LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Return of the King Box Opening  (Read 11802 times)

March 30, 2021, 03:50:12 AM
Reply #30

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Re: Return of the King Box Opening
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2021, 03:50:12 AM »

March 31, 2021, 04:11:09 AM
Reply #31

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker

April 01, 2021, 03:49:51 AM
Reply #32

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker

April 02, 2021, 03:45:57 AM
Reply #33

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker

April 07, 2021, 03:53:00 AM
Reply #37

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2021, 03:53:00 AM »

April 07, 2021, 04:10:45 AM
Reply #38

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2021, 04:10:45 AM »
Huh. I've never noticed that. I'll have to look into it.
[Goes into other room and comes back]
Okay I looked into it and as far as I can tell it was on purpose and to prevent him from skirmishing.

April 07, 2021, 06:34:36 AM
Reply #39

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2021, 06:34:36 AM »
Huh. I've never noticed that. I'll have to look into it.
[Goes into other room and comes back]
Okay I looked into it and as far as I can tell it was on purpose and to prevent him from skirmishing.

Thanks! Makes sense to me. Allies were heavy in Fellowship block, Rohan got villagers in Towers, and then by King the mechanic kind of fizzled. Just had to ask, though now that I think about it, Ents of Fangorn Elrond is still Home 3, meaning he will never skirmish without a Support of the Last Homely House or something in Tower onward.

April 07, 2021, 09:07:17 AM
Reply #40

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2021, 09:07:17 AM »
Yeah, they just gave up and decided Allies were more trouble than they're worth haha. It's thematic for Keeper of Nenya, Keeper of Vilya, and for the Rohan allies in King Block to have their home site represented by the previous block. I wonder if there's a particular reason they made Gondorian Merchant instead of a condition. I think the departure from allies on the whole was a real shame for both sides. Dunlending Warrior + War Club will always be one of my favorite combinations, but then Corsair Looter discarding allies so trivially shows Decipher got tired of them pretty quick... and then decided Followers were a suitable replacement :lol:

These posts are fun -- I thought I was pretty familiar with set 7 but haven't done well trying to guess the rarity of the cards every day :P I keep forgetting that Decipher often made the interesting cards rare instead of just the best or most popular ones.

April 08, 2021, 03:51:00 AM
Reply #41

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2021, 03:51:00 AM »
Yeah, they just gave up and decided Allies were more trouble than they're worth haha. It's thematic for Keeper of Nenya, Keeper of Vilya, and for the Rohan allies in King Block to have their home site represented by the previous block. I wonder if there's a particular reason they made Gondorian Merchant instead of a condition. I think the departure from allies on the whole was a real shame for both sides. Dunlending Warrior + War Club will always be one of my favorite combinations, but then Corsair Looter discarding allies so trivially shows Decipher got tired of them pretty quick... and then decided Followers were a suitable replacement :lol:

These posts are fun -- I thought I was pretty familiar with set 7 but haven't done well trying to guess the rarity of the cards every day :P I keep forgetting that Decipher often made the interesting cards rare instead of just the best or most popular ones.

I appreciate that you've been following along! It's been a real joy to be able to fill out my collection this way, especially since King Block stuff is way more scarce. It's taken some real willpower on my end not to just crack the entire box, but I think this way has allowed me more time to reflect and enjoy the journey, so to speak.

It's also a process. Open the pack, look at the cards, post it here, snag a pic to send to friends (who don't always know how to play, but appreciate me taking this journey as well), update my collecting file, then sort the cards into my collection box.

With three packs left (about to open one and just have two), it's kind of sad. I remember when I was like "Oh, I still have half a box left!".

April 08, 2021, 03:57:01 AM
Reply #42

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2021, 03:57:01 AM »
Pack 34

Smeagol, Hurried Guide
Man The Walls
Targon
Desert Fighter
Morgul Brawler
Mustering For Battle
Gorgoroth Troop
Orc Officer
Orc Pursuer
Tower Walkway
Sam, Resolute Halfling - foil

With 2 left to go, this was quite a pack. I've only opened maybe 3 foils for the entire box, which seems light to me, but getting a second R in a pack feels like a win, especially when it's a companion. This is also the first C Smeagol I own.

April 10, 2021, 05:28:55 AM
Reply #44

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2021, 05:28:55 AM »
Pack 36

Out Of Darkness
Hasty Repairs
Ranger of Minas Tirith
Easterling Attacker
Raider Bow
Morgul Spearman
Their Power Is In Terror
Ulaire Nelya, Assailing Minion
Mordor Regular
Frodo, Hope Of Free Peoples
Pelennor Plain

And with that, the box is opened. I feel like there were a lot of Ringwraith culture rares. I was cool with that, since they are probably my favorite King block culture (unless you count Sauron uruks).

Per my usual history with "core" boxes, I opened one major Fellowship companion - Samwise, and foil no less. Technically one can count Denethor and Eowyn, but I still was hoping for R Frodo at least.

I opened one Gondor Bow, which means I still need 3. I didn't think it was too much to hope for. I also didn't manage to pull a R One Ring. I've got two, but it never hurts to have a few more of those lying around!

Overall, I was thankful to have stumbled upon this treasure. I hope those checking things out enjoyed the journey as well.