LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: [Rohan] Archery (expanded) Free Peoples Only  (Read 8505 times)

May 06, 2008, 08:51:58 AM
Read 8505 times

Micah247

• Information Offline
  • Orc
[Rohan] Archery (expanded) Free Peoples Only
« on: May 06, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »
Wanted to try something new. Thought mabe [Rohan] Archery was a good idea.  (Please keep in mind I do not have access to cards after set 13 bloodlines)

Free Peoples (35)

[Ring] and Bearer
Frodo, Protected by Many
The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles

Companions ( 8 )
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien (starting)
Merry, Swordthain (starting)
Aldred Eored Soldier (starting)
Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark
Theoden, The Renowned
Theodred, Second Marshal of the Mark
Riddermark Tactician
Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg

Possessions (17)
4 x Riddermark Javelin
3 x Rohirrim Javelin
Rohirrim Bow
2 x Rohirrim Helm
Firefoot, Eomers Steed
Brego
Snowmane
Herugrim
Riders Spear
Eowyns Sword Dernhelms Blade
Rohirrim Shield

Conditions (6)
3 x Sword Rack
Fortress Never Fallen
2 x Thundering Host

Events (4)
4 x Simbelmyne

sites
As many plains as possible.

Shadow
 [Men] Archery or 2 site  [Dunland]

Strategy
Use the Javelins to add archery.  Use Merry and the Sword Racks to get them back.  If anything gets through, Eowyn can exert to wound, and Eomer can get huge.  Kinda worried about having no pumps, a lack of healing, and I may need more condition/possession removal.  Let me know what you think.

***Updated with suggestions from Dain and Leokula***
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 11:01:49 AM by Micah247 »

May 06, 2008, 09:34:06 AM
Reply #1

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: [Rohan] Archery (expanded) Free Peoples Only
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 09:34:06 AM »
Thundering Host might not be a bad addition, since it can be a flexible pump and/or healing with all the plains sites you plan on running with. I'd recommend tossing in a couple copies, perhaps replacing a Simbelmyne and a Rohirrim Javelin or two. With Strength To Fight is a less desirable healing option, and probably not necessary with the Rohirrim Shields (which would have been my first choice), but hey...it IS an option if you're just not getting enough healing otherwise. Using Firefoot, Eomer's Steed instead of the version you have would give you a LITTLE more condition removal (and is cheaper, which is always nice for the expensive Rohirrim).

Not sure if you can fit them in, but a copy or two of Rohirrim Helm might be nice for canceling skirmishes with any BIG minions that survive archery. Chances are pretty good they won't be able to exert to cancel. *shrug* Just a thought.

Eomer's Spear, Trusty Weapon would be a very nice addition for finishing minions off...either with the damage bonus (should he win) or with the option to discard for a free wound...and possibly pull back with Merry and use again that same skirmish! Lethal. 8)

Also consider:

Dispatched With Haste - gives you possession removal if you need it but more importantly gives all your mounted guys a nice boost
Rohirrim Diadem - can turn extra possessions into a strength boost if you desperately need it
Cast From The Hall - not very useful if you don't pull it early enough, but considering you have at least 16 possessions you'll be playing from hand at SOME point, it certainly can't hurt to toss a copy in, right?
Precise Attack - could add a little extra and/or targetted archery if you can somehow squeeze a couple in
Rohirrim Doorwarden - kind of costly, but with certain companions possibly bearing three (or more!) possessions, having one of these guys around certainly couldn't hurt!

Just a few suggestions. I would most strongly recommend Eomer's Spear, Trusty Weapon (almost a must in this deck) and Thundering Host, which would solve a couple small weaknesses at once.

LOVE the deck, though. I have a very similiar one that revolves around Eowyn, Restless Maiden and Dernhelm's Blade. THAT is one lethal combo there. ;D
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

May 06, 2008, 10:00:44 AM
Reply #2

Micah247

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:00:44 AM »
Thanks for the info Dain.  Unfortunately I do not have access to cards after set 13 (so eomers spear, trusty weapon is out), but thanks for pointing out Firefoot, Eomers Steed I missed that somehow.  I have looked into using the rohirrim helm, and Thundering host, and I will need to find something to remove.  I'll update the deck when I think of how to work them in.

May 06, 2008, 10:36:14 AM
Reply #3

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »
I'd say at least one Rohirrim Helm is a must have... you'll find it to be very useful and with Sword Rack you'll be able to reuse it a lot.

I don't think you need 4x Sword Rack at all... I'd go for 3, specially because Merry, Swordthain will be doing his dirty job bringing back possessions too, so you get room for a helm or something else.

Another overlooked card is Rohirrim Bow... I think you could drop a Rohirrim Javelin for a Rohirrim Bow. The direct wound will come in handy when you need to take that wikkie out of the way at all costs.

BTW I'd drop one of those shields for a Thundering Host... and maybe arrows slits for another one, that would give you a bit more strength support for when you need it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:40:09 AM by leokula »

May 06, 2008, 10:44:58 AM
Reply #4

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »
Quote from: Micah247
Thanks for the info Dain.  Unfortunately I do not have access to cards after set 13 (so eomers spear, trusty weapon is out), but thanks for pointing out Firefoot, Eomers Steed I missed that somehow.
Right, forgot about the set 13 thing. :-[ A lot of people seem to miss Eomer's Steed. It's far from ideal "condition removal", since it's pretty easy for the Shadow player to get out of it, but at the right time it can be a lifesaver, especially if you don't really need the bonuses other Firefoots provide.

Quote from: Micah247
I have looked into using the rohirrim helm, and Thundering host, and I will need to find something to remove.  I'll update the deck when I think of how to work them in.
Like LeoKula, I'd recommend finding a way to fit at least one Helm in, as it can prove a horrible nuisance to your opponent if used at the right time. Thundering Host isn't quite ideal, since it would be limited to your mounted companions, but since your key guys will eventually be mounted and they're the ones you'll want to keep alive, it certainly helps protect them, at least.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

May 06, 2008, 11:02:48 AM
Reply #5

Micah247

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 11:02:48 AM »
Ok looked at your suggestions and made changes above (added a card to my absolute deck max of 35!)
Thanks guys.

May 06, 2008, 11:06:27 AM
Reply #6

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 11:06:27 AM »
niiiiice :) I like it!

Anytime ;)

June 30, 2008, 08:26:16 AM
Reply #7

GarrisonofGondor

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Let the armies of Mordor know this....
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 08:26:16 AM »
Personally I would start Eowyn, Restless Warrior And drop two Sword Racks. Put in two freely across our lands.
"Never Again, will the land of my people, fall into enemy hands! For Gondor! For Gondor! For Gondor!

https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=426.120

July 14, 2008, 09:51:26 AM
Reply #8

Elendil!Urukfear

• Information Offline
  • Villager
  • Aragorn, son of Arathorn. High King of Gondor
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 09:51:26 AM »
First of all if this is archery, i would replace Eowyn, Ladie of Ithilien with Eowyn, Restless Maiden, put in Eomer's Spear, Trusty Weapon, and you might want some pumps in case your guys get in trouble with overwhelming Or Heavy Chain.
Also for your minion side, I would go with Evil Men archery and add a lot of fletchers (I forgot what they are really called). But I don't know much about these really good decks so you probably shouldn't listen to me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:59:55 AM by Elendil!Urukfear »
Time
What know we of this despondent thing
No sign no sound no tranquil ring
We try to tell its quantity
yet fail to see the point
Only one can know of it
to this eternal joint
We have not power in Use
To hold this creature bay
But only wait for it to change
Inside the soul of it we lay

July 14, 2008, 10:26:24 AM
Reply #9

Micah247

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:26:24 AM »
Personally I would start Eowyn, Restless Warrior And drop two Sword Racks. Put in two freely across our lands.
Thanks for the tip, I will check that out, when I get a chance to playtest this against someone other than myself :)

July 26, 2008, 05:14:21 PM
Reply #10

GarrisonofGondor

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Let the armies of Mordor know this....
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 05:14:21 PM »
 You welcome.
"Never Again, will the land of my people, fall into enemy hands! For Gondor! For Gondor! For Gondor!

https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=426.120