LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: WOTR Revised  (Read 2371 times)

July 28, 2016, 05:38:32 AM
Read 2371 times

Couatl

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
WOTR Revised
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:38:32 AM »
Something must be done for the WOTR limnited format. The Gandalf deck is completely overpowered in the first series, as is the evil man deck in the third. In fact it is so much overpowered that makes useless the play of other decks and everyone who picks different decks is at a huge disadvantege.

Anyone for a WOTR Revised? I can help with the deck design if you want :)

July 28, 2016, 11:41:15 AM
Reply #1

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Re: WOTR Revised
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:41:15 AM »
WotR Sealed is fine. Don't get me wrong, the Gandalf deck is good, but it is by no means invincible.  Aragorn can handle it easily as Aragorn can kill a nazgul with a sword and Pledge of Loyalty (plus one exertion). If you don't flood the pool, that's an easy double.  I am assuming Riders in Black still isn't working-that would make the Nazzies that bit tougher.  Eowyn is solid as well, as it comes with some good pumps. Just don't play six companions, lose them and take burdens from Drawn to its Power. The Legolas deck is terrible, though.

The Gandalf fellowship is good, but can have trouble finishing minions off.  This makes doubling difficult-play some minions that won't die, and hold enough cheaper ones in hand for a swarm.  The important thing to work out is whether to go for Gandalf or Frodo based on the pumps already used.

As for Stragglers, you do really need the Mouth of Sauron deck in Series 2 to get set up properly. This means you miss out on Saruman who I find terrifying. Uruks played well are just as good as Stragglers, and you get them one series earlier. 

To beat Stragglers you need to be able to kill and have strength pumps.  Rohan with swords and spears is best at killing, but Aragorn does it nicely as well with the damage +1 from the swords.  Legolas is still terrible.  I find Stragglers to be most effective against the Hobbit set up: more reason to try something else.  Gandalf supporting Rohan is great fun, though.

July 29, 2016, 12:55:12 AM
Reply #2

Couatl

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 12:55:12 AM »
That does not explain 90% of people playing Gandalf and Stragglers later.

July 30, 2016, 02:01:32 AM
Reply #3

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 02:01:32 AM »
People have no imagination.  They just jump upon the bandwagon when they see everyone else using it.  It's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.  Many will not have tried other decks, so may never see their potential.