LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Avoid the welcoming troll, shall we?  (Read 2428 times)

February 10, 2016, 06:16:49 PM
Read 2428 times

daisukeman

• Information Offline
  • Troll
  • Evil Bilbo is always appropiate for this forum
Avoid the welcoming troll, shall we?
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
Hey all,
You may possibly have seen before my opinions about the images that our beloved gemp lotr uses in its login page, or you may not surprisingly, share those same opinions.
The thing is that these images do not make justice to the great site MarcinS built and do not seem to be able to seduce newcomers --someone even said once/recently to be "unsure of trusting the site" and actually referred to his registration as "a gamble". Or, just because I personally loathe the puny warrior-like "man" from the 80's, and the troll actually showing his troll-nipples, rags and all, I have a proposal to change such login images very easily.

First of all, I'm talking about these:

At this point these links should have already given some of you a clue: if we just replace the images with new ones, no coding by itself is necessary in gemp (and I would agree that changing the images should not be worth if it otherwise implies code changes/risk and testing).
Furthermore, I have validated this approach by saving the login page's source code locally in my machine (for those using Chrome: view-source:http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/), and previewing it with the new images.
I've attached the 2 images, "man.png" and "troll.png" that I have adjusted for this matter, along with a preview of how it would look with those (without the login box because that box seems to be built dynamically using jQuery and I did not go through the trouble of saving all the linked .js files locally).
Download or preview:

I know, while dedicating more time I could even find better images, adapt them to fit exactly (i.e, no need to use images with such height that make the page "feel" like it needs vertical scrolling), and overall, do a better job --or someone else with designer skills while using gradient fills, transparency, etc-.
But hopefully this exercise and proposal illustrates how easy it would be to change the current login images in a code change free approach (again, this means no risks or downside effects and no need of testing it).

Anyone with me?  :uh-huh:
If so, can someone do such image-replace task or help sending the request to MarcinS?

Please comment so that we can all see if this is possible and hopefully roll out this change.
You know, looks sell too!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:21:04 PM by daisukeman »
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that i'm right...

February 10, 2016, 06:50:55 PM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Avoid the welcoming troll, shall we?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:50:55 PM »
Nothing would make me happier than to get rid of that troll.
-wtk

February 11, 2016, 07:39:06 AM
Reply #2

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:39:06 AM »
Agreed. I actually thought the same thing about trusting the site when I first joined.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

February 17, 2016, 05:08:22 PM
Reply #3

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 05:08:22 PM »
I don't like the Troll. But always liked the warrior. He's IDENTICAL to a politician of my country. Marcelo Diaz, the Chilean gov't spokesman, no more no less :lol::

Jokes (and politics) apart, I support this idea.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

February 19, 2016, 07:28:25 AM
Reply #4

Dmessy

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:28:25 AM »
Absolutely. PLEASE do this! The only reason I signed up was because it didn't ask for an email. If it did I would not have joined.
I think something should go here.