LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Reviving My Cards  (Read 2747 times)

April 13, 2018, 05:38:58 PM
Read 2747 times

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Reviving My Cards
« on: April 13, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »
Hello all,

It's been about 4 years since the last reset to the "My Cards" collection. That's also right around when I started playing, so many of you know far more about that than I do. A lot of things ensued, but for the past several years the personal collections have been neglected entirely. At this point, because nobody is able to use My Cards, it seems to reason that everyone would gain from a reset (though it could be argued that some would lose more than others). Trouble is - to what end? Either peoples collections will fill up to the point where it's the same as casual play or unwanted resets take away any progress.

Having lived in the first reality, this is not the way My Cards should be. There need to be resets, but I know many people were very frustrated with the second reality too. Is there a way to make resets wanted, or at least accepted? Well, an idea has struck me and I'm looking for some criticism.

Several games have a "seasonal ranked" structure. Players start the season on equal footing and compete until the end of the season. At that point, all players' ranks are evaluated and reset back to the baseline and players receive some sort of prize for how well they do (and potentially one for participation). The prizes are usually purely aesthetic, a symbol of prestige rather than an edge on the competition. There are a few main benefits that I see to this style.

• Everything is routine: players know the reset is coming from the start of the season, and there's a normalized schedule to how it all works.
• Late-comers are not greatly penalized: a highly skilled player coming in half-way through the season may not be able to rack up the same number of wins as an average player who was in from the start, but the skilled player can simply wait for the next reset for redemption (and knows how long the wait will be).
• There's a reason to play outside of the season itself: you lose all of your stats, but gain something that persists.

Now, I don't think there's any reason to introduce another way to play LotR ranked. The leagues are already a fine way (in my opinion) to pit one player against another a variety of different ways. However, this style could have an interesting application to My Cards collections. Instead of a ranking, it's your collection of cards. The season should last long enough that people can collect what they'd like to have, but not so long that collecting becomes arbitrary - I'd propose a year for length (or perhaps 11 months, with a break from mid-December to mid-January). It won't be as easy for someone starting in July to just wait for the next reset, but it shouldn't be impossible to win games and have some fun with My Cards until then, either.

As for the third reason, I'm looking for suggestions. We have permanent Tengwar collections, which is really cool but not altogether worth a year-long play stretch (plus I don't propose a Tengwar reset, so it's a less valuable prize). Next are the spectacular Promo versions of some characters - currently nigh impossible to get and worth coveting. I think the current (defunct) way to obtain these cards has to do with My Cards already, so this could be an easy change. I'd really love for these to be seen more often without being commonplace, so perhaps this could work. Maybe someone from days gone by can come by and explain how it worked previously.

So, thoughts? A vain crusade, or a feasible endeavor?

April 14, 2018, 07:00:06 AM
Reply #1

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Reviving My Cards
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:00:06 AM »
My thoughts, in no particular order:

- Foil cards are not that valuable. Some players collect them, some don't care (Me), and some hate them. This came up in the lobby yesterday. it's not a huge deal, but I do find it odd that RFs are League prizes (and are supposedly better than Tengwars?! What?).

- Cards in the Merchant seem to be really cheap IMO. I can buy a booster for 10G, or any rare that I want, any 10 uncommons that I want or any 20 commons that I want. Why buy a booster?

- The only cards that seem to have value are the ones that cannot be bought. This is Tengwars, Promos, Reprints (Again, why?) and Masterworks. It would be nice if these had some degree of permanence or were easier to obtain. I think Tengwars are balanced, but the AIs are really hard to get (as you mentioned) and one will usually get a duff one because it's random. Reprints and Masterworks have to come from boosters, but getting the one you want can be very hard (I still don't have every Masterworks). There's also no real need to limit reprints IMO, I think they used to purchasable. If they are going to be limited, why limit it by booster? It's just annoying.

- Given how stagnant the current environment is, I feel like it would be hard to go wrong with trying to improve things. Sure, there'd be a few cards I would miss with a reset, but if that makes them easier to obtain in the future, it can't be that bad of a thing.

- AIs are only hard to get because nobody plays tournaments. since you only need to win one game to get one, they'd actually be pretty easy to get if tournaments happened all the time. This is a little disproportionate, because the other tournament awards are terrible.

- AIs are the most valuable type IMO. If they were a reward for leagues, I would probably play in leagues more often.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

April 17, 2018, 09:46:09 PM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:09 PM »
Remove foils and restore the free market. Provide nominal amounts of gold (1 pack's worth?) per win in My Cards games and 1/2 a pack of gold in My Cards losses.

Maintain a ‘god' account with unlimited gold that keeps all the best cards prohibitively expensive to encourage pack purchases.

Or do none of this, as the Market slows down the server for games.
-wtk

November 01, 2018, 11:58:15 AM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 11:58:15 AM »
Per our conversation, Phallen, you are correct. There are two people who like "My Cards."

- Those who want to collect everything. They're the Pokémon hunters of Gemp.
- Those who treat everything like a long-game sealed event. Those are the competitive My Cards folks.

Why not create a new bucket of league, the Cumulative Sealed League?

After each sealed league, if a player has participated in 30 of the 40 games, his or her sealed collection enters a new filter, "Accrued Sealed Collection." Then, maybe every third or fourth Sealed League, we could have an "Cumulative Sealed League" where you can access all of these cards?

Because everyone is pulling from the same card pool and getting the same number of packs, the format will skew towards heavy, active participators as time goes on. The other benefit is that current sealed leagues, which have a ton of participation drop-off after a few losses, might see a bit more late competition and more effort in participation.

Maybe you didn't get a lot of great draws and aren't that interested in your sealed collection, but really want to hold onto that Aragorn's Bow for a cumulative bout down the road? Seems like an easy way to drum up participation in a league that has almost 100 accounts with fewer than two match-ups.
-wtk

November 05, 2018, 09:48:34 AM
Reply #4

TheHumanHydra

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 09:48:34 AM »
Is there a way to get the alt-frame cards? If there were, and they either didn't get reset or were easy enough to re-obtain, I'd be interested in that.

November 09, 2018, 06:00:44 PM
Reply #5

tristelune

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »
My friend and I are using the My Cards in a special way. We used to play IRL before I moved, so we started to play on GEMP (and Skype). At some point, we sold everything we had in My Cards and started our own "league". We each bought the FOTR starters along with 10 boosters. We built some decks and played. After a little while, we bought more boosters. Now we are buying some every time we play. We always build our decks with the cards we have (yes, we have to trust each other). It is a lot of fun. After a while we did the same with MoM, then ROTEL. We are now playing TT block (after maybe a year and a half playing Fellowship block). We currently are at BOHD and will soon start buying EOF. Once we'll be done with TT bock, we'll probably start playing TS. And then ROTK block, then movie and so on. We will probably do this for years :) We never spent any money so we have plenty.

For us a reset would be absolutely terrible!!

I understand this kind of "league" is not possible for most of the players out there (but it could be, actually) but it's still a great way to use the My Cards option.

November 10, 2018, 02:34:46 AM
Reply #6

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 02:34:46 AM »
I'd mainly agree to ket, make a new filter for competitive My Cards so no-one can disagree reseting all the collected cards (honestly it would be really sad to see all those booster won in leagues just disappear.) but make it harder to get cards (maybe remove the option of buying singles or make it in general more difficult to get hands on gold/packs while still keeping it possible for new players to join in)
I'm aware it's difficult finding an option but I'm sure we can make it.
Go King Standard!

November 10, 2018, 02:37:32 AM
Reply #7

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 02:37:32 AM »
Oh, OR just make a 'My Cards' season (you proposed a year) like sealed leagues, only cards you used disappear, the rest goes in the normal My Cards filter.
Go King Standard!