LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Solo...Frodo?  (Read 13924 times)

August 08, 2008, 04:51:28 PM
Reply #15

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
Re: Solo...Frodo?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 04:51:28 PM »
Deck's getting a little big, Dain. ;) This is one deck where being off by a card draw or two could mean a toasted Ring-bearer. I'd probably drop Deft in Their Movements, since (1) double moving gives your opponent extra opportunities to cycle and lessens the impact of a choke, and (2) even with the Shadow number down, the region number can still provide enough twilight for trouble. Unless this is a running Solo Frodo. ;)

Another thing from testing is those burdens add up really fast. You have to add a burden to prevent an overwhelm, add a second for losing the skirmish, and then possibly add two more if the minion is fierce. That's 4 burdens in a single site. So again I'd suggest cutting down the deck size to get multiple copies of Home and Hearth in play ASAP.

I've yet to try it this way but I wonder if wounding is the way to go (PAtHS, Second Breakfast, etc.). Might be better to add a couple of burdens to kill off a minion than to add even more to survive a pummeling--and hey, you might see more use out of Golden Perch Ale.

I'd also second Gil-Estel's suggestion for adding Prized Lagan / Elven Long Knife. If burdens are a problem, the Lagan can lessen them. Elven Long Knife adds a resistance bonus and its threat removal helps reuse Prized Lagan / Second Breakfast.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:08:23 PM by Elessar's Socks »

August 08, 2008, 04:59:21 PM
Reply #16

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 04:59:21 PM »
All good suggestions, but keep in mind that one of the things that's so...well, great about The Great Ring is that you don't have to wear it to use it, unless I'm completely misreading the card. So if you lose (and aren't overwhelmed), you do NOT take another burden, but instead a wound. So the burdens aren't QUITE as bad per site as you were stating.

All the same, like I said, those are good suggestions. I'll rewrite it again soon and post a new and improved deck. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

August 08, 2008, 05:06:08 PM
Reply #17

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
Argh, you are right. I keep forgetting how good it really is. That does cut down on burdens, and makes those Frodo-healing cards more useful.

August 08, 2008, 05:11:08 PM
Reply #18

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »
But you have to remember if you don't control the path and you move to Cavern Entrance you have no way of pumping frodo at all with TGR 8(. Better have a back up plan bro :up:. I know you are choking and Cavern Entrance won't give much more if any twilight extra but in region 3 it won't take much to overwhelm a strength 5 companion and you will be giving at least 7 twilight during a region 3 move (1 for the lonely Frodo and 6 for the region). If the drop Cavern Entrance they can play a version of the Witch-King and you game is through :up:. Especial if you have passed through that site that discards all you Allies :up:. No bounder to Protect Frodo, Good Game.
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

August 08, 2008, 05:41:08 PM
Reply #19

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »
Chance Observation / good ol' Hobbit Intuition could help with Cavern Entrance. (I know, I suggested wounding previously, but I figured why not overload the good Dwarf with completely opposite approaches.) That does have a good chance of showing up, but hopefully Anduin Confluence will be collecting dust in the binder.

...You're planning something aren't you, NK? :o Quick, make a decoy deck, Dain!

August 08, 2008, 06:36:57 PM
Reply #20

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »
I don't plan to beat just a single deck, although I did run a Too Great and Terrible/ Dark Fire deck to combat the frustration I was having with SM's Gandy Deck LOL. However I do tend to pack Anduin Confluence and the occassional Westemnet Village in decks from time to time, when I don't need other sites, as allies can be quite annoying in expanded when they are played. However I never run both sites in the same deck that would be pointless :up:.

August 09, 2008, 07:52:07 AM
Reply #21

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 07:52:07 AM »
Its times like these that I wish our old members were here...

AC had an article. You should take a look.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

August 14, 2008, 08:42:29 AM
Reply #22

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 08:42:29 AM »
You know that Deft in Their Movements works only in sites you can spot when you play the event? So it´s very usefull if you have a sort of site controling or you are running after your opponent, but if you plan to won the race with Frodo better have some B plan. Maybe Smeagol with Still Far Ahead AND Deft in Their Movements?
Just thinking...

August 14, 2008, 09:43:55 AM
Reply #23

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »
Quote from: TheJord
Decks like this, utilising The Great Ring (as most people are) is why my Moria deck has to have Throw Yourself in Next Time in it. Barely used but very handy when needed.

That's just mean! :evil:

I think NK's "solo" Frodo deck has a lot more promise than this one. #-o I don't forsee any changes making this really work unless I go more along the lines of his route.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

August 14, 2008, 09:57:09 AM
Reply #24

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 09:57:09 AM »
Decks like this, utilising The Great Ring (as most people are) is why my Moria deck has to have Throw Yourself in Next Time in it. Barely used but very handy when needed.

I must be tired as I know this has a point but I can't figure it out. How does throw yourself in Next Time hurt Frod bearing the Great Ring?

August 14, 2008, 10:13:55 AM
Reply #25

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 10:13:55 AM »
Im an idiot ignore me
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

August 14, 2008, 10:21:29 AM
Reply #26

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 10:21:29 AM »
Whoops. I am too. THAT'S why everyone loves The Great Ring so much. #-o

Heheh. NK 1. Dáin and Jord 0. :whistle:
Best regards,
Dáin

August 14, 2008, 10:23:30 AM
Reply #27

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 10:23:30 AM »
Yes I finally have the lead at something on this great site  \:D/. Oh yeah, glad these sweet @$# smilies are back!