LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Paths of the Dead - Mustn't Hurt Preciouss  (Read 25893 times)

September 04, 2008, 12:57:30 PM
Read 25893 times

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
The Paths of the Dead - Mustn't Hurt Preciouss
« on: September 04, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »
Hi one and all,
Sorry for such a long delay in posting new cards. I've started a new job which is taking an awful lot of time. Anyway, here are some Dwarven cards to whet your appetite.

You might remember the following cards from the Elven culture:

[2] •Legolas, Grey Archer [Elven]
Companion • Elf
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 7
Archer. Return - add a threat.
Desperation - at the start of the archery phase you may wound a minion.

[1]Bow of the Galadhrim, Drawn in Anger [Elven]
Possession • Ranged Weapon
Strength: +1
Legendary - 1
Bearer must be Legolas.
Each time you play an [Elven] skirmish event in a skirmish involving Legolas, you may scour 4 to exert a minion.

Well, here are the Dwarf versions:

[2] •Gimli, Of the Grey Company [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Return - [3]
Desperation - Gimli is strength +4 and damage +1.
" ‘An Elf will go underground and a Dwarf dare not!' "

[2] •Axe of Erebor, Wielded in Rage [Dwarven]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength: +2
Legendary - [1]
Bearer must be Gimli. He is damage +1.
Each time you play a [Dwarven] skirmish event in a skirmish involving Gimli, you may scour a card to make a companion damage +1 until the regroup phase.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:21:22 PM by Anvar »
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

September 04, 2008, 02:28:17 PM
Reply #1

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Gimli, Of the Grey Company
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »
First off, you've got a few little errors, like doing "Dwarf" instead of "Dwarven" inside the brackets, and capitalizing "strength" when it's not necessary and not bolding damage. (I'll correct stuff I see as I quote.) That all being said, let's get to the nitty-gritty of the actual cards here....

Quote from: Anvar
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Return - add a threat.

Seems awfully good, but there ARE versions of Gimli that can get about that powerful without too much trouble, so it's probably fine. Might be better at 6 resistance even though I love 7 resistance Gimlis.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Legendary - [1]
Each time you play a [Dwarven] skirmish event, you may scour a card to make a companion damage +1.

Nifty, but perhaps limit those events to ones played during Gimli's skirmish. Otherwise that ability becomes just beastly in Dwarf-heavy decks. Dwarves are excellent at card drawing already, so allowing them to scour so easily for a nice benefit AND draw cards seems a bit much.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

September 04, 2008, 04:27:26 PM
Reply #2

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Return - add a threat.
Perhaps Gimli's return should be adding twilight just because if you're having to return your companions, you might not be able to add many threats and Dwarves are better at recursion anyway.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Legendary - [1]
Each time you play a [Dwarven] skirmish event in a skirmish involving Gimli, you may scour a card to make a companion damage +1 until the regroup phase.
Yeah, it's solid.

Thranduil

September 05, 2008, 02:56:54 AM
Reply #3

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:56:54 AM »
Both look after the others comments, but the axe seems very good.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

September 05, 2008, 07:28:59 AM
Reply #4

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:28:59 AM »
Can you explain the keywords for me? I'm intrigued by their name, they seem to be fun!

September 05, 2008, 08:22:42 AM
Reply #5

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:22:42 AM »
Quote from: Felipe Musco
Can you explain the keywords for me? I'm intrigued by their name, they seem to be fun!

As I understand it....

Legendary represents an additional cost the opponent must pay to discard. So in this case, the Shadow player would have to remove [1] if they were to somehow discard Axe of Erebor, Wielded In Rage.

Return is a cost that can be paid to pull a card back from the discard pile. So if Gimli, Of the Grey Company were in the discard pile (and another copy was not in play, of course), a threat could be added to play him as if from hand.

Desperation text triggers automatically when your draw deck is exhausted. Anvar has many cards that scour (aka discard cards from the top of your draw deck) to help you intentionally discard large chunks of your deck and trigger desperation on cards, then he uses return to pull cards you really need back from the discard pile.

I was skeptical at first--and still am a bit--about the whole thing working, but at least within the framework of this set, I think a player would actually have a decent shot at pulling it off, basically turning their discard pile into their draw deck and allowing them to pull the cards they want from it WHEN they want them. The ONLY problem I see so far is in removing threats, since his cards add a ton of them.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

September 05, 2008, 08:25:25 AM
Reply #6

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 08:25:25 AM »
Legendary cards also go to the dead pile if discarded.

Anvar
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

September 05, 2008, 08:28:00 AM
Reply #7

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
Ah, right...to tie in with tombs and all.
Best regards,
Dáin

September 05, 2008, 08:34:03 AM
Reply #8

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 08:34:03 AM »
Yes indeed. Also, note that Legendary isn't actually my mechanic, and that I 'borrowed' it from Thranduil, who used it in his 2nd age set.

Anvar
-Doctor Who

September 05, 2008, 08:39:34 AM
Reply #9

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 08:39:34 AM »
Pretty cool, all of them! I might even considering borrowing some. ;)

September 05, 2008, 09:40:45 AM
Reply #10

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »
One more card for the weekend. I think I designed this card, or one much like it, for the never ending DC thread, but here it is with Desperation. This is an example of a card where Desperation is something of a double-edged sword. When Desperation comes, all treasure is locked away:

[3] •Lost Treasure Hoard [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
Each time you draw a card in the fellowship phase you may spot 2 Dwarves to add a [Dwarven] token here.
Desperation - while you can spot a Dwarf, tokens cannot be added, removed or reinforced.
"'I soon understood that his heart was hot with brooding on his wrongs, and the loss of the treasure of his forefathers...'"
-Doctor Who

September 05, 2008, 09:52:01 AM
Reply #11

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Lost Treasure Hoard
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:52:01 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the point of the card. Yes, having extra tokens around is nice, but the drawback means I would NEVER use this in a deck built around desperation. Was that the point? If so, I would think it would be better saved for another set where desperation is not such an emphasis.
Best regards,
Dáin

September 05, 2008, 10:20:07 AM
Reply #12

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 10:20:07 AM »
Well, it has a double use. You could use it in a Desperation deck to counter decks that rely on tokens (eg. Corsairs) or you could use it in a token deck, where this could provide a stream of tokens. Just don't delve too greedily or too deep...

Anvar
-Doctor Who

September 05, 2008, 10:42:42 AM
Reply #13

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 10:42:42 AM »
Alright, I suppose that's fair enough. I MIGHT toss one into a [Dwarven] desperation deck if I thought opponent's tokens would be a problem, but obviously you're not going to use this with [Dwarven] tokens AND a desperation strategy. Like I said, fair enough. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

September 06, 2008, 01:21:53 PM
Reply #14

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 01:21:53 PM »
I don't think a desperation [Dwarven] token deck makes sense, but that Treasure Horde looks amazing in a standard [Dwarven] token deck. That card with NPNS and Heavy Axe, Gloin et cetera looks amazing, and so it's good that it has some nasty drawback which you'll trigger if you're not too careful. I don't think I'd use it in any other deck, though. It might give you a reason for splashing Gloin, but probably not.

Thranduil

September 08, 2008, 02:26:56 AM
Reply #15

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 02:26:56 AM »
Seems ok to me. Odd but ok.

September 08, 2008, 11:02:57 AM
Reply #16

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:57 AM »
Thanks for the reviews. A few more Dwarf cards today. Sorry for the lack of lore, but I don't have time to look up quotes at the moment. The latter two cards are part of the theme to encourage multi-culture shadow sides.

[1] Desperate Action [Dwarven]
Event • Skirmish
Make a Dwarf strength +2 (or spot a Dwarf to make a companion with desperation gain enduring 2).

[3] •Whirl of Axes [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
To play spot 2 Dwarves.
Skirmish: Exert a Dwarf to exert a minion he or she is skirmishing. Then exert each other minion of the same culture. Discard this condition.

[1] Hack and Slash [Dwarven]
Event • Skirmish
Add a threat and spot a minion to make a Dwarf strength +1 for each minion of the same culture as that minion.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:32:11 AM by Anvar »
-Doctor Who

September 08, 2008, 11:32:31 AM
Reply #17

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Dwarven] companion strength +2 (or make a companion with desperation gain enduring 2).

Good, but I definately recommend limiting the enduring to [Dwarven] companions as well, OR make this event spot a Dwarf or two to play. Way too splashable in desperation decks otherwise.

Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Exert a minion skirmishing a [Dwarven] companion. Then exert each other character with the same culture. Discard this condition.

Not sure why the second part says "character" instead of just "minion", but otherwise fine. Very powerful, but fine.

Actually...on second thought, I'd make it spot at least 2 Dwarves to play in the first place.

Event • Skirmish
Add a threat and spot a minion to make a [Dwarven] companion strength +1 for each character with the same culture as that minion.

I think it's "of the same culture", but that's about the only flaw I see. Certainly discourages swarms! :twisted:
Best regards,
Dáin

September 08, 2008, 11:34:28 AM
Reply #18

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 11:34:28 AM »
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Dwarven] companion strength +2 (or make a companion with desperation gain enduring 2).
What does it mean "with desperation"? It's not entirely clear, but presumably you mean if a companion has a desperation ability, triggered or not? I feel like this event should have return as well, but maybe it only returns if you can spot a Dwarf.

Condition • Support Area
Skirmish: Exert a minion skirmishing a [Dwarven] companion. Then exert each other character with the same culture. Discard this condition.
What if you're running Sméagol and the culture is [Gollum]? There doesn't seem to me such an important reason why it doesn't say "other minion with the same culture." I think DI's spotting requirement is not a bad idea either.

Event • Skirmish
Add a threat and spot a minion to make a [Dwarven] companion strength +1 for each character with the same culture as that minion.
Same note on the minion/character bit. Fair enough otherwise.

Thranduil

September 08, 2008, 01:29:59 PM
Reply #19

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Whirl of Axes
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 01:29:59 PM »
whirl of axes should cost 2 IMSO...I mean dwarves really don't need that much help knocking people off with their damage...
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

September 08, 2008, 02:04:52 PM
Reply #20

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
I'd ditto Dain's comments.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

September 09, 2008, 01:31:58 AM
Reply #21

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 01:31:58 AM »

Event • Skirmish
Make a Dwarf strength +2 (or spot a Dwarf to make a companion with desperation gain enduring 2).

Niiiiiice.

[2] •Whirl of Axes [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
To play spot 2 Dwarves.
Skirmish: Exert a minion skirmishing a Dwarf. Then exert each other minion of the same culture. Discard this condition.

Bloody #$&*@! thats insane. Like best card ever, no effectual cost and its like a blitzkreig! Why am i the only one to think this could be mental. It has potential to place like 4 or 5 exertions or more if youre being swarmed, for 2? It doesnt require any additonal pool adding, exerting a comp, burden or threats? Its amazing!

Event • Skirmish
Add a threat and spot a minion to make a Dwarf strength +1 for each minion of the same culture as that minion.

Nice.

September 09, 2008, 10:38:47 AM
Reply #22

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 10:38:47 AM »
yes lem0n, but since when do dwarves need help killing minions? I mean yeah its useful for double moves, but its not gonna make or break a turn...maybe it should cost 3 or require an exertion, I will give it that.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

September 10, 2008, 12:57:26 AM
Reply #23

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 12:57:26 AM »
Well true dwarves will kill stuff when they win, but a.) they have to win and if theres is like 5 minions you cant guarantee that and b.) it does it before they dish damage so it stops anything that exerts for an action or needs vitality like wargs. Its still amazing regardless of the culture.

September 10, 2008, 10:44:32 AM
Reply #24

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 10:44:32 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. I have put up the cost of whirl of axes, but it is supposed to be very good, and supposed to discourage mono-culture shadow sides.

Todays cards are on the theme of the dead pile. I think Dain asked how you get rid of threats in my dream card set. While I envision there being a gandalf card or two to help out with that, the brutal answer for this set is that you kill a companion! Let me know what you think about the Last King of Moria.

[2] •Balin, Last King of Moria [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 7
Resistance: 6
Damage +1.
To play, spot a Dwarf.
While Balin is in your dead pile, each exhausted Dwarf is enduring 1 and damage +1.
"'He is dead then,' said Frodo. 'I feared it was so.' Gimli cast his hood over his face.

[1] •Tomb of Balin [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
Tomb. (Cards stacked here count as being in the dead pile. If discarded, place all stacked cards in the dead pile).
When you play this, stack a Dwarf here from your discard or dead pile.
Each time a Dwarf takes a wound, you may spot a card stacked here and scour a card to exert a minion.
"'We will make them fear the Chamber of Mazarbul!'"

[2] •Book of Mazarbul, Last Record of Moria [Dwarven]
Possession
Resistance: +1
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
At the start of the fellowship phase you may draw a card for each [Dwarven] character in your dead pile.
"'...The last thing written is in a trailing scrawl of elf-letters: they are coming. There is nothing more.'"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:07:52 PM by Anvar »
-Doctor Who

September 10, 2008, 10:56:47 AM
Reply #25

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
Re: The Paths of the Dead - The Last King of Moria
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. I have put up the cost of whirl of axes, but it is supposed to be very good, and supposed to discourage mono-culture shadow sides.

Todays cards are on the theme of the dead pile. I think Dain asked how you get rid of threats in my dream card set. While I envision there being a gandalf card or two to help out with that, the brutal answer for this set is that you kill a companion! Let me know what you think about the Last King of Moria.

[3] •Balin, Last King of Moria [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
While Balin is in your dead pile, each exhausted Dwarf is damage +2.
"'He is dead then,' said Frodo. 'I feared it was so.' Gimli cast his hood over his face.
coolio!

Condition • Support Area
Tomb. (Cards stacked here count as being in the dead pile. If discarded, place all stacked cards in the dead pile).
Each time a Dwarf takes a wound, you may spot a card stacked here and scour a card to exert a minion.
fine.

Possession
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
At the start of the fellowship phase you may draw a card for each [Dwarven] character in your dead pile.
"'...The last thing written is in a trailing scrawl of elf-letters: they are coming. There is nothing more.'"
fine
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

September 10, 2008, 11:19:40 AM
Reply #26

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.

Considering his only text triggers while he is dead, perhaps follow the path of Linnar and make him cost only [2]. Or at least have his cost reduced while you can spot another Dwarf.

Condition • Support Area

In a word: evil. I love it. :twisted:

Possession
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.

Seems alright.
Best regards,
Dáin

September 10, 2008, 12:04:15 PM
Reply #27

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
I want something truly brutal for Balin's death: how about enduring 1/2? :twisted:

Condition • Support Area
Very entertaining!

Possession
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Interesting rethink of the original. I think I'd prefer it to play to the support area or give a stat bonus of some kind to its bearer.

Thranduil

September 10, 2008, 12:26:22 PM
Reply #28

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 12:26:22 PM »
Quote from: Thranduil
Possession
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Interesting rethink of the original. I think I'd prefer it to play to the support area or give a stat bonus of some kind to its bearer.

Funny you should mention that...I almost recommended before that it give resistance +1. 'Twould be a great add-on to a [Dwarven] deck with BoG as the Ring-bearer then. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

September 11, 2008, 01:24:00 AM
Reply #29

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »

[2] •Balin, Last King of Moria [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
To play, spot a Dwarf.
While Balin is in your dead pile, each exhausted Dwarf is enduring 1 and damage +1.

Fine.

Condition • Support Area

Wow powerful but guess its ok.

Possession
Resistance: +1
Tale.
Bearer must be a Dwarf.

Nice, maybe undercosted.

September 11, 2008, 08:28:42 AM
Reply #30

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
Nice, maybe undercosted.

Wow, you're usually the first one to point out that cards that rely on having dead companions aren't a good thing ;)
-Doctor Who

September 11, 2008, 01:45:09 PM
Reply #31

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »
A few desperation cards today for the Dwarves, including their entry in the Ride cycle:

[2] Iron Guard [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Enduring 1.
Desperation -
this companion gains enduring 1.

[1] Gleam of Gold [Dwarven]
Event • Fellowship
Add a threat to draw 2 cards.
Desperation - add a threat to take two [Dwarven] events into hand from your discard pile. Then remove this event from the game.

[1] Ride Behind [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves you may spot a Dwarf to scour 3 cards. For each Free Peoples card you scour in this way, make each opponent scour a card. For each Shadow card you scour in this way, each opponent may draw a card.
"'Come, you shall sit behind me, friend Gimli,' said Legolas. 'Then all will be well, and you need neither borrow a horse nor be troubled by one.'"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 01:12:38 PM by Anvar »
-Doctor Who

September 11, 2008, 01:57:07 PM
Reply #32

Incognito

• Professional Assassin
  • Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • You're next.
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »
[2] Iron Guard [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Enduring 1.
Desperation -

Okay, I suppose, but nothing to write home about.

Event • Fellowship
Desperation - add a threat to take two [Dwarven] events into hand from your discard pile. Then remove this event from the game.

Now this is really cool. Something a desperation deck could really use.

[0] Ride Behind [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves you may spot a Dwarf and scour 3 cards to make each opponent scour 3 cards.
"'Come, you shall sit behind me, friend Gimli,' said Legolas. 'Then all will be well, and you need neither borrow a horse nor be troubled by one.'"

Cost symbol needs parenthesis, not brackets.

I think I missed the definition of "scour." Remind me?

September 11, 2008, 02:02:58 PM
Reply #33

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Gleam of Gold
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
scour = discard off the top of your draw deck. Just to save space on cards really.
-Doctor Who

September 11, 2008, 03:52:43 PM
Reply #34

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
[2] Iron Guard [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Enduring 1.
Desperation -
What do you mean by "Iron Guard"?

Event • Fellowship
Very cool, but I reckon it should cost (0).

(0) Ride Behind [Dwarven]
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves you may spot a Dwarf and scour 3 cards to make each opponent scour 3 cards.
Classic! You have a real vengeful and spiteful feel to these [Dwarven] cards which is really awesome.

Thranduil

September 11, 2008, 04:31:51 PM
Reply #35

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »
[2] Iron Guard [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Enduring 1.
Desperation -

I'm not sure - such a common enduring guy seems a bit good to me, but his desperation ability doesn't seem quite worth it.

Event • Fellowship

I disagree with Thran, I think the cost should stay at [1].

Condition • Support Area

I don't know. I think this is way good in [Dwarven] discard decks. I might make it exert that Dwarf to do so, or possibly make the card unique. Or both.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

September 12, 2008, 08:13:48 AM
Reply #36

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 08:13:48 AM »

What do you mean by "Iron Guard"?

Well, I was actually referring to this:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99061465016&orignav=16

Maybe not the best place to go for cards, but it seemed like a great title. Also note that without desperation, Iron Guard will typically only reach 8 strength. Not bad, but nothing compared to the Elven Hunters...

Anvar
-Doctor Who

September 12, 2008, 10:42:00 AM
Reply #37

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »

[2] Iron Guard [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Enduring 1.
Desperation -

Meh ok.

Event • Fellowship

Nice.

Condition • Support Area

LOL nice but id make you scour 4 cards and everyone else 3 or else its pure dwarven NPE abuse.

September 12, 2008, 10:59:44 AM
Reply #38

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »
Bear in mind that in the context of my set, Ride Behind can trigger your opponents' desperation.

Still, I will consider altering it in some way.

Anvar
-Doctor Who

September 13, 2008, 05:57:52 PM
Reply #39

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
I think Ride Behind needs to be unique if you plan on leaving it as-is. With four out, you can scour 12 cards a turn which is way beyond anything that should be possible on a turn-by-turn basis.

September 14, 2008, 01:20:50 PM
Reply #40

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 01:20:50 PM »
Okay, I want to keep this non-unique, to keep it in line with the other cards in the cycle, but after your comments I decided to keep it in line other ways as well. Now it does different things depending on what you scour. Let me know what you think:

Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves you may spot a Dwarf to scour 3 cards. For each Free Peoples card you scour in this way, make each opponent scour a card. For each Shadow card you scour in this way, each opponent may draw a card.

And todays cards are the last two in the Dwarf culture:

[3]Dain Ironfoot, Fallen King [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Return - [2]
Desperation -
Dain Ironfoot gains enduring X where X is his damage bonus.
'"...and now we hear that Dain has fallen, fighting in Dale again, even while we fought here. I should call that a heavy loss, if it was not a wonder rather that in his great age he could still wield his axe as mightily as they say that he did..."'

(0) Death Blow [Dwarven]
Event • Maneuver
Place a Dwarf in the dead pile to kill or discard a minion.
"'...standing over the body of King Brand before the Gate of Erebor until the darkness fell."'
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:01:05 PM by Anvar »
-Doctor Who

September 14, 2008, 05:20:45 PM
Reply #41

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »
Condition • Support Area
Yeah, it's awesome! Either way you get to mill their deck. :twisted:

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
Desperation -
'"...and now we hear that Dain has fallen, fighting in Dale again, even while we fought here. I should call that a heavy loss, if it was not a wonder rather that in his great age he could still wield his axe as mightily as they say that he did..."'
This guy's awesome! A great take on the damage theme. Compared to the current Dain Ironfoot though, he's not very good. Maybe he should retain some cost reduction for other Dwarves in the starting fellowship or have a cheap return cost.

[1] Death Blow [Dwarven]
Event • Maneuver
"'...standing over the body of King Brand before the Gate of Erebor until the darkness fell."'
Great, but I feel it could be (0).

Thranduil

September 15, 2008, 11:28:10 AM
Reply #42

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Dain Ironfoot, Fallen King
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »
Okay, I want to keep this non-unique, to keep it in line with the other cards in the cycle, but after your comments I decided to keep it in line other ways as well. Now it does different things depending on what you scour. Let me know what you think:

Condition • Support Area
cool could cost 0 though

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Return - [2]
Desperation -
coolio...MAYBEEE a limit on that desperation...enduring 4 maybe?

[1] Death Blow [Dwarven]
Event • Maneuver
kill or discard? should it be worded like that?
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

September 15, 2008, 11:39:38 AM
Reply #43

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »

kill or discard? should it be worded like that?

This is deliberate. Note that killing does not mean discarded anymore, and I have a cycle of Orcs that like to be discarded rather than killed. This way, you get the choice as to what you wish them to count as.

Anvar
-Doctor Who

September 15, 2008, 01:04:04 PM
Reply #44

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008, 01:04:04 PM »
Right then, time to move on to the evil side of the Gollum culture. At the moment, I don't actually have any Smeagol cards at all - can't think what makes sense on that half in this set - but I digress.

So, what is Gollum all about? Gollum culture has a large theme of making multi-culture shadow decks work. It's big on threats, but bigger as a splash into other decks. On that note, here are two very splashable cards:

[2] •Gollum, Persistent Villain [Gollum]
Minion
Strength: 5
Vitality: 4
Site: 3
Return - [2].
If Gollum is killed, remove him from the game.

[4] Betrayed [Gollum] Shadow
Condition • Support Area
To play spot Gollum or Smeagol.
Desperation - each shadow card gains "Return - exert Gollum and remove [1]".
-Doctor Who

September 15, 2008, 01:53:36 PM
Reply #45

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2008, 01:53:36 PM »
Minion
Return - [2].

Hmmm. :-k He's alright, but I likely wouldn't ever use him. There are plenty of ways to get ANY Gollum back from discard, and the ones I'd grab would have useful text and certainly lack that nasty drawback. If Gollum is big on threats in your sets, then how about some text that works with threats? This version is pretty weak right now, I think.

Condition • Support Area

Make sure to capitalize "Shadow"...and it probably wouldn't hurt to do the same to the "each" here. I might remove [2] with the ability and reduce the cost of the condition itself to [2] or even [1], but that's me.
Best regards,
Dáin

September 15, 2008, 04:10:08 PM
Reply #46

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »
Minion
Return - [2].
I agree with DI, I wouldn't use it over Plotting Deceiver, for example. He needs a decent ability as well. And his return cost should perhaps be easier. Or perhaps make it something different and have no return cost at all! That could be really cool - he can always be recurred, but if killed he's lost and he doesn't have another ability.

Condition • Support Area
AWESOME! DI makes quite a good point, though. :gp:

Thranduil

September 15, 2008, 05:14:53 PM
Reply #47

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Gollum Culture
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »
listen to the dwarf and the elf...they know what they're saying ;)
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

September 15, 2008, 07:26:27 PM
Reply #48

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2008, 07:26:27 PM »
I don't really need to say it - but I think Dain and Thran are right.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.

September 17, 2008, 04:15:30 AM
Reply #49

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2008, 04:15:30 AM »
Ditto, Ditto and Ditto.

September 17, 2008, 11:08:49 AM
Reply #50

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »
no it'd actually be ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto....EL was ditto ditto ditto...I think

no wait I was ditto, so el was ditto ditto, and yes you would be ditto ditto ditto...so your good ;)
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

September 18, 2008, 01:27:55 AM
Reply #51

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2008, 01:27:55 AM »
LOL. I can count my dittos thank you very much!

September 18, 2008, 01:44:57 PM
Reply #52

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »
My brain is a bit too frazzled at the moment to make changes to the previous cards. Hopefully I'll do something about them soon.

In the mean time, here are some more cards:

[2] Leap from the Shadows [Gollum] shadow
Event • Skirmish
Return - exert Gollum.
Spot Gollum to make a minion strength +2. If you played this using the return cost, remove this card from the game.

[2] Dark Allies [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Skirmish
Return - [2]
Spot Gollum to make a minion strength +1 for each Shadow culture you can spot. If you played this using the return cost, remove this card from the game.

(0) This Fellow Ain't Dead [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Response
If a companion loses a skirmish involving a Gollum minion, spot an [Orc] or [Uruk] minion to discard that companion.
"She jabs them with her stinger and they go as limp as a boned fish. Then she has her way with them."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:18:44 PM by Anvar »
-Doctor Who

September 18, 2008, 01:59:50 PM
Reply #53

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »
My brain is a bit too frazzled at the moment to make changes to the previous cards. Hopefully I'll do something about them soon.

I understand how that goes, so some advice: perhaps just make it so that each time you play Persistent Villain from the discard pile (or perhaps just "except from hand"), you get to add a threat? That would make him MUCH more viable. :up:

[1] Leap from the Shadows [Gollum] shadow
Event • Skirmish
Return - exert Gollum.
Spot Gollum to make a minion strength +2. If you played this using the return cost, remove this card from the game.

The only problem I see is that it's a LITTLE too good compared to cards like Hobbitses Are Dead (more specific), No End of Wickedness (requires exerting), and Cunningly Hidden (which can also be pulled back, but costs [2]). Perhaps raise the cost to [2] and make the strength boost +3. I'd like it a LOT more then. It's okay now, I would just like [2]/+3 a little better. ;)

[1] Dark Allies [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Skirmish
Return - [3]
Spot Gollum to make a minion strength +1 for each Shadow culture you can spot. If you played this using the return cost, remove this card from the game.

Nice. Again, [2] might be better, afterwhich you could reduce the return cost to [2].

[0] This Fellow Ain't Dead [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Response
If a [Gollum] minion has just won a skirmish against a companion, spot an [Orc] or [Uruk] minion to discard that companion.
"She jabs them with her stinger and they go as limp as a boned fish. Then she has her way with them."

I think the wording should be "If a [Gollum] minion wins a skirmish, spot an [Orc] or [Uruk] minion to discard a companion in that skirmish." It's awesome, and I LOVE the synergy, but it should probably cost a lot more, like [3] or so. Maybe not...kinda unsure about this one. I'd wait and see what other reviewers think, but that's my gut reaction.
Best regards,
Dáin

September 19, 2008, 02:21:54 AM
Reply #54

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2008, 02:21:54 AM »

Event • Skirmish
Return - exert Gollum.

Meh seems a tad UP for the cost, but cant see how to rectify that.

Event • Skirmish
Return - [2]

Ok ish.

Event • Response
If a [Gollum] minion has just won a skirmish against a companion, spot an [Orc] or [Uruk] minion to discard that companion.

Wow hellishly nasty but nice, i feel "and that companion is then exhausted then..." is less OP and more flavoursome.

September 19, 2008, 08:19:09 AM
Reply #55

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2008, 08:19:09 AM »
Event • Skirmish
Return - exert Gollum.
Actually, I think it should cost [1] - the other cards DI mentioned are not great and never make the cut in my [Gollum] decks.

Event • Skirmish
Return - [2]
This is good.

Event • Response
Why do you need "against a companion"? A more usual wording would be "If a companion loses a skirmish involving a [Gollum] minion..." Perhaps lem0n has a good point about "if that character is then exhausted".

Thranduil

September 23, 2008, 04:23:10 AM
Reply #56

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 04:23:10 AM »

In the mean time, here are some more cards:

Event • Skirmish
Return - exert Gollum.

I'd change it so you'd exert Gollum twice or make it [3].

Event • Skirmish
Return - [2]

Would only work in a rainbow deck so I'd make it [1] and exert Gollum.

Event • Response

Neat!

September 23, 2008, 04:51:43 PM
Reply #57

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 04:51:43 PM »
everything I would say has been said...
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

September 25, 2008, 12:20:54 PM
Reply #58

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2008, 12:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Some theme cards for Gollum today:

[2] •Mustn't Hurt Preciouss [Gollum] Shadow
Condition • Support Area
Desperation - Each time you play a card using return, you may spot Gollum or Smeagol to add a threat. If you can't add a threat, add a burden instead.

[2] All Dead [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Shadow
Exert Gollum to add a threat for each card in each dead pile.
-Doctor Who

September 25, 2008, 05:10:41 PM
Reply #59

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »
[2] All Dead [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Shadow
Exert Gollum to add a threat for each card in each dead pile.
I think it should be "Exert Gollum or Sméagol", and perhaps could cost [1].

Other card is good! :hey:

Thranduil

September 26, 2008, 02:23:04 AM
Reply #60

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Mustn't Hurt Preciouss
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2008, 02:23:04 AM »
 :up: is all i have to say.

September 26, 2008, 11:17:45 AM
Reply #61

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
Re: The Paths of the Dead - Mustn't Hurt Preciouss
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »
Both are sweeet.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.