul Feet! and Foul Creation into Very useful events, i.e. discard a condition or a possession.

For me Lady redeemed is the most huge mistake Decipher ever printed cause she is not banned for being part of a loop or something, only cause she is broken BY HERSELF. And the funny part is that she does all that stuff while making her best friend Cirdan more and more happy...

So a good deck with Lady Redeemed is unbeatable? Of course not, no deck is unbeatable, but she is far from being balanced cause she allows to make a deck that ruins the fun of 90% of the shadows.

June 29, 2010, 02:17:10 PM
Reply #28

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »
I think Pepin gets a :gp: for saying anything that I was going to add to this conversation.
-wtk

June 29, 2010, 02:19:18 PM
Reply #29

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »

Gandalf is an awesome character, and is very versatile, but he needs specific cards to done any of his stuff. What about 3 copies of Roll of Thunder against a shadow that doesnt use possessions? What if you draw Sleep Caradhras too early? Gandy have very powerful events but:
- He cost 4 (or 2 in the best case sacrificing his text)
- Need specific cards to do what he does
- He can't turn a pump into a "discard condition or possession" so if you put meta specific events and you don't face that matchup, its less room you have for other cards.
- He can't cycle evenst without the need of adding pool for them
   The general idea is: yes Gandy have very powerfull stuff but he will need a lot of room in your deck to do all the nasty stuff he can do, in other words he use space that could have been used for other cards and he doesnt have a Treebeard friend that "exert to do nasty stuff with all those events you just played".

I have lots of decks with gandy (i'm trying to build more deck without him), and i lost very often with many of them. They are not bad at all but i depend heavly on draw the right stuff. Many times it took too long to draw my discard condition or possession stuff while in a elven deck with LR with 15 events the odds of not drawing an event to discard a key shadow possession or condition when needed are very low.

June 29, 2010, 02:21:22 PM
Reply #30

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 02:21:22 PM »

Well...Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor...
-wtk

June 29, 2010, 02:27:33 PM
Reply #31

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 02:27:33 PM »

Well...Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor...
-wtk

That is not cycling that is getting them from discard pile :) and again you need to add specific cards to do so. Gandy is indeed very powerful but try to add "Gandy support" to a deck and you will come to the conclusion you need at least one third of the deck space to be filled with gandalf culture cards, which doesn't pump Gil-galad, Cirdan or Legolas, GL directly.

Some combos like gandalf, MoW with elven telepathy also annoys me. That for me is the only case where he is unbalanced, coincidence or not its on an elven deck...

June 29, 2010, 03:26:35 PM
Reply #32

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
Dudes, I was not really serious about banning Gandalf ;)

Although I stand behind of what I said about cheap and powerful events. I'm just expressing my annoyance about losing with a good shadow because of heavy Gandy support.

Make any deck you want from any culture you want. If you're missing something, Gandy can provide. ;)

It's all ok, Gandy is mostly a support character, but I think that 3 cards are too powerful: Grown Suddenly Tall, Sleep, Caradhras and Saruman's Power. You can see the connection.

I think that it's way too powerful to have 1 card discard all. It's simply not fun. Is there any non-condition based shadow without a copy of Grima and Saruman's Power?

Trade List (TLHH)

June 29, 2010, 06:55:29 PM
Reply #33

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 06:55:29 PM »
Dudes, I was not really serious about banning Gandalf ;)

Although I stand behind of what I said about cheap and powerful events. I'm just expressing my annoyance about losing with a good shadow because of heavy Gandy support.

Make any deck you want from any culture you want. If you're missing something, Gandy can provide. ;)

It's all ok, Gandy is mostly a support character, but I think that 3 cards are too powerful: Grown Suddenly Tall, Sleep, Caradhras and Saruman's Power. You can see the connection.

I think that it's way too powerful to have 1 card discard all. It's simply not fun. Is there any non-condition based shadow without a copy of Grima and Saruman's Power?

Not one of mine's ;)  Wait! I Have a Dunland deck that doesn't run Saruman's Power!

June 30, 2010, 12:49:37 AM
Reply #34

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 12:49:37 AM »
Not one of mine's ;)  Wait! I Have a Dunland deck that doesn't run Saruman's Power!

Hah, but it runs Too Long Have These Peasants Stood! I forgot about that one. That makes 4 cards that are simply not fun and too powerful for their price.

Trade List (TLHH)

June 30, 2010, 06:31:15 AM
Reply #35

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 06:31:15 AM »

Hah, but it runs Too Long Have These Peasants Stood! I forgot about that one. That makes 4 cards that are simply not fun and too powerful for their price.

It don't! Well at least in the original version, i have an experimental deck with it :)

June 30, 2010, 07:03:12 AM
Reply #36

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 07:03:12 AM »
I see hrchos point. You can't run a Dwarven condition deck without Feared Axeman in movie. I tried that, but if you get hit by Saruma's Power... go die. But again, the whole thing is getting very meta-specific, and as for Grow Suddenly Tall or Sleep Caradhras, I also like to have some conditions in play, e.g TMayoD, so I don't think it's too hard. Or not as strong as Saruman's Power, as Uruks don't rely on conditions really much.

Oh, and I think that 5 twilight is pretty much for Grow suddenly tall, AND it discards the conditions in Fellowship Phase, so you still can get hit by some strong conditions during Shadow Phase.

Just my two cents.

June 30, 2010, 10:29:41 AM
Reply #37

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 10:29:41 AM »
If you remove cards like Grown Suddently Tall from the game, shadow sides will with conditions will be too strong. The two most condition-based shadows have cards to deal with that anyway, Dead Marshes for [Sauron] and Host of Moria for [Moria].

Saruman's Power is the best card you can use to get rid of The Shire Countryside x4. If you uwant to use it, it makes your deck weaker because you'll use less conditions and if you splash it somewhere else with Grima, it uses card slots that may not be useful at all during the game.

Galadriel, LR is 10 times stonger than Grown Suddently Tall and all the other stuff you mentionned for reasons that have been mentionned before.

June 30, 2010, 10:49:26 AM
Reply #38

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »
I'm totally on board for banning Gandalf, along with wargs and Shelob.  Since both minions are unhygienic and give me nightmares.

Anyway, since this is about the 586732083745th thread we've devoted to this topic,  I believe that it's something of a tradition for someone to mention errata at this point.

So what do you guys say?  I propose once a turn during the fellowship phase.

-Dave Barry

June 30, 2010, 11:00:15 AM
Reply #39

Pepi

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 11:00:15 AM »
Or perhaps discard an event with twilight cost 2 or more. Yours errata is better, though.

June 30, 2010, 11:16:47 AM
Reply #40

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
As an errata, I would suggest to remove her twilight cost -3 when she is in the starting fellowship. Then you can make her other line (once per turn) or something like that.

Cirdan also need an errata, something like (limit -5).

June 30, 2010, 11:56:02 AM
Reply #41

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »
oh, no it starts again... just don't use LR. Movie Block is cool as it is. Don't change it. I like discussing some strategies, but just leave Movie Block as it is.

Amen.

June 30, 2010, 12:27:55 PM
Reply #42

putridbreath

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 12:27:55 PM »
oh, no it starts again... just don't use LR. Movie Block is cool as it is. Don't change it. I like discussing some strategies, but just leave Movie Block as it is.

Amen.

Praise the Lord!
In my play circle we have a gentleman's agreement to not use her and making/memorizing errata becomes a headache--seriously.

June 30, 2010, 04:02:30 PM
Reply #43

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »

Amen.

And this "gentlemen's agreement" is the reason that we don't need a PC.
-wtk

June 30, 2010, 07:41:38 PM
Reply #44

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »

Amen.

The problelm with this is that if you are running a tournament, there really can't be a "gentlemen's agreement."  Either a card is legal for a tournament or it isn't.  If a card isn't banned, then it is perfectly legal for a tournament and there is no recourse if someone plays that card.  That's the whole reason I brought this up, since I am running an official tournament (the one at SW worlds).  We decided to go ahead and officially ban her for that specific tournament.

For a casual game or playgroup, a "gentlemen's agreement" is fine.

July 01, 2010, 03:25:02 AM
Reply #45

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 03:25:02 AM »
If you remove cards like Grown Suddently Tall from the game, shadow sides will with conditions will be too strong. The two most condition-based shadows have cards to deal with that anyway, Dead Marshes for [Sauron] and Host of Moria for [Moria].

Saruman's Power is the best card you can use to get rid of The Shire Countryside x4. If you uwant to use it, it makes your deck weaker because you'll use less conditions and if you splash it somewhere else with Grima, it uses card slots that may not be useful at all during the game.

Yes, removing cards like Grown Suddenly Tall would do that, but replacing it with a more balanced condition removal, would not. For example, discard 2 shadow conditions or make a shadow player discard 4 of his conditions. The same would be good for Saruman's Power. The example you mentioned earlier, 4x Shire Countryside... don't you think that's way too imbalanced? Decks based on, e.g. Shire Countryside get destroyed by 1 card. It just makes people stop building fun decks and creates an inflation of too-much-seen boring, same decks.

It just takes the fun from it and fun is what it's all about. At least it should be. I agree about Galadriel, LR being much more powerful than Grown Suddenly Tall, but I think that Grown Suddenly Tall is too powerful still.

All conditions for the cost of 5 puny twilight? Sauron wounding just lost, Ninja Gollum just lost, Moria Swarm pretty much gone. It's too much to come from just 1 card.

Trade List (TLHH)

July 01, 2010, 03:27:39 AM
Reply #46

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 03:27:39 AM »

Amen.

The problelm with this is that if you are running a tournament, there really can't be a "gentlemen's agreement."  Either a card is legal for a tournament or it isn't.  If a card isn't banned, then it is perfectly legal for a tournament and there is no recourse if someone plays that card.  That's the whole reason I brought this up, since I am running an official tournament (the one at SW worlds).  We decided to go ahead and officially ban her for that specific tournament.

For a casual game or playgroup, a "gentlemen's agreement" is fine.
The fact that you cannot have a gentlemen's agreement in a tournament is not a problem. The tournament host is there to set the rules. If people are unhappy with these rules, they can stay home. You did the right thing by banning her because the majority of players on this forum probably wants her banned anyway.

July 01, 2010, 11:28:56 AM
Reply #47

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »
4x Shire Countryside... don't you think that's way too imbalanced? Decks based on, e.g. Shire Countryside get destroyed by 1 card.

That's the danger of building your deck around one card/combination.
-wtk

July 01, 2010, 01:29:57 PM
Reply #48

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
I agree with ket.  Conditions are meant to be dynamic, which is why they tend to have such strong effects.  You have to balance the advantages of having four copies of Shire Countryside, against the risk of losing them all to Saruman's power.

As for Galadriel,  my understanding of the reason it's not officially banned is because of it's necessity against certain decktypes.  My "gentleman's agreement" would include her and Corsair Marauder, since I believe they are meant to negate each other.

You guys talk about having to build all your minion sides with Galadriel in mind, and I totally agree that she destroys the game as we know it.  But in movie all the freeps sides are built with Corsairs in mind, although I admit that Castamir and friends are not as versatile as LR.

-Dave Barry

July 01, 2010, 07:27:26 PM
Reply #49

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 07:27:26 PM »
Ah, I remember better days. Like, back when Standard was sets 1-7.

Those were the days.
-wtk

July 02, 2010, 03:42:57 AM
Reply #50

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2010, 03:42:57 AM »
That's the danger of building your deck around one card/combination.
-wtk

The same could be said about Galadriel, LR. That's the danger of building you deck around conditions/possessions.

I agree, but I still think it's too much for that danger coming from only 1 card. If it said: "Exert an [Isengard] minion to discard 2 Free Peoples conditions" it would've been much more balanced. However, there is no point in arguing, seeing as things won't change, so we just have to adapt. And Galadriel, LR is allowed, no matter how broken she is, so just keep building your decks and try to have as much fun as possible.

Trade List (TLHH)

July 02, 2010, 11:13:28 AM
Reply #51

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »
So Gerontius and I, after much breast-beating, gnashing of teeth, and angry arm-waving, decided upon our own personal errata:

2-Cost: Galadriel, Lady Redeemed
To play spot 2 elves. 
Fellowship: Exert Galadriel twice to discard a shadow possession or condition.

What do you guys think?

-Dave Barry

July 02, 2010, 12:01:31 PM
Reply #52

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 12:01:31 PM »
She still needs to cost [3], in my opinion. For consistency's sake.
-wtk

July 02, 2010, 03:23:54 PM
Reply #53

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
She still needs to cost [3], in my opinion. For consistency's sake.
-wtk
:P

Add: Fellowship or Regroup: Exert Galadriel, and discard.... I would agree for such a ruling, if people do not like my Galadriel in movie.

Do not forget: she is an mighty Character in Middleearth. :)

And she has anyway bad strength values.

July 03, 2010, 04:03:20 AM
Reply #54

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2010, 04:03:20 AM »
Yeah, just for consistency sake, Galadriel is the last of the high Kings of the Noldor, and one of the mightiest character in Middle-Earth, only Gandalf, Sauron, and maybe Saruman could stand agaisnt her power.

July 03, 2010, 09:52:41 AM
Reply #55

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
Yeah, just for consistency sake, Galadriel is the last of the high Kings of the Noldor, and one of the mightiest character in Middle-Earth, only Gandalf, Sauron, and maybe Saruman could stand agaisnt her power.

And Tom Bombadil in his woods. ;)

Trade List (TLHH)

July 03, 2010, 10:21:32 AM
Reply #56

Pepi

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2010, 10:21:32 AM »
And possibly the other 3 istari.

July 05, 2010, 04:24:53 PM
Reply #57

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 04:24:53 PM »
The fact that you cannot have a gentlemen's agreement in a tournament is not a problem. The tournament host is there to set the rules. If people are unhappy with these rules, they can stay home. You did the right thing by banning her because the majority of players on this forum probably wants her banned anyway.

I just wanted to reiterate this, and give c10ckw0rk a :gp: for elegantly stating what everyone should already think. She doesn't need to be banned in non-competitive Movie Block play, but when it comes to tournaments, it is the discretion of the host to make the call.
-wtk

July 05, 2010, 05:51:20 PM
Reply #58

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »
She doesn't need to be banned in non-competitive Movie Block play, but when it comes to tournaments, it is the discretion of the host to make the call.
If she isn't ban, the two most popular cards of the tournament may very well be Terrible as the dawn and Galadriel, LR.

July 05, 2010, 06:16:53 PM
Reply #59

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
I run Terrible As the Dawn in any deck that has [Sauron] cards in it. Better safe than sorry. Plus, it is fun if you grab it early against Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom.
-wtk