LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: More Virtual Cards (Cruel Caradhras, take II)  (Read 189612 times)

June 16, 2008, 04:19:20 PM
Reply #255

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: More Virtual Cards (Gandalf's Support)
« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
Since a follower can potentially bear this, might be better to make the vitality bonus conditional on if he is a companion. Nifty otherwise, though.
I was thinking that a vitality bonus on a follower would simply have no effect (because followers don't have vitality) and so I left that phrase out. Obviously, I have no clue what the rules are in this case, because there aren't any!

Thranduil
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:21:39 PM by Thranduil »

June 16, 2008, 04:42:11 PM
Reply #256

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #256 on: June 16, 2008, 04:42:11 PM »
[2] Unknown Perils (V) [Gandalf]
Condition • Support Area
Each time a minion is played, you may spot Gandalf and add [2] to add a [Gandalf] token here.
Regroup: Remove X tokens from this condition and spot Gandalf to make a Shadow player discard their minion, where X is the current region number.
"Suddenly he stopped as if listening. Frodo became aware that all was very quiet, inside and outside."
3 V 36
fine I guess...

[2] Trust Me As You Once Did (V) [Gandalf]
Event • Regroup
Spot Gandalf to heal each Hobbit or each other fellowship companion.
"'Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks! I am not trying to rob you. I am trying to help you.'"
3 V 35
fine

(0)Narya (V) [Gandalf]
Artifact • Ring
Vit: +1
Bearer must be Gandalf (even if he is a follower).
Each time the fellowship moves to a site with a Shadow number of 2 or higher, you may make a Shadow player discard their condition.
"'For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill.'"
3 V 34
does the even if he is a followers clause necessary? hum...maybe add a threat to make them? IDK
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

June 17, 2008, 02:09:54 AM
Reply #257

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2008, 02:09:54 AM »
does the even if he is a followers clause necessary? hum...maybe add a threat to make them? IDK
The follower clause is necessary because it is a very clear rule that followers cannot bear cards, so unless a card specifically says a follower can bear it, a follower cannot bear it. I'm not sure I understand your second point, though.

Thranduil

June 17, 2008, 09:26:14 AM
Reply #258

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
I was in 10 second review mode...I meant add a threat or add 1 to make them discard a condition. sumtin like dat.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

June 17, 2008, 09:57:13 AM
Reply #259

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »
I was in 10 second review mode...I meant add a threat or add 1 to make them discard a condition. sumtin like dat.
I see what you're saying, but what I figured is that moving to a high twilight cost site is already a disadvantage to you.

These are the final 3 [Gandalf] cards, and so when you review, why don't you also choose one of the following themes to explore in future posts:

1) Fellowship
2) Pipeweed
3) Tales
4) Dwarven
5) Elven
6) Gondor
7) Shire

[2] Durin's Secret (V) [Gandalf]
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
To play, spot Gandalf.
When you play this, you may spot a Dwarf to draw a card.
Fellowship or Regroup: Spot Gandalf to play the fellowship's next site. Discard this condition.
"'They are wrought of ithildin that mirrors only starlight and moonlight, and sleeps until it is touched by one who speaks words now long forgotten in Middle-earth.'"
1 V 71

[3] Sleep, Caradhras (V) [Gandalf]
Event • Regroup
Spell.
Spot Gandalf to discard up to 3 spell, weather or search cards.
"'Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i ruith.'"
1 V 84

Note on this one: this ability is partly assuming that as I go through the fellowship (and later) block cards, I'll be making a bigger deal of such unloaded keywords.

(0) Let Folly Be Our Cloak (V) [Gandalf]
Event • Fellowship
Stealth.
Exert Gandalf to discard a condition or liberate a site.
"'Into his heart the thought will not enter that any will refuse it, that having the Ring we may seek to destroy it.'"
1 V 77
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:39:04 AM by Thranduil »

June 17, 2008, 10:07:01 AM
Reply #260

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2008, 10:07:01 AM »
Quote from: Thranduil
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
Fellowship or Regroup: Spot Gandalf to play the fellowship's next site. Discard this condition.
"'They are wrought of ithilden that mirrors only starlight and moonlight, and sleeps until it is touched by one who speaks words now long forgotten in Middle-earth.'"
1 V 71

I'd require spotting Gandalf or at least a [Gandalf] companion to play it in the first place, but it's fine other than that.

Event • Regroup
Spell.
1 V 84

Nifty. Hard to judge without seeing your cards with those keywords, but probably fine.

Event • Regroup
Stealth.
"'Into his heart the thought will not enter that any will refuse it, that having the Ring we may seek to destroy it.'"
1 V 77

Kind of powerful...I'd make it a fellowship event, like the original.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

June 17, 2008, 10:48:53 AM
Reply #261

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »

2) Pipeweed

Condition • Support Area
Tale.
To play, spot Gandalf.
"'They are wrought of ithilden that mirrors only starlight and moonlight, and sleeps until it is touched by one who speaks words now long forgotten in Middle-earth.'"
1 V 71
ithilden? whats that? cut cost to 1 IMSO oh wait these are virtual cards...meh oh well

Event • Regroup
Spell.
1 V 84
fine

Event • Fellowship
Stealth.
1 V 77
maybe 2 conditions or liberate 1 site.
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

June 17, 2008, 10:57:34 AM
Reply #262

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #262 on: June 17, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »
ithilden? whats that? cut cost to 1 IMSO oh wait these are virtual cards...meh oh well
Ithilden is moon-letters. Well rather than saying 'meh', what would you suggest to make the card more worth the [2] cost it's got to be? ;)

Thranduil

June 17, 2008, 06:58:51 PM
Reply #263

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #263 on: June 17, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
To play, spot Gandalf.
1 V 71
Should be "ithildin", not "ithilden". Seems like a decent card to me. Pathfinding is a nice utility for [Gandalf], and because you can use it at any time, it's bound to cost more. The bonus for spotting a dwarf is nice.
Event • Regroup
Spell.
1 V 84
That should be cool, once you introduce those keywords more. Nice card. Although on second glance, it pales in comparison to its older counterpart. Not only is it a regroup-phase card, but it also only targets three cards.
Event • Fellowship
Stealth.
1 V 77
Pretty simple, it works.

I'd be interested to see more "Fellowship".

June 18, 2008, 02:47:19 AM
Reply #264

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2008, 02:47:19 AM »
Man have the last 2 days been boring - not a single post in the Chamber of Marzarbul! :o
Yeah, I'm in the final week of my master's...busier than ever. Where's lem0n, though?

Hey fruit gets rotten sometimes! Ive had a bad case of sour lemon.... head! Citrus juice EVERYwhere!  :-X Sorry Thran i dont feel like reviewing all the cards ive missed im too tired! Ill just carry on....

3) Tales

Condition • Support Area
Tale.
To play, spot Gandalf.
1 V 71

Yeah this is well not worth 2, add something else to justify it. Maybe expand on the card drawing thing, or go with healing, or next 2 sites. Who knows?!  :P

Event • Regroup
Spell.
1 V 84

As its phrased does this allow the discard of a combination of those 3 types, such as 2 spells and a search?

Event • Fellowship
Stealth.
1 V 77

Im not sure gandalf should have site liberation. Hows he gonna do that on his own? Nah the condition part is fine on its own.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:49:47 AM by lem0nhead »
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

June 18, 2008, 03:27:23 AM
Reply #265

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2008, 03:27:23 AM »
Hey fruit gets rotten sometimes! Ive had a bad case of sour lemon.... head! Citrus juice EVERYwhere!  :-X Sorry Thran i dont feel like reviewing all the cards ive missed im too tired! Ill just carry on....
I wasn't expecting you to! ;)

As its phrased does this allow the discard of a combination of those 3 types, such as 2 spells and a search?
I think it does, yes.

Im not sure gandalf should have site liberation. Hows he gonna do that on his own? Nah the condition part is fine on its own.
I disagree: Gandalf should definitely have site liberation of all the characters and cultures in LotR. For example, it is him and ultimately only him that defeats the Uruk-hai at the Battle of Helm's Deep by mustering Erkenbrand's Rohirrim and rousing the Huorns from Fangorn. And the way he prevents the Witch-King from taking Minas Tirith.

That should be cool, once you introduce those keywords more. Nice card. Although on second glance, it pales in comparison to its older counterpart. Not only is it a regroup-phase card, but it also only targets three cards.
The reason I didn't want to make a card that discards all conditions is because Decipher rightly moved away from such cards after Towers block. And I think regroup is also an advantage in some respects. Would it be better as a maneuver event?

Thranduil

June 18, 2008, 03:50:45 AM
Reply #266

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #266 on: June 18, 2008, 03:50:45 AM »
Hmmm, ok he mustered the rohhirim but it was the thousand spears of the rohan warriors that liberated helms deep not gandalf. And when he faced the wikkie he got pwned.

Gandalf shouldnt have site liberation.

June 18, 2008, 04:25:26 AM
Reply #267

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2008, 04:25:26 AM »
Hmmm, ok he mustered the rohhirim but it was the thousand spears of the rohan warriors that liberated helms deep not gandalf. And when he faced the wikkie he got pwned.
Only in the film. And those rohirrim wouldn't have been at Helm's Deep if not for Gandalf.

Anyway, with 3 votes I got tales, fellowship and pipeweed. Luckily, they are somewhat intertwined - as exemplified by this Frodo which we've already seen:

(0)Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir (V) [Shire]
Companion • Hobbit
Str: 3
Vit: 4
(Res): 10
Fellowship. Ring-bearer.
While Frodo is not exhausted, each tale and pipeweed's twilight cost is -1.
"'But be that as it may, Mr. Frodo is as nice a young hobbit as you could wish to meet.'"
1 V 289

So I'm going to start with some pipeweed/fellowship stuff.

So let's continue this pipeweed/fellowship combo (I'm sure it's no coincidence at all that most of the Fellowship of the Ring, and therefore the saviours of Middle-earth, smoke pipes ;) ). One thing that Rise of Saruman did was take the pipes out of the pipeweed. So here is a rethought introduction of those mighty receptacles that facilitate the smoking of our beloved weed.

We've already seen this card:

(0)Gandalf's Pipe (V) [Gandalf]
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Gandalf.
Skirmish: Discard a pipeweed card from play to make a fellowship companion strength +2.
"'I know what is the matter with me,' he muttered, as he sat down by the door. ‘I need smoke!'"
1 V 74

And I've also justified it that despite that it may not make the most sense in the world, cards like that need to be there for pipeweed to work as a strategy as Decipher worked out for Rise of Saruman.

And now 2 new pipes which you would very likely use in a fellowship environment:

[1]Aragorn's Pipe (V) [Gondor]
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Aragorn.
Maneuver: Discard a pipeweed from play to heal a fellowship companion.
"He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved."
1 V 91

[1]Gimli's Pipe (V) [Dwarven]
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Gimli.
Fellowship: Exert Gimli to take into hand a pipeweed from your discard pile.
"'And certainly it was from Bree that the art of smoking the genuine weed spread in the recent centuries among Dwarves and other folk…'"
3 V 2
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:29:02 AM by Thranduil »

June 18, 2008, 05:24:17 AM
Reply #268

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #268 on: June 18, 2008, 05:24:17 AM »

Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Aragorn.
"He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved."
1 V 91

Sound enough as long as the pipeweeds themselves arent amazing. Getting a good double bonus from them might be OP as a tactic.

Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Gimli.
"'And certainly it was from Bree that the art of smoking the genuine weed spread in the recent centuries among Dwarves and other folk…'"
3 V 2

Sound, but could cost 0 if it wasnt (V). Maybe res +1?

June 18, 2008, 10:37:39 AM
Reply #269

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #269 on: June 18, 2008, 10:37:39 AM »
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Aragorn.
1 V 91

Good enough for me.

Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be Gimli.
3 V 2

I respectfully disagree with my fruity colleague...I think this is plenty powerful as is. I have no problem with resistance bonuses on certain pipes, but not this one. Good as is.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".