LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Old vs New Bill Ferny  (Read 2715 times)

April 10, 2020, 02:12:41 PM
Read 2715 times

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Old vs New Bill Ferny
« on: April 10, 2020, 02:12:41 PM »
Hey guys, recently been trying to improve my twilight nazzies deck and was thinking of adding some of the "new" Ferny, since old one is R-listed.

And then I thought about it... does it really need to still be restricted? When D decided to do it, it was because of the new ring-bearers. And then they released Agent of Saruman, which has a kill switch but on the other side, it's got tons of support to become way more deadly than old ferny ever was.

Old one obviously helps nazguls and all, but at this point, after Agent of Saruman was released, does it make sense to keep Bill restricted?

In terms of cultural enforcement, no changes were made, they're both splashable if you want to use him as pump or punish the ring bearer.

The fact that old one is site 2 and helps Nazguls (only in site two), plus the fact he doesn't have a kill switch, is it broken by today's standards? Is there any other interaction I'm not aware of?

I know the lists are not going to change, I was just thinking about it and wanted your opinion.

April 10, 2020, 02:48:19 PM
Reply #1

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
Re: Old vs New Bill Ferny
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 02:48:19 PM »
Agree, I don't see any game balance reason to keep it R-listed. Both actually have a killswitch: SSF's is any direct wounding card, while the one for AoS, with Pavise, is direct exerting. I think they just wanted to cycle out the earlier cards, similarly I don't see any reason to not make the Set 16 Wraiths interact with the Set 6 ones but that.

You can play around the restriction, by using All Life Flees to multiply his copies (like Hobbit Farmer + The Prancing Pony in FOTR block increases your copies of Aragorn), by paying [6] instead of [2]. Then you'd need things to pull him from discard (Morgul King, Morgul Squealer, Ring of Terror) for [2], or to recycle him (Morgul Skulker, Hatred Stirred) for [6] later. Or Flung into the Fray to keep him on board.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:55:18 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

April 10, 2020, 04:07:31 PM
Reply #2

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Re: Old vs New Bill Ferny
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »
I myself am a strong proponent of temporarily un-Ring/Xing cards to see how they fair in their original environments. Would SSF still be too much for Fellowship block? Would he find a home in Movie block? I want to know these things.