LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Bent Foil Cards  (Read 2901 times)

September 04, 2014, 02:09:21 PM
Read 2901 times

Carl333

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • "But it is not this day. This day we fight!"
Bent Foil Cards
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
All my foil cards are automatically bending, for some reason. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows how to fix it.
"Do you ever wonder why we are here?  Maybe you're here because it is the only place you fit in.  Maybe you're here because you have nowhere else to go.  Maybe you're here because deep down, you want to be here.  It doesn't matter why you're here.  All that matters is that you are here!"

September 04, 2014, 05:48:50 PM
Reply #1

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
Re: Bent Foil Cards
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:48:50 PM »
This always happens for some reason. They curve upwards and inwards.

I noticed that the foils that I had around when I was in Brazil seemed to do it more often than my home in the USA.
The humidity where I was at in Brazil was much higher on average, so I think that the level of humidity affects how much they curve, though they all have the tendency to do this.

I find that if I lay them flat underneath a heavy surface for a while, I can press some of them back into relative normality.

My recommendation would be to keep them in sleeves (hard plastic if you can) in a room without much humidity. Air conditioner probably helps.

September 04, 2014, 09:00:27 PM
Reply #2

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »
The paper and foil material both expand/contract as temperature and humidity change, but at different rates.  If the paper grows by 1 mm and the foil only grows by 0.1 mm, then the card will bend to keep the bonded points bonded but allow this expansion (the slight difference in radius between the inside of the curve and the outside is enough to compensate for the different card/foil lengths).  This same effect is used in bimetal switches in some thermostats and thermometers.  One solution would be to find the temperature and humidity at which the cards are straight; however, in practice using a hard case or binder page is much easier.

tl;dr: it's magic, and dmaz' solution works
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

September 05, 2014, 08:24:57 AM
Reply #3

Carl333

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • "But it is not this day. This day we fight!"
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:24:57 AM »
Thanks everyone for the answers. It does work.
"Do you ever wonder why we are here?  Maybe you're here because it is the only place you fit in.  Maybe you're here because you have nowhere else to go.  Maybe you're here because deep down, you want to be here.  It doesn't matter why you're here.  All that matters is that you are here!"