LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: More Virtual Cards (Cruel Caradhras, take II)  (Read 189605 times)

May 28, 2008, 04:39:26 AM
Reply #120

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: More Virtual Cards (Questions That Need Answering)
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2008, 04:39:26 AM »
They discard your conditions, but you can discard minions!

Now some more cards in the leagues of those themes above.

[1] What Are They? (V) [Gondor]
Event • Maneuver
Spot a [Gondor] Man to make each Shadow player heal a minion. Then heal the same number of companions.
"'They were men… once.'"
1 V 119

Much better.

[4]Aragorn, Ranger of the North (V) [Gondor]
Companion • Man
Str: 8
Vit: 4
Res: 6
Defender +1. Fellowship. Ranger.
Aragorn cannot be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
"'Lonely men we are, Ranger of the wild hunters - but ever hunters of the servants of the Enemy…'"
1 V 89

Hmm me thinks a bit too good. Look at heir of elendil from towers. He gets no addtional gametext cos hes defender +1 and a ranger. Giving him boromir log text is soooo awesome i cant see how this isnt the gorn of choice everytime!

Thranduil
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

May 28, 2008, 04:46:02 AM
Reply #121

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: More Virtual Cards (Change of Plans)
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2008, 04:46:02 AM »
Heir of Elendil is unfortunately a rubbish card. Looks good on paper, but no reason to use him over Aragorn, Ranger of the North, or Thorongil. How does Heir to the Throne of Gondor compare with Aragorn, Heir of Elendil, for example? And mine only has resistance 6!

Oh, and Heir of Elendil isn't a ranger. His only redeeming feature is that he has the gandalf signet, but for that I'd prefer to use Aragorn, Driven By Need.

Thranduil
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:50:03 AM by Thranduil »

May 28, 2008, 05:15:26 AM
Reply #122

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2008, 05:15:26 AM »
O oops my mistake in that case ignore all the ramblings of an idiot, good card!

May 28, 2008, 07:31:23 AM
Reply #123

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: More Virtual Cards (Questions That Need Answering)
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2008, 07:31:23 AM »
Quote from: Thranduil
[1] What Are They? (V) [Gondor]
Event • Maneuver
Spot a [Gondor] Man to make each Shadow player heal a minion. Then heal the same number of companions.
"'They were men… once.'"
1 V 119

Much better after the rewrite.

(0) Change of Plans (V) [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 2 [Gondor] companions.
At the end of each phase, each player must shuffle their hand into their draw deck and draw 8 cards.
Discard this condition at the start of the regroup phase.
"'Then let me help you. There are other ways, Frodo - other paths we might take.'"
1 V 99

Yuck. I can't see myself ever using this. I GUESS it's balanced, but...YUCK.

[4]Aragorn, Ranger of the North (V) [Gondor]
Companion • Man
Str: 8
Defender +1. Fellowship. Ranger.
Aragorn cannot be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
"'Lonely men we are, Ranger of the wild hunters - but ever hunters of the servants of the Enemy…'"
1 V 89

He's TOO amazing at what he does. I'd still make the defender conditional, even if it's the same way the original did it.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

May 28, 2008, 07:40:54 AM
Reply #124

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2008, 07:40:54 AM »
I think your RotN should have defender +1 conditionally, eg. at the start of the maneuver phase you may exert Aragorn to make him defender +1. Still useful and different from the original.

Anvar
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

May 28, 2008, 08:51:24 AM
Reply #125

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »
Okay, I have changed the Aragorn. Aragorn with resistance 8 has always bothered me as it's too good for his high strength and good abilities, and there's no way that he should have more resistance than Gandalf. But never mind...

Now for some more fellowship companions following the cycle of 'guys that do what they do best'!

[2]Gimli, Dwarf of Erebor (V) [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 6
Vit: 3
Damage +1. Fellowship.
Gimli may bear up to 2 hand weapons.
Regroup: Exert Gimli to play a [Dwarven] hand weapon on him from hand.
"Gimli now walked ahead of the wizard's side, so eager was he to come to Moria."
1 V 12

[2]Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood (V) [Elven]
Companion • Elf
Archer. Fellowship.
While Legolas bears a ranged weapon, each minion he is skirmishing is strength -1.
Skirmish: Exert Legolas to play an [Elven] ranged weapon on him from your hand.
"There was also a strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas, a messenger from his father, Thranduil, the King of the Elves of Northern Mirkwood."
1 V 51

[3]Boromir, Lord of Gondor (V) [Gondor]
Companion • Man
Str: 7
Res: 5
Fellowship. Valiant.
While you can spot 5 fellowship companions, Boromir may take no more than 1 wound in a skirmish.
Skirmish: If Boromir is not assigned to a skirmish, exert him to have him replace a fellowship companion in a skirmish.
"'… Boromir will also be in the Company. He is a valiant man.'"
1 V 96

A note on that Boromir, I was reading the lore text and it said 'He is a valiant man', and I was thinking: 'Wait, no he isn't!' But now he is! :mrgreen:

Thranduil
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:36:00 PM by Thranduil »

May 28, 2008, 12:02:33 PM
Reply #126

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: More Virtual Cards (Some Fellowship Companions)
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2008, 12:02:33 PM »
Okay, I have changed the Aragorn. Aragorn with resistance 8 has always bothered me as it's too good for his high strength and good abilities, and there's no way that he should have more resistance than Gandalf. But never mind...

Now for some more fellowship companions following the cycle of 'guys that do what they do best'!

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Fellowship.
Regroup: Exert Gimli to play a hand weapon on him from hand.
"Gimli now walked ahead of the wizard's side, so eager was he to come to Moria."
1 V 12
again skirmish maybe?

Companion • Elf
Archer. Fellowship.
While Legolas bears a ranged weapon, each minion he is skirmishing is strength -2.
Regroup: Exert Legolas to play a ranged weapon on him from your hand.
"There was also a strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas, a messenger from his father, Thranduil, the King of the Elves of Northern Mirkwood."
1 V 51
fine by me...it doesn't seem like it would really be worth the exertion though...maybe change it to skirmish  :hey:

Companion • Man
Fellowship. Valiant.
While you can spot 5 fellowship companions, Boromir may take no more than 1 wound in a skirmish.
Skirmish: If Boromir is unassigned, exert him to replace a fellowship companion in a skirmish.
1 V 96l
nice maybe or unbound hobbit.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

May 28, 2008, 12:12:02 PM
Reply #127

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2008, 12:12:02 PM »
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Fellowship.
Regroup: Exert Gimli to play a hand weapon on him from hand.
1 V 12

Here's a comment you won't hear elsewhere...watch the direction your quotation marks are facing in the lore. :P I have a Gimli very similar to this one, though he lacks the regroup ability. I think this is fine, though I'd limit that ability to [Dwarven] hand weapons.

Companion • Elf
Archer. Fellowship.
While Legolas bears a ranged weapon, each minion he is skirmishing is strength -2.
Regroup: Exert Legolas to play a ranged weapon on him from your hand.
1 V 51

Ooof...kind of harsh. Perhaps make minions -1 for each wound instead? Then it could potentially be even better than -2, and ties in better with archery. Switching the ability from regroup to skirmish (as SoP suggests) might not be a bad thing here, since I can't think of any [Elven] ranged weapons that could abuse being pulled out of thin air that late in the turn. I would NOT do that with Gimli, though. *shudder*

Companion • Man
Fellowship. Valiant.
Skirmish: If Boromir is unassigned, exert him to replace a fellowship companion in a skirmish.
1 V 96

"...exert him to have him replace....". The ambiguity without those critical words is no good. I also think it should be "not assigned to a skirmish" rather than simply "unassigned". Wordiness is sometimes a bad thing, but with LOTR TCG cards, it's often necessary.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:17:15 PM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

May 28, 2008, 12:29:44 PM
Reply #128

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »
Here's a comment you won't hear elsewhere...watch the direction your quotation marks are facing in the lore. :P
Here's a response you won't often hear: that has been bugging me for ages! The problem is I put the [ i ] in the document, and then the program automatically decides that the following quotation marks should be facing the wrong direction! So, not my fault! :clown:

Other problems amended as suggested.

Thranduil
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:31:58 PM by Thranduil »

May 28, 2008, 01:24:31 PM
Reply #129

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: More Virtual Cards (Some Fellowship Companions)
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2008, 01:24:31 PM »
Personally, I still think Legolas' blanket -2 thing is OP. Yes, it requires a ranged weapon, and I applaud the effort to make the FP player work for it a little bit. But after that, he's just too good. Again, I'd recommend making it -1 per wound, which I think ties it in very nicely with his archery, or do something else to nerf it a bit.
Best regards,
Dáin

May 29, 2008, 01:20:05 AM
Reply #130

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2008, 01:20:05 AM »

What??? Gandalf was terrified of taking the ring, Aragorn just said no thanks you keep it. How do you work that out?? Gorn should have more resistance than most particularly Gandy!

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Fellowship.
Regroup: Exert Gimli to play a [Dwarven] hand weapon on him from hand.
1 V 12

Erm seems ok, not a big fan of it though.

Companion • Elf
Archer. Fellowship.
While Legolas bears a ranged weapon, each minion he is skirmishing is strength -1.
Skirmish: Exert Legolas to play an [Elven] ranged weapon on him from your hand.
1 V 51

Hmmm ok.

Companion • Man
Fellowship. Valiant.
Skirmish: If Boromir is not assigned to a skirmish, exert him to have him replace a fellowship companion in a skirmish.
1 V 96

In EACH skirmish not a. And also him jumping into the RBs skirmish is too good.

Thranduil

May 29, 2008, 02:22:11 AM
Reply #131

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: More Virtual Cards (Fellowship Companions)
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2008, 02:22:11 AM »
What??? Gandalf was terrified of taking the ring, Aragorn just said no thanks you keep it. How do you work that out?? Gorn should have more resistance than most particularly Gandy!
Except that Gandalf in the end orchestrated the destruction of the Ring, despite temptation, and Frodo offered it to Gandalf much more strongly than to Aragorn. And Aragorn is also terrified of the Ring as Isildur's Bane, being the Heir of Isildur and all.

And also him jumping into the RBs skirmish is too good.
Currently this is only possible if your Ring-bearer is Frodo, and this will remain for I do not intend to make Virtual versions of any ARB.

And let's continue with our fellowship companions. Here's a card that I once posted on the Never-ending Chain (in fact, you'll notice there are quite a lot of my virtual cards on there!):

[4]Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk (V) [Gandalf]
Companion • Wizard
Fellowship.
Gandalf's twilight cost is -1 for each Hobbit you can spot.
"'Among the Wise I am the only one that goes in for Hobbit-lore; an obscure branch of knowledge, but full of surprises.'"
1 V 72

(0)Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir (V) [Shire]
Companion • Hobbit
Str: 3
(Res): 10
Fellowship. Ring-bearer.
Unless Frodo is exhausted, each tale and pipeweed's twilight cost is -1.
"'But be that as it may, Mr. Frodo is as nice a young hobbit as you could wish to meet.'"
1 V 289

Thranduil
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:27:39 AM by Thranduil »

May 29, 2008, 02:44:13 AM
Reply #132

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2008, 02:44:13 AM »
Except that Gandalf in the end orchestrated the destruction of the Ring, despite temptation, and Frodo offered it to Gandalf much more strongly than to Aragorn. And Aragorn is also terrified of the Ring as Isildur's Bane, being the Heir of Isildur and all.

The cards Decipher make (and consequently the ones you virtual-ise) are based on the films. Based on the films, gandalf was no better at his test of the ring than Aragorn then it was upto Frodo (and Sam) not either of them, neither orchestrated anything from anduin onwards. Gorn should be at least as resistant as Gandy.

And also him jumping into the RBs skirmish is too good.
Currently this is only possible if your Ring-bearer is Frodo, and this will remain for I do not intend to make Virtual versions of any ARB.

Fair enough.

Companion • Wizard
Fellowship.
"'Among the Wise I am the only one that goes in for Hobbit-lore; an obscure branch of knowledge, but full of surprises.'"
1 V 72

Wow 4 companion starting with 3 hobbits. Cool.

Companion • Hobbit
Fellowship. Ring-bearer.
"'But be that as it may, Mr. Frodo is as nice a young hobbit as you could wish to meet.'"
1 V 289

meh.

Thranduil

May 29, 2008, 06:51:42 AM
Reply #133

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2008, 06:51:42 AM »
And let's continue with our fellowship companions. Here's a card that I once posted on the Never-ending Chain (in fact, you'll notice there are quite a lot of my virtual cards on there!):

Yeah, I post many cards from my sets in that chain as well. :roll:

Companion • Wizard
Fellowship.
1 V 72

Hmmm. Obviously he's great with Hobbits, though I really like the old version. It's fine, just not one I would have replaced, personally.

Companion • Hobbit
Fellowship. Ring-bearer.
1 V 289

Probably should be "While Frodo is not exhausted...". Alright beyond that.
Best regards,
Dáin

May 29, 2008, 07:02:37 AM
Reply #134

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2008, 07:02:37 AM »
Hmmm. Obviously he's great with Hobbits, though I really like the old version. It's fine, just not one I would have replaced, personally.
That's a key point, and I'm glad I can address it.

Virtual cards do not replace their originals. If you wanted to in a deck, you could use a mixture of virtual and non-virtual cards, or even virtual and non-virtual versions of the same card - so there would be nothing stopping you using a copy of Friend of the Shirefolk (V) in your starting fellowship, then play Friend of the Shirefolk original using Sent Back afterwards. As long as you don't breach the rule of 4 and uniqueness restrictions, you can mix and match these virtual cards with originals as much as you like.

Thranduil