LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Help with Bilbo ringbearer  (Read 2074 times)

May 16, 2020, 05:27:29 PM
Read 2074 times

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
Help with Bilbo ringbearer
« on: May 16, 2020, 05:27:29 PM »
I need help building decks that revolve around Bilbo, Bearer of Things Burgled. I cannot find out what to do with this card other than use Consorting With Wizards, which I sadly only own one copy of. It seems that this Bilbo will be a almost useless addition to my collection due to the extremely high cost of paying 2 burdens or 3 twilight a turn. Does anyone else know any good uses for Bilbo either as a ring-bearer or companion?
Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

June 27, 2020, 12:46:40 AM
Reply #1

c_c_j

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: Help with Bilbo ringbearer
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 12:46:40 AM »
I've been using a "solo Bilbo" deck recently, but it's more of a "fun deck" rather than a good one. The protection given by Consorting With Wizards allows for some ridiculous double moves. Archery and fierce minions are really risky to play against, but hopefully the choke can mess up your opponent's card cycling and allow you to survive a bit longer. However, I don't play strictly in movie block format, and so I use The Great Ring in this deck. This allows for good skirmish survivability, unless you're in Cavern Entrance. If I were to use this in movie block, I would probably include more skirmish pumps.

(33)
Consorting With Wizards x4
Nice Imitation x3
There and Back Again x2
The Tale of the Great Ring x2
Hobbit Sword x2
Brace of Coneys x2
Sam's Pack
Bounder x3
O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
Stout and Sturdy x3
Hobbit Intuition x3
Phial of Galadriel, Star-glass
Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom x3
Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad x2
Vilya

June 27, 2020, 06:53:16 AM
Reply #2

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 06:53:16 AM »
Indeed, it's because of solo Bilbo that his restrictions are so harsh. His greatest assets are Consorting With Wizards and Red Book of Westmarch, though Practically Everyone Was Invited is much more useful when you can start Bilbo than when you have to draw him. 2 twilight is a lot to spend on some utility though, so I don't know anyone who uses him in the Fellowship instead of as Ring-bearer. I guess he could be fodder for a Great Elf Warrior deck?

The solo RB decks are some of the most fun to play and play against in my opinion, since they require both players to plan their moves more carefully. Certainly worth a few plays to see if it's something you enjoy as well. I think the most OP version of Bilbo uses Red Book of Westmarch and A Light in his Mind: play a tale to lose initiative and draw a card, gaining initiative... From the FP side it's not altogether better than simply packing 4 copies of Well-spoken Gentlehobbit, but you can use the extra deckspace and consistency in cycling to set up shadow hands and go for a kill early. You'll be able to peel burdens about as fast as you add them, so you can choke up your opponent's hand and generally make each of 4, 5, and 6 perilous sites for your opponent.

June 27, 2020, 01:25:24 PM
Reply #3

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 01:25:24 PM »
Here's one of my favorite Movie block decks, which features the Bilbo ringbearer. It's not terribly competitive by any means, but it makes reasonably good use of Bilbo's strengths. The first of these is Red Book of Westmarch. 18 cards in the free peoples side are tales, and many can be played in maneuver or skirmish, allowing for a lot of card draw in a single turn. This is convenient for maintaining initiative for Swept Away, but it's far more important for setting up the perfect shadow hand. I use this free peoples side with any shadow "bomb" type deck I want to play (the example Roaming Orcs are meant to kill/cripple the opponent at site 5). Generally I'm not saving event tales in hand for when the effect is most useful; I'll play a bunch at site 3-4 in order to have 7-8 shadow cards in hand going into my opponents turn when they move to site 5. Secondly, Consorting with Wizards can get you out of some dire situations with the free peoples, if threats blow up and Swept Away is on the field. It is possible to let a wraith get overwhelmed and clear threats for free, although free peoples wins are not what I was going for with this deck.

Tales and Wraiths/Roaming Orcs

Ring-bearer: Bilbo, Bearer of Things Burgled
Ring: The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry

Adventure deck:
Steps of Edoras
West Road
Hall of the Kings
Osgiliath Fallen
City Gates
Minas Tirith Sixth Circle
Pelennor Grassland
Morgul Vale
Dagorlad

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Aragorn, Driven by Need (Starting)
2x Cursed of Erech
1x Derufin
2x King of the Dead, Oathbreaker
2x Oathbreaker
1x Shadow Host
2x Sleepless Dead
1x Sam, Son of Hamfast
3x Red Book of Westmarch
4x Banner of the White Tree
3x Might of Numenor
4x Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom
3x Swept Away
2x Consorting With Wizards
2x The Tale of the Great Ring

Shadow Draw Deck:
3x Advance Captain
4x Advance Marauder
4x Advance Regular
4x Advance Scout
4x Orc Ambusher
3x Orc Assassin
1x Ithil Stone
2x Flames Within
4x Orc Banner
2x Rank and File
2x Sauron's Hatred

June 27, 2020, 01:51:37 PM
Reply #4

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 01:51:37 PM »
My first Bilbo deck used ents to drive up the twilight cost. I've got to say it was interesting (though I lost).
Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

June 27, 2020, 04:15:51 PM
Reply #5

Orophoin

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 04:15:51 PM »
How's this?
http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,11717.0.html

It's not the best of the best, but at a >75% win rate, it's certainly playable. And good fun, too! I was going to post it after 100 games, but 90 will do for the timely answer to this post.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:17:28 PM by Orophoin »