LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #11  (Read 2260 times)

July 05, 2020, 09:48:48 PM
Read 2260 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #11
« on: July 05, 2020, 09:48:48 PM »
    Welcome to Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs!

Each week I'll post the collector's information for one of the cards in the set's card-list.

Contestants are free to create whatever card they see fit for that slot in the card-list, keeping in mind the surrounding cards. As the contest progresses, the card-list will become more and more defined, guiding the contestants' choices.

The theme of our set is Lairs! You're free to interpret this however you want.

Not every card has to fit the theme, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when coming up with entries.

Each week a poll will go up for the previous week's entries. Simply vote for one you like the most. In the event of a tie, I'll let a random result generator make the decision - but each of the tied cards will appear in the final set card list.

On to Stuff!

Last week's winner...
    menace64 pushes against Gondor and adds another Gollum card to the set with Worse Than Orcs.

Last week's entries to pick from for Card #18...

Quote from: Entry #1
    [3] •The Mouth of Sauron, Horseman in the Night [Sauron]
    Minion • Man
    Strength 9  Vitality 3  Site 4
    Shadow: At region X, remove a threat to make a character (except the Ring-bearer) strength -X until the regroup phase. The Free Peoples player may add [2] instead.
    Maneuver: Shuffle X Orc or Man minions into your draw deck to add X threats.
    "'Consider well, but not too long.'"

Designer's notes:
    Play a force of Orc/Man minions and postpone the assault (shuffle them into deck) to threaten Erebor. Or convert your threats into resources to turn those words into action, if Dain Ironfoot doesn't yield and snitch on dear old Bilbo.
    As the game advances, the Maneuver skill will enrich your deck's minion ratio, while the Shadow one will be favouring twilight addition, allowing to play those minions in big groups for a much more brutal Region 3 confrontation.

Quote from: Entry #2
    [2] •Merry, Rider of Rohan [Rohan]
    Companion • Hobbit
    Strength 5 Vitality 4 Theoden signet
    Maneuver: If Eowyn is mounted, you may stack Merry on Eowyn and add his strength to her until the Regroup phase.

Designer's Notes: stacking Merry would remove all his wounds, possessions, artifacts, followers, and conditions (see Web). This is especially a companion version of a follower. This card does not add vitality or resistance because there is no mention in the rules and the card infers it.

Quote from: Entry #3
    [3] •Udûn Lieutenant [Sauron]
    Minion • Orc
    Strength: 11
    Vitality: 2
    Site Number: 7
    Enduring. To play, exert a [Sauron] Orc.
    Shadow: Discard a [Sauron] Orc to draw 2 cards.
    Skirmish: Discard a [Sauron] Orc to make a [Sauron] Orc strength +3.
    Regroup: Discard a [Sauron] Orc to add [4].
    "'Not much use are you, you little snufflers?'"

Designer's notes:
    I've been thinking a lot about what an Udun subculture might look like, and I figure "wanton disregard for Orcs" is the way to go. I also think Udun Orcs should be Dunland-esque pushed in the strength department, and many of them would be enduring to illustrate how bathed in Sauron's evil they've become.
    "To play, exert a [Sauron] Orc." would be a common theme in the Udun subculture, to easily fuel their enduring boosts.

Quote from: Entry #4
    [2] Southern Stranger [Wraith]
    Minion • Man
    Strength: 6
    Vitality: 1
    Site: 2
    Nazgul may not use maneuver special abilities.
    When you play this minion, reveal X [Wraith] cards from your hand (limit 5). The Free Peoples player must add [X] or make the number of burdens that any player may spot +X until the regroup phase.  
    "'An account of your performance would be very interesting to certain people. It seems to me only too likely that they will hear of it before this night is over.'"

Designer's notes:
    The [Wraith] culture introduced a handful of cards which had not-insignificant burden-spotting requirements in sets 1-3, namely Ulaire Toldea, MoM, Dark Whispers, Nazgul Sword, They Will Find the Ring, and Threshold of Shadow. As devoting significant resources to adding burdens in a non-corruption deck was impractical (and these cards had no place in a twilight Nazgul deck), these cards were generally lightly utilized at best. Additionally, from sets 1-6 the [Wraith] culture suffered from a lack of low-twillight cost supporting minions (a problem finally rectified in set 7).
    Southern Stranger allows the Shadow player to meet the spot requirements of these cards, while not actually adding any burdens (note that the Ring-bearer can't be corrupted by spotting burdens - they must be actually placed). Additionally, it gives the Shadow player the opportunity to bluff by selectively revealing (or not revealing) certain cards from hand in order to influence the Free Peoples player into selecting the option they want.

This week's contest is...
    Card #23!

This card is going to have some diverse entries! Let's see what you've got!

• A [Shire] card (after Merry, Conspirator)
    • An [Uruk] card
    • A [Wraith] card
    • A site
    • A Premium-slot card

Closing date: July 11th! Good luck!

:cheers: Lairs Card List  :cheers:
    Number - Name - (Culture • Type) - Contestant - Week it won
    2. •Stronghold of the Adorn River ([Dunland] • Possession) - Durin's Heir - 3
    3. •Balin, Lord of Moria ([Dwarven] • Ally) - menace64 - 8
    5. Sméagol Lied ([Gollum] • Event) - SGollum - 4
    6. Worse Than Orcs ([Gollum] • Event) - menace64 - 9
    8. Sheltered Hollow ([Gondor] • Condition) - TelTura - 6
    14. •Wrested Kingdom ([Moria] • Condition) - menace64 - 1
    16. •Úlairë Attëa, Khamûl ([Raider] • Minion) - SGollum - 7
    18. SUBJECT OF THIS WEEK'S VOTE
    20. •Bag End Hearth ([Shire] • Condition) - Inspire - 2
    21. •Merry, Conspirator ([Shire] • Companion) - Inspire - 5
    23. IN CREATION THIS WEEK

The Misadventure Deck (cards that lost due to tied-decision but will appear in final cardlist! Maybe?)
    26. •Durin's Axe, Omen of Fortune
    27. From Lowest Dungeon to Highest Peak
    28. Orkish Whip
    29. •Mountains of Shadow
    [/list]

July 06, 2020, 03:40:35 AM
    Reply #1

Legion

• Information Offline
    • Horseman
    Re: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #11
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 03:40:35 AM »
    [1] •Pippin, Co-Conspirator [Shire]
    Companion • Hobbit
    Strength: 3,
    Vitality: 4
    Signet: Frodo
    Each time you shuffle your hand into your deck, you may draw 3 cards.

July 06, 2020, 11:20:47 AM
    Reply #2

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    « Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 11:20:47 AM »
    Is it right to have Card #23 be a Premium one? Decipher made only 2 such cards per Set, 1 per Starter Pack. Otherwise said, how many Starter Packs will this Set have as maximum? Because if card #X is set as a Premium, and Premium cards go to the bottom, all successive ones will be forced to be Premium too.

Also, "Premium cards" is very open. Do you want them to be any card type, or only Characters as Decipher did?

---

Southern Stranger is also worrying me a bit. If it wins this voting round, it'd rule out any [Wraith] card proposed during this one for the next's vote; [Wraith] either goes after [Raider] or after [Uruk], but not both. Which leads to the question: where do you, master Menace, want [Wraith] to go?
    « Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:33:13 AM by Durin's Heir »
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

July 06, 2020, 11:59:15 AM
    Reply #3

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 11:59:15 AM »
    Quote from: Durin's Heir
    Is it right to have Card #23 be a Premium one? Decipher made only 2 such cards per Set, 1 per Starter Pack. Otherwise said, how many Starter Packs will this Set have as maximum? Because if card #X is set as a Premium, and Premium cards go to the bottom, all successive ones will be forced to be Premium too.

Also, "Premium cards" is very open. Do you want them to be any card type, or only Characters as Decipher did?

I am being maximally-inclusive. If somebody slots in a Premium card here, the set will just have at least 3 Premium cards in it. I imagine anybody writing a Premium card would make it a character, but again, I don't care if it ends up being something else.  :uh-huh:

Quote from: Durin's Heir
    Southern Stranger is also worrying me a bit. If it wins this voting round, it'd rule out any [Wraith] card proposed during this one for the next's vote; [Wraith] either goes after [Raider] or after [Uruk], but not both. Which leads to the question: where do you, master Menace, want [Wraith] to go?

lol yup I did end up getting tripped up by [Wraith] this time around. Let's just say I've learned my lesson regarding [Wraith] + [Orc] in a contest like this. This is one bump the Star Trek contest I'm parroting doesn't have to worry about, since ST's sets are organized by card type, not by culture. And none of their card types have changed names!

We'll fix it in post if anything funky shows up due to this issue. And in the next season we'll make darn sure to define our terms before starting!

July 06, 2020, 07:37:44 PM
    Reply #4

TelTura

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Administrator
      • Player's Council Discord
    « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 07:37:44 PM »
    [1] Barrow-downs
    Site
    Fellowship or Shadow: Spot a companion to play a Nazgul or Wraith from your discard pile; its twilight cost is -1 for each wound on that companion.

We can't have a theme of Lairs and neglect sites!  I feel like all of the empty chunk here is an obvious opportunity. 
    This card obviously started as just a shadow-based site, but then figured the flavor actually works for both sides, so why not. 
    Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

July 11, 2020, 04:05:59 PM
    Reply #5

SGollum

• Information Offline
    • Uruk-hai
    • The Smeags
    « Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 04:05:59 PM »
    [2] •The Black Gate
    Site
    While the Fellowship is at The Black Gate, each Orc and Man is strength +2.

(Forgive me if this card is OP because I don't play 11-19 much at all.)

Note: the card is meant to give Freeps men and Shadow men strength.
    « Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 04:08:29 PM by SGollum »
    Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

July 11, 2020, 08:56:29 PM
    Reply #6

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 08:56:29 PM »
    [8-K] Shelob's Lair [8]
    Site
    Lair. While any player spots Shelob and 4 threats (or 8 burdens), only Ring-bound companions may skirmish here.
    --->

I realize it should be "Mountain. Underground." but I don't want Balrogs showing up here.