LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Image Sources  (Read 1796 times)

July 20, 2020, 04:53:11 AM
Read 1796 times

Finarfin

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Image Sources
« on: July 20, 2020, 04:53:11 AM »
Hi everyone

Been having a go at the dream card generator app but finidng it quite hard to find good images. Does anyone have any tips for good places to get images for dream cards?

July 20, 2020, 12:20:03 PM
Reply #1

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
Re: Image Sources
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 12:20:03 PM »
So what I did is get the movie files ripped onto my computer, so I just pop into VLC and scrub around for good stills.

Menace has had decent luck just amassing a small library of clips from the movies on YouTube and doing the same thing there. And then there's Google, which can work decently well and can find you fan art for things PJ didn't do anyway.

Also (and this is tangential but related), I would stick to Double resolution as those are easier to provide. Huge is so monstrous that a full 1080p blu-ray rip doesn't actually fit in frame and has to be scaled up. Double is much more reasonable to fill.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

July 20, 2020, 02:50:51 PM
Reply #2

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 02:50:51 PM »
I also digitally touch-up every single image I source for a card. I slice the subject out of the frame and do a number of lighting edits to pull focus onto, well, the focus of the card. Ultimately, no image I source is 100%-from-the-film.

July 21, 2020, 02:16:59 PM
Reply #3

Finarfin

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 02:16:59 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. One more question while I'm here. How do you get the pictures to fit the box perfectly? Mine always seem to be either too wide or two thin and I end up with black lines either at the top and bottom or the sides of the picture.

July 21, 2020, 03:37:52 PM
Reply #4

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 03:37:52 PM »
The documentation (included as a PDF or at this google doc here) includes a table under "How do I...decide what size to make my portraits?" that tells you exactly what dimensions to use for a given size.

Also there is a portrait_templates folder that contains examples of each portrait variant, which you can use a guide.  I myself often just paste these images in as a new layer over my chosen image, reduce the canvas size to fit the new layer, then delete it and export the precisely-cropped image.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.