LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Son of Thranduil or Greenleaf  (Read 1382 times)

October 02, 2020, 05:16:09 AM
Read 1382 times

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Son of Thranduil or Greenleaf
« on: October 02, 2020, 05:16:09 AM »
Son of Thranduil or Greenleaf?

My instincts say Son of Thranduil, but logic seems to say Greenleaf (because there's an R in the bottom-right corner). Here's the probblem: Greenleaf is 2 wounds at best (3 wtih TToGG), but you have to hurt him to do it. While Legolas, SoT is 2 wounds at best, but you don't have to hurt him. And, forest and rivers seem to be fairly common in Fellowship Block. But what do you guys think?

October 02, 2020, 05:45:28 AM
Reply #1

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Re: Son of Thranduil or Greenleaf
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 05:45:28 AM »
I enjoy SoT for all the reasons you listed, but the key is that Greenleaf can provide wounds when and where you need them.  Need to kill off the 1-vitality mobs so that the shadow can't assign Frodo to a skirmish?  Need to 'burst' a big minion before the skirmish phase?  Greenleaf can do that for you.

Also, Greenleaf synergizes well with things like Aragorn's bow and a ranger's versatility.

Edit: also, while there are lots of river/forest sites, unless you plan to be in second place or are investing in site path manipulation, your opponent might not be using very many of them, reducing the bonus for SoT.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:03:15 AM by Air Power »
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

October 02, 2020, 09:57:51 AM
Reply #2

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 09:57:51 AM »
True, true. Frankly, they both have their advantages and drawbacks, and they both have their place. (Just like even Prince of Mirkwood does, sometimes.)
But in the end, Greenleaf is probably the better one, especially with combined with other wounding. E. g. Rumil, EP, Orophin, LB, and, like you said, Aragorn's Bow and A Ranger's Versatility.

October 02, 2020, 11:36:32 AM
Reply #3

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 11:36:32 AM »
This is basically the age-old question between DPS and Alpha. In a game called EVE Online, there are (broadly) two types of guns: those with a high sustained Damage Per Second on average, and those with a HUGE amount of damage per shot (Alpha) but that then take 30 seconds or more to reload before firing again (meaning that when you average it out, their DPS is pitiful).

So should you aim to have 1.4 arrows-per-site, or 3 wounds on a single minion on maybe one or two sites before dying gloriously? Answer is of course "it depends".

In EVE, the answer is almost always to go for the high DPS, with one exception: if you are in an organized group with support. In such a case, a single fleet commander directing 50 people to all point their artillery at one target will turn that target into paste before they can even think about calling for repairs. Who cares about a reload time when you only need one shot?

Likewise, Greenleaf shines when you set up the support structure to give him regular heals. Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad, Galadriel, Lady of Light, Frodo's Pipe, and Tale of Gil-galad can all keep the one-elf gatling gun shooting. Once set up, the question then becomes "do I want 1, maybe 2 indirect wounds; or do I want 3 directed wounds whenever I want, and 1 indirect wound when I don't."  Who cares about being exhausted when all the minions that matter are dead?

Greenleaf can also work as a splash companion when you want him to snipe someone and then also eat a skirmish. Imo Son of Thranduil shines best when you want Legolas to actually fight and win skirmishes and the archery is just a bonus.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

October 02, 2020, 03:20:45 PM
Reply #4

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 03:20:45 PM »
The only deck in fellowship block I'd use Son of Thranduil is an Archery massacre deck. The type that doesn't let a single minion fight. In all other decks, Greenleaf will likely be better as his ability allows you to actually kill a minion instead of tickling one (or two).

Such decks can work. My one used SoT with King in Exile, TSotB, ARV and a few Gondor Bowmen, with PAthS for anyone who gets through that archery. There is a choice between Boromir (with Horn to set an archer loose and frees up vitality for Aragorn's bow when using Gondor Bowmen) and Haldir (with an Elven Bow). Boromir's probably better, but I found Haldir fun. You do need to choke hard, as if you pee in the pool, too many minions will hit the table, so NSttS is necessary. I didn't even play Ranger's Sword. If it gets through archery, it'll bludgeon you.

Remember in Fellowship Block, no site 4 or 5 is a forest or River (useful for Legoland and ARV). So you need Hobbit Stealth (especially as Durin's Bane is two kills otherwise. However, all sites 7 and 8 are rivers (though still play one pathfinder to avoid Anduin Wilderland and Anduin Confluence). If you pair this with trackers, Tol Brandir is also a river, but you probably won't want to use this.

The deck decimates Nazgul. Even if they think they have you with three Relentless Charge, ARV and Release the Angry Flood are amazing. ARV also destroys Saruman, KoI. Isengard Warrior is an issue, but nobody plays Isen Orcs. SS support obviously necessary for Wreathed in Shadow, His Terrible Servants and Goblin Armoury.