LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Solo Sam Deck - Ideas for shadow deck?  (Read 12753 times)

July 12, 2013, 11:04:18 AM
Read 12753 times

DRakoGG

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Solo Sam Deck - Ideas for shadow deck?
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »
Okay, so this is the solo sam deck that I run these days in GEMP(especially in tournaments). Its aim is basically to try and double move as many times as possible using sam's abilities, 1st to discard a minion at regroup and 2nd to stay alive via his great resistance because of the hobbit allies who have other uses too. Since we are talking about expanded format, which means site manipulation is a very strong element I tried to add some cards that could help me with that( Get On And Get Away, Thror's Map). The sites I have really problems with are of course, Westenment Village -probably instant death, though I 've never seen it played, Anduin Confluence -rarely senn this too-, Steward's Tomb -only when it's been played when I intend to stop, really killer- and most of all Cavern Entrance -though I try to have some tricks up my sleeve-. Actually it is not so rare that I complete the game only with double moves, that is 1-3,3-5,5-7 and 7-9 that is because I really don't need sanctuary healing as long as rosie or gamgee are in play along with 1-2 Party House Guest.

The Shadow side on the other I've been experimenting with. I need a shadow side that is somewhat independent of freeps side, versatile in accordance with expanded format( Ib decks, site manipulation decks etc) and able to stop opponents from double moving. Currently I play with orc wounding but I am open to ideas.

So the deck is as follows:

Sam, Bearer of Great Need
The One Ring, The Great Ring

start fellowship:

1x Gamling, Defender Of The Hornburg
1x Pippin, Wearer Of Black And Silver

Adventur Deck:
Crags Of Emyn Muil
The Bridge Of Khazad-Dum
Doorway To Doom
Shores Of Nen Hithoel
Caras Galadhon
Moria's Stairway
West Gate Of Moria
Green Dragon Inn
Imladris

Free Peoples Deck:

3x Bounder
3x House Party Guest
1x Old Noakes, Purveyor Of Wisdoms
1x Rosie Cotton, Hobbiton Lass
1x Melilot Brandyback, Merry Dancer
1x The Gaffer, Sam's Father
1x Erkenbrand's Horn
1x Salt From The Shire
2x Sting, Weapon Of Heritage
2x Mithril Coat, Dwarf Mail
1x Thror's Map
4x Chance Obesrvation
1x Get On And Get Away
2x Power According To His Stature
4x Home And Hearth
2x Scouring Of The Shire
1x Rare Good Ballast
1x Tale Of The Great Ring
1x Pallando, Far-Travelling One
1x Daddy Twofoot, Next Door Neighbour

Shados Deck:

2x Mumak Commander, Giant Among The Swertings
2x The Balrog, Demon Of Might
2x Black Gate Sentry
3x Black Land Chieftain
3x Black Land Observer
4x Black Land Overlord
1x Black Land Shrieker
2x Half Troll Of Harad
2x Orkish Invader
4x Orkish Lackey
2x Sauron, Dark Lord Of Mordor
4x Demoralized
2x Underground Depths
2x Spurred To Battle
2x Mordor Scimitar

Strategy Free Peoples: Almost always I bid 0. Gamling is there to bring my two followers and Pippin is there to help kill a minion early on and then discarded to help me reach the restriction 4 hobbit cards on Chance Observation as soon as possible. If I play first I play Green Dragon Inn so he helps bring out a hobbit ally too(Rosie Cotton, or if she is in starting hand House Party Guest or The Bounder). If I see that opponent plays archery I keep him to get some archery wounds. The aim is to play everything free side I have every turn. Home And Hearth is critically important to remove burdens. I usually kill Gamling in the first sites so Sam is alone thereafter. Mithril Coat is important too especially if opponent plays fierce minions(nazgul etc.) or damage+ guys (uruks etc). I usually get Sam to have resistance 13-15 each game. What this deck lacks of course is condition removal(Pallando tries to fulfill this role but is not so good but I can' t think of an alternative). I struggle heavily against gollum decks for example as they have too many conditions and Deceit and They Stole It are killers.
The things I would like to add are anpother Thro's Map maybe, another Tale Of The Great Ring (life saver) and maybe Thrarin, Dwarven Smith to get him killed. Any thoughts?
Whenever I get the chance in the begining I play or dicard events(to reach that 4 hobbit card in discard pile) and Daddy Twofoot enables to bring some back(I once brought back Get On And Get Away and won, usually I get Chance Observation)

As for The Shadow Deck, Mumak is there to get some wounds and then Orckish Lackey finishes the job. Another way to do this is to add threats and then remove them to exert with Black Land Overlord, which adds to the pool from Demoralized. Black Gate Sentry should get Mordor Scimitar for obvious reasons. Balrog and Sauron are there if someone tries to double move or even triple move in the end(  I have lost some games because of that)

Alterations in Shadow I think are needed so feel free to counsel!!

Overally at least for me it's a fun deck to play and that is all I want!!!

Replays:

http://gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=DRakoGG$ueyndqcp5p8eu2qi
(though at this time with twilight nazguls)

http://gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=DRakoGG$usyya5u8y5v0aeqf
(an example of 1-3, 3-5, 5-7, 7-9)

http://gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=DRakoGG$n1u4cik3i1qyf7in
(the importance of The Tale Of The Great Ring at site 7 I think where opponent reached str 100+)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:08:43 PM by DRakoGG »

July 12, 2013, 12:22:14 PM
Reply #1

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
Re: Solo Sam Deck - Ideas for shadow deck?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:22:14 PM »
Lately I've been doing Dunland mixes that use Constantly Threatening, combined with Gollum, Old Villain, and Evil-smelling Fens. Sprinkle with a few power baddies, like Balrog, Sauron, and various nazgul and Morgul Squealer. The result is that you can pretty much discard anything you want with Gollum, discourage double-moves with Constantly Threatening, then do a custom strike with whatever minion will do the most damage, with Fens and Squealer. Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders helps with the site manipulation too.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:24:52 PM by sgtdraino »
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

July 12, 2013, 12:37:45 PM
Reply #2

DRakoGG

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »
Nelya yes, I forgot to write that I 'd like to squeeze her/him in the deck principally to change site if opponent plays steward's tomb... About the other idea, so we are talking about radically changing the shadow deck... I'll consider it for sure!
Thnx for the time and thoughts!!

July 12, 2013, 01:08:37 PM
Reply #3

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:08:37 PM »
Hope Is Kindled would be a good add too, since it will let you be a little more liberal with using the Ring.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

July 12, 2013, 01:58:03 PM
Reply #4

DRakoGG

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:58:03 PM »
Hmmm... I'd thought of that but I think it's too costy for double moves... I used instead of power accord..x2 impatient and angry x2 but some times I needed that extra exertion for other things... And for hope in the 1st phase where I actually win skirmishes it's too costy and in 2nd phase of game This +2 is not too much for tha paid cost.. I dunno...
I would prefer to find a way to squeeze another tale of great ring or tharnin maybe...

July 12, 2013, 10:45:04 PM
Reply #5

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »
Another Gamling might be a good idea ^^

July 13, 2013, 11:29:33 AM
Reply #6

DRakoGG

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
Why do u think so Euk? I only need him to take out my two followers and then actually he is there waiting to die only...

Actually 70% and more of the times gamling dies at site 2(as Sam does not have that much resistance so I am reluctant to add some so as not to be overwhelmed and Pippin is there to give some wounds and be discarded to reach 4 hobbit cards in discard for Chance Observation).

If not in site 2 and he survives until sanctuary then he is dead for sure on site 4 or 5. And I am ok with that! Shame for the poor fellow...

As for discard conditions any ideas apart from pallando?

As for the Shadow I 'd like to try and find wounding orc potential so I am reluctant as of now to change that radically...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:56:45 AM by DRakoGG »

July 13, 2013, 11:59:14 AM
Reply #7

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »
Why do u think so Euk? I only need him to take out my two followers and then actually he is there waiting to die only...

Let's have a look at his game gext: Valiant. Hunter 1. (While skirmishing a non-hunter character, this character is strength +1.) To play, spot a [Rohan] Man. While you can spot 3 The hunters, Gamling is strength +3.

You surely meant to list Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg ^^

July 13, 2013, 12:08:16 PM
Reply #8

DRakoGG

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »
Well, you have a point because I am mistaken!!
I don't play Gamling, the Old, but Gamlin, Defender of The Hornburg , to get erkenbrand horn which gets me my 2 only followers!!
Good point I will edit it!!

July 14, 2013, 06:46:08 AM
Reply #9

Gil-Galad

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 06:46:08 AM »
Hey ya, I'm also trying to build a hobbit Deck. Still I'm looking for a way to play a  [Shire] possession from draw Deck. Do you know any?
Want to play LOTR TCG again? Try http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/
It's perfect!

July 14, 2013, 06:48:02 AM
Reply #10

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 06:48:02 AM »
Deagol is pretty much it.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

July 14, 2013, 11:53:35 AM
Reply #11

Gil-Galad

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
Yeah but i want to play Red Book of Wetmark, and it's a possession which must be played into support arrea :(
Want to play LOTR TCG again? Try http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/
It's perfect!

July 15, 2013, 06:23:34 AM
Reply #12

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 06:23:34 AM »
Btw. you can also start Aldor to get 2 more Followers rightaway. Robin Smallburrow and Rohan Stable Master come to mind.

A Corsair shadow goes nice with this freeps, as they can be played from the discard or put back onto the deck.

July 15, 2013, 08:09:52 AM
Reply #13

DRakoGG

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:52 AM »
Aldor?? How can I start him in the fellowship? Maybe u meant Aldred? The thing with Robin Smallburrow is that although his ability is nc 2 twilight pool is too much for me when I try to double move... And Rohan stable master is ok but we are talking about adding at least 2 more cards(Aldred and 1-2 followers) so what should be ditched?

Corsair on the other side is a very good point, I've considered them but don't have the golg to invset on them on GEMP... And as I started playing IRL on shadows I am not too familiar with their sytle of play.
I am sure though they will fit very good with Ships of great Draught that allow to dicard cards u cannot or don't want to play to empty your hand for the fellowship!!

August 11, 2013, 05:02:08 AM
Reply #14

Invincible

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 05:02:08 AM »
Why don't you start Merry, Learned Guide instead of Aldred? Much Better to set up Chance of Observation and it improves your chance of survival on site 2 or 3.