LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Lost to the Goblins Bomb  (Read 3083 times)

November 25, 2020, 06:58:04 PM
Read 3083 times

Abbott465

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Lost to the Goblins Bomb
« on: November 25, 2020, 06:58:04 PM »
Hi guys!

Has anyone ever bothered to make a Lost to the Goblins bomb deck? I'm trying to design something. I loosely have a Shadow made but I'm struggling to find a good Fellowship for the deck. It's hard not to clog up.

How do you guys wound/exert the RB? I'm trying out Worry but it's hard to pull off without Savagery to Match their numbers...
Never had much hope. Just a Fools Hope.

November 26, 2020, 12:09:51 AM
Reply #1

Abbott465

• Information Offline
  • Scout

November 26, 2020, 05:22:46 AM
Reply #2

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll

November 26, 2020, 06:03:24 AM
Reply #3

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Lost to the Goblins Bomb
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 06:03:24 AM »
This deck really doesn't come to life until Movie block with Gollum, Dark as Darkness to trigger it when the time is right. You can try your best to make it work here but between the twilight choke, Sting seeing what you're trying to do, and inability to control if / when the bomb actually goes off, it's going to be a hard sell. All that said, there is some room for improvement in the attempt. When you're going for a specific combo to win for you, your entire deck needs to be focused on that one combo. At 46/46 you'll be lucky to add 5 burdens over the course of the game, so it's time to bust out the chainsaw and trim this deck on down. If you want a real bomb you won't try to add burdens gradually and instead drop all 4 LttG at once. It's better this way too, since Sam, Son of Hamfast can kill any hope of winning by removing his 3 burdens.

Your Shadow side has a lot of cards that don't contribute to the win (corrupting the Ring-bearer) and will only slow you down. Bitter Hatred, Goblin Swarms, Moria Axe, and Archer Commander have no place here since you're not trying to win skirmishes or wound anyone else. Even Shotgun Enquea should be one copy at most, but I'd just get rid of it. Add 4 copies of Goblin Sneak (absolutely mandatory) and we're still at 40. I can suggest further cuts (I'd ditch all the weapon stuff personally), but what matters is you get this down to a level where you can draw your entire deck: the goal is to end up with 3 archers (or 2 Moria Archer Troop and one Goblin Runner) on the table, 4 LttG in hand, and at least 12 minions in your deck from Goblin Sneak. Throw Yourself in Next Time can help dodge Sting (and keep the FP from exhausting Frodo to avoid the bomb) for those handful of games when you're not playing against Elven Allies or Gandalf, but you will have to make room for it somewhere. The smaller your deck, the earlier you'll be able to attempt the bomb.

So now your Shadow side has focus, your FP should help. There are some easy cuts if you wanted to trim down and keep the core (Legolas doesn't need items since he shouldn't be skirmishing except to die, for example), but I would recommend starting over and building a FP capable of doing two things: surviving up to site 8 and setting up your Shadow side. Gandalf, The Grey Pilgrim (or Friend of the Shirefolk); Elrond, Lord of Rivendell; and Ottar, Man of Laketown are the quintessential hand manipulation team in Fellowship block. You'll be operating with a gradually smaller hand as you draw your LttG, so being able to draw and discard to keep things flowing is essential. I'm sure you could find some examples easily by search for "Ottar, Man of Laketown" on the Fellowship board so I won't bother to sketch a deck out -- there are plenty of directions to take the FP, just keep their purpose in mind.

Depending on your FP you'll either want to go second or bid to go first and then let your opponent pass you (probably by hanging back at site 2), so the sites don't really matter until 7+ when you're gonna make your move -- before then it's mostly playing and replaying Goblin Sneak. I might suggest, since so few decks in FB don't have rangers and you wouldn't want to risk exhausting Frodo, swapping out Silverlode Banks for Anduin Confluence. You'll lose your allies, but it'll remove some pesky archery, healers, and potential condition discard from your enemy. Besides, the game will be over soon one way or the other: site 8 is the perfect place to drop your 3 minions and 4 LttG for a win, so you should already have the right cards in hand by now. You can try it at 7 too, though you'll need to make sure your top 3 cards (or top 2 and the extra card in your hand) are archers and you still have 12 minions in deck in case you have to try again at 8. By this time there are no FP cards left in your deck, so if you don't corrupt then your last hope is to swarm Frodo with the minion-only deck you've got.

Good luck!

November 26, 2020, 11:51:30 AM
Reply #4

Abbott465

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Lost to the Goblins Bomb
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 11:51:30 AM »
Phallen thank you for your thorough response! You've jogged my memory quite a bit. I used to be quite the deck builder back in the day but after 7 years of not making decks, it's been rough haha.

I'll post my updated Shadow after I get in a couple of games after dinner!