LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Realms of Middle-earth: Regroup Phase at Site 4 (The Wold)  (Read 34336 times)

September 17, 2008, 12:07:53 PM
Reply #15

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
Re: Realms of Middle-earth: Now at Site 3 (Edoras)
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 12:07:53 PM »
Duinihir entered the room, in pain, weary from the battle and ready to collapse. With all that he had faced in the last two days, his survival was nigh miraculous. Entering the chamber, the hardy ranger, for perhaps the first time in his life, had only one thing on his mind.

"Sleep."

With that, Duinihir, drained of all the adrenaline that had kept him on his feet for the past several days, collapsed on the spot and proceeded to do just that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:09:28 PM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

September 20, 2008, 02:28:08 PM
Reply #16

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Why me? No, seriously. WHY ME?!?
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »
Ectheow sat outside the hall.

The sound of the winds, rolling across the plains rose and swelled, lifting up the scent of the night dew to the stars.
Was he home? At first, he had thought so. And then he had doubted. Now, he had no idea what 'home' was.

The others were sleeping. They could do that.
Well, most of them. The Elves' sleep was an odd thing, yet even they had some sort of... what was it, anyway? sleeping with their eyes open, walking in dreams.

The stars glittered down, a thousand jewels raining from the black sky.

The Star of Earendil the Mariner rose slowly in the darkness, a single brilliant point in the night. But for all that, the lands of the Mark were still enshrouded in the night mist, and the streets of Edoras still and dark.
Against the Shadow, there could be no victory.
Except to die in glorious battle.

So what then? To leave the rolling plains of Rohan to return to his exile in some Northern elf-kingdom and die in some tangled wood, cut down by Orkish scimitars? Why not?

A footstep echoed out across the silence. Ectheow remained where he sat. It would be the Heir of Gondor on one of his own nightly insomnia sessions. What sort of king would he be? Some scrabbling rogue, awakened from the shadows of the North, and come to claim his rightful place as King?

Ectheow watched as the Ranger walked to the edge of the Hall ascent, and stood, staring out toward Mordor.

Or, likely enough,
Ectheow thought, He'll end up just like that half-mad tactician so long ago who just rode off to Mordor alone and never came back. What was his name, anyway?

Ectheow grimaced. He was being cynical again.

He should go see to his horse.

As Ectheow turned to walk down to the stables, something outside the city gate caught his eye. A lone figure, standing amongst the barrows, wrapped in a dark and heavy fur, the wind blowing the coat back, recalling the glorious image of this figure riding out to battle.

Why did Theoden King walk amongst the dead?

There were many more barrows now than before.
Ectheow walked slowly down the path, coming to stand beside the King.

He could feel the night wind in his face, the sharp chill of the thin night mists sweeping across the plain.

"My King," began Ectheow, but Theoden held up a hand to stop him.

"I know what you would say, Minstrel," Theoden said. "That I should not walk among the dead."

Ectheow said nothing, a silent affirmation.

"But who else am I to walk amongst?" Theoden asked. "The proudest of warriors / now lie by the wall. / Lost in the night / as though they had never lived," the King recited softly.

Ectheow glanced down at the ground. The barrow was new, the grass only now beginning to grow over the earth.

"Theodred, my Lord?"

Theoden King nodded. "Yes. And so many others. The blood of the Elves now stains the same ground as the blood of the Mark. You go with my blessing, and yet you are reluctant."

Ectheow looked out over the field of graves. The Tombs of Kings, the Barrows of Heroes.
"My Lord, that is not my home...."

Theoden turned to face Ectheow.
"And this is? I know you better than you may think, young Minstrel. You're no more comfortable here than there. Your place is in stories, in lost glory, and in battle for a glorious, heroic death. As are all of ours. The days are gone when the Kings of Middle Earth flourished in glory; now there are no rulers, no kings, no givers of treasure as once there were. You sang of Durin, of Helm Hammerhand, and of Elendil the Tall and Gil-Galad. Those powers have vanished, those pleasures are dead. Fate is stronger than any man's mind or song. Our thoughts should turn to our home -- Honor and Death. Consider the ways of coming there."

Theoden turned and gripped Ectheow's arm in salute.

"And what better way to find our way to Honor and Death than to live in the eternal struggle against The Enemy? And then, we may die in glory, and rise to enter the Halls of our fathers, in whose mighty company we need not then be ashamed!"

Ectheow looked up, saw the first shadows of dawn on the horizon, the darkest hour.
Theoden King smiled.

"Ride, Minstrel," Theoden King said, grasping Ectheow's arm fast.
Ectheow gripped Theoden King's arm in response, smiled back, resolution building in his heart. "My lord, I ride North."
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

September 20, 2008, 09:35:28 PM
Reply #17

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 09:35:28 PM »
While many of the others had left the meeting to return to their chambers to sleep, or others to prepare for the journey ahead, Silvarin returned to the Great Hall. It was definitely time for another ale.

There were few warriors left in the Hall. Once their lord had retired, the rest had slowly trickled away. A small group still sat in a corner, singing long, low laments for the dead. Silvarin paused for a moment to listen. He'd heard many of the merry elf-songs in Rivendell, and poems from Lorien as well - but the songs the Rohirrim sang reminded him of the sad sonnets sung in the gloom of Mirkwood, under the shadow of Dol Guldur. He closed his eyes and swayed for a moment with the tune - mumbling words in elvish along with the music. Their song stopped suddenly, and Silvarin's eyes jumped open. Then he realized that the torches in the hall had been snuffed out, and all the warriors were looking at him. He'd released some of his magic without realizing it. As he stopped singing, though, the torches sprang back to life and the hall filled with light again. Slowly, the Rohirrim stood and left. Silvarin, feeling awkward, went and drew an ale.

He noticed two other people in the Hall, still - the wizard Mithrandir and the ranger Curubethion identified as Aragorn, the Dunedain. Silvarin knew a little of their people from what he'd heard from Curubethion and Durail, but that still wasn't much. They were a secretive folk.

As Silvarin walked toward them, the ranger turned and left - apparently his conversation with Mithrandir was at an end. Gandalf turned to address him.

"Mithrandir," said Silvarin, bowing his head.

"Silvarin Elstar. I've heard that you plan to return to Mirkwood now, do you?"

"Yes. There is a grim shadow over that realm. We must release it from the Dark Lord's grip, before it is too late. But, I fear, our number is too small to make a difference. I trust all these warriors with my life - but they are little compared to the hosts of Mordor. Even with Thranduil's men, we won't have enough."

"Don't give up hope," said Gandalf, looking for a moment towards where Aragorn had gone. "There is always hope."

"A fool's hope," replied Silvarin. Gandalf smiled. "I came here to ask you, Mithrandir, to teach me again. I know we leave by morning, but... I know I cannot save my people with the power I have now."

"It is true, your time is short, and your power is not yet enough," said Gandalf. "However... there may be a few things I can yet teach you."

Silvarin smiled, and drained his mug. "So, where to begin?"
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

December 20, 2008, 10:39:02 PM
Reply #18

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: Realms of Middle-earth: Now at Site 4 (The Wold)
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »
Ectheow and Silvarin were not the only two who were restless.

Ryle turned over yet again on his cot, and sighed. Nearby, Rorin was snoring so loudly that Ryle was amazed the others around him were able to sleep at all. Perhaps they were simply as exhausted as Duinihir, who had quite literally collapsed in exhaustion before fellow ranger Durail had rolled him onto a blanket for at least SOME protection from the cold tile floor. The Men of Rohan snoozed around him, seemingly unaware of the loud rumbling coming from Ryle's Dwarven companion.

But Rorin's thunderous breathing wasn't the only thing keeping the young Ortan awake. Ryle's mind refused to rest as the rest of him screamed to do.

"He's nothing to worry about, lad," Rorin had said, describing the Dark Lord himself. "He has not succeeded before, and he won't now."

Ryle could not help but wonder at that. Yes, Sauron had never been able to destroy His enemies. Not fully, anyway. But....

"I may not make it, or you might not, or NONE of us may live to see victory."

It was these words that chilled Ryle more than any others.

The fact that they had all survived the quest in the northern realms and destroyed the Iceblade was quite miraculous. The fact that Helm's Deep had stood the test and none of Ryle's friends had fallen there or at the Fords was perhaps even more astounding. But how long could they cheat death?

Ryle had always been lucky. Rorin's timely interference was the only reason he had survived his first encounter with the Orcs of Gundabad. Several times in the northern wastes it had only been Aeglirnen's arrival with a fresh kill that had enabled him to survive long treks in the endless woodlands, long after his own food had run out. His encounters with Wargs on the quest for the Iceblade had been won more by timely interference from others or happenstance than skill of his own. How long could that last?

His thoughts were interrupted by whispering in the darkness.

"What are you doing?" said the voice. "Pippin! Pippin?" It sounded like one of the Halflings that had been dancing merrily in the hall earlier.

Ryle now clearly heard feet shuffling, and the sound of some object being lifted from the floor.

"Pippin? What, are you mad?" the voice said with some alarm.

Ryle quietly lifted his head, more than mildly interested now, and saw it was indeed the two Hobbits making the commotion. One was kneeling in front of Gandalf, who had recently returned from the hall. What he had been doing up this late, Ryle wasn't sure he wanted or needed to know. The other Hobbit was sitting on his cot, pleading with the other about...something. Ryle squinted to see the one known as Pippin moving a vase up towards Gandalf's face. What in the...?

"I just want to look at it. Just one more time," Pippin said.

‘Look at what?' Ryle wondered, straining to see.

"Put it back!" the other Hobbit demanded.

The other ignored him, snagging some object from Gandalf's cot and seemingly substituting it with the vase. What happened next changed the course of the evening significantly.

The object—a sphere of some kind—began to glow, softly at first, but then bright enough to light up the room. Pippin's illuminated smile quickly changed to a frown, then a look of pain. A deep, menacing voice whispered: "I see you...."

"Pippin! Help!" the other Hobbit shouted. "Gandalf, help! Someone help him!"

Ryle sprang from his bed just as Gandalf did the same. In burst the Chieftain of the Dúnedain Ryle had seen earlier, along with the Elvish prince from Mirkwood. The ranger scooped up the object and Gandalf flung a cloak over it. "Fool of a Took!" he exclaimed, before noticing that Pippin was not moving. He bent down to attend to him as Ryle and others gathered around them.

"Look at me," Gandalf said.

"Gandalf, forgive me," Pippin said, shaking uncontrollably.

"Look at me," Gandalf demanded again. "What did you see?"

"A tree. There was a white tree. In a courtyard of stone." Pippin gasped. "It was dead. The city was burning."

"Minas Tirith?" Gandalf thought aloud, then turned his attention back. "Is that what you saw?"

"I saw...I saw...him!" Pippin exclaimed.

‘The Dark Lord,' Ryle thought with great trepidation. ‘He was...here?!'

"I can hear his voice in my head," Pippin continued.

"And what did you tell him?" Gandalf asked, his brow furrowed. "Speak!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool, but an honest fool he remains," Gandalf said. Dwan was now breaking, and the Istar had gathered a small group in the Golden Hall to discuss Pippin's run-in with Sauron. Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli stood together near King Théoden. Pippin and Merry sat nearby, and off to the other side Curubethion listened intently. Aragorn had made sure his old friend was present for this as a mediator to the group of nine that would soon depart for Mirkwood. Curubethion, in turn, had invited Dirthon and Silvarin, both of which Gandalf had approved of.

"He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring," Gandalf continued, drawing relieved sighs from many of the gathered. "We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the palantír a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing. He knows the Heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still, strength perhaps to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle-earth uniting under one banner. He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a king return to the throne of Men."

"And as you know," he said, turning his gaze briefly to Curubethion before sweeping his eyes back across the rest, "his reach is much longer than the lands of Man. He fears the Elves, and he fears the Dwarves, and he fears all other Free Peoples that might oppose him. Gondor and Rohan are not the only two nations that may unite to stand against him. He seeks to sow terror into all lands, and to spread our forces thin that we might not have the chance to rise together. With the king's blessing," he motioned to Théoden, "some of our friends will ride to Mirkwood, the woodlands of the north, which Sauron seeks to isolate from the rest of the war. He may succeed in that, but the realm of the Elves must not fall."

Curubethion nodded once. They understood.

"Even as they depart, things must be prepared here. If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war."

The king simply nodded, grimly.

Gandalf looked each of them in the eye as he finished. "Things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith. And I won't be going alone," he said, turning his gaze towards the Hobbits.

"Uh-oh," Dirthon said softly, chuckling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't understand," Ryle said, walking out into the crisp dawn air. "How could you sleep through that?"

"We Dwarves are known for more than our skill with our hands," Rorin replied with a wide smile. "Our sleeping habits are legendary." He winked and then turned serious. "So the poor little lad got burned or something?"

"Not exactly, but close enough," Ryle said, staring down at the bustling villagers and soldiers from the top of the Golden Hall's stairway. "It was frightening, Rorin. It was like the Dark Lord was right there in the room, looking around and surveying his enemies."

"Us," Rorin said. "He was looking at us."

Ryle shook his head clear of the memory and turned to humor for a brief escape. "I imagine your snoring may have made even him think twice about sending any forces to Edoras. You may have ensured Rohan's safety singlehandedly!"

Not missing a beat, Rorin jutted his chest out proudly. "I told you, lad. Legendary."

Suddenly, from the hall behind them, came Gandalf, followed closely by the two Hobbits.

"Of all the inquisitive Hobbits, Peregrin Took," Gandalf said in exasperation, "you are the worst! Hurry, hurry!"

"Pe-peregrin?" Rorin said, stumbling over the name. "You all right, laddie?"

The Hobbits both gave him a funny look. "Fine, just fine, thank you," they said before hurrying on. "Where are we going?" Pippin asked his companion as they hurried to catch the White Wizard.

"Strange little people, those Hobbits are," Rorin murmured.

"But hardy, believe you me," said Dirthon, sauntering out of the hall as well, Silvarin at his side. "Hobbits have more gumption than most in Middle-earth...yourself included, my friend."

"I...I have plenty of ‘gumption', Master Ranger," Rorin huffed. "I cannot believe you--!"

"Easy there, Rorin," Dirthon said with a laugh. "I meant no offense." He turned to watch the Hobbits as they ducked through the crowd and disappeared into the stables. "We certainly have a part to play yet in this war, but I think the Halflings' part may be just beginning."

Rorin gave him an odd glare. "You've been talking to Curubathien too much," he snorted.

"What was that, Rorin?" Curubethion said as he strode from the hall.

"By Durin's beard, how many of you were in there?" Rorin exclaimed, turning to look at the open doors. "Who's coming out next?"

"What news?" Ryle asked the trio that had counseled with Gandalf and Théoden.

"Nothing I did not already know," Curubethion said. "Théoden and his people ride to Gondor. We may make our way there eventually as well, should it still stand." Dirthon frowned a bit, casting a wary eye to the east.

"For now," Curubethion continued, "we ride north, as planned, to Mirkwood." He gazed at Silvarin. "I would advise that you find Tuilin and Legoles. The Rohirrim are busy preparing to depart. We should do the same." He turned his eye to the north, where Mirkwood could not be seen, but the faint storm clouds above Dol Guldur were just within view. "I fear we may have lingered too long already."

Gandalf had already departed, taking one of the Hobbits with him. Around the heroes, the Rohirrim they had spent the better part of the last few days with were busy sharpening their swords, checking their horses, or otherwise preparing either to ride to war or say goodbye to their loved ones that were doing so.

Ryle had never felt so out of place. But he was proud of what they were about to do as well.

Aeglirnen had finally found his way to Rohan, an astounding feat, but one that Ryle had expected. The eagle had followed him wherever he had roamed for years, and while Ryle had never ventured this far south, it was no surprise at all that his companion had chosen to do the same. How was a question probably better left unasked. He had fashioned a small attachment to his harness that allowed Aeglirnen to perch and ride along. The rest of his gear was packed and ready to go.

The others were pretty much ready to depart as well. As promised, Théoden had ensured those without horses had been provided them from the king's own stables; while most still had the steeds they had ridden to the Fords of Isen, not all had been fortunate enough to live through the battles there and at Helm's Deep.

The Elves, looking quite eager, had been the first to join Ryle, Tuilin and Legoles already mounted and looking longingly to the north.

The trio of rangers were similarly prepared, though only Duinihir was in the saddle, presumably to relieve his still aching limbs from standing around. His hawk and Aeglirnen had "met", meaning they had already squabbled over the nearest field mice as they passed the time by hunting.

Rorin, as usual, wanted no part of his horse, but nonetheless had his things in saddlebags, putting off actually mounting the beast until the last possible moment.

That left only Ectheow. No one had seen him since the night prior, though the king assured them he was still joining them for their quest. Curubethion was about to go seek him when he suddenly emerged from the stables on that accursed dark steed of his.

But Beow was the only thing around the adventurous minstrel that could be described as "dark". His worn armor had been polished to a bright sheen, as had his axe Wulfsvín, sharpened as it had not been for many years. His harp had been repaired, and even his wooden shield seemed to have had the dents and gouges from its many battles mended. As he approached his friends, head held high as it had not been since before his exile, he looked every bit the part of Rohirrim royalty riding to lead his people into battle.

"Well well well," Rorin said as the rest continued to gape. "Don't you shine up like a new gold coin?"

"Ahhhh," Ectheow said, somewhat sheepishly. "King Théoden insisted on it. Had his own armor-bearer shine everything up. I just wanted to get going, but...." He shrugged.

"Speaking of which," Silvarin said, somewhat impatiently. "Are we ready, then?"

The others nodded, taking a final look around at Edoras. Ectheow took an especially long time taking it all in. He noticed the king coming down from the Golden Hall to meet them, with Éomer and Grimbold by his side.

"Rohan is in your debt," Théoden said. "Ride forth with our blessing, and if all goes well, perhaps we shall meet again. Maybe even on the field of battle." He smiled, looking them each in the eye before settling on Ectheow. Having said his piece to his former minstrel already, he simply smiled, nodded, and clapped his hand to his chest, a gesture Éomer and Grimbold followed. Visibly moved at the honorable sign, Ectheow composed himself and did the same.

"Ride," Théoden said, talking to the entire group but not taking his eyes off Ectheow. "And may the blessing of all Men go with you."

As a group, the heroes turned their horses and rode towards the gate. Ectheow stole one final glance over his shoulder, catching a last look at his king, prouder and nobler than ever, as the massive doors closed behind them.

~~ Site 4 ~~

(W) The Wold (0)
Plains. River.
At the start of the regroup phase, the first Shadow player may exert X roaming minions to exert X unbound companions.

~~~~~~~~~~

The company passed through the Entwade fords over the River Entwash (which Silvarin had called "Onodlo"), leading to the rolling plains of the Eastemnet. Normally these lands were populated by nomadic farmers and herders, but the War's effects were apparent even here, as the company rode for many days without seeing another soul. The time allowed their wounds and sores to heal, especially Duinihir, who after a few days felt better than he had in weeks. It was not until March 12th, nearly a week since departing Edoras, that they came across other beings...and none of them were expected.

The company was now in the Wold, the rolling grasslands at Rohan's far northern borders, rapidly approaching the great Anduin River at its North Undeep, where the River Limlight met it from Lothlórien.

Ahead were Orcs.

Silvarin and Tuilin recognized them at once—they had certainly encountered plenty of their kind before—as Orcs from Sauron's old fortress of Dol Guldur. Their ragged armor and crude axes made that abundantly clear. But what were they doing in Rohan?

The even more unexpected forces battling them at least somewhat answered that question. Elves of Lothlórien and, of all creatures, Ents were heavily engaged in combat with the Orcs. Ectheow was reminded of one of his flashes earlier: Ents at Isengard, tearing down Saruman's dam. Could that have some sort of connection with this...? He could only wonder.

In any event, it appeared the servants of Dol Guldur were attempting an organized retreat, which the Elves and Ents were not exactly anxious to allow.

The heroes looked at each other, and though all greatly puzzled, no words were really necessary. With a simultaneous battle cry, they turned their steeds towards the battle. Answers to their questions would have to wait, for now.

~~ Challenge: Slay The Orcs! ~~

The following follower is played during the fellowship phase:

[1]Aeglirnen, Eagle of the North [Gandalf]
Follower
Strength +1
Resistance +1
To play, spot Ryle.
Aid – [2].
Each time you transfer Aeglirnen to a ranger at a forest, river, or mountain site, you may heal that ranger.
Skirmish: If bearer is a [Gandalf] companion, transfer Aeglirnen to your support area to exert a minion skirmishing him or her (or wound that minion if bearer is Ryle).
"‘Hello, old friend....'"

And the following minions and possessions are all played during the Shadow phase:

2x (1 bearing Dol Guldur Bow):

[3] Mirkwood Skulker (G)
Minion • Orc
Strength: 8
Vitality: 2
Site: 7
Tracker. Hunter 3.
"...fell beasts came hunting...."

2x (1 bearing Mirkwood Axe):

[4] Dol Guldur Assailant (G)
Minion • Orc
Strength: 10
Tracker. Fierce. Hunter 1.
To play, spot a (G) minion.
"‘The dark things which were driven out in the year of the Dragon's fall have returned in greater numbers....'"

3x (1 bearing Mirkwood Axe, 1 bearing Dol Guldur Bow):

[2] Dol Guldur Tracker (G)
Minion • Orc
Strength: 6
Site: 6
Tracker. To play, spot a (G) Orc.
While at a forest, mountain, or plains site, this minion is strength +3.
"‘...the spies of the Enemy are many.'"

3x (2 bearing Mirkwood Axe, 1 bearing Dol Guldur Bow):

[1] Dol Guldur Servant (G)
Minion • Orc
Strength: 4
For each other (G) Orc you can spot, this minion is strength +1.
"Far within he could hear the voices of Orcs clamoring...."

4x:

[1] Mirkwood Axe (G)
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a (G) Orc.
Skirmish: Exert bearer to make bearer damage +1.
Often used for keeping the woods around Amon Lanc under control, the axes of Dol Guldur were just as effective at hewing their enemies.

3x:

[1] Dol Guldur Bow (G)
Possession • Ranged Weapon
To play, spot a (G) Orc.
Bearer must be an Orc. Bearer gains hunter 1. You may exert bearer only once each turn.
Archery: Exert bearer to add 1 to the minion archery total.
Skirmish: Exert bearer to make bearer strength +1.

Not quite what you expected, I'll bet. That's okay...it's not what I originally planned, either. But this is based on an actual event during the War of the Ring. On March 11, 3019, Orcs from Dol Guldur invaded Lorien, and were driven out by the Elves into the Wold in northern Rohan. Treebeard heard about it and led several Ents to help, and the combined forces drove the Orcs into the Anduin during the 12th, pretty much wiping them out. This was rather important, as it turns out, because the Orcs' backup plan (which they were trying to execute after the failed invasion of the Golden Wood) was to disrupt Theoden's forces and delay their trek to Gondor. Had they been successful in that, and the Rohirrim not arrived at Minas Tirith when they did...well, I think we all know how THAT would have turned out.

Anyway, since our party was traveling through that same area at about that same time anyway, I figured it made for a fun little detour, giving us a chance to meet yet MORE heroes of the war (Treebeard and a few of the Lorien Elves like Orophin and Rumil and probably Celeborn and Galadriel). Don't worry...Mirkwood is still shortly after this, and we'll be there in time to chip in on the action there. :up:

I still need to create a DC for Rorin, though I'll probably not bother for Curubethion and I'll give AP the opportunity to make one for Dirthon, if he wants. If not, I'll do one for him as well.

I will ALSO allow the creation of one more DC at this site. I would presume you want an event, but it's up to you. Just remember that we're starting with the maneuver phase, so anything that plays only during the fellowship phase (most possessions, conditions, etc.) is out. Oh, and keep it at [2] or less. Nothing crazy here, guys. ;)

Just have fun with a relatively simple Orc battle before the REAL fun begins. :twisted:

If all goes well, we can get moving again before Christmas. :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:44:35 PM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

December 21, 2008, 08:50:47 AM
Reply #19

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 08:50:47 AM »
Silvarin's heart leapt at the sight of the elves - news from Lorien would be greatly appreciated. He hadn't fought beside Lorien elves since Helm's Deep. But his heart burned in equal measure seeing the Orcs of Dul Guldur streaming across the fields of Rohan. He vowed to not let a single one escape alive.

Though the Orcs were retreating, they were till well-organized. They were fighting as they fled and saw the coming of Curubethion's group. A small band of orcs detached to meet the riders as they came. A few of them drew bows, and many others brandished axes.

As they rode, Silvarin raised his hand and yet again called up his magic. Here, with his fervor pumping through his veins, the magic came as a flood so great he felt he could barely contain its power. He raised his hand toward one of the bow-wielding Orcs and shouted, "Gleina ned glîn!" His eyes suddenly glowed with a bright white light, and streams of light flowed from his hand and bound the archer.

He leapt off his horse as it ran and drew his twin swords. Bearing down upon another archer, he called the magic to his limbs as his sword smashed its bow to pieces. His second strike felled the beast.

_____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ _____

Alright, here's my DC:

[2] Olorin's Light [Elven]
Event • Maneuver
Spell.
Exert an Elf and add a threat to exert a minion. That minion loses its gametext until the regroup phase.
"Gleina ned glîn!"

During maneuver, Silvarin exerts (and heals himself) to exert a Dol Guldur Tracker that bears Dol Guldur Bow. It loses its gametext and thusly its strength bonus.

Then, he skirmishes a Mirkwood Skulker, bearing a bow. It may have exerted itself during archery already - I'll leave that for Dain to decide. Either way, Silvarin plays Olorin's Teachings (which I returned to hand with Wit and Words a while ago, I believe) to prevent the minion using the skirmish ability of the bow. If the minion hadn't exerted during archery, Lindrodrel will discard 2 to exert it.

Since our hunter cancels each other, that leaves strength at:
Silvarin: 11 (with Olorin's Teachings) / 5 / 7
Minion: 8 / 1 (From exertion)

Minion wounds and dies.

Oh, yeah, and though my Elvish is probably pretty bad, "Gleina ned glîn" sort of means "Bind in the light of my eyes." Tolkien seemed to have a few obscure elvish words to describe the light in someone's eyes. It's pretty cool, actually.

*** Comment By Dáin ***
We'll assume, as a smart Shadow player trying to lay as many wounds as possible, that the Mirkwood Skulker killed here first used its archery ability, making the minion archery total +1 and exerting itself before Silvarin gets to it. So need to use Lindrodel; this guy dies without it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:20:54 AM by DáinIronfoot »
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

December 21, 2008, 03:28:49 PM
Reply #20

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »
Dunihir saw the Orcs moving away and quickly signaled Gwavyr with a whistle. With a smooth motion, Duinihir used hand gestures to guide the hawk onto a nearby Orc.

The Orc gave a scream and fell behind the pack. In an instant, Duinihir had caught up with the Orc and finished him.

Releasing an arrow into the running crowd of Orcs, Duinihir was quickly upon them. He lept from the back of his horse and landed to face a pair of orcs. Narhim swung from its scabbard and gashed both of the orcs on the draw. Duinihir quickly finished off one Orc, while the hawk dove after the other. Both were finished quickly.

Duinihir turned and saw his comrades also engaging the Orcs. He raised a shout of exultation and lept back onto his horse, ready to take on any that slipped through the hands of his fellow soldiers.

Transfer Gwavyr to Duinihir at start a manuever phase to wound Mirkwood Skulker

Use Tehtyrch to assign Duinihir to skirmish Mirkwood Skulker. Transfer Gwavyr to support area.

Duinihir wins skirmish and Mirkwood Skulker is dead.

Dol Guldur Servant eats the arrow wound.

Exert Duinihir, add a threat and use Narhim to assign Dol Guldur Assailant with Mirkwood Axe to skirmish Duinihir as well as Dol Guldur Tracker. Gwavyr is transfered to Duinihir and kills Dol Guldur Assailant. Dol Guldur Tracker loses 10-9, takes a wound and dies.

Plays...

[1] Exulting Shout [Gondor]
Event • Response
If a minion is killed, spot a ranger to heal a companion and remove a threat.

Heals Duinihir and removes the threat.

*** Comment By Dáin ***
Unless I missed something obvious, Dol Guldur Tracker would live here, since Duinihir has no damage bonuses and the Tracker was not wounded before the skirmish. Therefore, I would assume that instead of Dol Guldur Servant eating archery, the Tracker that Duinihir skirmishes did instead. The Servant remains unwounded, but the Tracker is indeed killed.

Narhim exerts both minions, meaning that the orc is already wounded. :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:55:24 PM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

December 21, 2008, 05:33:53 PM
Reply #21

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 05:33:53 PM »
first of all,  I'm assigning an archery to the assailant, than exerting tuilin to kill it.
((ooo I got to be careful, he's down to 2 vitality...my event can help that)

than I assign the servant with the bow.  He definitly exert in the archery phase, we will have to figure out how to assign that archery... just for fun I play swift and sure.  Tuilin 9, skirmishing 3 strength exhausted orc.  orc is overwhelmed and killed.

Tuilin saw several orcs fall from Duinhir's and Silvarin's attacks My turn he thought.   His bow was already in his left hand, he drew an arrow and chose his target.  TWANG. his aim was good, the orc took it between the shoulder blades, stumbled, and kept running. "dah." he drew another arrow, aimed, now only 10 yards away, and fired.  It went straight through the orcs helmet ,skull, brain and forehead.  This time it dropped.

He brought his horse around a few orcs, parrying several idle strokes.  There was a meaning to his madness, he had succeeded in isolating a smaller orc, who was now running in a different direction that his fellow troops.  Tuilin caught up and swung down on the orcs head, the orc survived, by the sheer luck of tripping on his bow, breaking it in the process, Tuilin reined his horse in, and leapt off, gleaming sword in hand.  The orc was up, weilding a dirk and small axe.  Tuilin came at him...you almost had to pity the orc.  Tuilin had superior training, weapons, reach, power, agility...in 3 seconds the orcs was minus both hand, and a leg, Tuilin drove the sword into its chest, and just to be sure, spun away, withdrawing the sword and took of its head.

_____________________________ __

now the Dc

[1] Skill of Arms [Elven]
Event • Skirmish
Make an elf strength +3.  If they win this skirmish, you may heal them.
  The superiority of elven training and weapons was evident in the battles of the War of the ring

yeah, I know, crud lore.  suggestions? so as it stands now, 3 of us have gone,
2 skulkers dead, one bearing a bow
two dol guldur servant dead
1 assailant dead.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

December 22, 2008, 12:53:48 PM
Reply #22

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 12:53:48 PM »
Ryle and Rorin rode together, charging straight into the mass of Orcs. They spied a pair fleeing from the Ents, and with a quick glance at each other, gave chase.

Suddenly, out of the larger pack of Orcs nearby, a stray arrow came flying, striking Ryle in the arm. The Ortan gave a cry of pain, wrenching the arrow out.

"You all right, lad?" Rorin shouted with concern. "No problem!" Ryle replied with a reassuring smile. "Didn't go very deep. Keep riding!"

"I'll get a little revenge for you," Rorin said with a devilish grin. He drew his hand axe, waited for the right moment, and threw it at one of their foes, the blade sinking into the larger Orc's back, but barely slowing it down.

"So much for that idea!" Rorin shouted, gloomily.

"Never fear!" Ryle replied. He whistled for Aeglirnen, who swooped down from the sky above after the Orcs. "He should be able to slow them down, at least!" Ryle assured his Dwarven friend.

But at that moment a nearby Ent swung his long limb right in front of them, swiping another shrieking Orc right off its feet. The pair of heroes were unfortunate collateral damage. Ryle just managed to duck under the blow, but Aeglirnen was forced to veer off to avoid being swatted out of the air, and Rorin avoided the brunt of the blow but was still knocked off his horse. 'This has happened far too many times lately,' the Dwarf thought as he crashed to the earth.

Ryle, while concerned for his friend, had other matters to worry about at the moment. Recovering from the near miss, he stole one quick glance at Rorin, noted that the hardy warrior was already bouncing to his feet, and then looked back ahead. The two Orcs seemed to sense him coming and darted in opposite directions. Of the two, Ryle chose the large warrior. Though the Orc had Rorin's small axe in his side, he still seemed the bigger threat, brandishing an axe of its own and still moving more quickly than its smaller companion. Ryle drew his sword and charged.

Rorin, meanwhile, was already back on his feet and was immediately faced with the other Orc, the frightened servant so panicked that he nearly ran into Rorin as he fled the oncoming Ents and Elves. Rorin gave a shout and raised his axe, but the Orc noticed him just in time and fled. "Oh no you don't!" the Dwarf cried, giving chase.

On the outskirts of the battle already, the Orc led Rorin, huffing and puffing, near the Anduin River and, perhaps realizing the natural barrier ahead, turned to finally fight, raising its own axe in a last-ditch attempt to escape its pursuer and swinging with all its might.

Rorin ducked the blow, dropping to one knee before bringing his battle axe upwards and knocking the Orc back, a blow with the blunt edge meant merely to stun while Rorin got his footing. "Gabilân salôn aya rakhâs!" Rorin shouted. The Orc stumbled towards the river, and just made it as Rorin's weapon found its mark again, this time with the sharp edge of the blade. The Orc cried one final time and dropped into the flowing waters, its lifeless body drifting slowly downstream.

Nearby, Ryle noticed his friend's victory as he engaged in battle of his own, finally catching up to his prey. The Orc finally seemed to be wearing down, perhaps due to the damage already done by Rorin, but still roared defiantly as it ducked under Ryle's initial swing. But Ryle wasn't through yet. Noting the tall grass near the river's edge that the Orc had now run into, he swung his steed around and raised his sword once more. The Orc's legs became tangled in the grass just enough that by the time it was able to turn to face Ryle again, he saw only Ryle's blade as it took his head clean off.

"Well done, lad!" Rorin shouted, jogging over and wiping sweat from his brow. "Too bad I didn't get to finish him off myself, but you doing it is almost as good." He reached down and retrieved his smaller axe. "Ah...um...where has that blasted animal gone NOW?" he complained, looking around the battlefield for his horse.

"We'll find it later. Climb on, you oaf," Ryle said, offering the Dwarf a hand. Rorin took it and was hauled up to sit behind his friend.

"Oof. No more ale for you for a while," Ryle said with a grin. "My poor arm and my poor horse can barely handle you."

Rorin whacked the back of Ryle's head, lightly but hard enough to make for a fine, no-words-necessary retort. "Just be quiet and ride," he mumbled, crossing his arms. "And be quick about it, or we'll miss even the leftovers."

Aeglirnen again found them and followed, screeching, as the pair rode back towards what was left of the battle.

- Aeglirnen is transferred to Ryle during the maneuver phase (strength +1, resistance +1).

- Rorin discards Throwing Axe during archery phase to make Shadow player wound a minion (Dol Guldur Tracker (with Axe)).

- Ryle absorbs 1 minion archery (of the 2 total).

- Rorin (12/4/8 damage +2) skirmishes Dol Guldur Servant (9/2).
- Rorin wins; Dol Guldur Servant (9/0) is killed.
- Rorin plays Gabilân Salôn aya Rakhâs to remove Dol Guldur Servant and Mirkwood Axe from the game.
- Rorin uses condition Unlikely Friendship to make Ryle strength +2 until the regroup phase.

- Ryle (7+1+2/6-1/11+1) skirmishes Dol Guldur Tracker (11/1)
- Ryle plays Living Off the Land; now 12/5/12.
- Ryle wins; Dol Guldur Tracker (11/0) is killed.

- Next fellowship phase (assumed), Rorin exerts to get Throwing Axe back from discard pile (using the axe's fellowship ability).

As for the DCs I referenced:

[1] Gabilân Salôn aya Rakhâs [Dwarven]
Event • Response
If a Dwarf wins a skirmish at a battleground or river site, remove each minion in that skirmish (and each card borne by those minions) from the game.
"He drove them into the river...."

[2] Living Off the Land [Gandalf]
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Gandalf] Man strength +2. If the fellowship is at a forest, plains, or river site, you may place this event on top of your draw deck.
From his time in Esgaroth and Dale, and wandering the northern wastes of Eriador, Ryle had learned to thrive using the terrain to his advantage and living off what the lands around him offered.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:01:54 PM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

December 22, 2008, 12:57:38 PM
Reply #23

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »
Just to make sure we're all up to speed....

Party Status (including modifiers; excluding abilities and keywords):
Curubethion: 9/4/9 – healthy
Dirthon (AP): 8/3/6 – healthy
Duinihir (NB): 9/3/7 – healthy
Ectheow (Drake): 10/3/7 – healthy
Legoles: 9/3/8 – healthy
Rorin (Dáin): 9/3/7 – wounded
Ryle (Dáin/mm): 9/6/11 – healthy (will be strength 7 in regroup phase)
Silvarin (EL): 8/5/7 – healthy
Tuilin (SoP): 9/3/7 – healthy

1 threat, 0 burdens.

Enemy Forces
Mirkwood Skulker (with Bow): 8/0 – killed by Silvarin
Mirkwood Skulker: 8/0 - killed by Duinihir
Dol Guldur Assailant (with Axe): 12/0 - killed by Duinihir
Dol Guldur Assailant: 10/0 - killed by Tuilin
Dol Guldur Tracker (with Bow): 9/0 - exhausted by Silvarin, killed by Duinihir
Dol Guldur Servant (with Bow): 7/0 - killed by Tuilin
Dol Guldur Tracker (with Axe): 11/0 - killed by Ryle
Dol Guldur Servant (with Axe): 9/0 - killed by Rorin

Dol Guldur Tracker: 9/2 - healthy
Dol Guldur Servant (with Axe): 7/2 - healthy

Minion archery total is +2.

One minion each left for Ectheow and Dirthon. Don't think we need to do anything direct with Curubethion or Legoles unless Drake and/or AP doesn't get to the leftovers in the near future.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:00:11 PM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

December 23, 2008, 03:38:59 PM
Reply #24

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 03:38:59 PM »
Ectheow gripped Wulfsvín, and turned Beow to face two oncoming orcs. Dodging the reaching limbs of trees and Onodrim, the black creature thundered forward.

An impact pushed Ectheow to one side, an arrow embedded in the arm of his newly shined armor, just beneath his shoulder. No matter. There was no burn of Orkish poison seeping through his arm. Merely a flesh wound.

Whirling his axe, Ectheow jerked the arrow out of his arm, twisting to avoid the barb of the arrowhead. A quick spasm of pain ran though his arm, ignored. Ectheow swung his axe downward, embedding it in orkish armor, Beow trampling the creature of the Dark Lord underfoot.

Flash.
Another orc swung at him from the left.

Black ooze and blood sprayed out as Ectheow pulled the axe away, and brought it around.

A second orc had swung at him from the left. He had parried the blow unconsciously with his shield, and now knocked the orc's weapon aside with his shield, and buried Wulfsvín in the orc's head.

The golden sundisc on his shield was encompassed and filled by the filth of orcs and battle, leaving a single golden ring clear.

Flash.
The Wheel of Fire was probing all Middle-Earth.
The Enemy was searching.
He could feel its gaze rest on him for a second, seized on him, looked at him, and through him, then turn away, uninterested. It had been searching to the north. Now, it was turning, seeking out the paths leading south, to Gondor, and east, to Mirkwood.
The Enemy sought something.
The sundisc of his shield blazed brilliantly, a band of pure gold wheeling about.

A weapon, Eomer had said. The Dark Lord still searched for the Iceblade? Surely he knew that its power had been broken.

Ectheow pitched Beow about, turning to face the skirmish. The remaining orcs were dead, or dying, most crushed by the wrath of the forest.

=======================

Okay, my DC.

[2] Heavy Hooves [Rohan]
Event – Skirmish
Make a mounted companion strength +2 for each wound on each minion that companion is skirmishing.

Maneuver:
Add 2 threats to transfer Hygleac's Vision. Ectheow is +1 strength.
Ectheow exerts with his shield to become Defender +1 (and will skirmish both remaining orcs.)
Archery:
Ectheow takes an archery wound.
Skirmish:
Both orcs exert from Beow.
Play Heavy Hooves, Ectheow is +4.
Ectheow 15 to (6+8=) 14
Ectheow wins, kills both orcs.

1 minion archery remaining.
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

December 24, 2008, 12:04:57 PM
Reply #25

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 12:04:57 PM »
With that (and going under the assumption that, as discussed, Ectheow takes his axe back into hand to heal and Ectheow and Ryle absorb the 2 archery), here's what we're left with:

Ectheow (Drake): 10/3/7 – wounded (archery)
Rorin (Dáin): 9/3/7 – wounded (exertion)
Ryle (Dáin/mm): 7/5/11 – wounded (archery)

3 threats, 0 burdens.

Enemy Forces:
Mirkwood Skulker (with Bow): 8/0 – killed by Silvarin
Mirkwood Skulker: 8/0 - killed by Duinihir
Dol Guldur Assailant (with Axe): 12/0 - killed by Duinihir
Dol Guldur Assailant: 10/0 - killed by Tuilin
Dol Guldur Tracker (with Bow): 9/0 - exhausted by Silvarin, killed by Duinihir
Dol Guldur Servant (with Bow): 7/0 - killed by Tuilin
Dol Guldur Tracker (with Axe): 11/0 - killed by Ryle
Dol Guldur Servant (with Axe): 9/0 - killed by Rorin
Dol Guldur Tracker: 9/0 - killed by Ectheow
Dol Guldur Servant (with Axe): 7/0 - killed by Ectheow

Minion archery total is now 0.

I'll give a couple days to see if AP still wants to post anything (including his DC), and if not, then we'll just move on. I'm anxious to get to Mirkwood, so we'll likely just spend a little time catching up with the Elves and Ents here before riding on. We only have 3 days to reach Thranduil before the impending invasion, after all (not that the characters know that yet :book:).

I also recieved a PM recently that will create yet another unexpected twist in the story, and soon. For now, you'll just have to wait to see what that is.... ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:11:52 PM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

January 12, 2009, 05:22:25 AM
Reply #26

Anonymous Prodigy

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Former Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 05:22:25 AM »
Dirthon carefully wiped the blade of his sword, removing the layers of blood and grime from the metal. "You served me well today, friend." Dirthon finished cleaning his weapon and then replaced it in his sheath. "I fear it will not be long before you may be needed again."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[2] Warrior of the White City [Gondor]
Event • Regroup
Spot 2 [Gondor] Men to heal a companion bearing a possession.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:26:14 AM by Anonymous Prodigy »

January 12, 2009, 02:12:49 PM
Reply #27

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: Realms of Middle-earth: Regroup Phase at Site 4 (The Wold)
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 02:12:49 PM »
All sense of organization was lost as the Orcs ran wildly across the battlefield, with Elves, Ents, Men and others slaying them seemingly wherever they turned. Some shouted curses, some stood their ground, some simply ran as fast as they could, but none escaped. The few that managed to avoid death by steel and arrow soon found it by water as they were herded straight into the deeper parts of the nearby Anduin by the Ents, the heavy currents and close watch of the Ents preventing any that entered from reemerging.

As the rest of his kind lined the riverbanks to watch for any waterlogged stragglers, one of the Ents, apparently their leader, strode back towards the Lothlórien Elves. He did not seem to be in any hurry, and was humming happily to himself as he moved. He had nearly passed right by Curubethion and the rest, seeming to not even notice them, before the ranger spoke up. "Hail, Fangorn!" he called.

"Hrum, Hoom," said the Ent, surprised as he halted his long steps. "Hoo, now!" He leaned down a bit, closely surveying Curubethion. "A ranger, are you? Come now, who might you be?"

"My name is Curubethion, a ranger of the north. These are my companions from the lands of Middle-earth. We are—"

"Hoom, hmm" the Ent interrupted. "Not so hasty, Master Ranger. Let me see, let me see." He looked the others over, studying each of them for several long moments. "Elves and Men, good, good," he said. "And a Dwarf!"

"He means no harm to any but the enemies of Sauron...and Saruman," Silvarin said, stepping forward and speaking for Rorin. For his part, the Dwarf did all he could to hide his battle axe behind his back.

"Well, now!" the Ent said, rising back to his full height. "That is now two Dwarves to be defended by Elves. None in an age, and now two in only days! Hmm, hmm. Very well, Master Ranger. Continue, but not so hastily, if you please!"

Curubethion formally introduced the others, making a special point to highlight Rorin's hatred of Orcs and Uruks.

"A strange company, indeed!" the Ent exclaimed. "I am called Fangorn, one of only three of our kind that remains from before the Darkness. Hoom, hoom. But you may call me Treebeard, if you prefer."

Curubethion had heard of Treebeard before and, though they had not met, had recognized the Eldest of the Ents immediately. His bushy "beard" of twigs and moss was rather unique among the Onodrim. But in the interest of time, he decided to forgo describing what he had heard of the notoriously long-winded Ent for now and instead focused on their quest. It was obvious Treebeard wanted to hear the tale, now that they had his full attention.

"We are on our way to Mirkwood," he explained to the Ent. "Orcs and other foul things are reported to be gathering in the wood. Some of my friends—" he swept his arm back at the Elves "—are from that forest. I apologize for being somewhat...hasty, but we must continue on our way soon."

"Hmm, now! Orcs, you say? Well, well. Hoom, now!" Treebeard rubbed his beard thoughtfully. "Well, Master Curubethion, I was going to a moot with Master Celeborn of woods of Laurelindórenan. He also seems to be in quite the hurry. Perhaps if you wished to gather with us as well...."

"Very much, yes," Curubethion replied. "My friends are welcome as well?"

"Hmm, bara-hum!" Treebeard said, rubbing his beard again. "Well, now, I see no reason to leave them out, even the axe-bearing delver!" He said the last part with almost a laugh: "Hmm, hmm!"

Rorin mumbled under his breath, but was otherwise silent. Ryle could barely stifle his laughter.

"Excellent!' Curubethion said. "We will follow your lead then, good Fangorn."

"Well, well," Treebeard said merrily. "This way, young masters."

Those that were not already mounted did so, and followed the Ent towards the Elves.

Their losses had apparently been rather light. As they approached, they saw only a small handful of fallen Elves warriors, each of which Silvarin, Tuilin, and Legoles gave a mournful "namárië" or respectful head bow to as they passed. Most of the Lothlórien warriors gave the mixed party a curious look but said nothing as they moved along, finally arriving in the middle of the battlefield where several important-looking Elves waited.

One of them was obviously Celeborn, arrayed in unique and ornate armor and standing so tall and regal that even those who had little idea who he was knew at once that they were looking at the Lord of the Galadhrim. Two others, though they did yet know it, were Orophin and Rúmil, the Silvan brothers of Helm's Deep hero Haldir. They all turned their attention to Treebeard and the newcomers as they arrived and dismounted.

"Welcome, friends from afar," Celeborn said. "I am Celeborn of Lothlórien, and we are in your debt. As we are in yours, Eldest," he said to Treebeard with a nod. "These Orcs dared to enter our realm, but they did not make it far. And now, thanks in part to your aid, they, at least, will not return." He turned to Curubethion. "You are known to us, Curubethion. Your deeds have not gone unheard of in our realm."

Curubethion bowed low. "Saesa omentien lle, Celeborn. Gelir na thaed."

"Le hannon a tholel," Celeborn replied with a nod.

"Legoles Thranduilion, Silvarin Elstar, and Nikerym Tuilin, you are known to us as well," Celeborn said, greeting them all. "Mae govannen."

"Heru en amin", Silvarin replied for the group.

Curubethion quickly introduced the others. Rorin's reception was met with only slightly less hostility than the Dwarf initial introduction to Treebeard, but with a little prodding in the ribs by Ryle, he managed to swallow his pride (and his tongue) and remain respectfully silent.

"Not unlike another company that recently passed through our realm," Celeborn noted with a near-smile before turning to more serious matters. He detailed the orkish incursion into the Golden Wood, an attack which he claimed the Lady of the land had long foreseen, albeit murkily enough that the time had been uncertain. He also said they, like the Elves of Mirkwood, feared there was more to come, and he would be departing back to Lórien as soon as the dead and wounded were gathered. No Elven warrior would be buried here, far from their home.

Curubethion, with some aid from his Elven companions, detailed the urgency of their ride to Mirkwood, and how they had heard the same rumblings of threats rising against the two woodland realms.

"A chance meeting, then?" Celeborn said. "Very fortuitous. Well, Curubethion, I wish you well on your quest. These are perilous times, and Mirkwood is especially fraught with dangers in these days. Beware the fortress of Amon Lanc!" He pointed to the darkened skies above southern Mirkwood, which the heroes had been watching grow larger in their viewpoint all the way from Edoras.

"My apologies for such a short counsel, but I must attend to other affairs. We may speak again before we depart."

And with that, he gave them a final "namárië" and stepped aside with Treebeard and the Silvan brothers for their planned "moot".

Okay, you know the drill by now. Take a little time to mill about with the various heroes (no, Galadriel is not present...she's still back in Lothlorien at this particular point in the story), and create one more DC of your choosing...our last before we finally enter Mirkwood at Site 5. The card can be anything you want; you may want to take advantage of the fact that we'll get a fellowship phase and go for something like a condition or possession, but if you want to go for another event, that's fine by me. Phase-wise, you can consider us to currently be in the regroup phase right now, and yes, we WILL have a full fellowship phase next before we arrive in Mirkwood.

You can go with any reasonable cost you want this time, though [2] (MAYBE [3] at the most) or less is generally a good rule of thumb.

Speaking of which, here's a new event which is technically for Curubethion:

[2]A Strange Company [Gandalf]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Treebeard or Gandalf.
When you play this condition, add a token here of each Free Peoples culture you can spot.
At the start of each fellowship and regroup phase, you may remove a Free Peoples token from here to heal an unbound companion of a different culture than that token.
Skirmish: Remove X Free Peoples tokens from here (where X is the current region number) to make an unbound companion strength +1 for each race you can spot in the fellowship.
"‘Elves and Men, good, good. And a Dwarf!'"

Perhaps a little complex, so let me explain. The first part adds a token of each culture we can spot; in other words, when this is played, we add a [Gandalf] token, [Elven] token, [Gondor] token, [Dwarven] token, AND a [Rohan] token to it, since those are the five FP cultures we can spot. So reinforcing could play a big role here, since each of those single culture tokens could be reinforced and used by the card.

Currently, the skirmish ability would provide a +4 boost (spotting Man, Elf, Dwarf, and Ent), but we'll be losing Treebeard when we move (sadly :'(), so it will then provide "only" +3. I'd say that's still pretty nice, wouldn't you?

Anyway, since this technically won't be around until the next fellowship phase, we won't be able to use the healing until the NEXT regroup phase, but the skirmish ability might come in handy (and the healing will likely be quite important as well :twisted:).

So, happy posting. If you can, try and have your sections up by the end of the week so I have time to launch us to Site 5 before starting my new job on the 20th (and likely disappearing from daytime posting...I'll have to become a night owl instead :P).

Ectheow (Drake): 10/3/7 – wounded (archery)
Rorin (Dáin): 9/4/7 – healthy
Ryle (Dáin/mm): 7/5/11 – wounded (archery)

3 threats, 0 burdens.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:17:07 PM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

January 14, 2009, 07:19:45 PM
Reply #28

Anonymous Prodigy

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Former Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 07:19:45 PM »
Dirthon surveyed the strange gathering before him. Dwarves and Elves he was familiar with, but these Ents were something new. He had heard of them in legend, but that was the extent of his knowledge. His father had not even believed in them, passing them off as "a wives' tale of the Rohirrim."

Dirthon was especially amazed by Treebeard, the largest and most impressive Ent of all. At the moment he was talking (albeit slowly) to Curubethion. Dirthon moved closer to overhear their conversation.

"…the trees there are evil, Master Ranger. Their hearts are black, blacker than the hearts of the worst trees of Fangorn."

"I know this, Treebeard, but our road can take no other course." Treebeard rumbled a sigh. Suddenly a yell sounded from where the rest of the company was gathered.

"Oi! Enough Elvish chit-chat! Let's get a move on to Mirkwood!" Rorin shouted.

"Impatient Dwarf," muttered Dirthon….

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(0) Legends of Gondor [Gondor]
Event • Fellowship
Tale. Spot 3 [Gondor] Men to reinforce a [Gondor] token (and remove [1] if you can spot another tale).

January 15, 2009, 09:58:12 PM
Reply #29

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »
Sorry... all I was able to get together was a DC. If  this is played before AP's card, well.... :up:

[2] Songs of the Mark [Rohan]
Condition - Support Area
Tale.
When you play this, you may add a [Rohan] token here.
Each time a Free Peoples tale is played, you may reinforce a [Rohan] token here.
Maneuver: Remove two tokens here or discard this condition to take a [Rohan] card into hand from your discard pile.
"It is always the same; in the distant past long forgotten, in remembered tales... and in these days."

I think we can assume that, sure. :up: So that makes for 2 tokens here. - Dáin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:48:14 AM by DáinIronfoot »