LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Ultimate BOMB Deck  (Read 6410 times)

March 30, 2014, 08:29:18 AM
Read 6410 times

xXx

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
The Ultimate BOMB Deck
« on: March 30, 2014, 08:29:18 AM »
Well, after a long run of highly effective wins (in both casual and league play), I thought I should finally post my deck here. It uses a Morc Swarm for the shadow, but what makes this deck so effective is the filter of the free peoples cards. So here's one of the leanest, meanest, bomb decks you will ever see!

Ring Bearer: Frodo, Protected by Many
Ring: The One Ring, The Great Ring

Adventure deck:
Cavern Entrance
Expanding Marshland
Neekerbreekers' Bog
Caras Galadhon
Mere of Dead Faces
Mithlond
Dammed Gate-stream
Mount Doom
Sirannon Ruins

Free Peoples (30 cards):
1x Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish (start)
1x Merry, In the Bloom of Health (start)
1x Pippin, In the Bloom of Health (start)
1x Ent Horde (start)
1x Host of Fangorn (start)
1x Quickbeam, Bregalad (start)
1x Skinbark, Fladrif (start)
1x Smeagol, Poor Creature (start)
1x Phial of Galadriel, The Light of Earendil
4x Something Slimy
1x Brooding on Tomorrow
4x Enraged
4x Ent Moot
4x Long-stemmed Pipe
4x Southfarthing Leaf

Shadow (30):
4x Isengard Underling
2x Mountain-troll
4x Orc Skulker
4x Pitiless Orc
1x Prowling Orc
1x Rallying Orc
2x Skulking Goblin
4x Bound to its Fate
4x Demoralized
2x Orkish Camp
2x Unforgiving Depths

Alright, so now I'll try to explain a little bit of the strategy. The starting fellowship is great because it automatically removes 8 free peoples cards from the deck. The abilities of Smeagol and Frodo help dump minions. Start with Dammed Gate-Stream and pull Something Slimy to get a Southfarthing Leaf (if you don't already have one in hand). Use Long-Stemmed Pipe to remove all of the Enraged and Ent Moot from the deck. The Phail also helps get rid of cards, so that's why it's in there. Basically, just smoke all the pipe weed in the regroup phase and keep the fellowship alive until your opponent reaches sit 6 or 7. The free peoples really is the key part of this deck working so well, and it works much better in my opinion than ones that use annoying Horn or other types of filters.

Now for the Bomb shadow. Basically, Demoralized, Pittless Orc, and Mountain Troll are the key cards. Try to keep at least one copy of each of those cards in hand at all times. If you're playing against a 5-companion deck, then use Rallying Orc with lurkers to generate some twilight. Use Unforgiving Depths + Cavern Entrance + Orkish Camp to close things off for your opponent. Since the shadow depends on Demoralized, try to protect that card from condition removal. Use the Isengard Underling + Bound To Its Fate combo to check an opponents hand to make sure it's safe to play Demoralized. If not, then just hold a couple in hand. If your opponent uses condition removal in the maneuver phase, then don't play any minions and just discard them from hand. The only card that can really hurt this deck is Grown Suddenly Tall or regroup phase condition removal. Since most players use 6+ companions in expanded format, this deck works very well. I'm curious what people think about this deck and would like to discuss it's strengths and weaknesses. Thanks for reading!  ;D

Also, here's a link to a recent game that where I actually corrupted the ring-bearer (which rarely happens, but it can). Anyways, at least you can get an idea how the deck functions. Interestingly, my opponent used a similar starting fellowship to my own:

http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=xXx$vas593w1pfk6k35s
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:47:13 AM by xXx »
Philippians 4:13

March 30, 2014, 10:25:31 AM
Reply #1

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
Re: The Ultimate BOMB Deck
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:25:31 AM »
Well, after a long run of highly effective wins (in both casual and league play), I thought I should finally post my deck here. It uses a Morc Swarm for the shadow, but what makes this deck so effective is the filter of the free peoples cards. So here's one of the leanest, meanest, bomb decks you will ever see!

I admit, it's pretty tough.

Use the Isengard Underling + Bound To Its Fate combo to check an opponents hand to make sure it's safe to play Demoralized.

You know, it never occurred to me that this was your primary reason for playing that. I just figured you were going for corruption. I wonder how Bound to its Fate would interact with Erland, Advisor to Brand?

The only card that can really hurt this deck is Grown Suddenly Tall or regroup phase condition removal. Since most players use 6+ companions in expanded format, this deck works very well.

Eh, I think it's got more weaknesses than that. So long as the player knows what's coming, it is possible to prepare for the bomb, survive it, and then damage it enough so that there won't be another bomb. I've successfully beaten this deck using a combination of Traveled Leader, Soldier's Cache, Deep in Thought, and/or Gladden Homestead. One of the tricks is to actually leave as many guys exhausted as possible when you move from Site 6 to 7. Have a Traveled Leader in hand, and some form of condition removal (to get rid of Orkish Camp so you can change the site, and all those Demoralized so the bomb cannot go off again). It also helps to have some kind of direct wounding or special ability canceling (such as Stewards' Legacy) so that you can eliminate the threat of Prowling Orc. Of course, if you stock Caras Galadhon, that's a great site to change it to... but I don't, and have still survived this deck.

Still, even with all that, it's tough and definitely not a guaranteed win for me.

ETA: How do you think your deck would fair against Balin Avenged?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:30:26 AM by sgtdraino »
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

March 31, 2014, 09:41:59 AM
Reply #2

xXx

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
Erland, Advisor to Brand might hinder the shadow a little bit, but nothing devastating. And yes, any deck can be beaten IF the player knows exactly what to expect. With Soldier's Cache you would only be able to exert Gondor companions, so there would be plenty of extra vitality open for Pittless Orc to take advantage of. The win would mean holding both Traveled Leader AND Deep in Thought (providing there is enough twilight left in there, which I try to soak up) in hand the whole game. This would be a 3 card hand clog in your case since you use One Good Turn Deserves Another. Still the weakness to this deck are based on several "IF" possibilities and everything happening at the right time (with some luck as well).

As far as Balin Avenged, I have yet to encounter that card in expanded. But my guess is that it would significantly hurt this deck.

March 31, 2014, 11:38:14 AM
Reply #3

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 11:38:14 AM »
Erland, Advisor to Brand might hinder the shadow a little bit, but nothing devastating.

Yeah, I've debated whether or not to add Erland to my Expanded deck, but so far I don't quite feel the need. He IS in my Open deck, to counter Palantir of Orthanc.

And yes, any deck can be beaten IF the player knows exactly what to expect.

Eh... I would say there are basically two kinds of decks: The first, is a deck that relies upon some type of trick or gimmick, the element of surprise. Winning is dependent upon either your opponent not knowing what the trick is, or simply being unable to prepare to counter it. Another example of this type of deck, are those annoying Little Snuffler decks that try to direct wound the Ringbearer by Site 3, and then turn to pudding after that if they fail.

The other kind of deck, is a deck that remains strong regardless of whether or not the opponent is aware of what it can do. I would put my own deck up as an example of that. I play the same thing almost all the time, the deck list is published, there is very little element of surprise against opponents who have played me on a regular basis. Heck, you yourself have demonstrated a familiarity with my deck! ;) A deck that is strong regardless of tricks or gimmicks.

Part of your strategy involves discarding a bunch of your Shadow cards into the discard pile. Your opponent has until Site 6 to look at those cards you're discarding and figure out... hmmm! This guy is setting up an Orc bomb! It's not like Orc Culture has much variety in strategies.  Mostly it's just two kinds of bombs, one that uses Demoralized, and one that uses Warg Riders... with some corruption sprinkled in with the recycled event. The trickiest bit is the Orkish Camp, but playing you has definitely trained me well as far as what to expect. ;)

With Soldier's Cache you would only be able to exert Gondor companions, so there would be plenty of extra vitality open for Pittless Orc to take advantage of.

If it's an all-Gondor fellowship, that adds up to nobody. If it's me, I do have 5 non-Gondor companions in addition to my 4 Gondor guys, but if I really need to exert everybody, I can just play Neekerbreekers' Bog a couple of times.

The win would mean holding both Traveled Leader AND Deep in Thought (providing there is enough twilight left in there, which I try to soak up) in hand the whole game.

Gladden Homestead can also do the trick, can be pulled with Something Slimy, and need not sit in your hand. It won't permanently get rid of Demoralized, but after the bomb goes off the first time all your guys are exhausted anyway, so Demoralized isn't going to generate much after that. Another option is just making sure I play Mount Doom when I move to Site 7, then use my siting event to make sure I never run into Cavern Entrance. That's where I could see Erland coming in handy, as I do seem to recall you getting me pretty close to corruption with those events.

Soaking up the twilight? My experience playing against these is they end up with something like 100 twilight in the pool even after they've played all their guys, plenty for Deep in Thought. And, of course, I run The Faithful Stone, so leaving no twilight is not really a viable option.

As far as Balin Avenged, I have yet to encounter that card in expanded. But my guess is that it would significantly hurt this deck.

I'm surprised the Dwarf players don't use it!

I'm also curious as to how well your deck fairs against smaller choke fellowships (like Dwarfs). They don't have much vitality to begin with, and don't offer the extra twilight you get from 6+ companions. Does it still work?

March 31, 2014, 04:27:00 PM
Reply #4

xXx

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
Yeah, I've debated whether or not to add Erland to my Expanded deck, but so far I don't quite feel the need. He IS in my Open deck, to counter Palantir of Orthanc.

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much. How does your Madril deck hold up in Open format? I've found it's very difficult to win in that format because everything is crazy! Although I'd be game for an Open Tournament just for kicks to really see what the BEST deck would possibly look like with all those combos!

Eh... I would say there are basically two kinds of decks: The first, is a deck that relies upon some type of trick or gimmick, the element of surprise. Winning is dependent upon either your opponent not knowing what the trick is, or simply being unable to prepare to counter it. Another example of this type of deck, are those annoying Little Snuffler decks that try to direct wound the Ringbearer by Site 3, and then turn to pudding after that if they fail.

Yeah both of our decks have some elements of surprise and familiarity depending on who we are playing. I think that familiarity with any deck changes the game for both players significantly in at least understanding how to prepare and counter instead of just "playing" their decks like normal.

Part of your strategy involves discarding a bunch of your Shadow cards into the discard pile. Your opponent has until Site 6 to look at those cards you're discarding and figure out... hmmm! This guy is setting up an Orc bomb! It's not like Orc Culture has much variety in strategies.

Hmm…I would say that the few times I've beaten you with this deck you were aware of me dumping cards and what was kind of happening and failed to counter that by simply "playing" your deck like normal. And I would say that  [Orc] culture has a lot of variety depending on how it's played (I have options to corrupt or swarm). The real strategy for me lies in knowing when to play or hold certain cards to make the bomb as effective as possible. There were several times I lost games I could have won going back because I didn't plan right. What makes it fun for me is having an awesome free peoples filter to help set up a good swarm.

If it's an all-Gondor fellowship, that adds up to nobody. If it's me, I do have 5 non-Gondor companions in addition to my 4 Gondor guys, but if I really need to exert everybody, I can just play Neekerbreekers' Bog a couple of times.

I've been seeing less and less all  [Gondor] companion decks (especially since your deck is out there now haha). So Soldiers Cache doesn't really bother me, but it still makes things difficult with The Faithful Stone.

Another option is just making sure I play Mount Doom when I move to Site 7, then use my siting event to make sure I never run into Cavern Entrance. That's where I could see Erland coming in handy, as I do seem to recall you getting me pretty close to corruption with those events.

The thing about Mount Doom is that it can only affect one region, so I can go for a quick swarm at site 6 (unless Travelled Leader switches Mount Doom in last minute) or if it's already out in region 2 then I know to hold off until site 7. Either way it's a little tricky.

Soaking up the twilight? My experience playing against these is they end up with something like 100 twilight in the pool even after they've played all their guys, plenty for Deep in Thought. And, of course, I run The Faithful Stone, so leaving no twilight is not really a viable option.

Unless a player like you has both The Faithful Stone AND Deep in Thought, I have the freedom to control exactly how much twilight I need. Especially since Pitiless Orc and Rallying Orc have an optional effects when I use them. I can always get the pool under 4 tokens if I want.

I'm also curious as to how well your deck fairs against smaller choke fellowships (like Dwarfs). They don't have much vitality to begin with, and don't offer the extra twilight you get from 6+ companions. Does it still work?

It's hard to win against choke fellowships and I always have to wait until site 7 or 8 to get a decent amount of twilight in the pool. But Rallying Orc teamed with lurkers usually does the trick since Pitiless Orc becomes useless. I've also been thinking about adding Forced March but I'm not sure how effective it would be. But choke fellowships really do make it hard to win (for any shadow side)!

March 31, 2014, 09:15:52 PM
Reply #5

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 09:15:52 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much. How does your Madril deck hold up in Open format? I've found it's very difficult to win in that format because everything is crazy! Although I'd be game for an Open Tournament just for kicks to really see what the BEST deck would possibly look like with all those combos!

It holds up pretty well actually, possibly even better than Expanded. There are a few other additions of course, like The Shire Countryside, which can do crazy-#$&*@! things with Shadowfax, Greatest of the Mearas. But really, mostly when I play open, I don't see the REALLY crazy decks all that often. Mostly I see someone playing with a relatively normal deck, but with one or two X-ed cards that they really wanted to use, but couldn't use in Expanded. I haven't gone up against the super-crazy decks too often, so it might be I'd get my arse handed to me. Dunno!

Yeah both of our decks have some elements of surprise and familiarity depending on who we are playing. I think that familiarity with any deck changes the game for both players significantly in at least understanding how to prepare and counter instead of just "playing" their decks like normal.

The one element of surprise my deck does maintain, is it's difficult to predict or plan with the rainbow shadow I throw out. I often hear opponents say, "I don't understand your Shadow." Yeeeessss. :)

Hmm…I would say that the few times I've beaten you with this deck

Honestly I think you've beaten me more than I've beaten you, with this particular deck. But I think I'm getting better. ;) I also think a new addition to my deck, A New Light, could potentially disable you pretty brutally.

you were aware of me dumping cards and what was kind of happening and failed to counter that by simply "playing" your deck like normal.

Yeah, that was totally my fault for failing to pay attention to what you were dumping, and being too lazy to scroll back up the chat window and look. I definitely need to work on that. :) But still, in theory, a player should be able to figure out what you're doing pretty quickly by looking at what you're discarding.

And I would say that  [Orc] culture has a lot of variety depending on how it's played (I have options to corrupt or swarm).

You know what I mean. They have no archery, their condition and possession removal is weak, except for that one minion they only deal damage in skirmish, their corruption isn't too bad, but generally it must be paired with something else... and for those Orcs, swarm is definitely their strongest strategy. Occasionally I see those Dunland 2.0 guys played, but speaking for myself, they never seemed very effective to me.

I've been seeing less and less all  [Gondor] companion decks (especially since your deck is out there now haha).

lol. That's interesting, considering I really didn't do all that great in the last League!

So Soldiers Cache doesn't really bother me, but it still makes things difficult with The Faithful Stone.

A little bit. Faithful Stone is certainly not effective enough to stop the swarm, but it can force you to leave some twilight in for Deep in Thought. Plus I've got a Follower that adds 2, then there's various events that also add twilight in Maneuver.

The thing about Mount Doom is that it can only affect one region, so I can go for a quick swarm at site 6 (unless Travelled Leader switches Mount Doom in last minute) or if it's already out in region 2 then I know to hold off until site 7. Either way it's a little tricky.

Maybe the stars just haven't aligned yet, but I've never seen you try to drop the bomb on me at Site 6. Is my deck not conducive to getting bombed at 6 for some reason?

Unless a player like you has both The Faithful Stone AND Deep in Thought, I have the freedom to control exactly how much twilight I need. Especially since Pitiless Orc and Rallying Orc have an optional effects when I use them. I can always get the pool under 4 tokens if I want.

Nice. What about Traveler's Homestead? Or Namarie?

April 02, 2014, 08:59:34 AM
Reply #6

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
Could you post a replay?
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

April 02, 2014, 11:18:07 AM
Reply #7

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
He's got a replay in the OP. If you were talking to me, unfortunately we haven't played recently enough to still have a replay available in the Game History.