LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: How about a "Freestyle" format?  (Read 2421 times)

March 15, 2017, 10:04:24 AM
Read 2421 times

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
How about a "Freestyle" format?
« on: March 15, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »
Occasionally I hear players talk about new ideas they have for unofficial formats. Some I like, some I don't, but it got me thinking...

Revised Towers Standard was a format created primarily for testing purposes, for the Towers Standard Sealed League. In that format, all cards are legal, but the sites have to come from Towers Block. If that could be coded, it seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard to code a "freestyle" format, in which all cards are legal, and all sites are legal. This would allow players to experiment with their own "house" formats, with rules that they all agree to impose on themselves. It seems to me this could make for some really interesting and fun experiences. Players would just need to coordinate in the Game Hall when they put up a table, so they are on the same page as to what house rules they are playing. I think it could make for a really good casual play experience.

Thoughts?
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

March 16, 2017, 11:31:30 AM
Reply #1

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: How about a "Freestyle" format?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »
I think Revised Towers Standard, Open and Pre-shadows Multipath already give quite a few options in this regard, both for friends with fixed decks and just random players (Do people bother with Fruit Loops in Revised Towers Standard?) but if someone were to do this, I certainly wouldn't complain. Sites would probably give the most trouble, both coding and rules-wise.

Interestingly though, Revised Towers Standard and Pre-shadows Multipath are rarely played, despite the various options they give, so I wonder if such a format would really be popular?
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

March 16, 2017, 07:18:58 PM
Reply #2

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »
I think Revised Towers Standard, Open and Pre-shadows Multipath already give quite a few options in this regard, both for friends with fixed decks and just random players (Do people bother with Fruit Loops in Revised Towers Standard?).

Revised Towers Standard makes it sound like it's basically a modified version of Towers Standard, which it is not. It's literally a format for testing things for TS Sealed. It's the closest thing we have to a "freestyle," but the site limitations do limit the possibility for testing new format ideas. In many ways, the site path defines the format.

Open is a legal format, not really a testing environment.

Pre-Shadows Multipath is a specific format, one which I (and probably many others) don't particularly understand. So, it's fine for those who like Pre-Shadows Multipath, but for those who want to test out new house rules, it doesn't really fit the bill.

but if someone were to do this, I certainly wouldn't complain. Sites would probably give the most trouble, both coding and rules-wise.

Pre-Shadows Multipath says "Sites from block: Special." How do the sites work for that format? That one's got weird site rules, might give us a hint as to how things would need to be coded for a true "freestyle" format.

Interestingly though, Revised Towers Standard and Pre-shadows Multipath are rarely played, despite the various options they give, so I wonder if such a format would really be popular?

Players gravitate towards what they understand, that being popular legal formats. RTS was (as far as I know) only made for playtesting purposes, so it never really felt right for me to try to play it, if I'm not actually testing anything.

It might be interesting to have a no-holds-barred TSR constructed league, though! That would really encourage people to take a closer look at the possibilities with that format.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

March 18, 2017, 07:01:14 AM
Reply #3

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 07:01:14 AM »
Revised Towers Standard makes it sound like it's basically a modified version of Towers Standard, which it is not. It's literally a format for testing things for TS Sealed. It's the closest thing we have to a "freestyle," but the site limitations do limit the possibility for testing new format ideas. In many ways, the site path defines the format.
That's true.

Open is a legal format, not really a testing environment.
True, but Open allows most of the cards. I guess it depends what a player wants to test.

Pre-Shadows Multipath says "Sites from block: Special." How do the sites work for that format? That one's got weird site rules, might give us a hint as to how things would need to be coded for a true "freestyle" format.
It's similar to Movie Block, but you can use a Fellowship site path, Towers site path or King site path instead of just King. All your sites still have to be from the same block. I played it a couple times, since it allows interesting combos like The Riddermark + Elessar Telcontar, or Tol Brandir + Ugluk & friends. I sometimes find the King site path a little boring.

Pre-Shadows Multipath also has a stronger X-List, one which includes GLR, Dauntless Hunter and Son of Hamfast. I often hear complaints about some of these cards (Guess which one primarily ;)) but everyone still plays Movie.

Pre-Shadows Multipath is a specific format, one which I (and probably many others) don't particularly understand. So, it's fine for those who like Pre-Shadows Multipath, but for those who want to test out new house rules, it doesn't really fit the bill.
Yeah it's not great for testing as it's quite restrictive. I mention it only because it allows some combos not possible in other formats.

Regardless, I'm not against "Freestyle", but I think some of your points emphasise the fact it might not get used much. As you said, most people play the popular formats.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.