LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: What is the BEST King Block Starter Deck?  (Read 6058 times)

August 13, 2014, 05:36:31 AM
Read 6058 times

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
What is the BEST King Block Starter Deck?
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:36:31 AM »
So this weekend I'm hosting the last in a series of Sealed tournaments in my play group, being King Block (Fellowship, and Towers before it). King, being the most expensive block out of all of movie, is the one that I'm the least familiar with, so I figured I would poll the forum to see what deck you guys think is best and why, so that we can play accordingly.

In addition to voting which is best overall, rank the decks in order of which you think are best to worst.

I have a feeling that both Mount Doom starters will be near the bottom (even I have a billion copies of them, and only find the Boromir RoTEL starter to be more worthless), but as to the others, what are the strengths and weaknesses, how do they rank, and if given 7 ROTK boosters, 4 MD boosters, a Siege of Gondor booster, and a Reflections booster, how do you think they would play out in building a deck for a multiplayer game?

I look forward to hearing your opinions.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:41:05 AM by thetimewarptrio »
If we're gonna play games, I'm gonna need a cup of coffee.

August 13, 2014, 06:11:11 AM
Reply #1

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Re: What is the BEST King Block Starter Deck?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:11:11 AM »
Don't discount Sam so hastily.  Those Uruks may well be the best shadow if you load Rank and File up early on.  Physical versions of the Eomer deck do not have Elite Riders, but the shadow is still very good.  The lack of the Elite Riders make the Aragorn deck viable, too as now it's unlikely a strength 10 companion will run wild among your predominantly strength 9 minions with no boosts.

I'll go with Eomer.  Orc Veteran and Orc Officer is such a good combo.  If you pull a Mordor Guard you have one of my favourite combos of all time.  Second Aragorn then Sam.  Merry's a decent pick, too, but I do not rank Pippin without those Mumakil. Frodo is just awful unless you are lucky with good pulls.

August 13, 2014, 06:34:21 AM
Reply #2

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:34:21 AM »
You might find some useful information and analysis in the thread "King Sealed League Strategies on Gemp":

http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,8827.0.html

...although those strategies are specific to a 3-series sealed league in the form it takes on Gemp, which adds a few additional cards into the mix, and uses the LOTR Online versions of the starter decks.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

August 13, 2014, 06:38:31 AM
Reply #3

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:38:31 AM »
You might find some useful information and analysis in the thread "King Sealed League Strategies on Gemp":

http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,8827.0.html

...although those strategies are specific to a 3-series sealed league in the form it takes on Gemp, which adds a few additional cards into the mix, and uses the LOTR Online versions of the starter decks.

Yeah, I read through that and was even part of the original discussion, but it didn't quite fit what I was looking for and seemed a bit off topic.....

The Sam starter I'm always a fan of, simply because of Great Elf Warrior tank. I like any number of Shire strats, it just seems that overall in the entirety of King block considering the few and far between Shire cards, banking on hobbits is tough.

Is Gandalf best used as a splash in King, or should he be somewhat built around (depending on what versions you get, I suppose)? It seems that the best ways to go overall involve Gondor/Rohan. Building an Elf/Dwarf/Shire or Gandalf deck seems tough, because you're going to need exactly the right cards.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:43:18 AM by thetimewarptrio »

August 13, 2014, 06:59:26 AM
Reply #4

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:59:26 AM »
uses the LOTR Online versions of the starter decks.

To my mind the online starters are almost unrecognisable to the physical cards.  Eomer's Fellowship is no longer untouchable without Elite Riders (but the token Gandalf is fun).  Merry loses most swarming potential with the loss of the Whelp.  Frodo doesn't even get Swept Away and Pippin loses Mumakil.  Only Aragorn and Sam retain their shape when going physical.  I'll still take Eomer, though.

August 18, 2014, 05:22:26 AM
Reply #5

thetimewarptrio

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 05:22:26 AM »
So in our game over the weekend.........my friend that got the Merry deck (sealed, with the Merry box as well), had all cards from the Pippin deck inside........

Nice, Decipher.

January 04, 2015, 02:10:08 AM
Reply #6

ramolnar

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 02:10:08 AM »
Mount Doom Sam. It has the best Ring protection package. Tale of the Great Ring is close to game-winning, since several starters have NO shadow skirmish events. Then there are also two Strength 4+ Sams. Offering 11 packs as you do, I should be able to pick up common companions to get to 8-9 bodies, with a little other support. The Uruks have swarmy potential, too.