LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: King Standard Countrythreats - Some Secret Art of Initiative  (Read 2740 times)

November 07, 2018, 07:14:10 AM
Read 2740 times

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
King Standard Countrythreats - Some Secret Art of Initiative
« on: November 07, 2018, 07:14:10 AM »
Ok,

so some of you probably know this deck I played it for the last ~2 weeks and I'm currently 3-2 with it (on of the wins being a movie block opponent). And if you don't know the Fellowship, I'm sure you saw me playing around with the Shadow over here.

So let's get into it!

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
Ring: The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles

Fellowship (32):
1x Legolas, Greenleaf (starting)
1x Sam, Nice Sensible Hobbit(starting)
1x Smeagol, Always Helps (starting)
2x Aragorn, Driven by Need
1x Asfaloth
1x Bow of the Galadhrim
1x Long-knives of Legolas
4x Not Listening
3x Don't Follow the Lights
1x Anduril, Flame of the West
1x Sting, Baggins Heirloom
1x Hobbit Sword
4x Brace of Coneys
4x A Promise
4x The Shire Countryside
1x There and Back Again
1x Cliffs of Emyn Muil

Shadow (32):
4x Desert Sneak
2x Desert Runner
4x Orc Pursuer
4x Orc Stalker
2x Orc Seeker
1x Orc Patrol
3x Rout
4x Some Secret Art of Flame
3x Teeth of Mordor
3x Sauron's Hatred
2x Under the Watching Eye
1x Dead Marshes

Sites:
Steps of Edoras (will turn into Rohirrim Road)
King's Tent
Hall of the Kings
Pelennor Plain
Pelennor Flat
Minas Tirith First Circle
Pelennor Grassland
Cross Roads
Dagorlad

So the Fellowship trys to Pump Frodo and Sam using A Promise, There and Back Again, Swords and so on. On the road you kill guys with Legolas, Greenleaf and Don't Look at Them. If Smeagol and Don't Look at Them killed somebody, use Not Listening to remove burdens (if necessary add them first with the Ring) and heal alot via The Shire Countryside to have Legolas and Aragorn set up again.
 After using Smeagol twice, you use Aragorn, Driven by Need to reduce the threats again and have his strength set up again.
Frodo can push up Smeagol up to Strength 13! if necessary and then be healed back again with Not Listening and The Shire Countryside.

I'm mainly looking if you guys can help me if there is any especially bad match up and counters to that. Also I'm not sure on the ratios, maybe loosing some Braces and Not Listening or similar.

For the Shadow, you try to set up as early as possibly with SSAoF, Routs, UtWE, Teeths, Sauron's Hatred and so on.
Adding threats with Hatred to punish to much twilight and using your ambush, collecting guys on Teeth and slowly exhausting all companions up to on final push with the Southrons wounding and strong Ini Orcs. Eventually someone dies, then threats might finish the rest of.

Here I'm also not sure on the ratios and I'm looking for a way preventing Condition Discard or especially Gandalf. Are there any cards you feel missing?

Go King Standard!

November 07, 2018, 07:30:52 AM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: King Standard Countrythreats - Some Secret Art of Initiative
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 07:30:52 AM »
I think a couple copies of Hobbit Intuition would go a long way, personally. I know when I have beat this deck (or versions of it), a quick kill of one of the Hobbits or Smeagol really sets the rest back.

The other place this deck can be beaten is just by running. I've had a few matchups against versions of this shadow where the lack of minions works against you and I can almost walk to site 9. I understand Sauron's Hatred costs (0), but Fires Raged Unchecked might be a better card for you if you think you can pick up a threat or two along the way (namely, in Hall of the Kings). Desert Lord and/or Hate could be welcome additions to the shadow.

The Shadow feels like it would work best with a Dwarven free peoples, as cards like Delving and Calculated Risk could extend your hand significantly.
-wtk

November 07, 2018, 07:49:20 AM
Reply #2

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: King Standard Countrythreats - Some Secret Art of Initiative
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 07:49:20 AM »
Hmm, so the thing with Sauron's Hatred is, that it really adds a lot against big fellowships which add more twilight than I normally use and the threat mechanic works perfectly hand in hand with some exhausted companions but I see your (though I don't thing Fires Raged Unchecked does a lot here, rather would look if there are more useful cards).

Hobbit Intuition is a thing even though I am normally not into pumps that much.
As you may know I tried Hate and it has a similar problem as the rest of the deck: It has to come to the right time but always comes to early (in contrast to SSAoF which seems to come to late).
Go King Standard!