LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 2: Lords #7 - Back from Break!  (Read 1906 times)

December 20, 2020, 06:19:25 PM
Read 1906 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Fill in the Blank Season 2: Lords #7 - Back from Break!
« on: December 20, 2020, 06:19:25 PM »
Welcome to Fill in the Blank Season 2: Lords!

Lords is a Movie-block set - meaning no 11+ cultures, and [Wraith] is Ringwraith, not Wraith. Shadows-era sites are acceptable.

Each week I'll post the collector's information for one of the cards in the set's cardlist. Contestants are free to create whatever card they see fit for that slot in the card-list, keeping in mind the card titles of previously-victorious cards. As the contest progresses, the cardlist will become more and more defined, guiding the contestants' choices. Not every card has to fit the theme, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when coming up with submissions.

To become a contestant, you gotta do three things: PM me your card submission for the active round; Vote on the last round's submissions; and leave a Comment in the current round describing your vote (yes you can vote for yourself), along with any card reviews you wish to provide. (Any unclaimed votes are subject to invalidation!)

By constraining card submissions to PMs, I hope to buff some of the excitement each week, as well as develop a private line of communication with each contestant in order to help eliminate 8-liners and other basic formatting errors that typically kill a submission before it even makes it to a vote. This should also make each newly-posted round more exciting!

In case of a tie:
  • At first light on the fifth day of each round (Thursday), if two or more submissions are tied for the win, I will reset the votes and remove all losing submissions from the voting pool. During this second round of votes, you will still need to announce your vote.
  • On the last day of each round (Saturday), if we're somehow back into a tiebreaker situation, the winner of the previous round (The Tiecider) will step in to settle things once and for all.
  • (And if that person isn't available, I'll roll for it.)

If you every have any questions about what to do or who to do it to, please don't hesitate to ask!

Last week's winner...
Cw0rk takes the 30th slot with their most-lordly site, Barad-dur's Throne Hall! Apologies for delaying posting this card in a timely fashion, but hopefully the wait was worth it!

Last week's entries to pick from for Card #1...

...Are to be found in the first reply in this thread! This will (hopefully) make it easier for those on mobile devices to participate! \:D/

This week's contest is...

Card #6!

This week's submission must be:
  • A [Dwarven] card (after Dain Ironfoot, Lord of the Iron Hills... just to be safe!)
  • An [Elven] card (before Elven Rangers)
Not much to say about this week's submission. Have fun!

Closing Date: December 26th!

:cheers: LORDS Card List  :cheers:
Number - Name - (Culture • Type) - Contestant - Week It Won
1. SUBJECT OF THIS WEEK'S VOTE
6. IN CREATION THIS WEEK
7. Elven Rangers ([Elven] • Companion) - menace64 - 3
13. Den Overseer ([Isengard] • Minion) - Inspire - 4
15. •Saruman, Lord of Industry ([Isengard] • Minion) - azogsbane - 1
26. •Bilbo, Translator of Elvish Verse ([Shire] • Ally) - azogsbane - 2
30. Barad-dûr's Throne Hall (Site) - Cw0rk - 5

December 20, 2020, 06:19:49 PM
Reply #1

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
Re: Fill in the Blank Season 2: Lords #7 - Back from Break!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 06:19:49 PM »
Last week's entries to pick from for Card #1...

Quote from: Entry #1
[Ring] •The One Ring, Coveted Above All Else
(No modifiers)
The Ring-bearer is strength +1 for each card title for which you can spot four cards with that card title.
While wearing The One Ring, each time the Ring-bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.
Maneuver: Wear The One Ring until the regroup phase.
"It yearns to be found."
Designer's note: Not sure if there's space for lore, but I feel there is enough for the text at least. Not sure if it's playable: probably a slightly more flexible Such a Weight to Carry. Most good Shadows will pack condition discard, and some possession discard, but they need to be careful not to put out four of their own cards, too. Could be a bit of fun, though. Flexible early game. Could be strong late game. Who knows?

Quote from: Entry #2
[Ring] •The One Ring, His Creation
Strength +2
Vitality -1
While wearing The One Ring, each time bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.
Skirmish: Add [X] burdens to wear The One Ring until the regroup phase and discard a minion with twilight [X] bearer is skirmishing.
"'He only needs the One; for he made that ring himself, it is his.'"

Quote from: Entry #3
[Ring] •The One Ring, The Searching Ring
Strength +1
Vitality +2
At the end of any phase, you may spot no minions and no wounds and exert the Ring-bearer twice to wear the One Ring until the regroup phase, and to take a card into hand from your draw deck, without shuffling.
Designer's note: I wanted a ring that has nothing to with using it against wounds. With no burden to wound capability, the Ring-bearer will be heavily vulnerable to damage +1 minions and archery, hence the two vitality bonus. However, with healing, you will have whatever you think you need. With the right Ring-bearers, (mostly the vitality and healing heavy hobbits) you should be able to the cards you need, like companions to bear the possessions you drew to early.

Quote from: Entry #4
(0) •Envoy to Mount Fang [Dunland]
Condition • Support Area
Shadow: Exert Saruman to transfer this condition to your [Dunland] Man.
While this condition is borne by a Man, he may not take wounds (except during a skirmish) and your other conditions may not be discarded by an opponent.
"We will fight for you."
Designer's note: By tapping into Saruman's vitality, this card grants its bearer blanket-protection from non-combat wounds, while also giving your other conditions a measure of security. That being said, nothing about this card is perfect: Saruman's vitality is a precious resource; the Man can still get offed in a skirmish; and the condition itself can still be targeted for discard. But Freca welcomes the protection, and Grown Suddenly Tall is made hideously cost-inefficient once this card is active and transferred.

Quote from: Entry #5
(0) •Old Hatred [Dunland]
Condition • Support Area
The Free Peoples player must discard 2 cards from hand to assign [Dunland] Men played during skirmish phases.
"Not in half a thousand years have they forgotten their grievance that the lords of Gondor gave the Mark to Eorl the Young."
Designer's note: The only viable strategy for Dunland is site control. This card wants to change that by making [Dunland] discard (ex. Dunlending Rampager) and [Dunland] skirmish play from hand (ex. Dunlending Arsonist) viable. Unless countered, playing [Dunland] Men during the skirmish phase will turn them into Bill Ferny.

Quote from: Entry #6
[4] •Wulf, Vengeful Hillman [Dunland]
Minion • Man
Strength: 10
Vitality: 2
Site: 3
Fierce.
Each time a [Dunland] Man is discarded during the Shadow phase, you may make a [Dunland] Man strength +2, fierce, and unable to take wounds until the regroup phase.
"...and the Dunlendings seeing their chance came over the Isen and down from Isengard."
Designer's note: Since I speculate this set will be heavier towards FP, I wanted to write a fun lordly minion of some kind.

Quote from: Entry #7
[2] •Dáin Ironfoot, Lord of the Iron Hills [Dwarven]
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 7
Vitality: 3
While you can spot 3 Dwarves, you may draw (or take into hand) up to 6 cards during the fellowship phase instead of 4.
"‘Only in mining and building have we surpassed the old days. You should see… the halls and cavernous streets under the earth with arches carved like trees; and the terraces and towers upon the Mountain's sides!'"

December 22, 2020, 10:20:38 AM
Reply #2

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
I went with Wulf. Under other circumstances, I would be worried about the W ruining the chances of any other [Dunland] card in the set, but, I don't think we'll be seeing many other [Dunland] lords, and I wanted to give them this chance.

December 24, 2020, 04:13:37 PM
Reply #3

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 04:13:37 PM »
I don't want to vote for any of the Rings this week. CAAE is the best of the lot but suffers from highly-situational uselessness.

EtMF is my card and I also don't want to vote for it - but I might need to this week!

Old Hatred is nifty but I don't think the game has any way to monitor what phase a card enters play, so this sort of mechanic would be introducing a tracking element unseen elsewhere.

A second Wulf feels uninspired to me. A card can be lordly without being a character!

I really want to vote for Dain, but the rule of 4 is there for a reason and I think pushing that envelope is only inviting resurgent card-draw abuse, and by a culture already prone to this issue.

Yup. Envoy to Mount Fang gets my vote, hesitant though I am to self-vote again. I just think it's the most-solid entry this week.

December 24, 2020, 04:15:38 PM
Reply #4

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 04:15:38 PM »
Also: we currently have 4 votes but only 2 replies. As it stands those 2 votes are not being counted.

December 25, 2020, 06:58:41 AM
Reply #5

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 06:58:41 AM »
•The One Ring, Coveted Above All Else Creative but having 4 identical cards in play isn't that easy to pull off and the reward, making the RB strength +1 if you can pull it of once, doesn't seem good enough to justify using it. I would rather just use Such A Weigth to Carry unless you improve the reward.

•The One Ring, His Creation Not bad but you should use X instead of [X] as [X] refers to twilight. See Gandalf's Pipe.

•The One Ring, The Searching Ring That one is a bit too weird for me. The One Ring not adding burdens? No shuffling thus allowing you to scout your whole deck? Doing the ability during the fellowship phase as there are always no minions? Plus, The Binding Ring already exist to fetch stuff from the draw deck.

•Envoy to Mount Fang I like the feel of that card, the minion bearing the condition being the Envoy. However, I'm not sure if its good enough to include it in my [Dunland] decks unless I would decide to run 3-4 Sarumans (which I dont usually tend to do).

•Old Hatred Gets my vote so far. Not sure if good enough on its own but still improves two existing [Dunland] variants, oh and the quote is lordy I guess...

Wulf, Vengeful Hillman Interesting with Dunland discard variant but I feel that its time for cards other than characters to win.

•Dáin Ironfoot, Lord of the Iron Hills I don't mind this breaking the 4 cards rule but why should this Dain's twilight cost be 2 when Decipher already has one that costs (3)? Also, I would like to see at least 1 Dunland card in the set, which wont happen if this wins.

Edit: @menace what an amazing image you found for the throne hall! Well done!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 08:25:53 AM by Cw0rk »

December 25, 2020, 12:55:53 PM
Reply #6

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 12:55:53 PM »
Tough one this week. Ring 1 and 3 both don‘t seem ‚right‘ to me, not quite sure how viable #1 is and #3 bothers me mainly because of the no shuffle aspect which is utterly non-sense, dont see why it would do that, also it rises to many problems.
Ring #2 is my card and while i do like it, i dont feel like voting for myself this week.

EtMF is a hard Counter to direct wounding and nothing else pretty much. Although i hate dunland and their stupid conditions, even more if i cant discard them, i dont feel like this card would be worth it, as you‘d need EtMF, Saruman and a Man to protect ONLY to protect this one man (although it has nothing to do with Grown Suddenly Tall as this effect will never be active when GST is able to be played @menace???)

Old Hatred would ve earned my vote, had it a rephrase to ie „each time a Dunland Man is played during the skirmish phase, he gains following effect..." As it has been pointed out its not like anything we ve seen so far.

Wulf is.... interesting, not much into Dunland so i dont know how much ways they have to discard themselves during Shadow except with the help of the FP player, so I‘m not sure how useful it would be, but the reward is definitly big, +2, fierce and no wounds makes every boosted minion pretty much unstopable.

I like Dain, but I‘m not sure if I like him enough to give him my vote 2 weeks in a row.

So despite the controversials i went with Old Hatred in the end, maybe it would actually give Dunland another perspective and playstyle.
Go King Standard!

December 27, 2020, 04:31:39 PM
Reply #7

azogsbane

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 04:31:39 PM »
I voted for Wulf because I think Wild Men of the Hills, Dunlending Rampager, and Dunlending Renegade are a really neat idea, but one that often results in frustration. This Wulf would allow you to payback your opponent for discarding your minions. The subtitle "Vengeful Hillman" is appropriate.