LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Thranduil's Virtual DC Contest - (Final Count)  (Read 43087 times)

June 01, 2008, 10:06:56 PM
Reply #45

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
Re: Thranduil's Virtual DC Contest - (Starting Round 9!)
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 10:06:56 PM »
Should the cards still be about the same character?

June 02, 2008, 02:05:13 AM
Reply #46

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: Thranduil's Virtual DC Contest - (Starting Round 8!)
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2008, 02:05:13 AM »

Clearly, they are all rubbish cards (except for Terrible as the Dawn which was amazing for the brief period in between the release of Lady Redeemed and her X-ing) and need serious redoing - for good reason, Decipher just didn't make cards like these anymore.

I disagree with that on terrible as the dawn and such a little thing, theyre not amazing, but theyre certainly useful against ARBS.

And don't worry, I only want you to make virtual versions of 2 of the above cards (your choice which).

4) Have a different text, maybe similar, but could also be on completely different lines *IN FACT: I expect them on different lines - I don't want cards that are magic bullets against certain characters or cultures or anything else. The two cards that you design should be based on the same idea, as the basis of a whole Shadow cycle, and they should try to update these old cultures with new mechanics like: threats, site control, resistance, initiative, lurkers etc. Basically, strategy and mechanics this round are entirely up to you.

So the basically the fact youve chosen these particular cards are largely irrelevant, except the tenuous shadow cycle thing, as you want us to make something completely new? Its just im struggling to get your intentions here mate.

Oh yeah, and the deadline will be a bit extended both because this could be quite a difficult (and pivotal) round

Why pivotal?

Thranduil
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

June 02, 2008, 02:56:18 AM
Reply #47

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Thranduil's Virtual DC Contest - (Starting Round 8!)
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2008, 02:56:18 AM »
So the basically the fact youve chosen these particular cards are largely irrelevant, except the tenuous shadow cycle thing, as you want us to make something completely new? Its just im struggling to get your intentions here mate.
Well, they are pretty cool titles! ;) And the titles also fit into a tight cycle. Like I made cards with exclamations as titles (like What are We Waiting for?, What Are They?, Curse Their Foul Feet!) into a cycle in my Virtual thread, we have a similar concept here - similar thematic titles that deserve to be in a cycle, but a better one than simple magic bullets.

Why pivotal?
Simply because it's the penultimate round.

Should the cards still be about the same character?
They could be, but I don't want them as magic bullets, ie. they could mention the given character (or different characters) but shouldn't exclusively work against them.

If anyone has questions, don't hesitate to tell me.

Thranduil

June 02, 2008, 10:15:24 PM
Reply #48

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2008, 10:15:24 PM »
DCs sent. :mrgreen:

June 04, 2008, 11:51:03 AM
Reply #49

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2008, 11:51:03 AM »
Ok I am really sorry but I can't participate in this round. in 12 hours I am leaving for DC to grab BtO and sightsee ;) and I have to mow a lawn, pack, and sleep before then.

I might just MAYBE be able to get one in...but I highly doubt it. I will get back the 11th, and try to get in on the next round.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

June 05, 2008, 11:45:38 AM
Reply #50

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »
I have 3 entries now (though admittedly one of them is my own!) Don't forget to get yours in promptly! :mrgreen:

Thranduil

June 07, 2008, 03:13:41 PM
Reply #51

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Why me? No, seriously. WHY ME?!?
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »
Sorry for the delay; finally got mine done.
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

June 11, 2008, 12:48:00 AM
Reply #52

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »
That was a real bugger of a round, took ages to muster the effort to do it then even longer to come up with a good idea.  :-\

Think i had a good idea but don't think my DC's reflected that :P
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:34:13 AM by lem0nhead »

June 11, 2008, 04:38:27 AM
Reply #53

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2008, 04:38:27 AM »
It was an interesting round. I get the feeling that some people found it very hard while others very easy. Nevertheless, I'll post the cards a bit later today.

Thranduil

June 11, 2008, 04:40:01 AM
Reply #54

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 04:40:01 AM »
DC sent finally :)
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

June 11, 2008, 09:23:12 AM
Reply #55

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Thranduil's Virtual DC Contest - (Voting Round 9!)
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »
This looks like an interesting round. Lots of fun ideas ranging from very tight to very loose cycles.

I would urge votes to be on the merit, potential and ideas of the cycle rather than balance or ideas of individual cards. When you're looking at these 2 cards from each person, just start thinking what the other cards in the cycle might look like.

Vote for your favourite 3 as usual.

Voting deadline will be Sunday 15th. And I really need all votes ASAP so that I can press ahead with the final round with the aim of having the final entries on the forum by the 23rd when I go away.

Mr Lurtzy
(0) Such a Little Thing (V) [Moria]
Event • Response
If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, discard a [Moria] minion from play to wound an unbound companion not assigned to a skirmish. The Free Peoples player may discard 2 cards from hand to prevent this.
"'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing.'"
3 V 80

(0) Too Great and Terrible (V) [Wraith]
Event • Response
If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, discard a [Wraith] minion to wound an unbound companion twice. The Free Peoples player may add 2 burdens to prevent this.
"'We cannot use the Ruling Ring. It belongs to Sauron and was made by him alone, and is altogether evil. The very desire of it corrupts the heart.'"
3 V 85

Thranduil
(0) Can You Protect Me From Yourself? (V) [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
Str: -1
Res: -2
Response: If a companion is killed, spot 2 [Isengard] minions to transfer this condition to a companion (except the Ring-bearer).
Limit 1 per bearer.
"‘Where is the Ring?'"
3 V 50

(0) Why Shouldn't I Keep It? (V) [Sauron]
Condition • Support Area
Res: -3
Response: If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, spot 2 [Sauron] minions to transfer this condition to a companion (except the Ring-bearer).
Limit 1 per bearer.
"‘No wait, it's here in my pocket. Isn't that .... isn't that odd now?'"
3 V 105

CarpeGuitarrem
Event • Maneuver
Discard an [Isengard] minion from hand to exhaust an unbound companion with the highest resistance. The Free Peoples player may make each minion damage +1 until the start of the regroup phase to prevent this.
"Would you destroy it?"
3 V 50

Event • Maneuver
Exert a Nazgûl twice and spot a character. That character may not be spotted or affected by events until the start of the regroup phase. The Free Peoples player may add 2 burdens to prevent this.
"Don't tempt me, Frodo!"
3 V 85

AgentDrake
Condition
To play, spot a [Wraith] minion and remove 2 burdens. Bearer must be an unbound companion.
Limit 1 per bearer.
While bearer has resistance 0, at the start of each fellowship phase, the Free Peoples player must add a burden or exert bearer.
"'...I do not wish to become like the Dark Lord himself.'"
3 V 85

(0) Terrible as the Dawn (V) [Sauron]
Condition
To play, spot a [Sauron] minion and remove 2 threats. Bearer must be an unbound companion.
Limit 1 per bearer.
While bearer has resistance 0, at the start of each fellowship phase, the Free Peoples player must add a threat or exert bearer.
"'I will not deny that my heart has greatly desired this....'"
3 V 103

DáinIronfoot
Event • Maneuver
Spot an [Isengard] minion and a companion with resistance 3 or less to exhaust the Ring-bearer. The Free Peoples player may add 2 burdens or exhaust Aragorn to prevent this.
"‘Where is the Ring?'"
3 V 50

(0) Such a Little Thing (V) [Moria]
Event • Maneuver
Spot a [Moria] minion and a companion with resistance 3 or less to wound that companion. The Free Peoples player may discard 2 Free Peoples possessions (or one possession borne by Boromir) to prevent this.
"‘Boromir...give the Ring to Frodo.'"
3 V 80

micah247
Event • Maneuver
Spot a [Sauron] minion to make the Shadow have initiative until the end of the turn.  The Free Peoples player may exert 2 of their characters to prevent this.
"‘In the place of The Dark Lord you would have a Queen… All shall love me and despair!'"
3 V 103

(0) Why Shouldn't I Keep It? (V) [Sauron]
Event Maneuver
Spot a [Sauron] minion to add 3 threats. The Free Peoples player may discard up to 3 of their allies or followers. For each ally or follower discarded this way, remove a threat.
"‘No wait, it's here in my pocket. Isn't that… isn't that odd now?'"
3 V 105

Lem0nhead
(0) Such A Little Thing (V) [Moria]
Event • Skirmish
Spot the Ring-bearer wearing The One-Ring and exert a [Moria] minion to add 2 threats for each of the following you can spot; a burden; a threat; 5 minions; 5 companions.
"It is a strange fate we should suffer so much fear and doubt... over so small a thing.'"
3 V 80

(0) Too Great And Terrible (V) [Wraith]
Event • Skirmish
Spot the Ring-bearer wearing The One Ring and exert a [Wraith] minion to add a burden for each of the following you can spot; 3 burdens; 3 threats; 4 minions; 6 companions.
"'Never put it on, for the agents of the Dark Lord will be drawn to it's power'"
3 V 85

NappyKorn
Condition
To play exert 2 [Isengard] minions. Plays on a companion (except the Ring-bearer) with strength 7 or higher.
Limit 1 per bearer.
Each time the fellowship moves add a burden. The Free Peoples player may wound bearer to prevent this.
"'Men? men are weak, it is because of men that the ring survives'"
3 V 50

(0) Terrible As the Dawn (V) [Sauron]
Condition
To play exert 2 [Sauron] minions.
Plays on an unbound companion.
Limit 1 per bearer.
Each time the fellowship moves you may discard a Free Peoples condition, the Free People's player may wound bearer to prevent this.
... as the dark lord's shadow was streching slowly over the elven wood.
3 V 103

Anvar
Event • Assignment
Spot a Nazgûl and a companion to prevent that companion being assigned to a skirmish until the regroup phase. The Free Peoples player may add a burden to prevent this.
"His eyes flashed and his face was lit as by a fire within. 'Do not tempt me! For I do not wish to become like the Dark Lord himself.'"
3 V 85

Event • Assignment
Spot a [Sauron] minion and a companion to prevent that companion being assigned to a skirmish until the regroup phase. The Free Peoples player may add a threat to prevent this.
"'In the place of the Dark Lord, you would have a Queen... All shall love me and despair!'"
3 V 103
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 03:02:56 PM by Thranduil »

June 11, 2008, 12:57:24 PM
Reply #56

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 12:57:24 PM »

Very interesting cards.

June 11, 2008, 03:34:24 PM
Reply #57

Micah247

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2008, 03:34:24 PM »

June 12, 2008, 02:13:29 AM
Reply #58

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2008, 02:13:29 AM »

June 12, 2008, 02:45:57 AM
Reply #59

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2008, 02:45:57 AM »

Anvar
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who