LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Collecting LOTR TCG sets in 2020  (Read 2984 times)

June 28, 2020, 10:00:21 AM
Read 2984 times

Moro

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Collecting LOTR TCG sets in 2020
« on: June 28, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »
Hi,

it used to be a childhood dream but recently I've started to wonder - how much money and effort would it take to collect all the sets 1-19 nowadays? No foils, no promos 0P - just all the cards from regular sets listings. Any hints or recommendations?

From what I've searched it's pretty hard and expensive to get some of the expansions. What is more, shipment to Europe is causing some serious $ problem (since most of the cards are available on ebay auctions from US/Australia). I was interested in buying whole complete sets but apparently it would be easier to collect it via some smaller "collection" auctions. But I cannot afford that due to shipment costs ;-) From what I've calculated, it is just not worth it - digital collection must be enough.

I am just curious - what are your experiences with such an undertaking?

June 28, 2020, 05:19:21 PM
Reply #1

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
Re: Collecting LOTR TCG sets in 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:19:21 PM »
Hi,

it used to be a childhood dream but recently I've started to wonder - how much money and effort would it take to collect all the sets 1-19 nowadays? No foils, no promos 0P - just all the cards from regular sets listings. Any hints or recommendations?

From what I've searched it's pretty hard and expensive to get some of the expansions. What is more, shipment to Europe is causing some serious $ problem (since most of the cards are available on ebay auctions from US/Australia). I was interested in buying whole complete sets but apparently it would be easier to collect it via some smaller "collection" auctions. But I cannot afford that due to shipment costs ;-) From what I've calculated, it is just not worth it - digital collection must be enough.

I am just curious - what are your experiences with such an undertaking?

I'm a little under 300 cards from completing 1-10. I would not recommend collecting 13-18 unless you want to pay heavy prices from those sets (saw set 18 for $680). The max a set would cost in the first 10 is about $100-150. As far as investing goes (which I don't think is your goal), it would also be bad because the sets that are rare haven't really increased that much in price to justify it. Since I'm from the US, I'm afraid I won't be able to give you tips about specific things especially since COVID-19 cases are rising fast (around the world) and that could hinder shipping.

TLDR; don't collect past set 12 (maybe 13) except set 19.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:21:58 PM by SGollum »
Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

June 28, 2020, 07:52:07 PM
Reply #2

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 07:52:07 PM »
Many foils and promos are easier to get than sets 17-18. 

I got all of my 1-10 single set from eBay, buying whole sets and jumping on lots if they looked interesting.  If I had to guess, I spent probably around $600ish back then, and things have only gotten more expensive since then.  The easy parts (sets 1, 2, 4) are still easy to get, but the rarer parts (3, 9) have been snapped up. 

And it gets worse post-shadows.  I don't think it's exaggeration to say that you could spend a few thousand getting 11-19, although most of that would be in the last few sets.

Digital play is the way to go.  If you care about playing the game, there's no point flipping cardboard around anyway.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

June 29, 2020, 06:06:34 AM
Reply #3

Moro

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 06:06:34 AM »
Thanks a lot for valuable feedback ;-)

I am afraid that the sick collector inside me lives the rule "everything or nothing". If it's impossible to get it all (with reasonable resources) I think I'll just let it go and enjoy online gaming and access to digital resources (maybe from time to time I'll find a good deal on local auctions and be happy with that).

June 29, 2020, 08:05:54 AM
Reply #4

FingolfinFinwe

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:05:54 AM »
Thanks a lot for valuable feedback ;-)

I am afraid that the sick collector inside me lives the rule "everything or nothing". If it's impossible to get it all (with reasonable resources) I think I'll just let it go and enjoy online gaming and access to digital resources (maybe from time to time I'll find a good deal on local auctions and be happy with that).

Unfortunately I do think that it is no longer possible to get everything for 'reasonable' prices, but I grant that this is subjective.  You can get full sets of Rise of Saruman and Treachery and Deceit (no foils) for around $500-$600 each.  For Hunters, IF you can find a deal then maybe it could run $750, otherwise I'd guess closer to $8-900.  After that it isn't too bad per set, but it still add up.  In all unless you find killer deals you'd likely be spending over $3500 for all sets 1-19, not including foils or promos.

July 14, 2020, 12:31:47 PM
Reply #5

HennessyVSOP

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »
I returned to the game after some time of playing and taking brakes. I actually missed totally the Hunters block era and this is quite the point, where you really has to think twice.
I currently have 4 copies of 100% 1-3, 99% of 4-6, 75% of 7,8,10. I am around halfway of complete playsets in 11-13. Hunters, RoS and T&D would be nice, if I would have at least one set of each, but even at prices which Fingolfinwe mentions, it is hard to get it. Foils are also getting unpleasently expensive and out of stock everywhere, especially things like fellowship companions, nazguls etc.
And finally, I am also from Europe. You can automatically add 20% for VAT + shipping on all purchases, as European market is dry at this moment.

If you really want to get some cards, you should be patient and start with some big drop ebay auction. There was one with 2000 rares (from sets 1-10 mainly) recently. The price climbed to 750GBP though...

PS: as for the price climb - I am pretty sure, that most of the cards climbed up a lot! Both for sealed booster boxes and for individual cards. I remember buying top rares like Saruman KoI for a dollar 5-6 years ago...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:33:54 PM by HennessyVSOP »

August 02, 2020, 03:25:20 AM
Reply #6

Moro

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 03:25:20 AM »
I've done some more research over last month and maybe if I was living in the US I would give it a try :) otherwise this becomes ridiculously expensive and it is just not worth it in my opinion. But lesson learned (again) is - buy such things on release or directly after the series gets cancelled (when players sell out massively their collections). Not later.