LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gorns Fearless Peeps/Tentacles Are Coming  (Read 2806 times)

May 09, 2017, 07:38:54 PM
Read 2806 times

Deckhunter

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Gorns Fearless Peeps/Tentacles Are Coming
« on: May 09, 2017, 07:38:54 PM »
This deck came about after looking through some of my old decklists and finding a stupid old open deck. I decided to revamp it and put its insanity to the expanded format with only its core combo still intact.

Still needs some tweaking, but here you go.

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Hope of Free Peoples
Ring: The One Ring, The Great Ring
Starting fellowhip
1x Gimli, Dwarf of Erebor
1x Legolas, Fearless Marksman
1x Smeagol, Simple Stoor

Adventure deck:
Anduin Banks
Cavern Entrance
Neekerbreekers' Bog
City Gates
Fords of Isen
Mithlond
Dammed Gate-stream
Trollshaw Forest
The Prancing Pony

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
4x Aragorn, King in Exile
1x Armor of Khazad
1x Arod, Rohirrim Steed
1x Dwarven Bracers
1x Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
1x Gimli's Helm
1x Hand Axe
1x Arwen's Dagger
1x Asfaloth, Elven Steed
1x Bow of the Galadhrim
4x Elven Brooch
4x Elven Cloak
2x Elven Rope
1x Phial of Galadriel
2x Aragorn's Bow, Ranger's Longbow
1x Armor of the White City
4x Athelas
1x Boromir's Gauntlets
1x Flaming Brand
1x Horn of Boromir, The Great Horn
4x Kingsfoil
1x Knight's Mount
1x Ranger's Cloak
1x Shield of the White Tree
4x Brace of Coneys
1x Frodo's Cloak
1x Orc Armor
3x Salt from the Shire
1x Sam's Pack
3x Sting, Elven Long Knife
4x Naked Waste
4x Release Them
4x Something Slimy
4x These Are My People
4x Ever My Heart Rises
2x Forth the Three Hunters!, Gondor Version
4x Deagol, Fateful Finder

Shadow Draw Deck:
1x Gollum, Her Sneak
1x Gollum, Old Villain
2x Gollum, Plotting Deceiver
3x Grima, Wormtongue
2x Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit
4x Foul Tentacle
4x Goblin Runner
3x Goblin Sneak
4x Host of Moria, Legion of the Underdeeps
4x Huge Tentacle
4x Reaching Tentacle
4x Strong Tentacle
4x The Balrog, Demon of Might
2x Troll's Keyward
4x Watcher in the Water, Many-Tentacled Creature
3x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
3x Captured by the Ring
4x Led Astray
2x So Polite
4x Sudden Strike
3x Saruman's Power
4x Foul Things
4x Evil-smelling Fens
2x Final Strike
4x Dark Places
4x They Are Coming

The fellowship's goal is to get out three things as fast as possible to set up: Aragorn, King in Exile, Ever My Heart Rises, and These Are My People. Once you have them use emhr to throw a good portion o the draw deck into the discard, I like to get down to about sixty if I'm not to site four by the time this happens and thirty-five if I am, so that I'll bottom out at about site nine. Then use These Are My People to pull an army's worth of possessions from your discard pile to put on companions with the aragorn signet.
The main combo to protect your now tanky fellowship is the archery generated by Aragorn's Bow, Ranger's Longbow. The threats added by that make Gimli's axe, Trusted Weapon bring things up to now three archery and three wounds to the weakest minions. Sting removes two, and Frodo, Hope of the Free Peoples removes the last after getting healed by Aragorn and Sam's Pack.
Anything that gets past the archery then has to deal with four campanions of about ten strength and an RB with about fifteen resistance for the great ring to use.

The shadow centers around playing from the discard like it's nothing serious. Tentacles and moria orcs are the natural choice, with Host of Moria being played from discard easily using They Are Coming, all while cycling tentacles into the discard for a surprise swarm later. And if you need that extra twilight boost then you can just play goblin runners from the discard too. I also splashed in the balrog demon of might, shotgun enquea, grima, and saruman's power as my standard tentacle splash along with some things for the cave troll of moria to beat down the fellowship before the swarm.

As I said, this deck still needs quite a bit of work done, but it already works pretty well and I'd be happy to listen to any suggestions you might have on overall deck design and strategy.
Thanks.

May 10, 2017, 11:43:16 AM
Reply #1

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Gorns Fearless Peeps/Tentacles Are Coming
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
I would suggest to turn this to a movie block deck. It works just like this with Dunharrow Plateau.

On indivudal card suggestions... well, I'd suggest to check the movie section of the forums, pretty sure you can find plenty of lists for the same concept.

May 12, 2017, 09:28:40 AM
Reply #2

Deckhunter

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 09:28:40 AM »
After searching through three pages of search results and reading about four or five boards that actually mentioned the card I didn't find much in actual suggestions for this type of deck, mostly it was just splashed in without much support. I did, however, also notice that I forgot another handweapon for gorn and legolas, so I chose knight's spear and sword of the fallen, respectively.

As for converting the deck to movie format, it would lose quite a lot of functionality. For one, it wouldn't have the sweet archery loop with aragorn's bow, RL, and it would also loose the skirmishing power of simple stoor, and the pump power of naked waste.
More significant, though, would be that I'd have to entirely restructure the shadow to work without the ages end tentacles, which make playing from the discard viable against larger fellowships. On top of that, I would need to compete against movie metas, which include dauntless hunter (yuck), and Galadriel, LR (horrified screaming), who would slaughter any deck that relied on conditions to play minions from the discard pile.
So, as much as I enjoy movie despite not playing it often, I'm afraid this deck just wouldn't convert well, or wouldn't even be the same deck at all. Thanks for the suggestion anyways, though.

May 12, 2017, 11:02:44 AM
Reply #3

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
Cw0rk had an old deck for this in the Towers forums: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,2368.0.html. Movie is mentioned on the second page. The shadow really just needs to cycle, which is still doable in earlier formats. But tentacles are definitely the best fit here, since they not only cycle but also threaten a good few fellowships.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.