LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: You Must Be Under 5ft to ride this Fellowship/Easterling Burden Beasts  (Read 3969 times)

August 20, 2018, 06:21:36 AM
Read 3969 times

RJH777

• Information Offline
  • Orc
FP (37):

Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
The One Ring, Such A Weight to Carry
Gimli, Son of Gloin - Starting
Merry, Friend to Sam - Starting
Pippin, Friend to Frodo - Starting

Sam, Son of Hamfast
Boromir, Son of Denethor
Farmer Maggot, Chaser of Rascals

Hobbit Sword x2
Gimli's Battle Axe x2
Hand Axe
Dwarven Bracers
Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs
Mithril-coat

Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom x4

The Shire Countryside x4
Everyone Knows x4
Birthday Present x2
A Light in His Mind x2
A Talent for not Being Seen x2
There and Back Again x2
Escape
The Tale of the Great Ring
O Elbereth! Githoniel!

Shadow (37):

Easterling Army x4
Easterling Captain x4
Easterling Lieutenant x3
Easterling Axeman x2
Easterling Footman x2
Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul

Easterling Polearm x4
Raider Bow x4

Vision from Afar x4
Red Wrath x2
New Fear x2

Small Hope x4
Ships of Great Draught

Free Peoples is focused on making small people big - Gimli takes on most things can between himself and a Merry with Escape and Everyone Knows can take down most things before you heal up with TSC and do it all again. Boromir is an emergency pump and then sacrifice (as is appropriate). Farmer Maggot provides extra Merry healing and thanks to Frodo gives you a free exert each turn for NFFatRoD.

Not sure if switching to Lockbearer would be better? Can't get the +4 of Son of Gloin but is a guaranteed +2 without exerting...the fellowship cycles well and is pretty low on twilight once set up. You only play one of the hand axe or Bracers (or one after discarding the other for its effect) if you suspect Wormtongue is about).

The shadow is a slightly more aggressive version of your usual captain crunch, small hope and the footman get you rolling and then vision from afar with the invincible captain or the lieutenant should rack burdens up. New Fear and Raider Bow is a nasty combo which again results in burdens. The aim isn't corruption, just to hit the magic 5 burdens at which point those damage+1 polearmed captains, red wrath and shotgun enquea should start dropping companions pretty quickly.

August 20, 2018, 10:34:10 AM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: You Must Be Under 5ft to ride this Fellowship/Easterling Burden Beasts
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 10:34:10 AM »
I wonder if Gimli, Faithful Companion wouldn't be a better choice as a main fighter? I also prefer Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon to the former, but with several weaker companions you could be prone to swarm. Ever My Heart Rises could allow for a quicker set-up if you bid high and start with Dunharrow Plateau. I honestly think that cycling would help since your deck is so large.

I think you have too few minions--16 in a 37 card shadow, even with Ships of Great Draught's recursion mechanics. New Fear might be superfluous, and Easterling Pillager serves a similar function as a minion. I'd almost rather see two or three boats with two or three Bows, as a Gandalf with Roll of Thunder could destroy your recursion.

August 20, 2018, 01:24:26 PM
Reply #2

RJH777

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 01:24:26 PM »
The trouble with that Gimli is I'm usually losing initiative to remove the burdens and then heal.

Ever my heart rises is a good idea, what would you recommend dropping? The original axe is there for exactly the purpose you called out about helping with swarm. Think I'm going to try and fit a PATHS in too although to be fair Frodo with Sting and O Elbereth is a base 7 and between Mithril-Coat, Tale of the Great Ring and Merry boosted with Everyone Knows I should be ok...

Just tested this and you're right there were too few minions. I like the New Fear over the Pillager just because it's post raider bow twilight so is much easier to use whereas I'd often rather use the pillagers cost on an Army or Enquea.

Maybe:

-2 Raider Bow
-1 New Fear
-2 Small Hope

+1 Ships of Great Draught
+1 Easterling Lieutenant
+1 Easterling Axeman
+1 Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
+1 Easterling Pillager

Would give 20 minions plus additional recursion. The other option is to cut a few of those cards mentioned and just drop the deck size to 34/34 as the freeps can easily lose a couple of conditions. Thoughts?

November 04, 2018, 03:40:57 AM
Reply #3

mathes

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 03:40:57 AM »
I disagree with the changes you suggested

The concern about the minion count is misplaced I believe.

This deck does not swarm, it doesn't really need to be swarming.
This deck is about getting to 2 burdens as soon as possible (4x Small hope are absolutely vital) and then drop 1-2 minion(S) per site (preferably Captain) with bow and polearm to eat 1-2 companions, or exhaust the only one that is able to take the beating without overwhelm.

My list is something like this:

4x Easterling Army
4x Easterling Captain
1x Easterling Footman
1x Easterling Regiment

4x Small hope

4x Easterling Polearm
4x Raider Bow
2x Ships of Great Draught

4x Vision from Afar
2x Red Wrath
2x Discovered
1x New Fear

1x Grima Wormtongue
2x Ulaire Enquea, LoM

This is 36 cards total, you might be able to cut up to two cards here (probably 1x Vision from afar), but personally I wouldn't as it hoses pretty much all ring bearers (in exception of super buffed frodo).