LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Towers Standard Sealed League  (Read 32051 times)

October 17, 2014, 03:54:21 PM
Reply #195

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Re: Towers Standard Sealed League
« Reply #195 on: October 17, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
In my opinion, Rohan is by far the strongest FP in WotR sealed.  Especially when supported by Gandalf, they wreck all the shadows, most noticeably Stragglers.  And don't try to say that Aragorn is better than Eomer in RotK.  Oh, and most people go Rohan serie 2 in Revised Movie Sealed to get Nazgul, as well.  I'd say it's the most overplayed FP.  Even Eowyn's deck is certainly playable for TTT.  It's only not present for FotR, and then for the obvious reason of no cards at all!

October 17, 2014, 10:50:55 PM
Reply #196

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
In my opinion, Rohan is by far the strongest FP in WotR sealed.  Especially when supported by Gandalf, they wreck all the shadows, most noticeably Stragglers.  And don't try to say that Aragorn is better than Eomer in RotK.  Oh, and most people go Rohan serie 2 in Revised Movie Sealed to get Nazgul, as well.  I'd say it's the most overplayed FP.  Even Eowyn's deck is certainly playable for TTT.  It's only not present for FotR, and then for the obvious reason of no cards at all!

No one can say that the Aragorn starter is better than the Eomer in RotK. But that's only because of the Sauron cards provided in the Eomer starter. Eomer starter shadow is superior, but the FP isn't so wonderful. Look at the pumps and other events you get...the card below the draw deck only helps the shadow player cycle. City of Men is leaps and bounds about that trash.

From what I've seen Rohan is not overplayed at all in sealed...but it might just be different experiences against different players.

October 18, 2014, 02:17:12 AM
Reply #197

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2014, 02:17:12 AM »
Rohan is superior thanks to the Elite Riders.  As it stands, they are strength 10 with Steed and Spear, so they beat all of the minions in Aragorn's deck bar the Captain.  That's why they're so good.  Remove them and it's actually a fair (and very fun) game.  Plus they get some nice new equipment with Merry.  Wind in his Face isn't actually that bad a pump, too.  It's really annoying to see your perfect hand get stuck to the bottom of your deck, especially if Pippin WoBaS was running rampant.

Anyway this is off topic, so I'll leave it now, but go Rohan!!

October 18, 2014, 06:53:10 AM
Reply #198

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2014, 06:53:10 AM »
Rohan is superior thanks to the Elite Riders.  As it stands, they are strength 10 with Steed and Spear, so they beat all of the minions in Aragorn's deck bar the Captain.  That's why they're so good.  Remove them and it's actually a fair (and very fun) game.  Plus they get some nice new equipment with Merry.  Wind in his Face isn't actually that bad a pump, too.  It's really annoying to see your perfect hand get stuck to the bottom of your deck, especially if Pippin WoBaS was running rampant.

Anyway this is off topic, so I'll leave it now, but go Rohan!!

Yeah those are some good points. I have probably underestimated them to a degree just based on my own experiences, which aren't as extensive as some here :)

The point you made about the elite rider is integral though. We did meaningfully leave them out of the starters we are making for that reason.

October 19, 2014, 11:11:00 PM
Reply #199

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
It's been a little while since I've worked on this, and with stuff as busy as it's been for me these days, I need to back away from the current leagues a little to be able to finish testing by doing combo decks from serie 1 - 3. I'll catch you sometime this week if you got some extra time.

I'm going to start nibbling away at the other box artwork for the starters too...feel free to give me some feedback on those :)

November 10, 2014, 08:49:37 AM
Reply #200

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2014, 08:49:37 AM »
I have started a wiki entry here:
http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/ts_sealed

The packs per series was the last discussed and generally agreed upon.

This has all the decks from series 1 uploaded and I'll work on adding the others when I have time.  I did make one change to the Gandalf/Dwarf deck.  I removed Barliman and put in Behold the White Rider in his place.  Barliman was just too good IMO as we are already giving a decent Gandalf package.  This will make him a great pull, rather than overpowered in the starter.

More testing needs to be done, but I think we are on pretty solid ground now.

November 10, 2014, 10:21:18 PM
Reply #201

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2014, 10:21:18 PM »
I have started a wiki entry here:
http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/ts_sealed

... This has all the decks from series 1 uploaded and I'll work on adding the others when I have time.  I did make one change to the Gandalf/Dwarf deck.  I removed Barliman and put in Behold the White Rider in his place.  Barliman was just too good IMO as we are already giving a decent Gandalf package.  This will make him a great pull, rather than overpowered in the starter.

More testing needs to be done, but I think we are on pretty solid ground now.

The wiki entry looks so professional! I'm glad with the way the decks look and are designed to work, they seem like real starter decks (but a bit more clever ;)). Add Idleninja to the credits, as he worked on the Three Hunters / Uruk Trackers deck.

I agree in the point of Barliman's power and my vote goes towards his remotion. But I'm not convinced with Behold the White Rider, for 2 substantial reasons: The Grey Pilgrim with a Staff and 2 events just won't win many skirmishes (and 1 copy of BtWR won't come early most of the times), AND this deck is meant to blow conditions with Sleep Caradhras; that condition may work wonders with the Valiant Rohan / Gandalf deck, as it counts with TMAYOD, Leod, An Honorable Charge and The White Wizard (and a Staff) to ensure victories. It just doesn't fit here, so what else can we include? Even Delving or a 2nd Flurry of Blows would be better than Behold...

- Intimidate or another Have Patience, as each of those 3 Shadow decks in its fashion is meant to grind.
- Mithrandir, Mithrandir! or Wielder of the Flame, to counter swarms.
- Fireworks or Hugin can be a softer version of Mr. Butterbur, as this deck might need to sweep conditions more than once. Fireworks can recycle SHB too... With Grimir there might be too many FP cards reincorporated at the end of the game, which can be a severe drawback. But The Grey Wizard can help with that.
- Task Was Not Done to facilitate double moves (Valiant Rohan has Ever the Hope of Men).
- Another pump (Mysterious Wizard, Under the Living Earth, Threw Down My Enemy).

The rest are either useless here (You Cannot Pass, Strength of Spirit, RalL, LiF) or overpowered (Sleep Caradhras, DiT, Roll of Thunder, TotT, Depart Silently). Intimidate, Fireworks and Wielder of the Flame are very interesting in my opinion, and the latter reminds me a big point about Defender Bonuses we haven't discussed: in Serie 1 there is only one card with defender bonus (the mighty Aragorn, Heir of Elendil), and Serie 2 has 3 (Proper Poet AND Elendil's Valor in RB Rangers, Elendil's Valor in Knights), thus Gondor has both the monopoly of defender bonus AND 2 obvious FP paths to accumulate it. Serie 3 has nothing (maybe Thrarin, DS) but then Gondor gets to it's higher point...

Wielder of the Flame isn't a secure Defender aid and can erase Gondor's monopoly for good. And it doesn't mix too well with Valiant Rohan + The White Wizard, as it would nullify Gandalf's +3 strength bonus most of the time (those 2 Gandalf decks aren't the stronger possible coupling, are very different themes). Wielder has my vote, Fireworks would be my 2nd choice.

And in respect of the RB Rangers deck, I'd replace Proper Poet with Nice Sensible Hobbit (and Smeagol, Poor Creature by removing another thing) or Elendil's Valor with a RB Ranger trick like New Errand. Taken the first suggestion, it would be finally worth of the name "Ringbound Companions"...

It's funny how long can be an argumentation about only 1 card slot :P. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:49:20 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

November 11, 2014, 06:56:21 AM
Reply #202

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2014, 06:56:21 AM »
The rest are either useless here (You Cannot Pass, Strength of Spirit, Depart Silently, RalL, LiF) or overpowered (Sleep Caradhras, DiT, Roll of Thunder, TotT). Intimidate, Fireworks and Wielder of the Flame are very interesting in my opinion, and the latter reminds me a big point about Defender Bonuses we haven't discussed: in Serie 1 there is only one card with defender bonus (the mighty Aragorn, Heir of Elendil), and Serie 2 has 3 (Proper Poet AND Elendil's Valor in RB Rangers, Elendil's Valor in Knights), thus Gondor has both the monopoly of defender bonus AND 2 obvious FP paths to accumulate it. Serie 3 has nothing (maybe Thrarin, DS) but then Gondor gets to it's higher point...

I agree that Gondor has the only access to defender bonuses, but if you look at the RB Companions they have a really hard time skirmishing, so giving them ways to kill off companions to take on multiple minions is good, but at a cost. 

Wielder of the Flame isn't a secure Defender aid and can erase Gondor's monopoly for good. And it doesn't mix too well with Valiant Rohan + The White Wizard, as it would nullify Gandalf's +3 strength bonus most of the time (those 2 Gandalf decks aren't the stronger possible coupling, are very different themes). Wielder has my vote, Fireworks would be my 2nd choice.
I like it.  Pretty decent card and it could force some interesting choices on the part of shadows.

And in respect of the RB Rangers deck, I'd replace Proper Poet with Nice Sensible Hobbit (and Smeagol, Poor Creature by removing another thing) or Elendil's Valor with a RB Ranger trick like New Errand. Taken the first suggestion, it would be finally worth of the name "Ringbound Companions"...
Given the play testing that we have done with this and the fact that you will have to choose between Sam and Gandalf in Series 2, I'm more in favor of keeping the ranger deck as is.  If you want to create a RB companions deck in Series 3 you can certainly do that as the Hobbit deck has both of those companions.

With that in mind, I'd like to make the change to Wielder of the Flame.  It is an interesting card that doesn't get much play and could be pretty decent in sealed.

Did you have thoughts on the other suggestions that I made about Gimli and the other cards to drop/add in the series 2/3 decks?

November 11, 2014, 07:31:08 PM
Reply #203

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »
I commented to the changes in the other thread. I think we're definitely "circling the drain", so to speak, with the decks. I don't think any more major overhauls are necessary, and we can have those lists soon for me to script :)

November 12, 2014, 03:28:45 AM
Reply #204

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2014, 03:28:45 AM »
Did you have thoughts on the other suggestions that I made about Gimli and the other cards to drop/add in the series 2/3 decks?

I have some thoughts, and posted them on the other thread. And since some days ago I started to like the idea of having 2 Rohan decks... Gondor has 4 (considering 3 Hunters), Dwarves have 2, Gandalf has 2, Elves 2...

I know this is off topic, and won't say it again to not delay the main issues, but Idleninja should have a mention in the credits (the wiki entry), as he helped with the Three Hunters / Uruk Trackers deck in both sides. Just saying...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:31:32 AM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

November 12, 2014, 05:26:37 AM
Reply #205

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2014, 05:26:37 AM »
Idleninja is mentioned in the wiki entry now.

November 12, 2014, 02:54:34 PM
Reply #206

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
Idleninja is mentioned in the wiki entry now.

:up:

January 09, 2015, 08:31:17 AM
Reply #207

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2015, 08:31:17 AM »
Serie 1 Decks are coded, and Deck Artwork finished.

Sorry about the face-got-run-over-by-a-dump-tuck Gamling...by the time I got to skewing the edges I was in too deep to adjust the whole image proportions, lol.

Just click on the image to make it larger

Anyway, 3 down, 6 to go :)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:41:08 AM by dmaz »

January 09, 2015, 08:39:29 AM
Reply #208

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2015, 08:39:29 AM »
Had to downsize the decks and post each individually. Limit is 512KB per :S