LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: LOTRO File Dump  (Read 2822 times)

October 24, 2020, 01:26:56 AM
Read 2822 times

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
LOTRO File Dump
« on: October 24, 2020, 01:26:56 AM »
(The links to this data aren't new, but I realized that there wasn't a dedicated thread for them, so here we are.)

The Lord of the Rings Online game was a graphical game client ran by World's Apart (later bought by Sony) that people could use to play other people online from about 2003 to 2010.  Until gemp came along, it was the only option if one wanted all the game rules to be enforced by the computer.

Some people (morvael, mostly) have done the work to extract and convert the client's files into something usable by others, and I'd like to put links to those files here:

Full game client (can be used as a collection manager but otherwise won't let you play the game since the servers haven't been up for a decade): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bqi3xgZgS5ImxKorKHdIc99vI2nGnLLM

Extracted game files (card templates, card portrait images, UI-related images, fonts, etc): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rCaqq1bFl_zJy2FV2MsHn84x4BdtHlUM

Raw card data (binary card information as encoded by the game, don't bother using this if you don't know what a hex editor is): https://drive.google.com/open?id=13fqdKb2Oq44TA3hg40fbnA2ZqrRxUzsZ

Extracted card data (just a regular CSV spreadsheet of all the card data): https://drive.google.com/open?id=16RUWn8dDLqHnr0AUjL7WGMvQbJjrgbAv

The card data in particular is interesting; since it is completely separate from what resources we've cobbled together here at TLHH, it's possible to compare the two sets of data and identify typos and other incorrect data missing from either source.  It also contains translated text into a few languages other than English.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 01:46:56 AM by TelTura »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

October 24, 2020, 01:43:56 AM
Reply #1

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
Re: LOTRO File Dump
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 01:43:56 AM »
Folder structure in the image dump:

Sample of what the card portraits look like:

Here you can see that full art cards such as Rings are included in full, while individual card portraits are cropped.  Sometimes these images are cropped from the website images and thus include elements of the card template, and other times the image appears to be sourced from the original Decipher files.  Stronger and More Terrible, for instance, is more zoomed out than what we eventually got and you can see the timestamp information from the original film overlay indicating it was sourced from something rawer than the actual shot in the film:

(This is full size.  As you can see, at 174x138 the resolution is horrible and does not look great when upscaled.)

Sample of the templates:

All of these templates are lower resolution than the images we have on the wiki, and as a result they're inferior to the templates we've already got.  However, there are some gems here such as Masterwork templates, which might work as a starting point for anyone looking to upscale those into something compatible with what we've already got:

I myself haven't done so yet because the AI scale process I use does not work nearly so well on these lower res images as they did for the slightly higher ones shopped from the wiki-size images (240 x 335 vs 357 x 497).  If anyone wants to take a crack at it, tho, be my guest (and let me know if you come up with something usable!).
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

October 24, 2020, 05:34:18 AM
Reply #2

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 05:34:18 AM »
Great, thank you for the help!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:29:01 AM by JamesCB »

December 11, 2020, 09:18:15 AM
Reply #3

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 09:18:15 AM »
Using this up-reser, I made the Gondor and Gandalf masterworks.

Size 1 Gondor:

Size 2 Gondor:

Size 3 Gondor:

Size 1 Gandalf:

Size 2 Gandalf:

Size 3 Gandalf:

The up-reser had an odd affect on the templates... almost making them cartoony?

December 11, 2020, 09:21:23 AM
Reply #4

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 09:21:23 AM »
Later today I'll run the same ones through the AI scaler I use and we can compare notes.

December 11, 2020, 04:15:10 PM
Reply #5

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 04:15:10 PM »
Just curious if the AI res scaler that you use results in better quality than a high-res scan of phsyical cards?

December 11, 2020, 04:45:55 PM
Reply #6

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 04:45:55 PM »
Here is 12O1 (The White Rider)  and 12O2 (Faramir, Dunadan of Gondor) using size 2:

December 11, 2020, 04:47:22 PM
Reply #7

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 04:47:22 PM »
Just curious if the AI res scaler that you use results in better quality than a high-res scan of physical cards?

Higher res? Yes.
Higher quality? I don't know. Notice how they kind of get mangled (though that may be due to the original ones being too low resolution to get enough detail.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 04:49:23 PM by JamesCB »

December 11, 2020, 11:12:36 PM
Reply #8

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 11:12:36 PM »
Just curious if the AI res scaler that you use results in better quality than a high-res scan of phsyical cards?

Yes, actually.  If you look very very closely at high-res print scans you'll notice the dots that the printer used, which will show up either as clusters of color or banding in the scan:

The above image is rescaled, but you can see the banding in the clouds which is a result of scanning artifacts. 

The AI-scaled stuff is operating on a cleaner, if lower-res source, and they do a phenomenal job of smoothing out the wrinkles.  Click this image and zoom in to see the detail that it produces:

December 11, 2020, 11:30:52 PM
Reply #9

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 11:30:52 PM »
Here's the results of the AI-scaling service I use (https://deep-image.ai).  James' results on the left, mine on the right:

(mine are a 4x up-res, which would need to be further up-rezzed by 2x at least to be able to match the Huge style templates which we have for the standard templates.)

I was prepared at a cursory glance to declare mine the winner, but there's actually some details that James' actually do better on, notably the symbols in the center of the game text area such as the white tree.

I may have to take this into account and maybe up-res everything twice, taking the best details of each service as they come.