LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Garrison and Fortress, two new mechanics from Gate Troll  (Read 5307 times)

September 23, 2008, 01:44:37 PM
Read 5307 times

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Garrison and Fortress, two new mechanics from Gate Troll
« on: September 23, 2008, 01:44:37 PM »
I designed these two mechanics a few weeks ago and finally get to hit you guys with them. They basically function on the idea of storing minions with the game text 'garrison' on conditions with the game text 'Fortress'  For example minion with garrison might have:
Garrison- [1] (to play, spot a Fortress and remove [1] to stack this minion on that Fortress)
or
Garrison- exert (to play, spot a Fortress and exert an [Sauron] minion to stack this minion on that Fortress)

And a condition with Fortress might have:
Fortress 2 (You may stack up to two minions with Garrison on this condition.)

So does anybody like the mechanics? I want some input so I don't go and create a bunch of DC's nobody likes.
Any criticism, comments and re-wordings would be appreciated.   

September 23, 2008, 04:49:24 PM
Reply #1

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: Garrison and Fortress, two new mechanics from Gate Troll
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »
well the keywords make sense...but I don't see how there really useful in their current form...obviously we need to see some DCs
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

September 23, 2008, 04:54:36 PM
Reply #2

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »
I exactly agree with SoP - the keywords themselves seem fine, but I need some reasons why you would want to garrison your fortresses. For that, DCs would be most helpful! :mrgreen:

Thranduil

September 24, 2008, 05:23:01 AM
Reply #3

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:23:01 AM »
[2] Barad-Dur Tracker [Sauron]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 6
Vitality; 2
Site: 6
Garrison- [1] Damage +1. Assignment: Play this minion for free from a fortress; it is strength +1 for each garrisoned minion you can spot (limit +3) until the regroup phase.

[2] Mordor Tower [Sauron]
Condition • Support Area
Fortress 2. Assignment or Regroup: Play a minion stacked here for free.

In answer to your questions, the reason you would use these abilities, it makes more room in your hand for possessions, companions, events, etc
and it has some nice advantages to grant, lots of minions, less roaming time, damage and strength bonuses.

For example, in the Shadow phase you would remove [2] to play Barad-dur Tracker, either normally, (which would not be advisable, as you would lose his ability) or on Mordor Fortress, for example in which case you would pay his Garrison penalty. In the Assignment phase, or the Regroup phase, not the shadow phase you can play them for free since their twilight cost has already been extracted. They then get assigned, and skirmish normally. Any questions?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:50:26 PM by Gate Troll »

September 24, 2008, 07:43:16 AM
Reply #4

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 07:43:16 AM »
Minion • Uruk-hai
Vitality; 2
Garrison- [1] Damage +1. Skirmish: If you played this minion from a Fortress he is strength +1 for
each minion stacked on a fortress you can spot (limit +3).

Condition • Support Area
Fortress 2. Minions stacked here are not roaming.

In answer to your questions, the reason you would use these abilities, it makes more room in your hand for possessions, companions, events, etc
and it has some nice advantages to grant, lots of minions, less roaming time, damage and strength bonuses.

For example, in the Shadow phase you would remove [2] to play Barad-dur Tracker, either normally, (which would not be advisable, as you would lose his ability) or on Mordor Fortress, for example in which case you would pay his Garrison penalty. In the Assignment phase, or the Regroup phase, not the shadow phase you can play them for free since their twilight cost has already been extracted. They then get assigned, and skirmish normally. Any questions?
Ah, I wasn't clear that minions could be played from fortresses like that. I would do 1 or 2 of 2 things to make it clear:

1) Have abilities on garrisons which play them from fortresses (eg. your Barad-Dur Tracker could be: "Assignment: Play this minion for free from a fortress; it is strength +1 for each garrisoned minion you can spot (limit +3) until the regroup phase" - I used "garrisoned" for a streamlined way of referring to minions stacked on fortresses, but you can do whatever you like with that).

2) Have abilities on fortresses which play minions stacked there (eg. the Mordor Tower could have: "Assignment or Regroup: Play a minion stacked here for free.")

One or both of those approaches would, I think, prevent people like me from misunderstanding your mechanics!

I'm also not clear what it means on the Mordor Tower that minions stacked on it are not roaming: they can't be roaming, because they're not really in play, and when you play them from the fortress you don't pay roaming penalties anyway. Perhaps you could tell me what your intentions were.

Thranduil

September 24, 2008, 08:30:26 AM
Reply #5

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:30:26 AM »
Also, you either have to reword Fortress to include that minions may be played from it as from hand during the Shadown phase, or give each of them an ability allowing you to play a minion stacked on them.

September 26, 2008, 07:52:13 PM
Reply #6

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
Minion • Uruk-hai
Vitality; 2
Garrison- [1] Damage +1. Skirmish: If you played this minion from a Fortress he is strength +1 for

Condition • Support Area

Ah, I wasn't clear that minions could be played from fortresses like that. I would do 1 or 2 of 2 things to make it clear:

1) Have abilities on garrisons which play them from fortresses (eg. your Barad-Dur Tracker could be: "Assignment: Play this minion for free from a fortress; it is strength +1 for each garrisoned minion you can spot (limit +3) until the regroup phase" - I used "garrisoned" for a streamlined way of referring to minions stacked on fortresses, but you can do whatever you like with that).

2) Have abilities on fortresses which play minions stacked there (eg. the Mordor Tower could have: "Assignment or Regroup: Play a minion stacked here for free.")

One or both of those approaches would, I think, prevent people like me from misunderstanding your mechanics!

I'm also not clear what it means on the Mordor Tower that minions stacked on it are not roaming: they can't be roaming, because they're not really in play, and when you play them from the fortress you don't pay roaming penalties anyway. Perhaps you could tell me what your intentions were.

Thranduil

About my intentions for the roaming ability: I thought about having them pay roaming penalties after they were stacked on a Fortress. Thanks and :gp: for the help.

[5] Barad-Dur Sentry [Sauron]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 10
Vitality: 2
Garrison. Assignment: Play this minion from a Fortress to add [2].

[2] Barad-Dur Sniper [Sauron]
Minion • Orc
Garrison. Assignment: Play this minion from a Fortress and do one of the following (add a threat, remove [2] or remove a burden) to make the Free peoples player wound a companion.

(0) Nurn Guardtower [Sauron]
Condition • Support Area
Fortress 1. To play spot three [Sauron] minions.

[1] Barad-Dur Scimitar [Sauron]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength: +1
Shadow: If bearer is stacked on a Fortress, bearer is strength +1 and Damage +1
until the Regroup phase.

[3] Loopholes [Sauron]
Event • Skirmish
Spot an minion with Archer. and a Fortress to wound a companion.

[5] Great Fortress [Sauron]
Fortress 5. Toil 1. Assignment or Regroup: play a minion stacked here for free.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:12:49 PM by Gate Troll »

September 27, 2008, 01:16:56 PM
Reply #7

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 01:16:56 PM »
Minion • Uruk-hai
I think you need to specify "Play this minion for free from a Fortress to add [2]." He doesn't have a garrison cost. Is this intentional?

Minion • Orc
Garrison. Assignment: Play this minion from a Fortress and do one of the following (add a threat, remove [2] or remove a burden) to make the Free peoples player wound a companion.
Do you mean "remove a threat"? The way I think I would word this would be something like: "Play this minion for free from a Fortress and pay one of the following costs to make the Free Peoples player wound a companion: remove a threat; remove [2]; or remove a burden." Certainly there should be colon/semi-colon thing going on here, but it's tricky as it has never been done before. I might make this into a cycle of Common/Uncommon/Rare each with one of those. Also no Garrison cost.

Condition • Support Area
So this one can't play minions by itself?

Possession • Hand Weapon
until the Regroup phase.
This can't be a special ability or needs a limit of once per turn: currently it grants infinite strength and infinite damage. You also need to clarify to what extent a garrisoned card is in play because you normally can't spot or play things on stacked cards.

[3] Loopholes [Sauron]
Event • Skirmish
Was there supposed to be a [Sauron] culture symbol in there? If not, I think there probably should be. I think it could be [2].

Fair enough. One thing that needs clarifying is: can you exert garrisoned minions, to pay this card's toil for example?

Thranduil

September 28, 2008, 04:09:19 PM
Reply #8

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »
Minion • Uruk-hai
Vitality; 2

Condition • Support Area

Thranduil

About my intentions for the roaming ability: I thought about having them pay roaming penalties after they were stacked on a Fortress. Thanks and :gp: for the help.

Minion • Uruk-hai
sure

Minion • Orc
[b  : after following, no parentheses maybe just wound a minion without them...][/b]

Condition • Support Area
maybe 2 minions and cost 1

Possession • Hand Weapon
until the Regroup phase.
maybe if bearer is played from a fortress.

[3] Loopholes [Sauron]
Event • Skirmish
cut to 2.

fine.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

October 02, 2008, 07:42:05 AM
Reply #9

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 07:42:05 AM »
I think Thran and SoP have this pretty well covered. Tweak 'em a bit, and I'll be happy to add a review for those. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".