LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Glimpse of Fate / Enduring Nazgul  (Read 3270 times)

April 20, 2020, 08:38:49 AM
Read 3270 times

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Glimpse of Fate / Enduring Nazgul
« on: April 20, 2020, 08:38:49 AM »
Hey all,

Glimpse of Fate and Forearmed are probably my favourite cards in the game. I've played around with different ways of losing and regaining initiative a dozen different ways (Out of Darkness, Slaked Thirsts, Echoes of Valinor, etc.) but I'm always stymied by the inefficiency of the engine and its reliance on a single condition.

I've recently wondered whether a Bilbo ringbearer and Red Book of Westmarch could be used to create an initiative engine, but I'm unsure how to get down to 4 cards in Fellowship prior to beginning a Maneuver loop.

I'm also unsure how to recur Forearmed. Obviously, I would kill for Inside a Song or City of the Trees (Bloodlines).

How do I build a more reliable deck without using Lady Redeemed?

On the Shadow side, I find that the straight corruption build leaves me vulnerable to pre-skirmish direct wounding and any sort of hobbit shenanigans. I used to run 3-4 copies of Dark Whispers, which was awesome. Is there any way to create a deck which allows me to more reliably include at least 3 copies?

Ring-bearer: Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom
Ring: The One Ring, The Binding Ring

Adventure deck:
Rohirrim Road
King's Tent
Hall of the Kings
City of the Dead
Pelennor Flat
Minas Tirith Seventh Circle
Osgiliath Crossing
Morgulduin
Haunted Pass

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
2x Cirdan, The Shipwright
1x Elrond, Venerable Lord
1x Gil-galad, Elven High King
1x Glorfindel, Revealed in Wrath
1x Legolas, Greenleaf
3x Gandalf, Manager of Wizards
2x Banner of Elbereth
1x Bow of the Galadhrim, Gift of Galadriel
1x Aiglos
1x Nenya, Ring of Adamant
1x Vilya, Ring of Air
1x Gandalf's Staff
2x Company of Archers
1x Curse Their Foul Feet!
2x Elf-song
4x Forearmed
2x Stand Against Darkness
2x Still Needed
3x Glimpse of Fate
1x Brooding on Tomorrow

Shadow Draw Deck:
1x Sauron, The Lord of the Rings
2x Úlairë Cantëa, Thrall of the One
4x Úlairë Enquëa, Thrall of the One
1x Úlairë Lemenya, Thrall of the One
2x Úlairë Nelya, Thrall of the One
2x Úlairë Toldëa, Messenger of Morgul
1x Úlairë Toldëa, Thrall of the One
4x Fell Beast
1x Ithil Stone
2x Ring of Rancor
3x All Blades Perish
3x Between Nazgul and Prey
1x Dark Whispers
1x Fear
2x Bent on Discovery
1x Out of Sight and Shot
2x The Ring Draws Them
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

April 20, 2020, 07:07:44 PM
Reply #1

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Glimpse of Fate / Enduring Nazgul
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 07:07:44 PM »
I've recently wondered whether a Bilbo ringbearer and Red Book of Westmarch could be used to create an initiative engine, but I'm unsure how to get down to 4 cards in Fellowship prior to beginning a Maneuver loop.

1.) Sam, Resolute Halfling or Leowyn can discard down to 4

2.) The Shards of Narsil can lose/regain initiative in the fellowship phase 4 times

3.) Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom triggers The Red Book of Westmarch. You can use Birthday present + A Light in His Mind to a net loss of burdens.

I played various decks with these, fun, and decently powerful.

April 20, 2020, 08:02:29 PM
Reply #2

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:02:29 PM »
I'm also unsure how to recur Forearmed.
On Your Doorstep with Gandalf + Elrond KoV (or Strands of Elven Hair + a Dwarf) would do it.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

April 21, 2020, 09:16:00 AM
Reply #3

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 09:16:00 AM »
Man, both of those open up a bunch of new ideas! I tried to use On Your Doorstep for a while before I acquired Gandalf, Manager of Wizards (in a physical deck), but I never thought to combine with Strands of Elven Hair or Elrond.

The Leowyn option is also killer. I'll have to think about creating a starting fellowship that can meet the spot requirements for all the various pieces required. Now if only Feared Axemen could protect elven conditions as well...
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

April 23, 2020, 04:00:52 PM
Reply #4

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 04:00:52 PM »
The Leowyn option is also killer.

I would have expected you to know that trick from my old Rohan initiative deck! But I guess it only took a few games for you to refuse to play against it XD

April 24, 2020, 08:36:18 AM
Reply #5

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 08:36:18 AM »
Some actual advice: right now you have a lot of temporary skirmish buffs: Forearmed, Cirdan, Glimpse of Fate. At some point I think a few permanent strength modifiers are just more efficient: pushing one or two companions past 9 str would mean you could win some skirmishes without having to use these resources (or without having to use two in one skirmish). Asfaloth seems really good with King sites, or you could focus more on getting Gil-Galad + Aiglos out. I think the damage bonus from Gwemigil is important but I'm not sure if it's worth running Arwen.

Secondly, I think at some point utility cards help you more than winning every single skirmish. Hosts of the Last Alliance helps prevent Cirdan from getting Red Wrath'd, and I would try to have at least 2x Alliance Reforged for consistency. Maybe another Nenya- the healing is amazing, even if the secondary effect is a little redundant with Gandalf out. Shadow Between? Also, I might consider the regular Bow of the Galadhrim- it gives you more options I think.

April 25, 2020, 05:58:40 AM
Reply #6

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 05:58:40 AM »
I remember that deck. I believe Rohirrim Guard was more important for losing initiative than Leowyn. I also remember that the key point of dissension was over A Birthday Present. I thought there was no way in the nine circles of #$&*@! that it worked the way you said it did. Turns out you were right, although I still contend that the card tortures the English language.

The Asfaloth idea is a good one. The original version of the deck was trying to be Corsair proof (no possessions), but some are just too good to pass up. I've never been a fan of Alliance Reforged, what would I spend 3 twilight to draw 4 cards?

-Dave Barry

April 25, 2020, 07:26:03 AM
Reply #7

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 07:26:03 AM »
With Elrond, Gil-Galad, Cirdan, and Gandalf as your backup companions you're going to be adding a lot of twilight regardless, so the extra 3 is less likely to matter. Personally I'd say 3 twilight for 4 cards is absolutely worth it, and in your case if nothing else it will give you an extra -3 pump using Gandalf.
You could add in Glamdring- even if you're not up against orcs, the information is even more valuable when you're playing a deck that can twilight flood. It would help you avoid Red Wrath, which was always my main hope against this deck once I'd given up on ever winning a skirmish. Now that I think of it, the damage bonus would also be nice for cleaning up Glimpse of Fate'd enemies.