LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: New to the game, 1st deck advise  (Read 3707 times)

September 19, 2019, 02:07:55 PM
Read 3707 times

Chinook

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
New to the game, 1st deck advise
« on: September 19, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »
Hey all,

Brand new to the game and I am looking for some advise on a deck I am working on. I am just learning the interactions and what is good and not in a deck, so would appreciate some constructive feedback on this list to see if I am on the right path.

List as follows:

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Son of Drogo
Ring: The One Ring, The Ruling Ring

Adventure deck:
East Road
Midgewater Marshes
Rivendell Terrace
Moria Lake
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Dimrill Dale
Anduin Confluence
Shores of Nen Hithoel
Slopes of Amon Hen

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
4x Dwarf Guard
2x Farin, Dwarven Emissary
2x Gimli, Dwarf of Erebor
1x Grimir, Dwarven Elder,
1x Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
2x Dwarven Armor
2x Dwarven Axe
4x Axe Strike
4x Battle Fury
4x Cleaving Blow
2x Delving
2x Halls of My Home
3x Their Halls of Stone
1x Lord of Moria

Shadow Draw Deck:
2x Uruk Rager
2x Uruk Savage
2x Uruk Shaman
3x Uruk Slayer
4x Uruk Soldier
2x Uruk-hai Raiding Party
3x Uruk-hai Sword
4x Bred for Battle
2x Saruman's Power
4x Saruman's Ambition
2x Saruman's Snows
2x Uruk-hai Armory
2x Worry

September 19, 2019, 02:37:42 PM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: New to the game, 1st deck advise
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »
Welcome to the game, Gemp, and the forums.

The first thing I would note is that you are entirely using cards from the first set--Fellowship of the Ring. Fellowship Block is actually the first three sets: Fellowship of the Ring, Mines of Moria, and Realms of the Elf Lords. Considering your deck is Dwarf-heavy, you are missing some of the strongest cards for your free peoples in the Mines of Moria set. I would also immediately note your lack of rare cards...this puts you at a distinct disadvantage.

Dwarves are an interesting culture, because they are quite hardy and a lot of their possessions are low-cost cards. So you can end up with a lot of beefy, strong companions who can win (or survive) skirmishes. They also have one of the best card drawing abilities, emulating their greed to "mine" your deck for more cards. That said, Dwarves do not have strong condition removal which makes them susceptible to [Sauron] trackers and Nazgul, specifically.

With that in mind, let's start by looking at your free peoples side on a whole. The first thing I would note is that poor Frodo has no support to speak of. No matter what, you want a Hobbit Sword at the very least. But realistically you'll learn that a Fellowship Block deck is not complete without at least two copies of Hobbit Stealth. This card will allow you to dodge skirmishes against the Balrog or other high-profile minions like Lurtz, Servant of Isengard or Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Deep. I would recommend two.

Let's start the deck from the very beginning, slowly introducing cards by set. In this comment, I will try to stick entirely to FotR cards. In a later comment, I'll then address the deck while supplementing with Mines of Moria cards. Finally, we'll take a look at cards from Realms of the Elf Lords.

Ring-Bearer: You have two choices--Frodo, Son of Drogo and Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir. Son of Drogo's game text does not help you when you consider your choices of Gimli--Son of Gloin or Dwarf of Erebor. On the other hand, Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir could serve a use if we add a [Shire] ally or two.

Let's start with Old Bilbo's Heir.

As for the ring, you have two choices: The Ruling Ring or Isildur's Bane. Isildur's Bane is better in that it provides more vitality for the ring-bearer and the response action can happen in any phase. By comparison, the Ruling Ring is largely limited to the Skirmish phase, but wounds are converted into singular burdens. Because you are new to the game, let's stick to the Ruling Ring until you are better equipped to make decisions regarding how many burdens your ring-bearer can manage.

Let's get that Hobbit some support! I've already mentioned two copies of Hobbit Stealth at a minimum, and a Hobbit Sword, but we can do even better. Frodo has his own sword--Sting! Sting is a rare card that allows you to scope out your opponent's hand and remove twilight if your opponent is playing Orcs. We definitely want a copy of that in the deck.

Take a look at Hobbit Intuition. Hobbit Intuition is similar to Hobbit Stealth in that it cancels skirmishes or provides a pump, but it only gets you through site four. I'm not saying you should use one over the other, but it's an important card and you will be better off to know both.

Additionally, we have Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir who can heal a Hobbit ally each turn. There is an immediate thought of someone worth adding to the deck: Bounder! Bounder will prevent your Frodo from succumbing to a smaller swarm of minions, as he increases the base amount to overwhelm Frodo. I recommend two copies in this version of the deck.

Another thing Dwarves aren't good at is removing burdens as they pile onto your ring-bearer. The best card in the game, hands down, is the uncommon Sam, Son of Hamfast. He's a lock to be included in almost every deck.

Let's talk about the guys we all came here for: the Dwarves! You don't have a lot of options for companions in Fellowship block. Dwarf Guard is basically Cave Troll fodder, and Farin, Dwarven Emissary has limited use against Uruk-Hai or Nazgul. That said, we'll do our best to improve this deck as we can.

Your two Gimli choices at this point are the rare Son of Gloin or the uncommon Gimli, Dwarf of Erebor. Rare cards are not always better than their less valuable counterparts, but in this case, Son of Gloin provides a little more punch in a deck that could use some. If you are in a close skirmish, you can take the risk of exerting Gimli to improve his strength in battle. Of course, you don't want to exert too much because you could lose a skirmish and the companion.

As I mentioned, Dwarf Guard is basically Uruk-Hai lunch meat, so we're going to need a few more companions to help out. Let's add someone who unites free peoples and provides cover for your other companions: Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk. Having multiple copies will help get him out sooner, and with a dwarf and your ring-bearer he will be at least strength 8. Of course, we can toughen him up with his sword, Glamdring which functions similarly to Sting.

Gandalf has a handful of spells that will be very helpful. One of which is Strength of Spirit. Imagine being able to "exert" Gimli to make him strength +2, but not have to place the token on him! You can also use that same card for Sting, Glamdring, or other exertion-based cards.

In the place of dwarves that will come in future sets, let's lengthen your free peoples with Aragorn, Ranger of the North and Boromir, Son of Denethor. Both are incredibly important against [Moria] swarm decks as they can keep Frodo tough and keep enemies off of Frodo.

We're also going to chip in a free people condition: Greatest Kingdom of My People. The card is unique, but can be devastating to both [Sauron] and [Moria] shadows in Fellowship block. I added in a few possessions, and you are looking at a jaunty 34 card free peoples.

Ring-Bearer: Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir

Free Peoples (34):
Gimli, Son of Gloin (starting)
Farin, Dwarven Emissary (starting)
Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk x4
Aragorn, Ranger of the North
Boromir, Son of Denethor
Sam, Son of Hamfast

Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
Bounder x2

Gimli's Battle Axe
Dwarven Axe x2
Dwarven Armor
Glamdring
Sting

Greatest Kingdom of My People

Axe Strike x4
Delving x2
Here Lies Balin, Son of Fundin
Servant of the Secret Fire x2
Strength of Spirit x3
Hobbit Stealth x2
Hobbit Intuition

Stay tuned for more help with the shadow side!
-wtk

September 19, 2019, 02:59:19 PM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 02:59:19 PM »
There are three ways to win the game, and two of them are from the Shadow Side:
  - Survive as free peoples through site 9
  - Kill your opponent's ring-bearer
  - Corrupt your opponent's ring-bearer

I am going to stick with the same "rules" as my previous post and only use set 1 cards, expanding to set 2 in future responses, but I am going to address a few basic tenants for building a good shadow side.

1. You don't want too many high-priced minions, or you will be stuck with hands where you can't play them. To that note, being able to cycle is key.
2. You want a way to discourage your opponent from playing large fellowships--we'll talk about that shortly.
3. You want extra "oomph" to get through tough companions like Aragorn or Gandalf, especially as future sets give them strong support cards.
4. If you are a condition-heavy Shadow, you live and die by your support area; there are some nuclear options to clear support areas quickly in Fellowship block (Sleep, Caradhras and Saruman's Power).

It looks like you are focusing on Uruk-Hai. Uruks are generally regarded as the strongest shadow in Fellowship block (bolstered by the addition of Saruman in set 3). Even still, you will probably find this to be a rare-heavy shadow side. Luckily, you can use any card in Gemp without recourse.

One of the most important cards in an Uruk deck (in Fellowship block) is Savagery to Match Their Numbers. A simple skirmish pump can be deadly if your opponent has five companions, as the strength bonus applies through the second, fierce skirmishes. Easy recommendation to have four.

On the other hand, there will be times when you want to limit your opponent's ability to play skirmish pumps. In that case, Saruman's Snows is one of the most interesting cards in the block. The spell of Saruman entirely removes the ability for either player to use skirmish pumps from hand or via special skirmish abilities. That means if it was played against you, your Gimli's text or Bounder would be entirely nullified.

As if Savagery to Match Their Numbers wouldn't discourage small fellowships, Isengard also has a card called Greed which, if played effectively, can wipe out fellowships efficiently. You can play a single, weak minion (like your Uruk Soldier) and use all remaining twilight in the maneuver phase to wound the fellowship. Don't leave wounds on the table--make sure to wound everyone as much as possible before giving the killing blow that would knock a fellowship down to five companions. Of course, the single copy of Ulaire Enquea (shotgun Enquea) is backup to discourage large fellowships.

After that, it's all about balancing the best [Isengard] minions for the task. Lurtz, Servant of Isengard is a beast when played alongside another minion. Almost as strong as the Witch-King, but with damage bonus and conditional fierce. Troop of Uruk-Hai is a great character to nullify a beefy Aragorn. Uruk Lieutenant encourages a swarm and is more powerful while more copies are in play.

Take a look at this listing.

Shadow Side (34):
Lurtz, Servant of Isengard
Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
Orthanc Assassin
Troop of Uruk-Hai x3
Uruk Rager x4
Uruk Warrior x2
Uruk Lieutenant x4
Uruk Fighter x2
Uruk Soldier x3

Greed
Saruman's Snows x2
Spies of Saruman
Worry x2

Saruman's Power
Savagery to Match Their Numbers x4
Bred For Battle
Lurtz's Battle Cry

Adventure Path:
Green Dragon Inn or Westfarthing
Trollshaw Forest
Council Courtyard
Moria Stairway
The Bridge of Khazad-Dum
Galadriel's Glade
Anduin Wilderland
Anduin Banks
Emyn Muil or Slopes of Amon Hen

To be abundantly clear...your goal here is simple. Beat down your opponents with big beefy minions.

Best of luck with the deck updates! Let us know how this fares before we break into set two: The Mines of Moria for additional ways to improve this deck!
-wtk
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:07:02 PM by ket_the_jet »

September 19, 2019, 03:27:25 PM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 03:27:25 PM »
I'll do Mines of Moria down the road, but let's look at what this deck does well (in theory):

Free Peoples:
- Strong companions
- Ring-bearer protection
- Slow and steady survivability, with ability to double move in pinch

Shadow Side:
- Strong minions with damage bonuses
- Savagery to Match Their Numbers...ouch!
- Surprise condition discarding (Saruman's Power)
- Crowd control with Shotgun Enquea and Greed

What are this deck's weaknesses?
Free Peoples:
- Could stand to cycle better. Ottar, Elrond, Lord of Rivendell, or even switching to Gimli, Dwarf of Erebor could potentially help balance your hands.
- No condition discarding. Sleep, Carahdras could help if you so choose.
- Limited burden removal and almost no healing outside of sanctuaries. You're counting on Gandalf to do heavy lifting, which could make him a target.

Shadow side:
- Cycling. Not much you can do if you end up with a hand of six skirmish pumps and no minions, or you have all of your conditions with no way to play them.
- Weakness to archery fellowships. Spies of Saruman and Anduin Wilderland will help, but nothing is worse than playing Lurtz then having him picked off in archery.

Just some additional things to consider, that we will hopefully address going forward!
-wtk

September 23, 2019, 10:11:33 AM
Reply #4

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »
Let's take a look at the Mines of Moria. First of all, let's review what the updated deck looks like:

Free Peoples (34):
Farin, Dwarven Emissary (starting)
Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk x4
Aragorn, Ranger of the North
Boromir, Son of Denethor
Sam, Son of Hamfast

Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
Bounder x2

Gimli's Battle Axe
Dwarven Axe x2
Dwarven Armor
Glamdring
Sting

Axe Strike x4
Delving x2
Here Lies Balin, Son of Fundin
Servant of the Secret Fire x2
Strength of Spirit x3
Hobbit Stealth x2
Hobbit Intuition

Shadow Side (34):
Lurtz, Servant of Isengard
Orthanc Assassin
Troop of Uruk-Hai x3
Uruk Rager x4
Uruk Warrior x2
Uruk Lieutenant x4
Uruk Fighter x2
Uruk Soldier x3

Greed
Saruman's Snows x2
Spies of Saruman
Worry x2

Saruman's Power
Bred For Battle
Lurtz's Battle Cry

Adventure Path:
Green Dragon Inn or Westfarthing
Trollshaw Forest
Council Courtyard
Moria Stairway
The Bridge of Khazad-Dum
Galadriel's Glade
Anduin Wilderland
Anduin Banks

_____________________________ _

You've played a number of games now, and the deck is still missing quite a bit of cohesion. If you get squeezed and cannot cycle your hand, you're stuck in a bad way. So we'll definitely look at that.

The Mines of Moria set added a lot to the [Dwarven] and [Moria] cultures, but also introduced some interesting new cards and strategies--Twilight Nazgul, Gandalf's Staff, the Balrog. One of the most powerful cards in the set, Filibert Bolger, Wily Rascal, is actually a common!

[Dwarven]
Your deck is going to become a lot more Dwarven-centric now. Let's take a look at the companions that the Mines of Moria set added to the culture.

Fror, Gimli's Kinsman looks a lot like Farin, Dwarven Emissary, but gets a strength bonus against Uruk-Hai instead of Orcs. Since Uruk-Hai are generally stronger than [Moria] and [Sauron] Orcs in set 1, Fror is often chosen as the companion starter with Gimli. The other Dwarf companion is our friend from the Hobbit, Gloin, Friend to Thorin. Gloin can become stronger with more tales in play. Your deck currently contains one support area tale--Greatest Kingdom of My People. We will definitely want to maximize Gloin's power by adding more tales to the deck.

Tales won't be the only thing beefing up our companions. In addition to the Dwarven Axe from set 1, Mines of Moria gives our companions even more gear, including Dwarven Bracers, Hand Axe, and even Endurance of Dwarves which can make your companions gigantic tanks. A maxed out Gloin, Friend to Thorin with a Dwarven Axe, Hand Axe, and Dwarven Bracers is a strength 13 beast. Flurry of Blows is an interesting skirmish pump that maximizes Dwarves' abilities to pile on weapons.

If your weapons are discarded, you can retrieve them with the support area condition (and tale, to boot) Beneath the Mountains. Beneath the Mountains maintains the "digging" culture note of dwarves, as they discard straight from the top of your draw deck to grab something from the discard pile. With cards like Beneath the Mountain and Realm of Dwarrowdelf potentially discarding straight from your draw deck, you could consider expanding your deck size from 68 cards to an even bigger amount.

There are other interesting cards that can assist Dwarves, including Disquiet of Our People, Great Works Begun There, and Till Durin Wakes Again. The latter of the group is (0) twilight and is non-unique, so you can easily toss a few in the support area for healing at sites 4 and 5 as well as strengthening Gloin.

Shire
As mentioned, the Shire gets some interesting cards, including Filibert Bolger. Bolger allows you to cancel fierce skirmishes, important for avoiding large minions like the Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit, The Witch-King, Lord of Angmar, and most of all, the Balrog.

Frodo can also get more gear with cards like Mithril-Coat and and O Elbereth! Gilthoniel! As mentioned in previous posts, Dwarves may lack shadow condition discarding, but Bilbo, Well-Spoken Gentlehobbit can help with that. He will discard some of your free peoples tales, but getting cards like Under the Watching Eye, Orc Bowmen, or They Are Coming out of play will be a boon.

Because we are increasing the number of Dwarven cards, we could probably stand to decrease some of the support cultures in our original deck. Here's a look at how I might set up this free peoples:

Ring: The One Ring, Isildur's Bane

Free Peoples (45):
Fror, Gimli's Kinsman (starting)
Farin, Dwarven Emissary x2
Gloin, Friend to Thorin x2
Sam, Son of Hamfast
Boromir, Son of Denethor

Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
Bilbo, Well-Spoken Gentlehobbit x2
Filibert Bolger, Wily Rascal
Bounder x2

Gimli's Battle Axe
Dwarven Axe x3
Dwarven Bracers x3
Hand Axe x3
Gimli's Helm
Dwarven Armor
Sting
Mithril-Coat

Beneath the Mountains x2
Realm of Dwarrowdelf
Till Durin Wakes Again x3
O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!

Axe Strike x2
Flurry of Blows x2
Delving x2
Hobbit Intuition
Hobbit Stealth x2

As you can see, the size of this deck ballooned to 45 cards. We may have to pare this down as we put together an appropriate shadow side for a deck this size.
-wtk

September 23, 2019, 03:47:37 PM
Reply #5

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »
At this point, we need to find 11 new cards for your Shadow side. The reality of [Isengard] is that they are not so great for cycling (though the addition of a particular Realms of the Elf Lords card does help). But we'll do that we can here.

The problem with Uruk-Hai, particularly in Fellowship block, is that they are expensive minions in a choking-heavy format. Uruk-Hai also somewhat rely on good hands of shadow events, which can potentially clog a hand further. Dwarves can help cycle a bit with cards like Delving allowing for larger draws on the free peoples' side (remember, the Rule of 4 means you can't take more than 4 cards into hand during the Fellowship block). But [Moria] and [Sauron] are more often paired with Dwarves due to the rapid cycling ability of the former and the "perfect hand" builds of the latter.

Uruk-Hai lose their roaming penalty at site 5; however, they have access to a new site, Hollin, which allows them to not be roaming at site 4. This is arguably the most important addition to Uruk-Hai in the Mines of Moria set.

Uruk Captain is a neat addition to the culture. Beyond being a strength 9 minion for [3], his game text allows you to potentially replay a minion from your discard pile. That said, Captain is unique, so he isn't worth running more than two copies, maximum.

So let's try this and see how it goes:

Shadow Side (45):
Lurtz, Servant of Isengard x2
Orthanc Assassin
Uruk Captain x2
Troop of Uruk-Hai x3
Uruk Rager x4
Uruk Warrior x2
Uruk Lieutenant x4
Uruk Fighter x3
Uruk Soldier x4

Greed
Saruman's Ambition
Saruman's Snows x2
Spies of Saruman
Worry x2

Beyond the Height of Men
Saruman's Power x2
Bred For Battle
Lurtz's Battle Cry

Adventure Path:
Hobbiton Party Field
Trollshaw Forest
Council Courtyard
Hollin
The Bridge of Khazad-Dum
Galadriel's Glade
Anduin Wilderland
Anduin Banks

The site path looks good, but the shadow side is a little cluttered. This probably won't cycle perfectly. Maybe we can get another opinion or two...
-wtk
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 03:49:19 PM by ket_the_jet »

September 25, 2019, 06:31:42 AM
Reply #6

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 06:31:42 AM »
So the deck right now would be 45/42 ;) But rather than find 3 more Shadow cards to add in, I'd look for 3 Free Peoples cards to cut out. Dwarven Armor is not a bad card, but with strong fighters (Gloin and Gimli) and swarm protection (Boromir) you won't have a ton of reason to worry about being overwhelmed -- you'd much rather draw one of those companions or some other Dwarven gear, so I'd remove that. Unfortunately, everything else has a clear purpose, which makes culling harder. What you remove next should depend on your play style. I would take out Dwarven Bracer (a great card, but I'm hoping Fror, Gimli, and Gloin will be able to stand up to Uruk-hai and that other wounding sources won't be so strong to need all 3) and a Bounder (again, great card but there's a lot of swarm support in here already). I'm keeping the events Hobbit Stealth and Hobbit Intuition because Dwarves really struggle against Nazgul and cancelling the skirmish will really help.

42/42 is pretty large for a deck, but Realm of Dwarrowdelf and Beneath the Mountains could take a big chunk of your deck away if you draw them early enough. I would still look to trim, but this is definitely a solid Dwarven/Uruk-hai deck without using any cards from set 3.

You mention you're brand new, so you probably didn't know how this deck would play -- what do you think? How does it fit your style or go against the way you want the game to be?