LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Elf Archers + Uruk Archery Hate  (Read 6663 times)

January 16, 2016, 03:25:29 PM
Read 6663 times

mattzarella

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Elf Archers + Uruk Archery Hate
« on: January 16, 2016, 03:25:29 PM »
Looking for feedback on an older deck of mine, will be dusting this off for a few games. A couple of ground rules: My collection is limited to mainly FotR and Moria, so please make suggestions accordingly. Also, if you could help me under what to remove to make room for various suggestions that would be great!

Basic strategy is Rangers + Elf/ally archery with an anti-archery shadow (I expect a lot of archery...). Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Adventure Path

[1] Prancing Pony
[2] Ettenmoors
[3] Rivendell Valley
[4] Pass of Caradhras
[5] Bridge
[6] Lothlorien Woods
[7] Silverlode Banks
[8] Anduin Banks
[9] Slopes of Amon Hen

Freeps (38)

Frodo, Son of Drogo
The One Ring, The Ruling Ring

Legolas, Greenleaf (start)
Arwen, Daughter of Elrond (start)
Aragorn, King in Exile x2
Aragon, Ranger in the North
Sam, Son of Hamfast

Celeborn
Galadriel x2
Orophin
Rumil x2
Uruviel

Aragorn's Bow
Asfaloth x2
Athelas x3
Elven Bow
Ranger's Sword
Sting

No Stranger to the Shadows x2
Last Alliance of Men and Elves
Tale of Gil-Galad

Defiance x4
Pathfinder x2
Ranger's Versatility x2
Swan-Ship of Galadhrim x4

Shadow (38)

Ulaire Enquea x2
Uruk Fighter x4
Uruk Guard x4
Uruk Messenger x2
Uruk Shaman x4
Uruk Slayer x4
Uruk Warrior x4

Saruman's Ambition x4
Saruman's Frost x2
Saruman's Snows x2
Their Arrows Enrage x4
Worry x2

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:59:21 AM by mattzarella »

January 16, 2016, 04:51:37 PM
Reply #1

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Elf Archers + Uruk Archery Hate
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 04:51:37 PM »
Hi there :) I'm not sure about the Saruman's Frost, it looks a bit out of place in this deck. I would recommend dropping it (Unless you're finding it to be very useful) and maybe swap Uruk Messenger for Uruk-hai Raiding Party or Troop of Uruk-hai (or Uruk Soldier if you want a cheap minion). If it's anti-archery, then Uruk-hai Armory could be useful (Or Saruman, KoI, but he's from set 3). If you want to keep the weather theme, then Wizard Storm is an okay condition to discourage double-moves.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

January 17, 2016, 07:09:14 AM
Reply #2

mattzarella

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:09:14 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. How about these modifications?

-2 Saruman's Frost
-2 Uruk Messenger
-2 Swan Ship
-1 Pass

+2 Troop of Uruk-hai
+1 Hollin

This helps to slim down the deck just a bit as well, now 36/36. Should Armory flat out replace Arrows Enrage here?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:49:50 AM by mattzarella »

January 17, 2016, 08:14:37 AM
Reply #3

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »
Sounds good :up: Hollin is a great site for uruks, and being able to Pathfinder it is nice. I don't really know about the Swan-Ship of the Galadhrim - it's nice, but I don't like having to exert the ally prior to skirmishing. One Whom Men Would Follow helps with this, but exerting Aragorn is hardly ideal either...

Their Arrows Enrage is still good for finishing off characters like Legolas, so I'd keep a couple. Uruk-hai Armory won't shield from Greenleaf or Aragorn's Bow, but it helps keep the uruks alive until skirmishes if they have a lot of archery. With fewer exertion cards, you could probably swap out Uruk Shaman, as he can only heal before archery. He might be better replaced by a different uruk (Uruk Lieutenant or Uruk Captain if you have them, otherwise Uruk Soldier or Uruk-hai Raiding Party*).

Regarding the Fellowship side, King in Exile is probably better as a permanent companion than Aragorn, Ranger of the North. I also think Reluctant Adventurer is a better version of Frodo, as he can be healed by Aragorn anyway, and I'm rarely worrying about Frodo's vitality.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

January 17, 2016, 09:06:12 AM
Reply #4

mattzarella

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:06:12 AM »
Thanks! Trying to stick with your feedback here, much appreciated! Here's my current list:

Adventure Path

[1] Prancing Pony
[2] Ettenmoors
[3] Rivendell Valley
[4] Pass of Caradhras
[5] Bridge
[6] Lothlorien Woods
[7] Silverlode Banks
[8] Anduin Banks
[9] Slopes of Amon Hen

Freeps (33)

Frodo, RA
The One Ring, The Ruling Ring

Legolas, Greenleaf (start)
Arwen, Daughter of Elrond (start)
Borodin LoG x2
Aragorn, King in Exile x3
Sam, Son of Hamfast

Celeborn
Galadriel x2
Orophin
Rumil

Aragorn's Bow x2
Asfaloth x2
Flaming Brand x2
Elven Bow
Ranger's Sword
Sting

No Stranger to the Shadows x2
Last Alliance of Men and Elves
Tale of Gil-Galad

Swordarm of Northern Kingdom x4
Pathfinder x2
Ranger's Versatility x2

Shadow (33)

Ulaire Enquea x2
Uruk Fighter x4
Uruk Slayer x4
Uruk Warrior x4
Uruk Lieutenant x3
Troop of Uruk-hai x3
Uruk Savage x3
Blaring, Durins Bane

Saruman's Ambition x2
Bred for Battle x2
Savagery to Match x2
Spies of Saruman x2
Uruk-hai Armory x2
Beyond Height of Men

Questions:
1. Lurtz or Enquea?
2. Ally fighting on free people's side--Swan Ships gave me a way to get them included in fights. Without them, do you think this is an issue?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:11:12 PM by mattzarella »

January 17, 2016, 12:48:45 PM
Reply #5

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 12:48:45 PM »
Several issues to this deck. Based solely on the choices, I am going to presume that fewer rare cards are available. This makes it a bit more difficult, particularly if archery is the meta (and Gondor Bowmen is rampant).

My first thought to avoid archery is to play Anduin Wilderland. Build your deck to be able to withstand the skipped archery phase, and you will have an advantage. Everyone will have Aragorn (it's Fellowship block, after all), so Silverlode Banks might not be a boon for you.

I like the deck at 33 cards, but I don't see enough Free Peoples support. You have Aragorn and the Elves, but no Boromir to help out? Boromir, Lord of Gondor with an Armor can be a good fighter against the Balrog or Lurtz, Servant of Isengard. He also has the Aragorn signet with King in Exile. You could also consider Boromir, Son of Denethor for the Frodo assistance.

One each of Rumil and Orophin should do the trick, and Uruviel is extra. I'd like to see another Aragorn's Bow, and a Flaming Brand or two for Nazgul protection--particularly if archery is the meta (you should be prepared for Relentless Charge). Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom is a stronger choice than Defiance, as you won't want Legolas fighting anyways. Mithril-Coat can help against archery, and Bounder is a good call if you don't pack Boromir, Son of Denethor. Just things to consider.

The Shadow side is concerning. Uruk Guard is one of the weaker Uruks in the set (in my opinion), so I'd prefer to see a fourth Uruk Lieutenant and a few Uruk Savage.

Saruman, Keeper of Isengard would be ideal, but let's presume he's not available. What about Spies of Saruman to skip the archery phase altogether? Uruk Savage has the excess vitality to play the condition if necessary. No reason not to run four copies of Savagery to Match Their Numbers, unless you don't have them.

A single copy of The Balrog, Durin's Bane might get you out of a bind.

Hope these thoughts help. Good luck.
-wtk

+2 Boromir, Lord of Gondor (or Boromir, Son of Denethor)
+1 Aragorn's Bow
+3 Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom

-1 Rumil, Elven Protector
-1 Uruviel, Maid of Lorien
-4 Defiance

+2 Uruk Savage
+1 Uruk Lieutenant
+2 Spies of Saruman
+2 Savagery to Match Their Numbers
+1 The Balrog, Durin's Bane

-4 Uruk Guard
-2 Uruk Slayer
-2 Their Arrows Enrage

January 17, 2016, 07:04:47 PM
Reply #6

mattzarella

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 07:04:47 PM »
Don't have them unfortunately, but perhaps Bred for Battle x3 and 1 more Uruk Savage in place of the Savagery and 4th Lieutenant? I've a singleton Lurtz Battle Cry as well.

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.

January 18, 2016, 08:32:06 AM
Reply #7

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 08:32:06 AM »
I think Saruman's Ambition is better than Bred for Battle if you've got more of them instead. It remains in play, cheapens Beyond the Height of Men and is free, whereas Bred for Battle requires an exertion and can clog your hand (I'm not saying you shouldn't use Bred for Battle, but I'd prioritise Ambition first). Regarding an earlier question, I'd use 1x Greed and 1x Lurtz rather than 2x Enquea - you've already got quite a bit of large Fellowship hate, and Greed in my opinion is better than Enquea. Lurtz, while a bit expensive, is a solid minion and is desirable in a deck that doesn't use Saruman. Lurtz's Battle Cry is another good card, as it lets you land a surprise kill in a single skirmish, and is also free with an Ambition on the table. Personally I don't mind Uruk Guard, but I agree that his ability is not always useful.