LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: discard all conditions  (Read 9572 times)

August 10, 2008, 02:39:49 PM
Read 9572 times

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
discard all conditions
« on: August 10, 2008, 02:39:49 PM »
Let's say I playing vs a fully equiped Hobbit deck. All kind of conditions lying around and I have Saruman's Power. But what if he has Scouring of the Shire? Does that get discarded immediately along with the rest or does SotS his trick first? Like saving a few conditions and then gets discarded as well?
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 10, 2008, 03:39:50 PM
Reply #1

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: discard all conditions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 03:39:50 PM »
Saruman's power is about to discard conditions, so Scouring of the Shire can do its response action. It can save a number of them from being discarded until it is full of tokens - at that point all conditions not so protected are discarded.

That's what I reckon, at least.
Anvar
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

August 10, 2008, 07:22:56 PM
Reply #2

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:22:56 PM »
  I Think Anvar is right. If there are say, 8 conditions on the table and you use Sarumans Power he/she can prevent four of this conditions of being dicarded and them get allong with the rest to the discard pile. So you choose the four conditions (adding tokens on Scouring) and when it gets 4 tokens it´s gone  :ninja:

Notice that some cards like Siege Engine prevents one or more conditions of being discarded. So if some player try to discard them all with, say, Sleep Caradhras, the text of Siege Engine could bu used to prevent all others to go away...

Hope this help...

August 10, 2008, 09:23:39 PM
Reply #3

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 09:23:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Anvar and Pepin have this right.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

August 11, 2008, 11:11:33 AM
Reply #4

Kralik

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »
This isn't a direct comparison, but Plundered Armories has a clarification by Decipher that states when all minions are discarded, they are discarded at the same time. Below:

If a minion bearing a [Moria] weapon is discarded due to losing a skirmish, Plundered Armories takes effect before optional actions triggered by winning/losing that skirmish occur. When an effect discards "all" minions (thereby discarding their weapons), they are discarded at the same time. None of those minions may have weapons played on them with Plundered Armories.

I think it would be the same with conditions: if you discard ALL conditions, it is done simultaneously with no chance to use Siege Engine, SotS, etc. Those conditions would be discarded before they could prevent others from being discarded.

August 12, 2008, 04:45:30 AM
Reply #5

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 04:45:30 AM »
Kralik is correct
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

August 12, 2008, 06:00:56 AM
Reply #6

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 06:00:56 AM »
Oh, so that's where the "simultaneous" ruling went.

I gotta agree with Anvar here. Scouring of the Shire triggers before it's actually discarded ("is about to be discarded from play"), giving it time to protect conditions, including itself.

If Scouring was worded like "Response: If a condition is discarded from play, play it from your discard pile" (similar to Plundered Armories), then it wouldn't work.

August 12, 2008, 08:32:56 AM
Reply #7

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:32:56 AM »
   I think Elessar is right. Same with Siege Engine. It´s game text says "when one or more machines are about to be discarded..." So it responds to this situation (of discarding all conditions) preventing it and changing the effects wich now is "disacard Siege Engine Instead" (paying the costs...).

I recall reading some example of this in the rulebook with a similar case envolving Siege Engine althought i´m not 100% sure...

August 12, 2008, 08:46:47 AM
Reply #8

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 08:46:47 AM »
Anvar is correct.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

August 12, 2008, 09:31:55 AM
Reply #9

Kralik

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
TheJord is correct. :P

Actually, I was just throwing my 2 cents out, but I'm not the rules guru here. The reasoning behind SotS makes sense, since it can "protect" itself, but a question on Siege Engine:

If there is only one Siege Engine in play, and all conditions must be discarded, who decides the order? As far as I understand it, either they are discarded all at once (and Siege Engine cannot be used) or they are discarded in some arbitrary order. If Freeps chooses the order, Siege Engine goes first and cannot save itself. If Shadow chooses the order, some other machine gets to survive and Siege Engine is discarded per its game text.

August 12, 2008, 10:19:10 AM
Reply #10

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 10:19:10 AM »
Anvar is correct.

Stop being Bib here...he's the one to answer this way and only then we turn in to believers.....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 12, 2008, 11:43:14 AM
Reply #11

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 11:43:14 AM »
Consider this alternative version of Kralik's example. I have Plundered Armories and the Free Peoples player decides to stay. I cannot discard the minions one at a time to activate PA.

You cannot decide what order to discard the conditions, they all get discarded, simultaneously (a rare occurence in LOTR)
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

August 12, 2008, 12:35:21 PM
Reply #12

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »
Well, you people have a point here but the trick is: Siege Engine responds to discard of one or more machines. So it´s actions take place before the condition itself (or any condition) is discarded, doesn´t matter if the freepeople player can or not choose discard Siege Engine first...

When i have time i will search where is teh example cited in the rulebook (or some sort of) that envolves this card to shead some more light into my argument...

August 12, 2008, 01:08:19 PM
Reply #13

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 01:08:19 PM »
The point is in the wording, "about to be discarded." The action of Saruman's Power is about to resolve, saying all conditions are to be discarded simultaneously. Since any one of those conditions is  "About to be discarded..." the Response effect then triggers before the conditions are discarded (because about to discard comes before discard, obviously) and the conditions can be saved.

The "About to be..." is what separates Plundered Armories from Scouring and Siege Engine.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

August 12, 2008, 02:27:51 PM
Reply #14

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
If there is only one Siege Engine in play, and all conditions must be discarded, who decides the order? As far as I understand it, either they are discarded all at once (and Siege Engine cannot be used) or they are discarded in some arbitrary order. If Freeps chooses the order, Siege Engine goes first and cannot save itself. If Shadow chooses the order, some other machine gets to survive and Siege Engine is discarded per its game text.
They're discarded simultaneously.

Let's say you have 5 conditions in play, including Siege Engine. Opponent plays Sleep, Caradhras. At this point Siege Engine triggers: one or more (5) conditions are about to be discarded. As a response you can discard Siege Engine to prevent that, saving the other 4 conditions.

In fact the simultaneous ruling is needed for Siege Engine to work correctly. If conditions were discarded one at a time, Siege Engine will "see" only one condition about to be discarded, meaning it can only ever protect one (since it'll be discarded as the cost before it has the chance to protect others). But because conditions are discarded simultaneously, it can protect the rest of the lot at one go.

In contrast Scouring of the Shire does not discard itself as the cost. As the Free Peoples player, you get to choose the order in which to protect the conditions, triggering it once for each condition. (Incidentally, you can't trigger it more than once for the same condition, because after the first time, the "about to be discarded" situation for that particular card will be prevented.) It's only after you're done responding that the game moves on; at this point the rest of the conditions are actually discarded.

With SotS it's like having a bunch of conditions falling to the ground like leaves. You freeze time, place a support under some of them, and then resume time--the rest of the conditions drop, but the ones supported stay in play. ;)