LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The unofficial "Hey I made a new page" thread.  (Read 729 times)

April 26, 2012, 09:53:43 PM
Read 729 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
The unofficial "Hey I made a new page" thread.
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
Figured this would keep me from cluttering up this board.

Anywho, I started the archery phase page. Will do the other phases soon.

http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/archery_phase

April 27, 2012, 12:36:45 AM
Reply #1

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Re: The unofficial "Hey I made a new page" thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »
Perhaps you can add the possibilities of the archery phase, how the archery total is decided etc. If archers are killed during archeryphase with actions, that they're not going to shoot anymore and such.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

April 28, 2012, 01:53:18 PM
Reply #2

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
Here is my contribution so far:

Southron Archer
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

April 29, 2012, 07:22:46 AM
Reply #3

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »
ALRIGHT.  So I finally kicked out the main Index page...I mentioned this in another thread, but this sort of tabled-out, maximum info page is actually what needs to be the main page of the wiki.  I would point to the TF2 Wiki or Team Liquid StarCraft II Wiki as examples....this is true for all websites, but especially for game wikis, you want all your relevant info within three clicks.  If you know what card you're looking for specifically, we've got that down, but if you're looking for strategy info or mechanic explanation, good luck.  You need to navigate to a card that has a similar strategy and hope for links.

The organization's still a bit shaky, but without the ability to put HTML in, we're kind of at the mercy of the parser as far as getting things centered and so forth.  Oh, that reminds me; how does this look on other people's screens?  It fits fine on my 1280x1024 screen, but I realize some people use it on mobile and someone likely has a lower res monitor...does it completely crap out or is it bearable?

[EDIT:] Blargh, rearranged it a bit more.  What I would do to have two tables next to each other.  Hint, hint, Kralik.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:34:28 AM by TelTura »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

April 29, 2012, 10:41:13 AM
Reply #4

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:41:13 AM »
mmmk I also wrote up most of a first draft of the LotR-TCG page.  First bit just goes over an elevator pitch of the game's concept, and then it goes into a brief history of the game.  I've filled in the parts I was there for, for the most part, but I'm kind of hoping that someone with firsthand memory of the CC/TLHH years could summarize for us how the game was affected and the scene there.  Any community-specific history should be limited to the TLHH page or something, I think.

Lemme know if you think it's too image-heavy.  The Sauron icon seems a bit awkward, but it's more the layout than the image...it's actually not bumping anything, if you remove it there's a big blank space.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:53:35 PM by TelTura »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

April 30, 2012, 07:57:18 AM
Reply #5

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:57:18 AM »
t-t-t-triple post.  Have I really been working on this for more than 24 hours straight?  Maybe I should take your beer offer, ket....<_<

at any rate, I've done a transfer of a fair amount of the info that was once on the LOTRO site, now hosted on the Wayback Machine here.  All the pre-Shadows Culture pages now have a dump of text in them, as well as various cards that they did spotlights on...I think we can take a lot away from these blurbs, as far as how we ought to do our entries, and what info to include.  The Dwarven Heart one especially blew my mind; I really thought that card was irredeemable.

At any rate, all of these entries still need cleanup; the cultures especially are just a dump with bare section formatting.  Some of them have articles that would be best separated into their own deck pages and linked to.  Also, for whatever reason, the LOTRO team was apparently perpetually stuck right before the public release of Ents of Fangorn, and so all their comments have to do with the state of Standard at that time. Good insight, just not very broad. 

cards dumped from the wayback machine's archive of decipher.com:
Gandalf Culture
4 R 100: Shadowfax
3 R 29: Betrayal of Isengard
5 R 19: Lindenroot, Elder Shepherd
5 R 16: Down from the Hills
1 R 83: Servant of the Secret Fire
3 C 33: His First Serious Check
4 U 99: Roll of Thunder
4 R 91: Gandalf's Staff, Walking Stick
Gondor Culture
2 R 32: Flaming Brand
1 C 17: Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom
1 U 94: Athelas
Elven Culture
1 R 96: Curse Their Foul Feet
2 R 19: Release the Angry Flood
Dwarven Culture
4 C 51: Khazad Ai-menu
4 C 42: Best Company
1 U 17: Grimir, Dwarven Elder
1 C 10: Dwarven Heart
2 U 13: Tidings of Erebor
Rohirrim Culture
4 R 262: Aldor, Soldier of Edoras
5 C 88: Rohirrim Bow
5 C 91: Rohirrim Shield
4 R 279: Helm! Helm!
5 R 82: Gamling, Warrior of Rohan
4 U 276: Fortress Never Fallen
Wraith Culture
1 R 221: The Pale Blade
1 R 208: Black Steed
1 U 238: Wreathed in Shadow
1 U 219: The Nine Servants of Sauron
12 U 161: Black Rider
1 U 207: Black Breath
1 U 209: Blade Tip
1 U 220: Not Easily Destroyed
1 R 217: Morgul Gates
6 R 89: Winged and Ominous
Isengard Culture
1 U 162: Worry
Sauron Culture
5 R 96: Eye of Barad-Dur
5 U 107: Orc Patrol
Dunlending Culture
4 U 36: War Club
4 R 33: Saruman, Rabble Rouser
4 C 15: Dunlending Ravager
Raider Culture
4 C 260: Whirling Strike
4 U 234: Flanking Attack
4 R 246: Southron Assassin
4 R 223: Discovered
4 C 224: Easterling Axeman
4 C 235: Gathering to the Summons
Gollum Culture
5 C 30: We Must Have It
5 C 28: Smeagol, Old Noser
5 U 26: Look at Him
Moria_Culture
Shire_Culture

April 30, 2012, 08:46:39 AM
Reply #6

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »
Thanks to one of the plugins Kralik installed, the index page doesn't look like #$&*@! anymore.  Check it out:  index

April 30, 2012, 09:08:05 AM
Reply #7

Kralik

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
You need to take a breather! :P

Suggestion for formats: Since some blocks don't include "extra" sets (King Block doesn't include Reflections, for example), wouldn't it be better to have columns of the formats table be sets, not blocks? One could use abbreviations instead of full set names: FotR, MoM, RotEL, etc.

Yes, I know it would be a lot of work... :-k

April 30, 2012, 09:22:20 AM
Reply #8

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
I actually did play around with having just the set numbers; at the time I didn't go with it because it didn't fill out the whole screen and looked dumb, besides having 19 columns to deal with it.  Now the width isn't a problem and we could see what it looks like. I just went with blocks because that's essentially how the formats are defined; no format accepts, say, a base set and excludes the expansions (no standard format, anyhoo).  Reflections, Expanded Middle-earth, etc, are not, as far as I can tell, technically part of their block, as far as the block formats were defined at time of release. 

April 30, 2012, 09:28:58 AM
Reply #9

Vroengard

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:28:58 AM »
dude, you can write awesome texts.
Some crucial info is lacking on some cards but everyone can add more, thats what I like about wikis
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:31:34 AM by Vroengard »

May 31, 2012, 05:18:39 AM
Reply #10

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 05:18:39 AM »
I have just made main page about Gemp-LotR and started to do more detailed pages on various areas of it, aiming at doing a proper manual so that anyone new to online playing can quickly learn all the basics. I want to add screenshots explaining how things work, but I have no rights to add images to the wiki. Could I get them?

May 31, 2012, 05:45:35 AM
Reply #11

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 05:45:35 AM »
I have rights; if you want to link me I'll upload them for you.

May 31, 2012, 06:03:58 AM
Reply #12

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 06:03:58 AM »
Thanks. To not bother you too often, I'll wait till I have a few images ready to upload (at the moment I have only one for game hall page which I've just written). What are technical requirements for the images?

May 31, 2012, 06:55:05 AM
Reply #13

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 06:55:05 AM »
Less than a megabyte, but that's overkill for a screenshot anyway.  And don't worry about bother--it takes like ten seconds to do, so post them as you need them (or pm me, either way).  I'm on here for an obscene percentage of the day.

May 31, 2012, 10:19:55 AM
Reply #14

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »
there's no way to reset your password in gemp!? 

/facepalm