LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Allies Fighting  (Read 9012 times)

July 27, 2017, 10:39:39 AM
Read 9012 times

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Allies Fighting
« on: July 27, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »
I did a cut and paste from the Corba Card site to here for somebody to help me understand the mechanics behind this some.

Well, your ring-bearer won't have to bring any sunblock on this trip to Mt. Doom: Solo ringbearer (Somebody Gondor.) Did I say Solo? I did, didn't I. Well, that's because you have a TON o' little allies sitting in the background taking potshots at the minions. Let's take a look at the key cards here:
Rohirrim Bow. They don't have to be a companion to use this thing.
Rohirrim Javelin: Dittos.
Riddermark Javelin: Dittos…
Well Stored: Heals allies after the Bow exerts them.
Sword Rack: gets them back.
Armory: takes longer, but gets them back, too.
Yes, but what if that isn't enough archery? That's where the Gondor part comes in. Gondor Bowmen. What if the minions can't take archery wounds? Then add in pincushions to deal with those nasty minions by adding Fellowship-block Elven allies with Support of the Last Homely House and Swan-Ship of the Galadhrim. Oh yeah. And Thrarin with some hand axe, too.

With a really good setup, you can get over twenty archery if you need it.

You end up with something that looks like the following 37 or so card deck:

Gondor
(Whoever you have as RB)
Gondor Bowmen x4

Elven
Rumil, Elven Protector x1
Orophin, Lorien Bowman x1
Golradir, Councilor of Imladris x1
Saelbeth, Elven councilor x1
Swan-Ship of the Galadhrim x2
Support of the Last Homely House x2

Dwarven
Thrarin, Dwarven Smith x2
Hand Axe x4

Rohan
A bunch of Rohan allies; 4 or 5 should be good.
Rohirrim Bow x2
Rohirrim Javelin x2
Riddermark Javelin x4
Sword Rack x3
Armory x2
Well Stored X 2

I understand these two cards to help the Elf allies fight whenever, (Swan-Ship of the Galadhrim x2
Support of the Last Homely House x2 ) but there was no mention of cards to help the Rohan Allies fight whenever,don't they need something to allow them to skirmish whenever as well? That is the part that has me confused. And if so what cards are out there to allow them to fight? Maybe I am just missing something here.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:42:09 AM by Larry5000 »

July 27, 2017, 11:20:33 AM
Reply #1

Deckhunter

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Re: Allies Fighting
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »
Looks good, but I wouldn't say just any gondor RB. My choice would be Boromir with Horn of boromir and Stewards legacy. Then for some healing you use houses of healing and Faramir's company with one hearts raised to remove the threat and cycle. That Elrond, Herald to Gil Galad that heals companions should work well too. It goes with the allies theme while dishing out some extra exertions too. The oe thing that worries me is that you may put out too much twilight, maybe citadel of minas tirith instead of Houses of Healing?

July 27, 2017, 01:05:31 PM
Reply #2

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
Yea in someways Boromir might be a good choice. I just did not understand where he seemed to point out the main cards were the Rohan Javelins and Bows etc. and can be used on Allies instead of Companions. But offered no cards to put the allies in the skirmish mode like he did the elf allies.

Other then being at the Rohan Allies home site I assume you still have to have a way for them to be involved to fight, rather it be Archery, or Skirmishes? And yes I know Boromir's Horn will do that.

July 28, 2017, 07:37:33 AM
Reply #3

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 07:37:33 AM »
Select cards (e.g. Swan-Ship of the Galadhrim) make an ally participate in archery fire and skirmishes until the regroup phase.  This means that the ally can take archery wounds, adds 1 to the archery total if it's an archer, and can be assigned to skirmish.

Rohirrim Bow and the rest don't make their bearer an archer, so the bearer doesn't need to participate in archery fire.  These cards directly add to the archery total or wound a minion.  The deck doesn't expect the Rohan allies to skirmish: it uses them to power archery cards that kill all the minions so that no one has to skirmish.

When faced with a minion that can't take archery wounds, you will then pull up an ally to skirmish (e.g. via Swan-Ship of the Galadhrim)
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

July 28, 2017, 09:11:40 AM
Reply #4

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 09:11:40 AM »
Select cards (e.g. Swan-Ship of the Galadhrim) make an ally participate in archery fire and skirmishes until the regroup phase.  This means that the ally can take archery wounds, adds 1 to the archery total if it's an archer, and can be assigned to skirmish.

Rohirrim Bow and the rest don't make their bearer an archer, so the bearer doesn't need to participate in archery fire.  These cards directly add to the archery total or wound a minion.  The deck doesn't expect the Rohan allies to skirmish: it uses them to power archery cards that kill all the minions so that no one has to skirmish.

When faced with a minion that can't take archery wounds, you will then pull up an ally to skirmish (e.g. via Swan-Ship of the Galadhrim)

So because it does not make them an archer is the reason they can participate just as if they are a companion during the archery phase?

July 28, 2017, 09:49:48 AM
Reply #5

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 09:49:48 AM »
So because it does not make them an archer is the reason they can participate just as if they are a companion during the archery phase?
The Rohirrim Bow is an Archery Action. Look at, say, Hlafwine, Village Farmhand. If you wanted to use his skirmish text, you could do so (even if you are not at his home site). Similarly, applying a Rohirrim Bow to the ally gives him archery text.

A better example: if you have Elrond, Herald to Gil-Galad and give him an Elven Bow, he would only add archery when at his home site (or when drawn into the fray with Horn of Boromir, One Whom Men Would Follow, or Support of the Last Homely House). On the other hand, you could give Elrond, Herald of Gil-Galad a Naith Longbow. Now he has an Archery Action which can be used at any archery phase--even those away from his home site.
-wtk

July 28, 2017, 09:56:07 AM
Reply #6

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 09:56:07 AM »
The Rohirrim Bow is an Archery Action. Look at, say, Hlafwine, Village Farmhand. If you wanted to use his skirmish text, you could do so (even if you are not at his home site). Similarly, applying a Rohirrim Bow to the ally gives him archery text.

A better example: if you have Elrond, Herald to Gil-Galad and give him an Elven Bow, he would only add archery when at his home site (or when drawn into the fray with Horn of Boromir, One Whom Men Would Follow, or Support of the Last Homely House). On the other hand, you could give Elrond, Herald of Gil-Galad a Naith Longbow. Now he has an Archery Action which can be used at any archery phase--even those away from his home site.
-wtk

Very cool. Thank you so much.

August 27, 2017, 02:20:52 AM
Reply #7

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 02:20:52 AM »
Because of what we talked about above on Rohan allies using bows and javelins to increase the archery total or wound a minion with out having to bring them into the fight. Will the card The Splendor of Their Banners allow Elf archer allies to do the same thing during an archery phase without having to actually bring them into battle?

August 27, 2017, 03:01:28 AM
Reply #8

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 03:01:28 AM »
You can't play The Splendor of their Banners on allies.

August 27, 2017, 04:15:28 AM
Reply #9

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 04:15:28 AM »
Dear Larry:
Read the first sentence of The Splendor of Their Banners
and you have your answer

August 27, 2017, 11:00:59 AM
Reply #10

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
Oh Sorry, yep I did not read that right. Oh well wishful thinking on my part I guess. Thanks guys.