LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Too Great and Terrible Rules Discussion  (Read 14031 times)

February 08, 2015, 07:55:45 PM
Reply #60

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
Re: Too Great and Terrible Rules Discussion
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2015, 07:55:45 PM »
It seems like maybe this is all talked out. Shall we do a poll? Or are the powers-that-be just going to decide how they want the card to work?
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

February 09, 2015, 03:13:32 AM
Reply #61

BigRedMF

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2015, 03:13:32 AM »
I had this same type of discussion about Neekerbreeker's Bog and Harrowdale, with people on both sides of the coin, and nothing changed. I think unless you can clearly identify that there is truly a problem or incorrect rules implementation then Gemp is not going to be changed. A poll is a decent idea though.

February 09, 2015, 03:39:51 AM
Reply #62

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2015, 03:39:51 AM »
Yeah....even though the evidence from the rules appears to be more clearly in favor of changing the current coding, we'll need to go to MarcinS with all of the evidence.

I also think the poll would be good, presenting the facts from both arguments and letting the players themselves decide.

February 09, 2015, 06:16:44 AM
Reply #63

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook

February 09, 2015, 06:57:04 AM
Reply #64

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2015, 06:57:04 AM »
I wouldnt go with a poll since its a technical thing, not somethign that anyone can answer. It will just often lead to the person who shouts the hardest. From my experience during the days it prevents the action, and I have played quit ethe DGMA events.

February 09, 2015, 07:22:16 AM
Reply #65

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2015, 07:22:16 AM »
Two things - nobody has properly addressed the fact that the "prevent" language is still a part of the effect that cannot be properly resolved until step 6 of "Playing a Card".

Also, I would like to assert, in reference to Sgtdraino's quote:

"There's lots of stuff not covered in the CRs. Just because your search only turned up the word "trigger" for those specific items, doesn't mean that there are no triggered actions besides those."

In the tournament director's information, Decipher stated that the only things a tournament director needed in order to make a ruling during a tournament was the latest CRD and the latest Comprehensive rules document.  If I'm looking for information on triggers, those are the only things that are directly mentioned as triggers.  Note that they include Response: actions, which ALL of your previous examples including Sam and Treebeard are.

Given that the prevent language is in the effect, I'm standing my ground saying that the intent was a replacement of the effect, especially given the design of all similar cards up to that point.

February 09, 2015, 08:27:19 AM
Reply #66

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »
Note that they include Response: actions, which ALL of your previous examples including Sam and Treebeard are.

This is because the arguments for it not being actual prevention to the point of grasping at straws, where Bib was saying it had to do with wording. Those were examples where the wording using "prevent" were actual prevention and contrary to the assumption that "prevention" is not used in any other context or phraseology.

February 09, 2015, 10:33:57 AM
Reply #67

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2015, 10:33:57 AM »
I wouldnt go with a poll since its a technical thing, not somethign that anyone can answer.

The ruling should make sense, and to some degree be intuitive to the average player. In that regard, I think the views of all players have merit on the poll.

Two things - nobody has properly addressed the fact that the "prevent" language is still a part of the effect that cannot be properly resolved until step 6 of "Playing a Card".

I have addressed it. IMO it is not part of the effect, it is a triggered action. It has its own separate cost and effect.

In the tournament director's information, Decipher stated that the only things a tournament director needed in order to make a ruling during a tournament was the latest CRD and the latest Comprehensive rules document.

Sure they say that. But then they also have to update the CRs and the CRDs because, guess what, the old ones didn't quite cover everything. The last ones Decipher put out STILL don't cover everything, as has been plain on many of these various rules issues.

If I'm looking for information on triggers, those are the only things that are directly mentioned as triggers.

The rules establish the concept of "triggered actions." They do not specify that those are the only ones there are. I'm not sure why you see the second part of the text as an effect rather than a triggered action, since it clearly has it's own cost, followed by its own effect.

Given that the prevent language is in the effect, I'm standing my ground saying that the intent was a replacement of the effect, especially given the design of all similar cards up to that point.

...and it DEFINITELY isn't "replacing" anything. I don't know how anyone could think that it's "replacing" something. "Prevent" is not "replace." The most it can be doing, is preventing the action as a whole.

But this is like talking to a wall. You are going to do it however you want to do it.

February 09, 2015, 04:42:16 PM
Reply #68

BigRedMF

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »
Another argument founded on conjecture was that because it says "prevent this" the "this" is referring the "act of wounding Gandalf" and not the wounding itself.

This is not conjecture. The rulebook actually identifies that assigning wounds and placing wounds are, in fact, two distinctly different things. Quote from the Comprehensive Rules 4.0:

"If a character cannot take wounds, wounds cannot be assigned to that character. However, if a card prevents wounds, wounds may still be assigned to that character.
Faramir, Wizard's Pupil reads: "Skirmish: Exert Gandalf to prevent all wounds to Faramir." This prevents wounds as they are assigned to Faramir, not the assignments themselves."

In other words, the "act of wounding" is not the same as placing the wound tokens. Which brings me back to my original point, you can shoot the gun out of someone's hand to prevent the assigning of wounds, which is NOT the same thing as preventing the wounds themselves.

For those still stuck on the term "prevent", the CRD says the following things:

"prevent
See cancel, cost, effect, preventing effects.

cancel
When an action (such as playing an event or using a special ability) is canceled or prevented, its effects are ignored but its costs and requirements are still paid. If that action is playing an event, that event card is discarded.
See cost, effect.

cost
If an action is prevented, its effects are ignored but its costs and requirements are still paid."

Thus the term "prevent" is very closely associated with the word "cancel", and the rules actually say cancel and prevent in reference to both abilities and events. This contradicts the argument that "cancel" is only used when referring to events and "prevent" for abilities. The definition of "cost" also uses the word "prevent". So I once again will make the statement that these "temptation" cards are allowing the prevention of the action stated - with the action stated on TGaT being the wounding of Gandalf and not the actual placement of said wounds.

February 09, 2015, 10:52:51 PM
Reply #69

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2015, 10:52:51 PM »
I think you just solved it, BigRedMF. TGAT assigns two wounds to Gandalf, and tossing the 2 cards from hand prevents those wounds from being assigned. If FP declines to discard the cards, the wound assignment proceeds and now there are two wound tokens that need to be placed. It is only at this point that cards that prevent wounds can be used.

All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

February 10, 2015, 12:25:50 AM
Reply #70

idleninja

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2015, 12:25:50 AM »
This is not conjecture. The rulebook actually identifies that assigning wounds and placing wounds are, in fact, two distinctly different things. Quote from the Comprehensive Rules 4.0:

"If a character cannot take wounds, wounds cannot be assigned to that character. However, if a card prevents wounds, wounds may still be assigned to that character.
Faramir, Wizard's Pupil reads: "Skirmish: Exert Gandalf to prevent all wounds to Faramir." This prevents wounds as they are assigned to Faramir, not the assignments themselves."
Nice find! The discussion in this thread has been very beneficial for me, regardless of how the card is ruled.

Is the prevented "this" the spotting action "Spot a Nazgul to do X," the assignment of wounds (which can be prevented), or the placing of 2 wound tokens (which cannot be prevented)?

February 10, 2015, 03:25:36 AM
Reply #71

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2015, 03:25:36 AM »
Is the prevented "this" the spotting action "Spot a Nazgul to do X," the assignment of wounds (which can be prevented), or the placing of 2 wound tokens (which cannot be prevented)?

The majority argues that the "this" means the assignment of wounds....though they still haven't showed any proof from the rules that that's what "this" means...nor have they provided enough evidence from the rules to show that the wounds still aren't considered prevented.

The examples that BigRedMF gave are a enormous stretch to try to make it fit their view when compared to the CR example of the words usage "instead" (it's basically their exact argument, but that's being ignored).

Also if you want to see the word "this" used in a prevention situation (in this case preventing of adding burdens as you would wounds) see Sam, Samwise the Brave...he functions the same as Melilot Brandybuck, but everyone here has tried to say that this difference in wording as applied to TGAT and other cards makes it something completely different. There's no reason to think it's not different.

So far the only person on the other side of the argument who really took a look from both sides and is actually interested in hearing an opinion other than their own is probably BigRedMF.  Like sgtdraino pointed out, for most of these guys it's talking to a brick wall XD

February 10, 2015, 07:43:18 AM
Reply #72

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2015, 07:43:18 AM »
So far the only person on the other side of the argument who really took a look from both sides and is actually interested in hearing an opinion other than their own is probably BigRedMF.  Like sgtdraino pointed out, for most of these guys it's talking to a brick wall XD

And this is what doesnt make it worth discussing this openly, becasue it turns into flaming with such posts. I am disappointed it has come to this.

February 10, 2015, 09:01:10 AM
Reply #73

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2015, 09:01:10 AM »
So far the only person on the other side of the argument who really took a look from both sides and is actually interested in hearing an opinion other than their own is probably BigRedMF.  Like sgtdraino pointed out, for most of these guys it's talking to a brick wall XD

And this is what doesnt make it worth discussing this openly, becasue it turns into flaming with such posts. I am disappointed it has come to this.

This is a pretty weak definition of flaming. If it's an attempt to attack our character as an alternate to actually debating, I understand completely.

sgtdraino and I are merely pointing out that all of our arguments are being lost on minds that are otherwise predisposed, nothing more. Not everyone speaks in feckless approbations, but if that's what's required for a debate, so be it  :P

Thus the term "prevent" is very closely associated with the word "cancel", and the rules actually say cancel and prevent in reference to both abilities and events. This contradicts the argument that "cancel" is only used when referring to events and "prevent" for abilities. The definition of "cost" also uses the word "prevent". So I once again will make the statement that these "temptation" cards are allowing the prevention of the action stated - with the action stated on TGaT being the wounding of Gandalf and not the actual placement of said wounds.

This, connected with the definitions you provided, is probably the most logical and rule-based argument we've seen yet, and does sum up exact what Bib and Merrick were originally arguing.

As I mentioned before, I'm pretty certain I'll end up having to concede to this as the answer, and I'm OK with that...I just like exhausting the options we have, since it still feels like preventing is preventing.

As a general question: you mentioned in your summation for the card, that, in your model, TGAT prevents the action of "wounding of Gandalf", and not "placement of wounds on Gandalf". Where can we surmise that preventing an action who's effect is "wounding X" is not still preventing wounds?

What I meant by conjecture was that the evidence we have to run on was exactly what you gave: assigning wounds and wounding are not the same thing. But considered it conjecture or stretching to apply this to our current puzzle with this card. All we know now is that if Gandalf had some global effect that said he "could not take wounds" then the card wouldn't work, but for an entirely different reason.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:28:02 AM by dmaz »

February 10, 2015, 02:19:57 PM
Reply #74

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2015, 02:19:57 PM »

In other words, the "act of wounding" is not the same as placing the wound tokens.

First, I'm not sure what you're quoting when you say, "the act of wounding." The rules say that "wound a character" means "place a wound on that character." The section you are referring to is just breaking it down into the procedure for doing that, for purposes of understanding why things like "Consorting with Wizards" may make a character not a legal target for wounding. There is nothing to indicate that Too Great And Terrible is preventing the assignment of wounds, rather than preventing wounds, particularly with all the other similarly-worded cards that deal with things that aren't broken down any further (like exerting or adding burdens).

cancel
When an action (such as playing an event or using a special ability) is canceled or prevented, its effects are ignored but its costs and requirements are still paid. If that action is playing an event, that event card is discarded.
See cost, effect.

cost
If an action is prevented, its effects are ignored but its costs and requirements are still paid."

Thus the term "prevent" is very closely associated with the word "cancel", and the rules actually say cancel and prevent in reference to both abilities and events. This contradicts the argument that "cancel" is only used when referring to events and "prevent" for abilities.

"Prevent" and "cancel" do very similar things in theory. The difference is mainly in the words themselves, and how they are put into practice:

If you're trying to "prevent" something, but a card says you can't "prevent" something, you're screwed.

If you're trying to "cancel" something, but a card says you can't "prevent" something, then you can still "cancel," because "cancel' is not quite the same as "prevent."

In theory, if you're trying to "prevent" something, but a card says you can't "cancel" something, you can still "prevent" it, for the same reasons listed above... however I don't think any such situation exists in LOTRTCG, because generally "cancel" seems to be used in a more powerful way than "prevent." In fact, are there any "may not cancel" cards in the game at all? The only thing I can think of, is the rule where Ring-bearer skirmishes may not be canceled, but that's a rule, not a card.

So I once again will make the statement that these "temptation" cards are allowing the prevention of the action stated - with the action stated on TGaT being the wounding of Gandalf and not the actual placement of said wounds.

Wounding Gandalf is not an action, it's an effect. Playing the event is an action.

I think you just solved it, BigRedMF. TGAT assigns two wounds to Gandalf, and tossing the 2 cards from hand prevents those wounds from being assigned.

This sounds like wishful thinking to me. There is nothing anywhere to indicate that the second part of the text of Too Great And Terrible has anything to do with preventing the assignment of wounds. "Assign" is not on the card. Again, the "prevent this" text is worded almost the same as things like Narsil (which certainly isn't preventing the assignment of wounds) and Why Shouldn't I Keep It (which is preventing something that doesn't even involve assignment).