LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Rohan/Isengard Trackers  (Read 21274 times)

August 29, 2010, 07:44:38 PM
Read 21274 times

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Rohan/Isengard Trackers
« on: August 29, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
Updated Deck-List Below!

So the free peoples' side might look a little familiar (MuadDib posted a great Merry's Sword run a few days ago) and I haven't played [Isengard] trackers since Towers was standard. So...thoughts?

First attempt:
Starting:

Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry
Theoden, Tall and Proud
Merry, Horticulturalist

Free Peoples:
Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien
Gamling, Warrior of Rohan
Rohirrim Army
Legolas, Greenleaf
Sam, Son of Hamfast

Leowyn
Deor
Farmer Maggot, Chaser of Rascals
Bounder

Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs
Merry's Sword 2
Eomer's Spear
Firefoot
Eowyn's Sword, Dernhelm's Blade
Brego
Rohirrim Bow 4
Rohirrim Helm

Simbelmyne 4
Power According to His Stature

Fortress Never Fallen 2
Armory
Arrow-Slits
Fell Deeds Awake
The Tale of the Great Ring

Shadow:
Saruman, Servant of the Eye 2
Lurtz, Servant of Isengard
Ugluk, Servant of Saruman 3
Mauhur, Patrol Leader 2
Uruk Searcher 3
Uruk Seeker 4
Uruk Plains Runner 3
Grima, Wormtongue 2

Weary 4
Many Riddles 2
What Did You Discover
Greed

Broad-Bladed Sword 4

Vengeance 3

Site Path:
Edoras Hall
Rohirrim Camp
Base of Mindolluin
Pelennor Prairie
Steward's Tomb
Minas Tirith Fourth Circle
Pelennor Grassland
Morgul Vale
Dagorlad

Notes: Well, I'm building this deck in real life, largely based on the scraps of my Saved From the Fire [Rohan] deck, which had two major problems:
1. It was not very good at surviving skirmishes.
2. It was built to be a beginner's deck, or teaching deck, and was far too advanced for a first-time player.

This deck should solve both of those problems because Merry's Sword and Rohirrim Bow or Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien should be able to take care of most of the big minions, and Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark should be able to mop up the rest.

I just started putting together the foil version of this yesterday. I know it will be a while before I see a foil Third Marshal or Riddermark, or three more foil Simbelmyne, but please take a look at my trade list if you have any of the twenty-three foils I am still looking for.

Thoughts, as always, are appreciated. Please remember that this deck is supposed to be simple enough for a beginner, but entertaining enough for me to play on occasion. Hopefully my positive memories of [Isengard] trackers from the Towers days keep me interested in enough in playing the deck every once in a while.
-wtk

Edit:
Current Deck:

Starting Fellowship:
Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien
Theoden, Tall and Proud

Free Peoples:
Merry, Noble Warrior 3
Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark
Gamling, Warrior of Rohan
Rohirrim Army
Legolas, Greenleaf
Sam, Son of Hamfast
Leowyn
Farmer Maggot, Chaser of Rascals
Bounder
Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs
Merry's Sword 2
Eomer's Spear
Firefoot
Eowyn's Sword, Dernhelm's Blade
Brego
Rohirrim Bow 4
Simbelmyne 4
Fortress Never Fallen 2
Armory
Arrow-Slits
Fell Deeds Awake
The Tale of the Great Ring

Shadow:
Mauhur, Patrol Leader 2
Uruk Searcher 3
Uruk Seeker 4
Uruk Plains Runner 3
Grima, Wormtongue 2
Weary 4
Many Riddles 2
What Did You Discover
Greed
Broad-Bladed Sword 4
Vengeance 2
Kill Them Now

Site Path:
Edoras Hall
Rohirrim Camp
Base of Mindolluin
Pelennor Prairie
Steward's Tomb
Minas Tirith Fourth Circle
Pelennor Grassland
Watchers of Cirith Ungol
Dagorlad
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:57:10 PM by ket_the_jet »

August 29, 2010, 07:48:58 PM
Reply #1

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
Re: Rohan/Isengard Trackers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 07:48:58 PM »
just want to throw this out there...
Merry's Sword protects from shotgun enquea, so add more companions, Aragorn, RotN, Faramir, SoD or instead maybe add a couple hobbit party guest to heal farmer maggot
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

August 29, 2010, 07:52:47 PM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:52:47 PM »
I counted nine companions in the deck as it is and my intention was certainly to play all of them.
-wtk

August 29, 2010, 07:58:59 PM
Reply #3

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 07:58:59 PM »
wow, for some reason i thought there were only 6...

you have only 14 minions who can fight, that number seems a bit small, i would maybe git rid of all the broad bladed sword and change them into minions

August 29, 2010, 08:03:25 PM
Reply #4

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:03:25 PM »
Yeah, that's true. I had thought about potentially adding Berserk Butcher and a machine or two, but dumped that idea because that was just too much.

I think I could potentially cut one Broad-Bladed Sword, one Vengeance, one of the Saruman, Servant of the Eye, and even the copy of Abandoning Reason for Madness and add three or four more minions. Which tracker do you think fits in the deck best at three copies?

Honestly, I think Orc Runner or Orc Pursuer* might be nice additions for the extra card-drawing during the Shadow phase. If I were to add another minion or two, I would definitely want something with card drawing action. The downside is that they are a little more expensive being [Sauron] Orcs.

Uruk Scout is another option thanks to his nice less-twilight for roaming bonus.
-wtk

August 29, 2010, 08:12:38 PM
Reply #5

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »
Scout would work, or just add one more each of seeker, searcher and plains runner

August 29, 2010, 08:14:35 PM
Reply #6

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 08:14:35 PM »
I like What Did You Discover? as a way to draw an extra tracker on a double move, but what kind of card drawing ability does [Isengard] have in Movie Block for Shadow drawing?

Abandoning Reason for Madness is really all I can think of.

Edit: Also, I took away one Saruman and added one Uruk Seeker because I happened to have an extra foil of him. So that adds one fighting minion...up to 15 now...
-wtk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:31:04 PM by ket_the_jet »

August 30, 2010, 01:14:56 AM
Reply #7

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 01:14:56 AM »
I have a very similar [Isengard] tracker deck and found that I very much prefer Uruk Searcher over even Ugluk.

In my deck, the deadliest combo: Uruk Searcher, Broad Bladed Sword, Saruman, Servant of the Eye and a search card. That's 10 twilight after site 4 and at least one companion ends in the dead pile.

Seeing how my Searcher does most of the killing, I have 4x Weary, 2x Many Riddles and 2x Rest While You Can (Many Riddles is better, but it requires an exertion).
I also run 2x Vengeance and 2x Kill Them Now. More than once Kill Them Now proved more useful than Vengeance. I don't like to boast, but my [Isengard] trackers kick some heavy #$&*@!. Even on a really bad draw, they were very troublesome for my opponent. So far, the most effective Fellowship against them were heavily fortified Knights.

I have also found that 2x copies of Uruk Hunter are very helpful. I like to throw him out early. If you don't get Ugluk or enough twilight for Ugluk and few more trackers, he is the way to go. I love to play him on site 4, he will most likely win both skirmishes, add couple of wounds (maybe more if weary is in play) and prepare my opponent for site 5 onslaught (which is Stewards Tomb).

1 more copy of Greed could be good.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

August 30, 2010, 03:43:48 AM
Reply #8

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 03:43:48 AM »
I don't like to boast, but my [Isengard] trackers kick some heavy #$&*@!.

Boast away!

A copy of Uruk Hunter might make it in the deck. Or, considering that I [currently] have seven [2] minions, a thumper like Lurtz, Servant of Isengard might be a cool idea. But then again, [1][1] at site 4 or earlier...probably not going to happen.

I was trying to think of one "big" minion to have as a "last resort" character when I just need that one kill, and there really aren't that many good [Isengard] guys who fit that description. Uruk Assault Band, Uruk Vanguard...these guys would not be the kind of guys I would want.

Sauron, the Lord of the Rings is always a cool option, but I don't add burdens, threats, or control sites so that is kind of out of the picture. And of course, a copy of Saruman's Staff might be a neat little trick, but then I would have to add back a third copy of Saruman and is [6] really worth it for a 10-4 fierce companion? Although then again...he could assign himself too...

All great thoughts. I look forward to more people getting involved.
-wtk

August 30, 2010, 04:32:43 AM
Reply #9

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 04:32:43 AM »
No Grima Wormtongue? Seriously, this card is one fo the most important card in any Tracker decks that tries to face Durin, LAoEaM Decks or anything else with many possessions. Even if there's only two cards on that comp, play Weary or Many Riddles on it (I don't like rest while you can) and whoops, the comp is naked and ready to be killed. Pack at least two Grimas.

I also neither play Broad-Bladed Sword nor ArfM, as those just take slots away other cards could use. I run 4x Ugluk, SoS and 3x Mauhur, PL as those are really essential, I know that Ugluk can come back with What Did You Discover? , but still ,he's just a waaaaaay to good card in a tracker deck. You can easily make a mini-swarm at site 3 when your opponent has double moved with Ugluk and two other Uruks potentially killing of one or two comps which often hurts badly.

LBC also helps a lot with killing comps, consider adding one or two.

August 30, 2010, 04:47:31 AM
Reply #10

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 04:47:31 AM »
I am not fond of Wormtongue as most [good] decks that stack Durin also run Slaked Thirsts on Preparations. I can see his benefits, but against what I face there is never 3 cards stacked on the same person without decent protection from Wormtongue.

I can see the benefit though and will consider adding one or two.

Archery is relatively heavy in my meta, making Broad-Bladed Sword a responsible addition to the deck. Maybe if I cut it to three Swords, I can replace Abandoing Reason for Madness for that Helm's Deep card that plays weapons during the maneuver phase.
-wtk

Edit 1: Black Shapes Crawling was the one I was thinking of.
-wtk

Edit 2: I just looked at the card again and Black Shapes Crawling really sucks.
-wtk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:34:20 PM by ket_the_jet »

August 30, 2010, 04:49:50 AM
Reply #11

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 04:49:50 AM »
Indeed, I don't know how I forgot about Wormtongue. Broad-Bladed Sword is the only protection against Elven Archery or Multi-Cult Wounding. 4 copies of Ugluk and 3 of Mauhur is too much. More than once you'll get yourself clogged with 2 Ugluks or 2 Mauhurs in hand, especially in a small deck like that. Rest While You Can can be nice, messes a bit with your opponents deck and provides bonus for Uruk Searcher and Uruk Seeker. Many Riddles is much better, but I found its exerting requirement can be a big detriment.

Trade List (TLHH)

August 30, 2010, 08:10:09 AM
Reply #12

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 08:10:09 AM »
Indeed.

but small? if I counted correctly, it's about 34 cards big. And even considering the case that you might have 2 Ugluks in your hand, he's really just way to good so I take the risk. I mostly win with Ugluk bein' 12 strength, damage +1 and fierce, then having a LBC in hand often means game over. Mauhur really is nice as he can make your Uruks survive the skirmish phase so that their fierce ability triggers, which usually is just cruel (Uruk plains runner, which you must run 4, he's cheap, strong and causes death everywhere. Also very useful to make an early kill at Site 3 with Ugluk).

Oh, and as for Grima, I don't see many Rohan Decks havin' maneuver wounding, besides Merry's Sword and Terrible and Evil, of course. Same for Gondor, Elves... Decks that stack even only 2 cards on a comp can be easily defeated with Wormtongue.

August 30, 2010, 08:42:45 AM
Reply #13

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 08:42:45 AM »
Point well-taken about Grima. I will likely add a pair of copies to the deck list, potentially replacing Abandoning Reason for Madness (my only Shadow Phase drawing engine) and one copy of Vengeance (which would put 3).
-wtk

August 30, 2010, 09:50:56 AM
Reply #14

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
yeah, 3 Vengeance should be enough. it won't be that easy to fin two foiled Grimas, but this deck really needs them. Movie isn't TS, so even though the card is from the same block, it actually sees much more play in Movie. I try to packin at least one in most Isengard Decks. And no, you don't need ARfM, my cousin had first 4 of those in his Uruk Bomb Deck, then started droppin' one after the other.

August 30, 2010, 10:20:45 AM
Reply #15

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »
As a single copy, I don't think Abandoning Reason for Madness can really hurt me. It's a great card that can cycle you in a jam and if things are looking good, you can just discard it with Leowyn, or its own text.

I really want to fit a copy or two of Spies of Saruman and/or Saruman's Snows in the deck, but can't really find a place for it/them.
-wtk

August 30, 2010, 10:51:03 AM
Reply #16

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 10:51:03 AM »
no, I wouldn't use them, they don't really fit nto that strategy, maybe drop broad-bladed sword for Spies of Saruman, that's the only way I see a possibility to use that condition.

August 30, 2010, 11:21:26 AM
Reply #17

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 11:21:26 AM »
Well, 34 is small for me. I'm used to bigger d_cks. ;)

Average for my decks is 37 or 38 with 34 being the smallest and 44 being the biggest. I said it before and I'll say it again: Uruk Searcher kicks #$&*@!. In my experience, it's easier to make him str 11, fierce and dmg +1 than Ugluk. 3 copies of Ugluk and 2 copies of Mauhur are enough. In my deck, they are more of a support than main offense. I'd keep the swords and stay clear of Spies of Saruman or Saruman's Snows. Saruman's Snows doesn't let you play Vengeance and both conditions are quite expensive.

Trade List (TLHH)

August 30, 2010, 02:27:45 PM
Reply #18

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 02:27:45 PM »
Okay, I added the two Grima, Wormtongue, but I am still not 100% convinced on the Shadow as it stands. I feel like it is pretty solid, but it is not fantastic. Granted, it is [Isengard] Trackers, but I really want it to be as good of a Tracker deck as it can be at 34 cards.

I still think one "big" minion, strength 15 or so, might be a nice "surprise." I'm almost tempted to throw a Terror of Flame and Shadow in there for fun, but I don't want to go to the efforts of getting another one of those foiled.
-wtk

August 30, 2010, 02:53:13 PM
Reply #19

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 02:53:13 PM »
I think Lurtz would be the best way to go. With Sword, he'd be str 15, dmg+1, possibly fierce and archer.

Trade List (TLHH)

August 31, 2010, 09:25:40 AM
Reply #20

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 09:25:40 AM »
lol, Ihave an Echo of Luthien Deck that is 31/31, and I usually don't Deck out. it's more about using your cards wisely, I ,ostly have certain cards in my Deck for a certain reason, so I don't just toss away, only if they would be really useless against the opponent's Deck (e.g. Grow Suddenly Tall against Corsairs). Many of my Decks are 33-35 cards big, cus' it's very hard to trim them down... but still, 38 cards average?!

"The man who chases two rabbits, catches none" -Confuzius

August 31, 2010, 09:32:46 AM
Reply #21

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 09:32:46 AM »
Well, some of my decks really could use some trimming, but most is ok. I am usually either decked out or have few cards left by site 9.

Trade List (TLHH)

August 31, 2010, 09:42:12 AM
Reply #22

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:12 AM »
Well, each on his own, it all depends on playing style. I usually do not toss away any GATS if I draw it, only if having 3 or 4 copies. They're just waay to good.

September 01, 2010, 12:48:12 PM
Reply #23

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 12:48:12 PM »
"The man who chases two rabbits, catches none" -Confuzius

"Vive virtute duce comite fortuna." -Marcus Aurelius

Live life with courage as guide and fortune as partner....

Or, something more shallow: no nuts, no glory. Bigger decks do not need to be worse decks, they need good playing and maybe a bit more luck ;)
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

September 01, 2010, 09:55:57 PM
Reply #24

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »
This deck is evil.  Gerontius plays with a couple Desert Lords too, but I don't think you need those.

On a side-note, I've always found Mauhur's effect a little confusing.  How long does the effect last?  Why is it a Skirmish action and not a Response?
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

September 01, 2010, 10:04:43 PM
Reply #25

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
It lasts as long as the skirmish in which it was used.

For example Ugluk is about to loose a skirmish to a damage+4 Durin... Use Mahur's text, Ugluk lives. It can be a great way to keep Uruks on the table to stop people double moving.

September 02, 2010, 12:11:29 AM
Reply #26

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 12:11:29 AM »
It lasts as long as the skirmish in which it was used.

For example Ugluk is about to loose a skirmish to a damage+4 Durin... Use Mahur's text, Ugluk lives. It can be a great way to keep Uruks on the table to stop people double moving.

or to keep Uruk Plains Runner alive for the fierce skirmish. ;)

Trade List (TLHH)

September 02, 2010, 06:52:07 AM
Reply #27

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 06:52:07 AM »
I am reading some comments here and getting pretty excited to have it all foiled up and completed!
-wtk

September 03, 2010, 07:30:08 AM
Reply #28

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 07:30:08 AM »
you still have only three copies of Uruk Plains Runner. But he's the best. I'd really, really recommend it.

September 03, 2010, 07:41:46 AM
Reply #29

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 07:41:46 AM »
As he has just one vitality, I don't; it's a meta decision.
-wtk
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:26:49 PM by ket_the_jet »

September 03, 2010, 07:53:22 AM
Reply #30

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 07:53:22 AM »
Hmm... maybe one day, you'll see how awesome he is. it's just about dropping him at the right time and see him killing people. I once won saving 4x Uruk Plains Runner and Ugluk, SoS. That was just cruel... Ugluk with LBC killing off a comp, and then two fierce guys on the RB with damage +2... he's a cheap, versatile minion. and having one vitality can sometimesbe better than 2, as Shadowplay/ Unheeded and the like appear pretty often in Movie. Maybe it's worse to have 1 vitality than 2 in most cases, but still, you also have some Mauhur, PL, don't you?

September 03, 2010, 08:11:10 AM
Reply #31

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »
I understand your point and I think if you use the search function and search "trackers" in Tower, TS, and Movie, you will find me commenting somewhere that Uruk Plains Runner is great...no need to suggest that I don't know what I'm doing.

I only run two Mauhur, Patrol Leader and it is largely a meta decision to run just three Uruk Plains Runner.
-wtk

September 03, 2010, 08:22:11 AM
Reply #32

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 08:22:11 AM »
Really? I didn't use the search function... ;)

OK, when it's your Meta, then I must agree. But otherwise, I see him being a real staple in like 99% of all Tracker Decks. Use 4 when you get back on GCCG.

September 03, 2010, 08:27:01 AM
Reply #33

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 08:27:01 AM »
The three decks I am most often seeing are:

Elvents/Beasterlings
[Gondor] Wraiths/Twilight [Wraith]
[Gondor]/[Rohan] Archery/Assignment Control

Not to mention if I have people playing my other decks:
Knights/Direct Wounding
Dwarves/Moria

So that is largely my Meta. Two of the three decks are archery or wound-based so a one-vitality minion won't help me and he's not always going to be the best option for Broad-Bladed Sword.
-wtk

September 03, 2010, 08:30:07 AM
Reply #34

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 08:30:07 AM »
You don't play with your brother anymore?

Anyway, my Metas are GCCG and the tons of decks I and my cousin use, around 20 of all kind of different formats.

September 03, 2010, 08:33:50 AM
Reply #35

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 08:33:50 AM »
The three decks on top are my brother's. He's in college now and rarely comes to visit, but I'm a #$&*@! big brother too and I never go to Savannah to visit him either.

And I haven't been on GCCG since March and before you ask, "No, I'm not really actively getting involved with GCCG in the near future."
-wtk

September 07, 2010, 06:47:37 PM
Reply #36

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 06:47:37 PM »
Okay, so this is the current Shadow.

Shadow:
Mauhur, Patrol Leader 2
Uruk Searcher 3
Uruk Seeker 4
Uruk Plains Runner 3
Grima, Wormtongue 2

Weary 4
Many Riddles 2
What Did You Discover
Greed

Broad-Bladed Sword 4

Vengeance 3

_____________________________ __

So what would you add or subtract if you wanted to keep the deck at 34 cards but wanted to add a third Saruman, Servant of the Eye and a Lurtz, Servant of Isengard?

My best bet would be to remove one copy of Grima, Wormtongue and one copy of Many Riddles, I think.

Edit: Although I may add a copy of The Tale of the Great Ring and run the deck at 35/35...
-wtk
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:13:12 PM by ket_the_jet »

September 08, 2010, 02:01:12 AM
Reply #37

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 02:01:12 AM »
I think 3x Saruman, SoE is too much. I really love that guy, but he is indeed expensive and 2 copies seems quite enough. He's there to be played at site 5 and kill a companion or 2 so ti makes it easier for you to kill the rest.

Lurtz, SoI would be a nice surprise addition and if it is the choice between throwing out Many Riddles or Wormtongue, I choose Wormtongue. I found that Many Riddles can help a lot with its text. Another card that may work well with [Isengard] trackers and Weary in particular is Caradhras Has Not Forgiven Us. It could work as a nice surprise.

Trade List (TLHH)

September 08, 2010, 03:19:24 AM
Reply #38

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 03:19:24 AM »
I do have a foil copy of Caradhras Has Not Forgiven Us. But like I said, I'd hate for the deck to get too big.

I think 33 is about the perfect size, but for the sake of the Freeps I have it at 34. Although I could remove Fell Deeds Awake and have it at 33/33. But I think that creates bigger problems for the Shadow. There are so many cool "splash" cards that I could put in the deck...
-wtk

Edit: But if you think three Saruman, Servant of the Eye is too many, then I will take your word for it. I will add Lurtz, Servant of Isengard in right now and a copy of The Tale of the Great Ring to balance the deck at 35/35. If I want to make a cut or two, then Fell Deeds Awake will be the first card to go (site control not in my meta) and we'll see what goes with my Shadow...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:20:55 AM by ket_the_jet »

September 08, 2010, 04:48:12 AM
Reply #39

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 04:48:12 AM »
Maybe you should try it on GCCG  :roll:
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

September 12, 2010, 05:12:43 AM
Reply #40

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 05:12:43 AM »
Well, I'm back on GCCG.

I've played the [Rohan] Tracker deck twice now. It is 0-2.

Both games were against Elves as the Freeps which decimated my tracker conditions.

Both games the Free Peoples looked pretty good. The second game, Merry was killed at site two by a Gorgoroth Assassin, which sucked #$&*@!. But the Freeps are way better/a lot more fun to play than the SFtF [Rohan] deck I had.

I might replace Legolas, Greenleaf with Hrethel (or another [Rohan] guy). I find that it is tough to kill Theoden to play Rohirrim Army because I'd have to have Eomer, Eowyn, and Gamling out. Maybe Grimbold?

Both games were against site control decks (one [Isengard], one Besieger). The first game the guy didn't get any sites because I kept using Fell Deeds Awake. But Greed really slowed me down when he played just one minion then exhausted all of my guys at Steward's Tomb. The second game, I didn't draw Fell Deeds Awake, but the Freeps were still very competitive. I drew Eowyn's Sword, Dernhelm's Blade at the right time and was able to kill a Siege Troop with it.
-wtk

September 12, 2010, 05:24:23 AM
Reply #41

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2010, 05:24:23 AM »
you still have only three copies of Uruk Plains Runner. But he's the best. I'd really, really recommend it.

he doesn't rely on conditions. And that's also a reason why Ugluk, SoS is mostly better than Uruk Searcher.

You could consider adding Aragorn, RotN instead of Greenleaf. Or Faramir, SoD.

Just to ask, how did you loose the first game?

September 12, 2010, 05:28:29 AM
Reply #42

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2010, 05:28:29 AM »
When I play my [Isengard] tracker deck against elves I try to run with freeps, or if I can't, I keep certain cards in hand until the right opportunity arises. (Saruman, SotE, Uruk Searcher, Broad-Bladed Sword and Vengeance or Kill Them Now under assumption that some [Isengard] search cards in play.) Someone dies with that combination.

Ugluk doesn't rely on conditions, but relies on other trackers. Without them, he's practically worthless. It's much cheaper to play Uruk Searcher and a condition than Ugluk and several other trackers.

Trade List (TLHH)

September 12, 2010, 11:18:36 AM
Reply #43

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »
that's true, but as Elve have tons of Condition removal during Maneuver and Company of Archers in movie, it doesn't really matter as your conditons will be discarded anyway. Or if they run the Gandalf package with Brooding on tomorrow.

September 18, 2010, 02:58:34 AM
Reply #44

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2010, 02:58:34 AM »
hmm... I'm not really sure if this works so well, as chances of getting both Merry's Sword and Chaser of Rascals at once aren't that high, but both are needed. I wouldn't change the whole strategy just becuase of one card. you could have added one more Merry's Sword to get on strength 5 anyway, so I think this change is more than pointless.

September 18, 2010, 04:41:06 AM
Reply #45

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2010, 04:41:06 AM »
I think that increasing the number of Farmer Maggot, Chaser of Rascals from one to two suffices nicely, as I really don't need him until site 3 and on. I prefer a strength 7 Merry to a strength 5 Merry, and I can always grab Merry's Sword with Simbelmyne.

So it was actually the opposite of a pointless change.
-wtk

Edit: I thought about being tricky, but Frodo's Pipe is the only card that heals characters with the Frodo signet. Hobbit Appetite is garbage and Stout and Sturdy isn't really helpful enough. Store Room would be perfect if I ran Gandalf, but I don't and I'm not going to. Birchseed, Tall Statesman or Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence would be superfluous. Those are pretty much my other Hobbit Healing options. Pass.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:50:58 AM by ket_the_jet »

September 18, 2010, 04:49:54 AM
Reply #46

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2010, 04:49:54 AM »
... but if you can get another Merry's Sword with Simbelmyne anyway, why do you have to start a strength 5 Merry then? You said that you lost Merry at Site 2 against a strength 7 minion. But as you have 4x Simbelmyne and 2x Merry's Sword, those were just bad draws. You can see it the either way, or the other, but I actually think that Noble Warrior isn't really needed.

September 18, 2010, 04:52:40 AM
Reply #47

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2010, 04:52:40 AM »
Would Merry's Sword be your first pull with Simbelmyne? No, it wouldn't be mine either. But in the first three games I played, Merry, Horticulturalist died by site 5. That's just unacceptable. At strength 7, he's at least "competitive companion" sized.

MuadDib brought up the point of running 3 or 4 copies of Merry and starting Eowyn and Eomer, but I don't think that I can get the deck small enough to justify doing that. Honestly, that would probably be the best option.

Conceptually, swapping any starting Merry with Eomer means that I need to find two more deck spots to add Merry. I think the Shadow ran best at 34 cards, so that's where I'd prefer to keep it.

Have you ever used Merry, Noble Warrior? He's already come through in a pinch for me.
-wtk
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:55:24 AM by ket_the_jet »

September 18, 2010, 04:57:21 AM
Reply #48

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2010, 04:57:21 AM »
I agree that Noble Warrior can be nice, but Grimbold is some real bullsh**. I don't like him, as he does really nothing but cycle a bit and being Valiant. You could also use Household Guard...

September 18, 2010, 05:24:11 AM
Reply #49

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2010, 05:24:11 AM »
I agree that Noble Warrior can be nice, but Grimbold is some real bullsh**. I don't like him, as he does really nothing but cycle a bit and being Valiant. You could also use Household Guard...

But why would I use Household Guard if I could have the added benefits of a little bit of cycling?

I tried running the deck with Eowyn, Daughter of Eomund. I just thought that the benefits of having Lady of Ithilien outweighed starting Eowyn.
-wtk

September 20, 2010, 10:39:48 AM
Reply #50

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »
Brilliant!

Starting Theoden and Eowyn. Removed on Farmer Maggot and Grimbold. Added two Merry (three total).

I think we did it.
-wtk

Edit: It seemed so obvious, but it really did work great in my first game with it on GCCG. I'll test it once or twice more, but I think it is good to go!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:55:46 PM by ket_the_jet »

September 21, 2010, 12:20:14 PM
Reply #51

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »
Ok, nice compromise; no Grimbold, but you still have Noble Warrior, but I still think having one farmer maggot could be nice.

September 21, 2010, 12:35:24 PM
Reply #52

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
Ok, nice compromise; no Grimbold, but you still have Noble Warrior, but I still think having one farmer maggot could be nice.

I do have one. I now have multiple Merry to heal so I didn't need two.
-wtk

September 21, 2010, 12:45:31 PM
Reply #53

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »
Ah, ok, so that's nice.