LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: What in your opinion is the best starter deck?  (Read 3680 times)

September 25, 2013, 07:07:55 PM
Read 3680 times

radiophoninc

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
What in your opinion is the best starter deck?
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »
Just for the sake of keeping this forum alive, I thought I'd ask another question.
What is your favorite starter deck?
In terms of playability, cards included etc.

I personally prefer Realms of the Elf-Lords Legolas starter. Just love that premium and also includes cards from my favourite set.
Guide the Wave, Control the Waters.

September 26, 2013, 12:45:00 PM
Reply #1

eomund

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: What in your opinion is the best starter deck?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
The Fellowship Deluxe starter will always have a soft spot for me since it was the first one I bought. It made me a very popular opponent when my friends and I first started playing because I was the only one with actual wound/burden tokens :)

September 26, 2013, 03:28:16 PM
Reply #2

dethwish07

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Not all who wander are lost
    • My Blog: The Archives of Minas Tirith
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »
I have a particular fondness for the Two Towers Aragorn Starter (the Theoden one is cool too). One of the big reasons was due to its inclusion of Ranger's Sword, Blade of Aragorn. A starter deck with weapons beyond the typical hobbit sword made me happy... Thematically, it was also really appealing due to be "The Three Hunters." Lastly, this was my first real exposure to Dunlendings, which I have always liked. Archery was a heavy part of my meta at the time, though, so without Hides, it made for many difficult games.

September 26, 2013, 04:18:05 PM
Reply #3

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »
Well my first set of cards was the RotEL Boromir starter,  which I now view as the worst deck ever made :)  I do like the FotR decks- Set 1 Gandalf has such a strong shadow, set 2 Gandalf has a really good fellowship and Aragorn seems to be a nice balance of decent fellowship and shadow.  Dare I say Gandalf from WotR block?  I would if it wasn't for Nelya killing the game.  I'll go for BoHD Legolas: having mumaks and all those elven bows is nice!  The promo is actually quite decent, and I feel is sorely underused, especially with Aegnor coming in set 10.

September 26, 2013, 06:11:06 PM
Reply #4

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »
For Sealed deck games, nothing beats the Aragorn TTT starter.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

April 13, 2014, 04:05:48 PM
Reply #5

samthehobbit

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »
Is the Borimir Bloodlines a good starter deck and good to get going playing some games? and the Arwen Bloodlines is that a good deck guys. Please Private message me or reply to this message, doesent alert me when i get replys.

many thanks Lotr folk.

April 29, 2014, 12:37:11 PM
Reply #6

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
Aragorn and Théoden TTT starters are definitely the ones I personally like the most. Played with them for a while with my brother, just playing over and over for hours before we got our hands on other cards.

After that, the Gandalf shadows deck, "the nazgul one" was quite a surprise, the shadow was pretty good and it was the first all nazgul starter. I would go with this one for best, and theoden TTT for favorite.

April 29, 2014, 02:48:47 PM
Reply #7

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
The trouble with the set 4 starters is that Aragorn kills Uruks as he's strength 12 with sword, but Rohan is stuck at strength 8 without pumps, so can only beat one minion in the deck.  (I'm going for the proper starters here, not the online versions.)  But then the Dunlandings die to the Legolas one from BoHD, being totally unable to survive to the skirmish phase and the Uruks from Theoden's deck do a number on those Elves.

I find that Gandalf vs Boromir in WotR is the best matchup.  Very evenly matched, with mind games for the Hobbits trying to waste all the Stragglers Tokens.  Get it right and you win, wrong and it's game over.  On the other side, even with Buckland Homestead (worst site ever after Steward's Tomb) messing up your conditions, Boromir can hold his own against the Nazgul, but it's not a piece of cake at all.

Merry vs Pippin from King block is fun, too!