LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gothmog (That Balrog, Not the Orc)  (Read 3927 times)

September 19, 2014, 11:17:07 AM
Read 3927 times

ANGRY

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • ^This guy is actually Hamlet.
Gothmog (That Balrog, Not the Orc)
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:17:07 AM »
[Twilight Cost 12] Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs (Sauron culture, I suppose)
Minion Balrog
Strength: 20
Vitality: 4
Site number: 5
Fierce Damage +1
When played, discard The Balrog. No other Balrog can be played. Can bear Whip of Many Thongs and/or Flaming Sword. While you can spot another Maia or Wizard, the Balrog is Damage +1

Kind of the sequel to The Balrog, except he gets angry when Maia or Wizards are around, because they are sort of like him. Thoughts?
"Alas, poor Yorrick. I knew him, Horatio."

September 19, 2014, 02:30:57 PM
Reply #1

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
Re: Gothmog (That Balrog, Not the Orc)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:30:57 PM »
He should probably be anywhere from strength 22-25. He's significantly stronger than Durin's Bane and is physically more powerful than even Sauron himself. His twilight cost should be around 15-18 to compensate. His vitality should be 5. Site number doesn't really matter in terms of flavor, but you are making him cost +2 for one less site than any version of Sauron, so keep that in mind. I think he should be damage +2 and fierce by default as well (though be sure to make his twilight compensate for all of these stat boosts).

For the text, I don't see the flavor of discarding any other balrog while he's in play. Gothmog was the commander of all balrogs, so it doesn't make sense. For flavor, I recommend something to do with elves, as he had no contact with the wizards, and wouldn't be roused into a frenzy by other Maiar. Perhaps you could have him be more susceptible to elves, for they were the only group able to wound him and ultimately kill him.

September 19, 2014, 03:24:23 PM
Reply #2

ANGRY

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:24:23 PM »
All good points. I should have probably waited to make this until AFTER I finished reading the Silmarillion again... Stupid me...

Okay, lets fix this idjit.

[Twilight Cost 20] Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs (Sauron culture, I suppose)
Minion Balrog
Strength: 25
Vitality: 5
Site number: 5
Fierce, Damage +2
Cannot be discarded by The Balrog, Durins' Bane. Can bear Whip of Many Thongs and/or Flaming Sword. While skirmishing an elf, Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs is strength -X, where X=...

I'm not sure what X should be... Maybe the difference between the elfs' strength and his strength?

September 20, 2014, 07:00:44 PM
Reply #3

Carl333

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • "But it is not this day. This day we fight!"
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »
The number of minions you can spot maybe? Also there should be a way to bring his twilight down. 20 is a bit high in order to put a sauron out.
"Do you ever wonder why we are here?  Maybe you're here because it is the only place you fit in.  Maybe you're here because you have nowhere else to go.  Maybe you're here because deep down, you want to be here.  It doesn't matter why you're here.  All that matters is that you are here!"

September 20, 2014, 08:41:54 PM
Reply #4

ANGRY

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
Minions you can spot doesn't seem to make much sense, since he regularly fought within an army. His twilight cost is 20 because he is stronger than Sauron, and he is just a tad ridiculous. Maybe is should be 19.

September 21, 2014, 06:19:52 AM
Reply #5

Carl333

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 06:19:52 AM »
Well even sauron can be played for free. (If all the planets alline.)  So maybe being able to play him for reduced twilight would be good?
"Do you ever wonder why we are here?  Maybe you're here because it is the only place you fit in.  Maybe you're here because you have nowhere else to go.  Maybe you're here because deep down, you want to be here.  It doesn't matter why you're here.  All that matters is that you are here!"

September 21, 2014, 06:12:21 PM
Reply #6

ANGRY

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 06:12:21 PM »
Twilight cost is -X, where X=the number of Balrogs, Maia, threats, and burdens you can spot.

September 21, 2014, 07:50:51 PM
Reply #7

Carl333

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 07:50:51 PM »
That sounds good. By the way, great idea.

September 22, 2014, 05:43:46 AM
Reply #8

ANGRY

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 05:43:46 AM »
Thank you for the feedback!