LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Poorman's red (or just cheap)  (Read 3830 times)

July 14, 2012, 05:09:39 AM
Read 3830 times

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Poorman's red (or just cheap)
« on: July 14, 2012, 05:09:39 AM »
I realize this is a ghost-town, but here's the deck:

land:   
mountain   24

creatures:   
spikeshot goblin   4
wojek embermage   4
higher-mana creature   4

instants:   
lightning bolt   4
downhill charge   4

enchantments:   
granite grip   4
Claws of Valakut   4
seal of fire   4

artifacts:   
bonesplitter   4

I'd like a larger creature to take advantage of the late-game.  This one's on a budget, so it doesn't have to stay in poorman's format, but I also don't want to spend a ton on a high-demand type-2 staple
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

July 16, 2012, 01:07:46 PM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Poorman's red (or just cheap)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:07:46 PM »
A good monored is actually dirt cheap to build, with Goblin Guide, Fireblast and Fetchlands compounding the expensive stuff, but being replaceable for low-powered games. I'd actually go with a lightning-fast red deck, and that means dealing 3 damage per mana spent, 2 simply won't cut it. Lightning Bolt you already have, but I'd look into finding Lava Spikes and Rift Bolts, and possibly CHain Lightnings (it was reprinted in a retail product, so it might have gotten cheaper). I'd also cut down on lands, playing 20 tops (you only need 2-3 lands to operate with such decks), and getting 1-2 Barbarian Rings in the mix. Then, for creatures, I'd go with Mogg Fanatic and Keldon Marauders, and lose the equipments (anything that "turns on" opposing creature removal - a given in most decks - is bad for the strategy). I'd top it out with Incinerates and the new incinerate from M13 (forgot its name, sorry), and consider 2-damage dealing spells only when they offer something very good (Magma Jet, and Seal of Fire is actually a possibility depending on what you play against, since it represents a low investment you don't need to "cash out" instantly), or more expensive spells that help close out in a longer game (Shrine of Burning Rage). Since it's for casual games only, I'd consider throwing in some Demonfire or any other X spell that can't be countered under some circunstances, perhaps just 1 or 2. It should still be a dirt cheap deck, though.