LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fellowship of the Ring Anthology Alterations  (Read 2578 times)

June 02, 2020, 11:00:09 AM
Read 2578 times

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Fellowship of the Ring Anthology Alterations
« on: June 02, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
Hi all,

When Decipher released the Fellowship Anthology boxes, they came with 18 'of the most well loved cards of the set'. While I certainly agree that they were an excellent selection, I do feel that there were a few missing. What changes would you make if you could do it again?

A few observations:
•Each culture (bar site) got at least one card, and generally at least 2 per culture with one character
•Each card type was represented at least once (except Ally)
•There was one common, one uncommon and the rest were rare
•No card appears on the X-list
•Mines of Moria had a few cards, but none came from Realms of the Elf Lords

Here are my thoughts:
The One Ring, Isildur's Bane - probably the card that appears in the highest proportion of decks in FotR. An easy keep
Gimli, Son of Gloin - most commonly played Dwarf. I'd keep.
Gimli's Battle Axe - I'd swap this out for the most powerful possession in the block: Aragorn's Bow
Arwen, Daughter of Elrond - I don't think she's all that, especially without Gwemegil, but she's so commonly played, it's hard to disagree.
Legolas, Greenleaf - easy keep
Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk - anyone notice how his vitality is only 3 on the Tengwar? But keep
Servant of the Secret Fire - I really like this card, but there are two more useful events: Savagery to Match Their Numbers, or Hate if you don't want an X-ed card
Aragorn, Ranger of the North - Better than King in Exile, and not X-ed like HttWC, but HttWC is so so good in the block that I feel he has to be in.
Boromir, Lord of Gondor - I'm going to go on a limb here and say that Defender of Minas Tirith should have been here. He's the best P card (even later sets only really have Mouth of Sauron, Saruman, Agent of the Dark Lord and Sam, Great Elf Warrior to challenge this). Plus I think I'll allow myself an extra card overall, so the number of rares stay the same.
The Saga of Elendil - Swap this out for the most important condition in the block: Goblin Armoury
Lurtz, Servant of Isengard - Powerful, but Saruman, Keeper of Isengard is more defining. Troop of Uruk Hai is better in the block, but only because of Saruman, so I would only swap him out for KoI.
Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit - a great card, but I'm going to swap it out for Elrond, HtGG. Lord of Rivendell is my favourite, but X-ed and I'd like one card from RotEL which isn't on the X-list.
The Balrog, Flame of Udun - So iconic, it even colours the Moria symbol red. Keep.
Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul - the most meta defining card ever. Certainly the best Uncommon. Keep.
The Witch King, Lord of Angmar - Ulaire Cantea is very good, but not as iconic. Keep.
Morgul Hunter - the only [Sauron] minion you could have, but he's horrible in comparison to the rest of the cards. I'm going to swap it out for Hate, though. Savagery can be my swap for SotSF.
Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer - one common companion is better, and that's Sam, Son of Hamfast. He's X-ed only after Movie, so I won't hold that against him.
Mithril Coat - I prefer Gandalf's Staff as an artifact. Plus that keeps two [Gandalf] cards.

And I said that I'd add one more card. I am going for Merry, Friend to Sam. They never made a better Merry.

So to summarise:
Swap Gimli's Battle Axe for Aragorn's Bow
Swap Servant of the Secret Fire for Savagery to Match Their Numbers
Swap Aragorn, RotN for Aragorn, HttWC
Swap Boromir, LoG for Boromir, DoMT and Merry, FtS
Swap The Saga of Elendil for Goblin Armoury
Swap Lurtz, SoI for Saruman, KoI
Swap Cave Troll of Moria, SotBP for Elrond, HtGG
Swap Morgul Hunter for Hate
Swap Frodo, RA for Sam, SoH

So it turns out I don't care if a card was X-ed. If you really don't like them being there, don't make those swaps, except for SotSF for Hate and keep Morgul Hunter.

Any differing opinions?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:01:57 AM by Legion »