LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: TLHH Virtual Set #1: Preliminary Discussion  (Read 37455 times)

February 08, 2011, 11:56:36 AM
Reply #75

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: TLHH Virtual Set #1
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2011, 11:56:36 AM »
Okay let's try a standard format that we can keep using (I couldn't be bothered to faff with tables so I've just put in spaces the old fashioned way!).

Code                      Card                                                                  Notes
V1*R01                   The One Ring, The Ruling Ring                              not too universal that it makes others obsolete

V1GA02                   Gandalf, The Grey Wizard                                     flagship character
V1DW03                  Gimli, Dwarf of Erebor                                          
V1RO04                   Sigewulf, Brave Volunteer or Aldor                        valiant companions and/or [Rohan] discard
V1GF05                   Days Growing Dark                                              discarding Sméagol
V1SH06                   Fearing the Worst                                                fighting Hobbits?
V1EL07                    Lightfootedness                                                   something for the Náith?
V1GO08                   Strength of Kings                                                unbound rangers or knights? (RotK)

V1WA09                  The Witch-King, Deathless Lord                             flagship character
V1MO10                  Goblin Archer                                                      [Moria] archery and/or corruption
V1RA11                   Desert Lancers                                                    Southron site control
V1IS12                    Alive and Unspoiled                                             [Isengard] search cards and/or corruption
V1SA13                   The Weight of a Legacy
V1DU14                   Leaping Blaze                                                     [Dunland] discard? playing during skirmish phase?
V1GS15                   Master Broke His Promise

(I noticed as I was posting this that both Goblin Archer and Desert Lancers are [5]. We might want to therefore find another [Raider] guy—I think the [Moria] guy is probably as good as we're going to get, unless we go for Ancient Chieftain. Also on twilight cost, both FP events cost (0).)

I think an overall theme might be good to narrow down our thinking when we're coming to cards.

I'm seeing a lot of Shadow cards possibly about corruption, and I'm also thinking about the central flagship: the conflict between Gandalf and the Witch-King (in FotR and RotK). Some sort of corruption vs. resistance?

Thranduil
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:59:28 AM by Thranduil »

February 08, 2011, 12:00:30 PM
Reply #76

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »
Looks good to me for a list. 

February 08, 2011, 12:15:38 PM
Reply #77

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »
I would keep this list. Goblin Archery can use some help. We have to keep in mind tho that some cards can be used for more formats, and can creature NPE that we didnt think of at first.

February 08, 2011, 12:19:42 PM
Reply #78

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »
RB, you reminded me that we need to think about supporting different formats. For example, multiplayer is a format that I don't think any cards (apart from Cast it into the Fire!) have really supported. Maybe we should make some multiplayer friendly cards? Also we have to think about cards designed for standard, movie etc.

Thran

February 08, 2011, 01:10:03 PM
Reply #79

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2011, 01:10:03 PM »
The above list looks good to me. I'd like to see a whole virtual set facilitate multiplayer a little more, but a problem is that those cards have to be decent in normal play since multiplayer won't see online play. GCCG doesn't support anything more than 1 on 1, correct? If I'm right that means multiplayer focused cards are of limited use in online format and won't see play too often.

My dream would be to have cards that would make 4 player games more fun. I have a group of local friends I want to introduce the game to but I really want to play multiplayer.

February 08, 2011, 01:24:34 PM
Reply #80

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »
GCCG doesn't support anything more than 1 on 1, correct?

GCCG has a 3P and 4P tables, meaning it does support multiplayer game. (although, 1v1 is also a multiplayer ;))
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

February 08, 2011, 01:32:47 PM
Reply #81

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2011, 01:32:47 PM »
So it's agreed that the card list of Virtual Set #1 is done.

Let's begin the design of the cards themselves...

February 08, 2011, 01:36:28 PM
Reply #82

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2011, 01:36:28 PM »
GCCG doesn't support anything more than 1 on 1, correct?

GCCG has a 3P and 4P tables, meaning it does support multiplayer game. (although, 1v1 is also a multiplayer ;))

Good to know. I guess I should play that sometime...

February 08, 2011, 01:45:51 PM
Reply #83

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »
So it's agreed that the card list of Virtual Set #1 is done.

Let's begin the design of the cards themselves...

Do you guys want to start a new topic for this? Or just use this topic?

February 08, 2011, 02:20:10 PM
Reply #84

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
I will start a new topic in a couple of minutes.

February 08, 2011, 02:57:36 PM
Reply #85

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: TLHH Virtual Set #1: Preliminary Discussion
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »
Okay, I've written a ridiculous amount here. Please comment!

Thran

February 09, 2011, 03:18:14 AM
Reply #86

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2011, 03:18:14 AM »
It be an idea we made a subforum for set 1, and create a thread for each card. It is a lot clearer, and it makes the process work much faster.

March 17, 2011, 07:00:16 PM
Reply #87

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »
I cannot recall if we've discussed this or not, but I think we need to determine which formats we plan to eventually allow these virtual cards in. The reason I ask is because figuring that out will aid us in designing the cards (and the sets) themselves.

Here's a way I think we could organize it that I think would work nicely.

[#1: "Things Long Forgotten"]
  Virtual Set #1 would be virtual versions of Fellowship block cards.  (Allowed in FOTR, TS, and Movie)
  Virtual Set #2 would be virtual versions of Towers block cards.  (Allowed in TS and Movie)
  Virtual Set #3 would be virtual versions of King block cards.  (Allowed in Movie)

[#2: "<insert theme here> (a chance to introduce a new keyword, etc.)"]
  Virtual Set #4 would be virtual versions of Fellowship block cards.  (Allowed in FOTR, TS, and Movie)
  Virtual Set #5 would be virtual versions of Towers block cards.  (Allowed in TS and Movie)
  Virtual Set #6 would be virtual versions of King block cards.  (Allowed in Movie)

Note: Almost all the cards we currently have selected for Virtual Set #1 are Fellowship block cards,
         so deferring the few that are not Fellowship block until Virtual Set #2 or 3 should be reasonable.
         (e.g. The Witch-king, Deathless Lord could be the flagship character for Virtual Set #2)

By using this strategy, here is how Virtual Set #1 could look:

Code                      Card                                                                  Notes
V1*R01                   The One Ring, The Ruling Ring                         not too universal that it makes others obsolete
V1GA02                   Gandalf, The Grey Pilgrim                                flagship character
V1DW03                  Gimli, Dwarf of Erebor                                          
V1SH04                   Fearing the Worst                                           fighting Hobbits?
V1EL05                   Lightfootedness                                                
V1GO06                  Strength of Kings                                                
V1WA07                  Beauty is Fading                                              
V1MO08                  Goblin Archer                                                    [Moria] archery and/or corruption
V1IS09                    Alive and Unspoiled                                          [Isengard] search cards and/or corruption
V1SA10                   The Weight of a Legacy
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:05:58 AM by Tbiesty »

March 18, 2011, 01:15:02 AM
Reply #88

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2011, 01:15:02 AM »
I'm not sure we need to be so strict on which cards we put in which V-Set (despite how aesthetically appealing it might be!).

I would push for a more general rule for the legality of V-cards: they're legal in whatever block and set the original card appeared in, and also Standard.

Thran

March 18, 2011, 04:17:37 AM
Reply #89

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2011, 04:17:37 AM »
I also disagree with block sets. Let us first get a decent set out (or a few), THEN we can look at themes and such. I know for a fact that some advocated a whole Vset devoted to X-ed cards, which is also block spanning.